Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Replies

• colmarie96
    colmarie96 Posts: 6 Member
    @colmarie96 To make a regular post, scroll down to bottom of this page, and you'll see a big rectangle. Type and then click "post reply".

I think I did it! Thanks, Julie!

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    @snoo61 Bravo! Making great progress!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    tehchix0r wrote: »
    I've always drunk, moderately. However, due to stress from multiple directions, last 6 months of 2017 my regular weekday included coming home and cracking a beer, then another one, sometimes a third. Beer was a reward of making it through the day. Weekends were beer and / or wine. I also smoke so it irritated my throat and it was sore all the time.
    In January, I started a very low carb diet. I don't drink beer anymore, if I want something comforting when I come back from work I just make myself dinner and eat it earlier. And my plan is to fit wine in just over the weekends. So far it worked, more or less. I drink wine 3-4 days per week, and moderately. I love wine and I enjoy it so much more when I just have a couple of glasses, with a homemade cheese platter or dark chocolate.
    I'm flying on Friday evening and I plan to skip the standard glass of wine!

Sounds like you are doing well! Your diet is under control and your beer intake is nil. Happy to hear about your journey!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    I've just found this board. I'm so impressed with the resolve and all the great support and suggestions. I've been fighting to reduce my alcohol intake for years. It has been slow and there has been backsliding, but I am getting it under control.
    I am making a point to measure how much I drink because it has been too easy just to "pour a little more" in the glass. I also started putting stickers in my calendar for completely drink-free days. I'm very visual and loved to see each month have more and more happy faces. Sounds childish when I write it, but it really worked for me.
    Oh, and I love the "damp" idea rather than dry. For people who can keep it under control, damp sounds so much less final.
    Happy March!

Happy you found us! I love the stickers idea. Some of us use the Dry January app as well. I like how aware you are about your limitations. We are all on the right track!

I love the Dry January app- I use it daily. It motivates me and it keeps me accountable. It allows you to put in your drinks and calculates units for you which is helpful because so many of us don’t realize how much we’re actually drinking.
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    ali3boys wrote: »
    Sundays are a killer for me. I mean, I am pretty good throughout the week, and moderate at best on Friday and Saturday (but all fit in my daily calorie goal), but when the Sunday blues kick in, it's devastating. Not only the caloric intake, it's the Monday feeling like trash, starting my week off out on a bad foot because of my low energy, half assed workout. Any thoughts?

I'm going to try to start incorporating fun exercise on Sunday's now that the weather is getting better. Followed up with a moderate treat whatever that maybe. Example; hike/lunch or bike ride/breakfast with or without a drink. Something physical... But out of my normal workout. It doesn't have to be a all day thing, but just a nice outing to get out of the house for a little bit. Good luck :)

Great idea. Change the channel.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    darcy08008 wrote: »
    I'm so glad I found this group!!

Welcome!! :)
  • Alzzi76
    erikNJ wrote: »
    Pretty miserable today. But tomorrow is my bi-weekly weigh-in and I am only 0.4 lbs away from my goal. So at least that will motivate me to go to the gym and stay on my diet

Well done on your weight loss!! B) I can imagine how excited you'd be so close. That awesome!!

I'm looking forward to the day when I am that close. I'm a third (was going to say "only" but that's negative) the way since last weigh in.
    The gym sound great especally for mind occupation.
    Have a great day.. :)
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,479 Member
    I just watched this. It was really great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMCTbaOWfJk&t=931s
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Alzzi76 wrote: »
    erikNJ wrote: »
    Pretty miserable today. But tomorrow is my bi-weekly weigh-in and I am only 0.4 lbs away from my goal. So at least that will motivate me to go to the gym and stay on my diet

Well done on your weight loss!! B) I can imagine how excited you'd be so close. That awesome!!

I'm looking forward to the day when I am that close. I'm a third (was going to say "only" but that's negative) the way since last weigh in.
    The gym sound great especally for mind occupation.
    Have a great day.. :)

Thank you!
    But I may have worded that wrong, lol. I meant I am only that far off from my bi-weekly goal. Still got a long way to go for my overall goal
  • Alzzi76
    Hey, how's everyone doing?? :)

I fell guilty bcoz I haven't seen much action today as some days. I hope with my earlier posts i haven't turned off people or made anyone loose focus.

Im sorry, i felt bad after i did it and couldnt change it.
    It's important i know, to feed on and to share positives..
    Im sorry :/
  • missanne11
    missanne11 Posts: 79 Member
    Alzzi76 wrote: »
    Hey, how's everyone doing?? :)

I fell guilty bcoz I haven't seen much action today as some days. I hope with my earlier posts i haven't turned off people or made anyone loose focus.

Im sorry, i felt bad after i did it and couldnt change it.
    It's important i know, to feed on and to share positives..
    Im sorry :/

Oh my don't feel guilty. We're human. I think just being aware is a step up from before. Hang in there!
  • missanne11
    missanne11 Posts: 79 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    Went down to a pub last night to wait for take out dinner I had ordered. The pub was packed. I felt like a spy, observing each and every person sitting at the bar area and high top tables. Of course it was happy hour and alcohol was flowing freely. I had purchased an iced tea from the food area and took it into the pub area.

As I was sitting there I thought how many people would have still been chugging down beers, shots and mixed drinks if there were a chart or poster on the wall showing the number of units they should be consuming and not exceding?
    I was moved yesterday watching that video from the UK that I believe Jen had posted. We as normal people do not realize what an alcohol unit of measure is.

I watched as the bartender asked people if they "wanted another drink "(exact words). In reality when she served them it was a pint glass with 2.5 alcohol units in it. Yet we will swear we only had ONE OR TWO drinks if questioned. When it is truly 2.5 or 5 drinks.

Just an observation as I sipped my pint glass of iced tea.

I do find it funny as bars are so conscious of the booze amount it shares as $$. Hmm...
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    missanne11 wrote: »

I do find it funny as bars are so conscious of the booze amount it shares as $$. Hmm...

Yes and the more the persons bar tab comes to the more $$$ tip $$$ the bartender makes. Vicious cycle indeed. :/