JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,219 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    I'm doing no good again!
    I'm not exercising, I'm not drinking enough and I'm not staying in the green (only around 100ish calories but still) I just don't have the discipline to say NO.

Im.trying to think of the long term goals but I guess i don't believe it will happen!
    I just can't seem to focus enough!

Can someone repost the monthly goals from Apr-Aug? I need to start from scratch!

Hey Bex .... I am in the same boat as you. Just losing motivation! But .... we CAN DO THIS!! Remember how great we will feel in December.

SO I am like you .... taking these challenges, and just trying to do one or two a day. For me .... It is the drinking of water and only one snack in the evening.

So today ... gulp down those 8 glasses of water, and only ONE snack tonite! Remember ... I'll watching you ;)
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,092 Member
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    I'm doing no good again!
    I'm not exercising, I'm not drinking enough and I'm not staying in the green (only around 100ish calories but still) I just don't have the discipline to say NO.

Im.trying to think of the long term goals but I guess i don't believe it will happen!

Can someone repost the monthly goals from Apr-Aug? I need to start from scratch!

Hey Bex .... I am in the same boat as you. Just losing motivation! But .... we CAN DO THIS!! Remember how great we will feel in December.

SO I am like you .... taking these challenges, and just trying to do one or two a day. For me .... It is the drinking of water and only one snack in the evening.

So today ... gulp down those 8 glasses of water, and only ONE snack tonite! Remember ... I'll watching you ;)

Haha yessss my diet coach is back!
    I knew you were still feeling in a bit of a funk from the other day, I hope things are much better now!

I think I'm going to do the water and snacks too. Focus on the diet side of things at first!
    I'm watching you too hahaha.
  • mytime6630
    edited August 2018
    Options
    JFT, Thurs
    1. go to the gym!! This always starts my day out right :)
    2. log all food :/
    3. concentrate on water :/
    4. encourage someone on here. when we help others, it helps outself :)
    5. plan dinner (already planned - love my instant pot!!!) :/
    6. august challenge :/
    7. go out for a nice, slow evening walk with hubby :/
    8. get out my journal, and write down my feelings instead of eating them. :/

As you can see from all my sad faces ... not the best day again. But last nite ... I worked out in the yard, doing something I enjoy. I started a new flower bed, and just dug in the dirt.

For the past week, I have been so down in the dumps. Seeing my daughter getting worse again (for those who do not know, my daughter is very bright ... went to med school with a masters in occupational therapy. Then at age 23, started having many problems.. .. depression and anxiety, and severe panic attacks. She was diagnosed as schizoaffective disorder . which is a mild schizophrenia and bipolar). She has paranoia, which worsens when her meds are cut. She lived with us 5 years to get somewhat stabilized, and now has her own apartment, but she tells her doc she is doing better because she wants to work, so doctor is cutting meds .. we think too much. So we are just watching what we can, and letting the doc know what we observe. She comes out every nite, and sometimes just sits and crys, or acts scared of us or anything, so for a mom, that is the hardest thing... unable to do much. So I turn to food.

Anyhow .... last nite I figured I have got to snap out of this depression. I can't help anyone when I am down myself. So I forced myself to do what I enjoy ... gardening. I also love sewing, but even that did not sound like fun. You know... when you are down ... nothing sounds like fun.

But that got my day turned around, so I am hoping to get out of this slump! I started a new flower bed, and this weekend plan to move plants around, and maybe buy some new ones. I am also going to take my daughter out for a bike ride, or even just a ride in the car, which she enjoys. But ... I have to take care of myself. Self pity gets a person no where.

SO JFT, Friday
    1. April challenge -- 8+ cups of water
    2. May - 15 mins activity outside - go for a walk tonite.
    3. June - mindful eating/ avoid emotional eating
    4. July - pre-log main meals
    5. Aug - no late night snacking/ set kitchen closed time

August Challenge: Plan just ONE evening snack, then close the kitchen
    1: Evening snack was a hard boiled egg, kitchen closed at 9pm :)
    2: Planned on a HB egg, but had 1/4c. raisin bran and some milk. It is now 9:15 pm - so a little later, but only because I wanted to color my hair first! :)
    3: Was out late, and had a glass of wine at 10:00 -- hubby wanted popcorn, so I had a very small amount, but still ,that was at 10:30!!! >:):/ But ....... I still did not eat too much, just that the klondike bar was way more calories than I thought. Lesson ... look up calories FIRST!
    4 .. no evening snack, and did great all day :)
    5... Worrying about my daughter; emotional eating:) >:):/
    6 ... emotional eating >:):/:/
    7. ... emotional eating >:):/:/
    8. Just got home tonite ... so kitchen is closed :)
    9. got into chocolate covered almonds >:)
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    Do you mean the challenges? Roughly speaking these were...

