Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Options

Replies

• alexisgonzal
    alexisgonzal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    See I feel it depends on how you approach it. I had an ex who was not very in shape at all himself, but he would always tell me I was too fat (I was a size zero at the time) So I lost more weight for him, was bulimic and anorexic for a long time, and only felt comfortable with myself once me and him were over. My boyfriend as of now likes thicker woman.. I'm currently a size 8 and he's never complained about my weight. Only recently have I decided it's time to lose weight because I'm not comfortable with how I look myself. I've lost 20 pounds and I'm trying to lose more. I asked him today if he was happy I was going to get skinny again and he said "No, I like you how you are now and I don't want you to change, but if it makes you happy then I'll be happy with it." I feel like thats how a S.O. should act about it. I think if it's a health issue or if your S.O. is not happy because of their own weight then it's time to say something and you should encourage them to be more fit. The best way I see to do that is by setting an example. Since I've lost the 20 pounds I've noticed my bf losing weight, my friend who has always been a plus size girl can finally go shopping in the normal sizes again, my best friend has jumped back on her diet, and my mom has lost a size as well because when people close to you start being healthy it makes you want to join in too. Especially when that person is a S.O. who would otherwise be bringing junk food around the house and joining in on lazy netflix binges instead of suggesting a green smoothie and workout. Start by insisting they come join you on a bike ride or start by bringing some healthy meal ideas to the table.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    See I feel it depends on how you approach it. I had an ex who was not very in shape at all himself, but he would always tell me I was too fat (I was a size zero at the time) So I lost more weight for him, was bulimic and anorexic for a long time, and only felt comfortable with myself once me and him were over. My boyfriend as of now likes thicker woman.. I'm currently a size 8 and he's never complained about my weight. Only recently have I decided it's time to lose weight because I'm not comfortable with how I look myself. I've lost 20 pounds and I'm trying to lose more. I asked him today if he was happy I was going to get skinny again and he said "No, I like you how you are now and I don't want you to change, but if it makes you happy then I'll be happy with it." I feel like thats how a S.O. should act about it. I think if it's a health issue or if your S.O. is not happy because of their own weight then it's time to say something and you should encourage them to be more fit. The best way I see to do that is by setting an example. Since I've lost the 20 pounds I've noticed my bf losing weight, my friend who has always been a plus size girl can finally go shopping in the normal sizes again, my best friend has jumped back on her diet, and my mom has lost a size as well because when people close to you start being healthy it makes you want to join in too. Especially when that person is a S.O. who would otherwise be bringing junk food around the house and joining in on lazy netflix binges instead of suggesting a green smoothie and workout. Start by insisting they come join you on a bike ride or start by bringing some healthy meal ideas to the table.

@alexisgonzal - It's great that you have impacted the people around you to be healthier.
  • MrsRoberts555
    MrsRoberts555 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is a difference in gaining/losing a few pounds, or having changed your overall behaviors that have caused weight change. Whether you have lost focus on being healthy and active and have gained a significant amount of weight or become excessively obsessed with dieting and become too thin.... it is the behavior, attitude and mindset that may be more alarming than the physical appearance. When this happens it should be expected for your loved one to step in and address it. If not them, then who cares enough? The truth hurts and that won’t change because we are human... we personalize emotionally. Especially with weight. In the same sense of addressing this... that spouse should be right by your side mentally, emotionally, and physically to help make the necessary changes to becoming a happier and healthier “one”
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    NO. I love my wife and, if she is struggling with weight or diet, I wouldn't think pointing out my perceived issues of her self image, would be helpful. What would be helpful is giving her a good example. Taking a responsibility in preparing healthy meals and adding some healthy activities to OUR life.

YOU are a keeper! And you can tell her I said so! :D
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    NO. I love my wife and, if she is struggling with weight or diet, I wouldn't think pointing out my perceived issues of her self image, would be helpful. What would be helpful is giving her a good example. Taking a responsibility in preparing healthy meals and adding some healthy activities to OUR life.

YOU are a keeper! And you can tell her I said so! :D

@positivepowers - Yea!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's baffling to me that people think their mate SHOULDN'T have anything to say about their weight. It's not like it doesn't impact their lives, too.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Can we have a candid and respectful conversation about this subject? I read on here frequently that a S.O/spouse should love your regardless of your weight....but isn't a part of love being open and honest with a person?

I want to be clear....I don't think anyone should demand a person to gain or lose weight.

Not demands, but one must be honest. Dr Willard Harley talks about emotional needs in his book "His Needs, Her Needs"

Having an attractive spouse is as much a valid emotional need as is having an honest spouse, or a spouse who will engage enthusiastically in conversation, or recreation or sex, or a whole host of needs.

One cannot DEMAND it, but it's not illegitimate to say that they are turned off by what someone is doing if they are not staying in shape.

If find little difference in the turn-off potential of a spouse who lets the emotional part of the relationship go by never dating, never sharing affection, never engaging in conversation and the turn-off potential of a spouse who doubles their body weight because they never exercise and make poor/selfish choices when it comes to nutrition.

The most damaging thing in a relationship is the expectation of unconditional love. Couples don't decide to marry because of a lack of conditions. If you really wanted unconditional relationships, then anyone would do.

You didn't just marry anyone. You married someone who met your emotional needs. Checked enough boxes on your checklist. In other words, they met the conditions you established for a spouse.

To then expect that person to unconditionally love you is one-sided and selfish.
  • Nadspee
    Nadspee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The most damaging thing in a relationship is the expectation of unconditional love. Couples don't decide to marry because of a lack of conditions. If you really wanted unconditional relationships, then anyone would do.

