WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Hmmm I typed a long, boring post and when I tried to post it I got a message saying that option is not available.

Janetr OKC

PS Oh sure it took the short, sweet note lol

Did you put numbers into your longer post?
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Hmmm I typed a long, boring post and when I tried to post it I got a message saying that option is not available.

Janetr OKC

I had put in numbers for my average daily caloric intake.

Janetr OKC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »

Janetr OKC

I had put in numbers for my average daily caloric intake.

Janetr OKC

That might be why you couldn't post.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    I have been jogging on the treadmill in intervals, walking for a 1/4 mile lap and then jogging for about half that, then back to walking, I do this for 2 or 3 miles. But this week back to work has responsibilities and errands that are keeping me away from the treadmill :'( which is a bummer. I will be back to a more regular schedule by the weekend which makes me happy. I'm keen to get back to it ;)

Beth love your new profile pic! Fasting from 7PM to 8AM working so far.

NYKAREN
  • Machka9
    Lagopus wrote: »
    One last piece of advice: if you're the least bit nerdy (like me), consider investing in a device that will track your runs for you. Then you can look back at your results and see how much you've achieved. My GPS device maps my route and tracks distance, speed, steps per minute, heartrate, calories burned and all kinds of stuff. If you don't want to spend money on a dedicated device, even a simple phone app will do. Runkeeper, Strava, Track Runner, Endomondo - they can all track route, distance and speed. Good luck!
    /Penny at the t07190.gif

I'm a Strava user ... for both cycling and running. And sometimes walking too. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    On my Strava today ...

My ride today ... with my husband ...

3ipz3ezi07g9.png

And my little run today ... by myself ...

tmgicacx3ykt.png

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited January 2019
    I know we're 9 pages in, but this is what I did in December. In January, I'd like to do a bit more of the exercise stuff.
    Machka9 wrote:
    December Totals

Walking Distance (km): 135.6
    Walking Time (min): 1520.8
    Cycling Distance (km): 145.6
    Cycling Time (min): 580.0
    Stairs Climbed Number: 93.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 74.4
    Other Distance: 4.0
    Other Time: 94.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 285.2
    Total Distance (miles): 177.2
    Total Time (min): 2269.2
    Total Time (hr): 37:49:09

I also completed my 4th uni course, took on an extra job at work, attended medical appointments for me or my husband just about every week day, and, at last, started a holiday from it all. :)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Good morning all! Happy Thursday! I don't know why I still feel a kind of release at the end of the week (toward Friday), even though I work the weekend. My body still just says "Ahhh! Almost the weekend!" Then when Monday comes I look forward to that, like it is a new beginning or a do-over; even though it is kind of a continuance of a long work streak. Oh well, weird, but I will take it. Yesterday was my first day back to work after having 9 days off over the holidays. 18 hour work day. I am feeling it this morning! It is going to take me a while to get back into the swing of this. More coffee is needed!
    Baby Nora starts today! She is three months and she will come only on Tuesdays and Thursdays (because Grace is at school on those days) for now. She will be here full time in the fall, when Grace begins full weeks at school. So...I am starting 2019 with Rowan age 4, Jackson age 3, Harrison age 3, Grace age 3, Stella age 1 1/2, James age 1, and Nora age 3 months. Plus Trentin age 7 is with me on weekends and evenings. Sounds like a lot; but they really are a good group of kids.
    All of this talk about running is getting my endorphins going. I really need to up my walking game (a faster pace than what I walk when I am with the kids) so that I can begin running again. I am almost afraid to put into words "I want to make running my goal this year", because I feel like I already have a lot on my plate. BUT...I know if I could do this, it would be such a stress reliever and mood lifter for me. We will see...
    Beth- I love your new profile picture!