Apr -drink at least 8 cups of water
    May - 15 mins activity outside
    June - mindful eating/ avoid emotional eating
    July - pre-log main meals
    Aug - no late night snacking/ set kitchen closed time

Bex I’m off work for the summer hols and at home with the kids so can really relate. The single most effective thing for me is to have lots of good stuff prepped so I don’t even have to think about it. Can you get your partner or parents to cover for half a day and then batch cook a load of tasty but healthy dishes to keep/freeze? Once you’ve got the recipes in your database it’s a doddle to plan and pre-log your day so you don’t even have to make the right decisions and track as you go. It’s all there done for you.

Maybe focus just on the food and once you feel more in a routine build in the exercise? Or the other way round? Just don’t try to do too much at once. You know how they say perfection is the enemy of the good? Hugs x

Thanks so much for your advice, I'm not gonna lie I hate meal prep lol! I ne er store it right, or defrost in time or it goes to waste! However, I could prep my snacks! Like chopping my carrots into batons rather than having to peel and chop when I'm already hungry!
    And thanks for posting the challenges! (that was what I meant lol!)
    I'm going to fast track them and do 2 of them this week and 2 next week to re-enforce the habit!
    I'm doing no good again!

I'm in a similar boat, and my eating has been dodgy as heck lately. Somehow "just for today" has turned into "just for today I can eat ALL THE FOODS and I'll do better tomorrow." I gutted it out yesterday and stayed under goal, but I really wanted to order Chinese delivery and send my calories right into the stratosphere. Which would be fine except that I've already been way over several times this week and didn't even log them because I was beyond caring.

In other words, BAH!

I need to remember that it's all about my habits and when I slip back into bad ones, it's easier to stay there than to refocus. I don't have a magic answer for either of us Bex (wish I did) but speaking for myself, as long as I'm trying, I'm usually not GAINING weight. I may not be moving in the right direction, but I'm not making it worse either, so trying is always better than not trying.

Good luck, I hope your day goes better!

Eugh yes you described it exactly. I've gone from I can do this just for one day!! To "oh well its just one day" but its not when you do it every day LOL!
    Yeah I suppose although it's been slow I am going in the right direction. I reckon if I do good this weekend I'll hopefully dropped a little more!

I'm right there with you too. I 100% agree with you Bex about the meal prep. It is just not something I do well at all. I do cut my and clean my vegetables and fruits to have in the fridge to grab but that's about it. I don't enjoy cooking at all, and wouldn't do it if I could get away with it.

I have found it a struggle a lot of days lately and I find the scale moves so slow even when I am behaving that it makes it hard to stay motivated. Maybe when the weather gets a bit cooler, I'll be able to put more of an effort into my walks and exercise. Right now I'm just moseying along.

I have to remind myself that I am not in a race and as long as the scale is moving down, even at a snails pace, it is still moving down. I just need to be patient. Like everything else in my life I want it now though!

Hi Ladies! You know by now what I say..." small steps ARE GIANT VICTORIES" . We didn't get this way overnight and it sure as heck isn't leaving us in one... We're WINNING WOMEN WARRIORS... whether it feels like it or not. Dog gone it!!! We got this!!... Heyyyyy, let's stop crying from our eyes and make the fat on our bodies cry(sweat)....lol….
    Let's show those scales we run the numbers game around here!! And darn it, our bad stock is going to plummet and we're investing in the hottest commodities today... OUR LIVES! OUR LOVES! OUR HEALTH!!!
    GO! GIRLS!!! WE ROCK!👏👏👏👏💕💕💕💕💕💕
  • mytime6630
    Options
    I'm doing no good again!

I knew you were still feeling in a bit of a funk from the other day, I hope things are much better now!

I think I'm going to do the water and snacks too. Focus on the diet side of things at first!

See ... you got me back on here!!! Last nite I was thinking I'm just going to take a break from everything ... and then I saw your post! I have to stay on here!! :D

The rest of the year will be our year! I am also going to just focus on water and snacks today ... no more self pity eating LOL!!!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,792 Member
    Options
    My Friday is about 1/2 over. I had chocolate milk with whipped topping last evening for dinner. But still the calories were not bad given my exercise. Justify, justify. Haven't eaten today-doc says do intermittent fasting? I am taking that to mean I do not have to eat breakfast daily. Have done 2 swim classes and showered. Took pills even if late. Waiting for handsome son to get out of shower and dressed. He said I was handsome and the dog as well. I said we were both female and handsome was not the right word. So SATURDAY looms-there's an 8:30 am water class-I think I can drag us out by then. That's 1. Exercise. 2. Calories must stay under goal. MORE THAN anything, sodium seems way high. I am telling myself the online entries here do not realize I never add salt. How does salsa have 1500 sodium for 1 cup. I don't put salt in salsa. Anyhow, 3. there's laundry still to be done.

In July when I was struggling to keep my calories in check each day, I gave up breakfast. I still eat it on Sunday's when I allow myself to go into maintenance and sometimes if I'm really hungry in the morning I will grab something but most of the time I don't eat breakfast except for my coffee. I have found that it helps with keeping my calorie count in check at least.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    JFT, Thurs
    1. go to the gym!! This always starts my day out right :)
    2. log all food :/
    3. concentrate on water :/
    4. encourage someone on here. when we help others, it helps outself :)
    5. plan dinner (already planned - love my instant pot!!!) :/
    6. august challenge :/
    7. go out for a nice, slow evening walk with hubby :/
    8. get out my journal, and write down my feelings instead of eating them. :/

As you can see from all my sad faces ... not the best day again. But last nite ... I worked out in the yard, doing something I enjoy. I started a new flower bed, and just dug in the dirt.

For the past week, I have been so down in the dumps. Seeing my daughter getting worse again (for those who do not know, my daughter is very bright ... went to med school with a masters in occupational therapy. Then at age 23, started having many problems.. .. depression and anxiety, and severe panic attacks. She was diagnosed as schizoaffective disorder . which is a mild schizophrenia and bipolar). She has paranoia, which worsens when her meds are cut. She lived with us 5 years to get somewhat stabilized, and now has her own apartment, but she tells her doc she is doing better because she wants to work, so doctor is cutting meds .. we think too much. So we are just watching what we can, and letting the doc know what we observe. She comes out every nite, and sometimes just sits and crys, or acts scared of us or anything, so for a mom, that is the hardest thing... unable to do much. So I turn to food.

Anyhow .... last nite I figured I have got to snap out of this depression. I can't help anyone when I am down myself. So I forced myself to do what I enjoy ... gardening. I also love sewing, but even that did not sound like fun. You know... when you are down ... nothing sounds like fun.

But that got my day turned around, so I am hoping to get out of this slump! I started a new flower bed, and this weekend plan to move plants around, and maybe buy some new ones. I am also going to take my daughter out for a bike ride, or even just a ride in the car, which she enjoys. But ... I have to take care of myself. Self pity gets a person no where.

SO JFT, Friday
    1. April challenge -- 8+ cups of water
    2. May - 15 mins activity outside - go for a walk tonite.
    3. June - mindful eating/ avoid emotional eating
    4. July - pre-log main meals
    5. Aug - no late night snacking/ set kitchen closed time

2: Planned on a HB egg, but had 1/4c. raisin bran and some milk. It is now 9:15 pm - so a little later, but only because I wanted to color my hair first! :)
    3: Was out late, and had a glass of wine at 10:00 -- hubby wanted popcorn, so I had a very small amount, but still ,that was at 10:30!!! >:):/ But ....... I still did not eat too much, just that the klondike bar was way more calories than I thought. Lesson ... look up calories FIRST!

As I've said several times I have suffered from depression off and on for years. You are so right, nothing sounds like fun. Even if it sounds like fun, you go and still don't feel like you are having fun. I don't have a quick easy solution to help you and believe me when I tell you I wish I did, but getting out actually does help it may not seem it when you are in the middle of it, but it really does looking back.

I have found the gratitude journal so helpful for me, I've also found since I started walking that it has been a big help. I love driving, that will be good for you and your daughter.

We are here for you!
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    JFT - Thursday August 9
    2L of Water - :) It was so hot I know I drank more than 2L just didn't track it.
    Calories in Green by 150 - :/ 141 but it was because I was actually hungry not just bored
    Outside 15 Minutes - :/ I don't think I made it. I did water the plants and stand outside with hubby for a few admiring them. Just too hot and smoky to be outside too long yesterday.
    Only one Evening Snack - :/ I had 1/2 more than I usually do.
    Write in Journal - :)
    Walk/Swim - :) I went swimming, only stayed 1/2 an hour. I thought most of the kids would be enjoying the outdoor pool or splash park. I was mistaken, way too many kids to enjoy swimming last night. Too many toys in the pool that kept floating over to the lap lane.