You didn't just marry anyone. You married someone who met your emotional needs. Checked enough boxes on your checklist. In other words, they met the conditions you established for a spouse.

To then expect that person to unconditionally love you is one-sided and selfish.

When you enter a relationship you don't automatically expect the other person to love you unconditionally from the first date. You develop a pattern of actions together overtime, putting each other before everything else. You start saying "We" instead of "I". That's what unconditional love is. It's the two of you deciding that your bond is the most precious gift in the world and doing everything you can together to protect it and nourish it. To me, the "checklist" logic is naive. If I had just been looking for someone to check off some boxes I could have settled for anyone with a penis and a brain. Unconditional love is the least selfish thing you can do, you are literally giving up the ability to only care about yourself, and instead promising to put your partnership before everything else. I consider my partners happiness, health, safety, emotions, etc. constantly, in everything I do. They are as important to me as my own. In that way, "I" don't even exist anymore the way I did when I was single.

With that said, I believe his body is his. He lives in it. I don't go to other peoples homes and tell them how to decorate. He shows me the same courtesy by not policing my body either. Our health is a different topic though. If he told me that he wants me to be a healthier weight so we can grow old together, I'd do it because it benefits both of us. I'd expect the same from him. To me that has nothing to do with "attractiveness".

Both of our looks have changed since we met and will continue to change as we age, but that doesn't effect how attracted we are to each other at all. I'm very in love with him. If he quadrupled his body weight I'd love him and still be attracted to him. If he turned green and his dick fell off, I'd still love him and would still be attracted to him. Nothing he could do to his "outside" would ever make him any less attractive to me because he's a lovely, caring, smart, kind, wonderful person and I choose to love him everyday.

If you're "turned off" by someone who's gained weight, I'd argue that you were never attracted to the parts of them that matter to begin with.
  • tbright1965
    Options
    Nadspee wrote: »

If you're "turned off" by someone who's gained weight, I'd argue that you were never attracted to the parts of them that matter to begin with.

That's the thing about human beings. Not only is their body theirs, but also their minds, their preferences.

You don't get to decide for another what really matters. So you can say and believe all you want regarding what "should" and "shouldn't" matter. But, if they are really a whole individual, they get to have a set of what matters and what doesn't that may not correspond with your list.

And that's ok. If it's not, do you really love that person, or just love the image of them you have determined they "should" be?

Be careful how you answer. You may find that your love has conditions after all. Imposing a view of what matters is a form of conditions, and therefore, not unconditional, but rather conditional love.

• STLBADGIRL
    Options

Not demands, but one must be honest. Dr Willard Harley talks about emotional needs in his book "His Needs, Her Needs"

Having an attractive spouse is as much a valid emotional need as is having an honest spouse, or a spouse who will engage enthusiastically in conversation, or recreation or sex, or a whole host of needs.

One cannot DEMAND it, but it's not illegitimate to say that they are turned off by what someone is doing if they are not staying in shape.

If find little difference in the turn-off potential of a spouse who lets the emotional part of the relationship go by never dating, never sharing affection, never engaging in conversation and the turn-off potential of a spouse who doubles their body weight because they never exercise and make poor/selfish choices when it comes to nutrition.

I need coffee before I respond to this. Some I agree with, but I disagree with unconditional love being “selfish” in a marriage. I will be back on this one.
  • tbright1965
    edited April 2018
    Options

I need coffee before I respond to this. Some I agree with, but I disagree with unconditional love being “selfish” in a marriage. I will be back on this one.

Selfish is my characterization based on my understanding of what unconditional love really is. It's essentially love me regardless what I do. If you have an affair, I have to love you because unconditional love. If you abuse me, I have to love you because you expect unconditional love.

Obviously, love isn't unconditional. If you abuse me or cheat on me, you destroy any romantic love I might have had for you.

(Not you specifically, just an example here.)

But don't take my word for it. Read Dr Harley himself:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8110_ul.html

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8110_ul2.html

Even on the emotional need for an attractive spouse:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3330_att.html

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5502_qa.html

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5502b_qa.html

I'd encourage you to read the first two paragraphs of his response in the second letter.

The need for an attractive spouse is no less valid than the need for a spouse who is a recreational partner, or engages in conversation, or sex, or earns a living, or picks up after themselves, and so on.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I think a spouse/partner can definitely voice their opinion of the others physical body and health. My husband and I have been married since we were young and have 2 teenagers. I love that my husband is just as attracted to me now as he was when we met. I like looking and feeling attractive. I like that my husband feels the same. I want us both to live long and healthy lives. I believe our marriage would fall apart if one of us was to ever become super morbidly obese but it's more of an issue on health rather than body itself. That's not healthy and to me it's like a slow painful suicide.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Being concerned about that person's health is always a reason to discuss something WITH compassion.

HOWEVER..... if you are with someone who criticizes, compares you to others, nags, or demands that you change yourself to what they think you should be, that's a big deal breaker to me. Nobody has the right to 'Demand' that you change your appearance, weight, boob size, hair, or anything else.

You are a beautiful lady. If someone is demanding anything like that, show him the door!
    Just my opinion.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can be concerned about their health but change is part of life, sagging is part of aging so appearance no say
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I think a small weight gain or loss especially in the setting of depression, pregnancy, or injury should be overlooked. I dont think it is ok to meet someone and you look a certain way, and then get lazy and gain a ton of weight and expect your SO to be happy about it.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    IMHO, it varies. If one has a history of anorexia, or other eating/ body image disorders, then yes.
    If one has fairly honest self image, then provably not.
  • missionpossible2013
    missionpossible2013 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes