WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    Alison, I’m doing KETO at my doctor’s advice. Dietdoctor.com has a lot of videos available. Take the free month then cancel the membership. Lots of good info on LCHF (KETO) diet. I’m aiming for 20 to 50 grams of net carbs a day. I’m not hungry at all on this diet. So good thing there!

RV Rita
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    1207906t5ef8adzuh.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.49min, 12.2amph, 140mhr, 1.5mi= 89c
    lateral machine- 40min, lvl 9, 148mhr, 65arpm, 3.25mi= 302c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.38min, 128mhr, 15.6amph, 1.4mi= 65c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 14.48min, 12.3amph, 148mhr, 3mi= 151c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 4.57min, 9.34min mi, 148mhr, .5mi= 62c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.01min, 8.54min mi, 154mhr, .4mi= 56c
    Bike ride dome 2 hm- 19.52min, 7.9amph, 148mhr, 2.6mi= 196c

total cal 921
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Dauchsmom: Welcome!!! :bigsmile:

Allie: Good luck with the new boss. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Pizza and Chinese food have loads of salt. I bet that a little extra water will wash it out of your system. :star:

Pip: I just checked my driver’s license and it doesn’t say my blood type. It does say that I am an organ donor. If there is a serious accident they have my permission to use whatever they want. I called my health care provider and they don’t record blood types and didn’t know where I could go to find out what mine is. My driver’s license says that I am an anatomical donor. Evidently they’ll type me when I pass away and they have my permission to use whatever they want. I wish I understood blood types better. :ohwell:

Lanette: We have had our first two frosts of the new year, barely touched yesterday and light frost on the lawn this morning. Our elevation is pretty low, 18 feet above sea level according to my phone. :star:

Cari in Cold, rainy North TX: We enjoy sweet potatoes and they are health food on our list. We generally cook them in the microwave and eat them with a tiny bit of margarine. They don’t need sweet sauces and are a nutritional powerhouse. My Auntie Mimi used to make a sweet potato dish that was full of real butter and added sugar. It was at least one toe over the line into candied yam territory, and possibly well into candy store territory. :embarassed:

Felicia: I hope you’re able to find a good solution for your dog’s back/leg issues. We went through a back injury with our dog last year. It took a long time with loads of medicines, but ultimately they worked and he is doing well now. There may be hope for your dog, too. Leif is very cute. :flowerforyou:

I’m going to a meeting with fellow horse enthusiasts this evening. Something is up with one of our friends, and I’m worried for her. The problem is that I don’t know any details at all. I guess I’ll find out in an hour or so.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

January 2019 Resolutions

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours nightly.
    6. Avoid alcohol.

I had a donor card from wayyyyyy back from the American Red Cross and it was there and I never knew it.. the only reason I knew what it was, was because of my donating my bone marrow for my sister and one of the things I guess was the matching blood type, so that's when I realized what it was and I never forgot. I'm a donor on my license too, so when I croak my good parts can be divided up. that's assuming I'm not mangled to bits in a bike wreck or something.
  • prisoner2food
    prisoner2food Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Back on track today. Now off to night shift!!

Karen in BC
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Felicia--For a week in Cancun, I'd gladly leave the kids. I left mine a time or two when they were the ages of your youngest two. Lots of checking in, and talking to both of them. Hope you have a great time. Your pup is seriously cute. I read about an issue dachshunds have when they do a lot of jumping to get up on laps and furniture. I forget the specifics, but vets don't have a lot of success in treating it. A friend took on the challenge of treating hers, rather than opting for the expensive surgery with uncertain results. She was advised that giving the dog total rest and immobility for a certain time would reverse the condition. She carried the dog so it didn't walk, crated the dog, and babied it as much as she could. It was successful, but it took a lot of time and attention.

Pip and Heather--Thanks for the responses. I don't know the first thing about running, and I do only casual bike riding. I never would have thought of running, but I never imagined I could lose this weight either. I should have thirty years before my warranty runs out, so I'm not going to say I can't run--at least not until I've tried. Tonight I got a basket, bell, and water bottle holder for the new bike. It's adorable! I'm looking into something to count the miles, so I can meander through our little park and know how far I've gone.

Yvonne--Some chow traits are possessiveness and a guard dog mentality, slow warming to strangers, and aloofness. They're a bit like cats in how they treat people. Our vet believes they're often aggressive. Vader is almost always within ten feet of me. If I'm on the computer, he's sleeping in the room with me. He's most definitely MY dog--or I'm his person. He likes my husband better--he's the treat giver--but he's totally devoted to me. He's snapped a time or two, but he was surprised when we tried to grab him from behind to give him a bath. He didn't connect. He's extremely careful not to bite. He'll take a treat from your fingers like he's playing Operation. He growls when strangers get too close to him, and barks when he doesn't know who's getting close to me. If he'd walk on a leash and was a bit friendlier, he'd be the perfect dog.

I'm not sure where you are in Texas, but we've had rain all day, and it's supposed to snow tomorrow. Then by Friday it'll get warm again. The cold is just a reminder that bugs are dying--yay. The years we've been here without a good cold snap, those critters were bad the following summer.

Welcome Nicoladams--63 lbs in 6 months is a tall order. I've lost 69 in 5 months, but it takes constant vigilance and dedication. I'm also pretty certain the next five months won't be as fast and easy. You don't need luck, so I'll wish you awareness instead. There's no magic pill, and it's all in your power no matter what age you are.

Enough--one of the things I love about this group, is that it's not all about diet and exercise. As someone pointed out, we talk about everything, because some of these issues can cause us to medicate and comfort ourselves with food. I'm sorry life threw you curveballs, but it's good to have you here.

SueBDew--if that cute pup was one of my visitors, they'd have to leave without her. Good word choice.

Katla--I love sweet potatoes, but these were anything but healthy. They had added sugar, butter, a streusel topping AND marshmallows. I actually had some success growing them in my little raised bed last year. I saved the ends I trimmed from a couple, and grew the starts in water. I got about half a dozen sweet potatoes that way.

Cari
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many of you use the Blog feature here on MFP, but mine is here ... in case you're interested in a bit more about me ...

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Machka9

I think I've got it open for everyone.

Machka in Oz
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    If you Google Red Cross, understanding blood types, it explains it pretty well.👍
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Took the water class today. The plan for tomorrow is to do an advanced strength DVD

After exercise went to the Salvation Army. Got a jacket ½ price. Then home and continued taking in the Christmas decorations. Got most of the extension cords rolled up, I separated the shorter extension cords, got the lights off the “fence” and some other things. Lots of bending and walking back & forth to the garage. Ceramics tonight. It’s supposed to rain tomorrow and Fri so we’ll probably work taking down the decorations in the house.

Grrrr….Vince just told me that with all the eating over the holidays, he didn’t gain any weight. I gained a few pounds but have already lost some of it.

Evelyn – I saw a pattern on Family Circle magazine’s website that looks a lot like that. BUT it says that it’s for intermediate crocheters. Now on that one there is a Santa Clause and I think it looks crappy so I’m going to put a gingerbread boy on the stocking. The pattern that I got of the gingerbread boy is rated easy. Yes, it seems to be mostly single crochet, at least from the pattern I got from FC

Barbara – my father always liked pickled herring. I’m with you ---- yuk!!! His pickled herring had to come in a cream sauce.

My morning routine is cleaning out the cat’s litter box, going downstairs on the Wii to check my BMI/weight, come upstairs and check the cat’s water and food adding if necessary, get dressed, take the litter outside and get the paper, have breakfast if I have time otherwise eat after exercise (I do have a little something while I’m getting dressed so that I’m not running on empty). If I can, I check my email and come here.

Pat – I’m usually up at 6:00

Made chocolate bran muffins before I left for exercise

Welcome everyone new!

Barbie – happy early anniversary

Beth – I’ve found that many of the older recipes call for things like lard.

Green Room tomorrow

Felicia – have a wonderful, great trip

It’s a crime. Jess is 34 and has NEVER had a cavity. Neither has Denise. The reason? The dentist told us that because when they were small I gave them fluoride tablets. As their teeth were forming, the fluoride was INSIDE their teeth making them extra strong.

Bonnie – we’re usually in FL when GS cookie time starts. I try to justify not buying them in that the chocolate will melt on the way home. Vince says “well, then we have to eat them while we’re down here”. Doesn’t help much

Talked to this gal at the church. See, basically there are 3 of us who usher. The lady usually puts just one of us on the schedule (don’t ask me to explain it). Usually she helps me and I help her. Well, it seems that the priest said something to her and she’s stated that she no longer wants to usher. Oh great! Well, the gal who is the secretary is evidently going to take over the scheduling of the ushers, lectors, Eucharistic Ministers, etc so we shall see what happens

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka "care more about the things that matter to me ... and less about the things that don't" Brilliant!

That's been a relatively recent discovery for me.

In the past I found I could get worked up by things that didn't really matter, but now I look at things and think ... is this really worth my time and attention?

It has meant I could focus more on things like getting my education and, of course, all the aspects of my husband's situation.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Kylia - Great to hear that Aubrey's operations went well. I'll continue thinking of her and your family and sending good thoughts.

Margaret - Thanks for posting those photos from the Como Park Conservatory. As you may recall, I grew up in Minneapolis and loved visiting the conservatory. There's no mistaking that formal wing with the pool down the center! Its shape is etched into my memory. But my favorite wing was the one with the crooked stone walkways and the steps down to the moist green grotto at one end. That was adventure to me!

Carol wrote: Barbara ~ I am just what I call a "country cook." My meal was not special at all....pork tenderloin cooked in the Insta Pot with mushroom gravy, Pillsbury Grand frozen biscuits with butter and jelly, rice, and a salad of chopped Romaine, chopped hard boiled eggs, sliced tomatoes and mayo. Grandson is a great eater! :)

Carol - Isn't it great when they like what you serve? I gave my grandson a chickpea curry once and he said it was the best food he'd ever had. :heart:

As promised, here's a photo of me all bundled up to go running in my outdoor freezer. The only thing missing is my studded jogging shoes. (I'm standing in front of a wall hanging my grandmother made during her silk-screening phase. I love having it up here!)
    bgnn55yh4jyp.jpg

A lot of you had questions or comments, so here goes:
    Barbie wrote: :)Penny, Thank you for describing what you wear for jogging. I don't jog, but walk two dogs on leashes and carry a small flashlight. Keeping my hands warm on the coldest days has been my biggest challenge, but because of holding the leashes I have to have thinner gloves. Fortunately there are no animals a few people out in the early morning when we walk, so it's easy to keep the dogs under control and I can hold both leashes in one hand from time to time and put the other hand in my pocket for awhile.

Barbie - Have you considered using something like a ballet dancer's leg warmers? They could extend from your wrists, over your (gloved) hands and hang loose around the top few inches of the leashes. That might be enough to tip the heat balance in your favor.

That reminds me of a journalist friend of mine who suffers from arthritis. She always wears what she calls "pulse warmers" - fingerless mittens with a thumbhole. They cover her wrist and hand but leave her fingers free to type and take notes. She has dozens of them to suit any occasion - in every imaginable color, with and without beads and sparkles. Instead of treating them like protective gear she rocks them as a fashion statement!

I learned, during my time working for Canada Post way back when ... during Winnipeg winters ... that pulse warmers are the way to go. I'd wear light "mini gloves" on my hands so I had the dexterity to work with the mail, and thick tennis wrist bands. You know those knit, terry, wrist bands tennis players often wear. That's what I'd wear over my wrist pulse points and it was enough to keep my hands warm even at -30C or -40C.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Ladies, I wanted to mention a logging tip I picked up from Heather. Since I eat many of the same things every day (well, at least 60 - 70%), I simply "copy yesterday" found in the Quick Tools section after every meal. I even forge ahead for a few days and prelog using this method.

It's easy enough to change foods or move them around, but is especially handy for planning snacks. Air popped popcorn and veggies/hummus are staring me right in the face if I really want to graze, lol. B)

Lanette
    SW WA State

Yep ... prelogging is great! I do the same thing when I'm logging ... which I'll start again soon.

M in Oz