JFT - Friday August 10
    2L of Water
    Calories in Green by 150
    Outside 15 Minutes
    Only one Evening Snack
    Walk???
    Write in Journal

It is supposed to be hot again today, not as smoky though, so maybe I'll be able to get a walk in tonight. I would go later but my husband goes to bed early. If I was to fall or needed help there is no way in a million years he would hear the phone to come rescue me.

Going to spend the day with Kaitlyn tomorrow going to an antique store. We still have some items to pick up for her decorations for the wedding. I want to have most of this stuff done by October so we can start thinking about the invitations and all the other expenses that will be coming up. It seemed like such a long time when she set her date back in December. Now we are already less than 11 months away!

There was a shooting in my home province this morning. 4 people have died, 2 of them being police officers. They have the shooter in custody. Such a strange thing to hear about. NB is such an economically depressed province I'm not entirely surprised I guess.

Prayers😱🙏🙏... Hugs friend
  • Bex953172
    Options
    I'm doing no good again!

See ... you got me back on here!!! Last nite I was thinking I'm just going to take a break from everything ... and then I saw your post! I have to stay on here!! :D

The rest of the year will be our year! I am also going to just focus on water and snacks today ... no more self pity eating LOL!!!

No definitely not, no more, it ends today, it ends now! It's not doing either of us any good!

It must be so so so hard for you, with your daughter being the way she is, is there any other things that could help like Talking Therapies (CBT, counselling) or group therapy or support groups for people with her condition?
  • mytime6630
    Options
    No definitely not, no more, it ends today, it ends now! It's not doing either of us any good!

It must be so so so hard for you, with your daughter being the way she is, is there any other things that could help like Talking Therapies (CBT, counselling) or group therapy or support groups for people with her condition?

This is the biggest problem .... our daughter has zero insight ... she thinks it is everyone else. So she will not go to any support groups (because she is not like them she thinks). During her schooling as a occupational therapist. .. she actually volunteered at mental health places ... so she does not see herself as being this way. She does go to counseling at least ... but this therapist only lets our daughter talk about what she wants to talk about. I've been trying to get her to go to someone trained in CBT ... but again ... she does not think she needs that. So many times, we feel so helpless. She still blames us at times ... even when we've had 5 doctors tell her this is all genetic .. that we did not do anything wrong. When we first found out about her diagnosis, I went to group support for myself, but I found it to be so very depressing, so I quit going. It is very hard ... we feel pretty helpless, and all we can do is be there for her, and work and save enough money so hopefully she will not be on the streets someday :'(

But you are so right ..... it ends now! We have to take care of ourselves before we can help anyone else. Day 1 today ... right!!! I did so good last year until Halloween .... and I think thats the problem for me. I am about 15 pounds from being out of "overweight", so a part of me says this is enough ... but another part, darn, I want to get those 15 pounds off! I actually would like to get 25 off ... but its one pound at a time.

well ... guess I better get back to work! Hope you are doing great today??? Remember the water!!!!
  • Bex953172
    Options

This is the biggest problem .... our daughter has zero insight ... she thinks it is everyone else. So she will not go to any support groups (because she is not like them she thinks). During her schooling as a occupational therapist. .. she actually volunteered at mental health places ... so she does not see herself as being this way. She does go to counseling at least ... but this therapist only lets our daughter talk about what she wants to talk about. I've been trying to get her to go to someone trained in CBT ... but again ... she does not think she needs that. So many times, we feel so helpless. She still blames us at times ... even when we've had 5 doctors tell her this is all genetic .. that we did not do anything wrong. When we first found out about her diagnosis, I went to group support for myself, but I found it to be so very depressing, so I quit going. It is very hard ... we feel pretty helpless, and all we can do is be there for her, and work and save enough money so hopefully she will not be on the streets someday :'(

But you are so right ..... it ends now! We have to take care of ourselves before we can help anyone else. Day 1 today ... right!!! I did so good last year until Halloween .... and I think thats the problem for me. I am about 15 pounds from being out of "overweight", so a part of me says this is enough ... but another part, darn, I want to get those 15 pounds off! I actually would like to get 25 off ... but its one pound at a time.

well ... guess I better get back to work! Hope you are doing great today??? Remember the water!!!!

Struggling with the water a bit!
    It's 8.45, I've only had 3! If I can get 6 in before bed ill call that a success because it's more than I've been having recently!
    Kitchen is CLOSED.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Having such a long boring day at work. I am looking forward to having some challenges in my life again. I feel like I'm killing brain cells by the minute. I did just go for a quick little walk to get outside for 15 minutes and to try to wake myself up. LOL 33 Degrees, not as hot as yesterday and certainly not as smoky. I'll probably go for a walk tonight.
  • Bex953172
    Options
    So it's been exactly 1 hour since I last posted.

In that time I had one extra snack which I thought would be okay, it wasn't, it left me in -4 calories. But I was determined to be in the Green so I've just done 1 minute of jumping Jack's and I'm now at +7!
    I also got in 5 cups of water, totalling me at 8 for the day!
    My stomach is sloshing a bit lol!

I thought the night was over and ruined and I thought ah well never mind
    Well just goes to show how much can change in an hour!

And that is how it's done people. :sweat_smile:
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Rubbish evening for me. I’m an emotional wreck as the girls have never been abroad without me and my older daughter really didn’t want to go. I know they will have fun but I just feel a bit sad and sometimes I struggle with the fact that they now have to live two separate lives.

Anyway, a fail on emotional eating (I found the biscuits!) but otherwise an ok day. Not actually going to post goals for the weekend beyond getting in a bit of activity and fresh air. I’m actually currently a bit underweight after pushing so hard with exercise and worrying about maintenance. I think I just need to try and look after myself a bit. I have bought a couple of novels and am going to see my boyfriend after more than a month so hoping for some rest and good company to distract me.

Friday goals
    - stay positive! :| at least I was positive in front of the girls
    - Morning workout ✅
    - April to August challenges :| good for water and outside activity, not so much on the rest!
    - Have a lovely day with the girls ✅
    - Get them to his place for 7pm ✅
    - Rest ✅ earlier this afternoon. But stress since then

Weekend goals
    - stay active
    - Eat mindfully but make sure it’s enough
    - Be kind to myself

Happy Friday to you all - sorry to be such a grump! X
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    JFT:

Sorry so late, today has been to goofy to post. I'm too stressed and depressed to contribute. Sorry, I'll try again tomorrow. :disappointed:
  • mytime6630
    edited August 2018
    Options
    So it's been exactly 1 hour since I last posted.

In that time I had one extra snack which I thought would be okay, it wasn't, it left me in -4 calories. But I was determined to be in the Green so I've just done 1 minute of jumping Jack's and I'm now at +7!
    I also got in 5 cups of water, totalling me at 8 for the day!
    My stomach is sloshing a bit lol!

And that is how it's done people. :sweat_smile:

And that is how it's done people. :sweat_smile

Great job Bex!!!!! And we are BOTH going to make it 2 days in a row ..... right!!! ;)
  • mytime6630
    Options
    JFT, Friday
    1. April challenge -- 8+ cups of water :) 2 more cups to go ... but I can get that in before I go to bed
    2. May - 15 mins activity outside - go for a walk tonite. :) Hubby and I went for fish ... then just a short walk before I took my daughter out
    3. June - mindful eating/ avoid emotional eating :)
    4. July - pre-log main meals :)
    5. Aug - no late night snacking/ set kitchen closed time :) Had ONE fiber one bar ... and kitchen is now closes

JFT, Sat
    1. go to the gym
    2. april challenge - 8+ cups water
    3. may challenge - 15 min walk or better yet ... go for a bike ride!
    4. june challenge - mindful eating. Think before I eat!!
    5. july challenge - plan sundays meals. Breakfast and lunch are easy for me ... its dinner time where I get into trouble
    6. aug challenge , one snack, and close kitchen

10. Fiber one bar, and kitchen closed at 9 pm :)
  • mytime6630
    Options
    MLHC1 wrote: »
    JFT:

Sorry so late, today has been to goofy to post. I'm too stressed and depressed to contribute. Sorry, I'll try again tomorrow. :disappointed:

With all that you have going on ... happy to just see you post! Tomorrow is a new day!
  • mytime6630
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    Happy Friday to you all - sorry to be such a grump! X

You are not a grump! And I do hope your weekend is really relaxing for you.
  • Bex953172
    Options
    MLHC1 wrote: »
    JFT:

*hugs* we all have days like this!
    With everything you've had go on I'm not surprised! Hopefully tomorrow is a bit more relaxed for you!
    Xxx