Ooops! Lots of interruptions and I ran out of time. Kids are here and eating breakfast. Nora gave me a blow out within her first five minutes here! lol Gotta go! Love to you all and I will hopefully get a chance to hop on at nap time and chat a bit more. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,317 Member
    kevrit wrote: »
    Alison, I’m doing KETO at my doctor’s advice. Dietdoctor.com has a lot of videos available. Take the free month then cancel the membership. Lots of good info on LCHF (KETO) diet. I’m aiming for 20 to 50 grams of net carbs a day. I’m not hungry at all on this diet. So good thing there!

RV Rita

Rita - way to go! I just checked out the Dietdoctor.com website - so much great information about lower carb eating and intermittent fasting - the 16:8. Thank you so much for sharing it!

I just read information by Valter Longo (he's a pretty well-known researcher on water fasting and fasting mimicking.) He said that going over 13 hours without food raises the probability of gallstones by 5%. I need to get his book from the library and see where he's going with this. Seems to me it has so many benefits that fasting is worth doing for longer than 13 hours for a while and that's a low risk. I think many of us said "adios" to our gallbladders already. :#

Learning how to ignore hunger pains was an eye opener for me when I'd fast 12 - 16 hours or more. And realizing how much eating I was doing just out of boredom.

Certainly, every doctor and expert I've read says that at least 12 hour breaks are great for our brains and of course kicking on some fat-burning and autophagy = getting rid of old dead cells.

Have a good day, ladies. I have Physical Therapy at 8 and it will be interesting to see what new torture device she's come up with, lol. :s

Lanette
    Rainy and chilly SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
    Felicia--For a week in Cancun, I'd gladly leave the kids. I left mine a time or two when they were the ages of your youngest two. Lots of checking in, and talking to both of them. Hope you have a great time. Your pup is seriously cute. I read about an issue dachshunds have when they do a lot of jumping to get up on laps and furniture. I forget the specifics, but vets don't have a lot of success in treating it. A friend took on the challenge of treating hers, rather than opting for the expensive surgery with uncertain results. She was advised that giving the dog total rest and immobility for a certain time would reverse the condition. She carried the dog so it didn't walk, crated the dog, and babied it as much as she could. It was successful, but it took a lot of time and attention.

Pip and Heather--Thanks for the responses. I don't know the first thing about running, and I do only casual bike riding. I never would have thought of running, but I never imagined I could lose this weight either. I should have thirty years before my warranty runs out, so I'm not going to say I can't run--at least not until I've tried. Tonight I got a basket, bell, and water bottle holder for the new bike. It's adorable! I'm looking into something to count the miles, so I can meander through our little park and know how far I've gone.

Yvonne--Some chow traits are possessiveness and a guard dog mentality, slow warming to strangers, and aloofness. They're a bit like cats in how they treat people. Our vet believes they're often aggressive. Vader is almost always within ten feet of me. If I'm on the computer, he's sleeping in the room with me. He's most definitely MY dog--or I'm his person. He likes my husband better--he's the treat giver--but he's totally devoted to me. He's snapped a time or two, but he was surprised when we tried to grab him from behind to give him a bath. He didn't connect. He's extremely careful not to bite. He'll take a treat from your fingers like he's playing Operation. He growls when strangers get too close to him, and barks when he doesn't know who's getting close to me. If he'd walk on a leash and was a bit friendlier, he'd be the perfect dog.

I'm not sure where you are in Texas, but we've had rain all day, and it's supposed to snow tomorrow. Then by Friday it'll get warm again. The cold is just a reminder that bugs are dying--yay. The years we've been here without a good cold snap, those critters were bad the following summer.

Welcome Nicoladams--63 lbs in 6 months is a tall order. I've lost 69 in 5 months, but it takes constant vigilance and dedication. I'm also pretty certain the next five months won't be as fast and easy. You don't need luck, so I'll wish you awareness instead. There's no magic pill, and it's all in your power no matter what age you are.

Enough--one of the things I love about this group, is that it's not all about diet and exercise. As someone pointed out, we talk about everything, because some of these issues can cause us to medicate and comfort ourselves with food. I'm sorry life threw you curveballs, but it's good to have you here.

SueBDew--if that cute pup was one of my visitors, they'd have to leave without her. Good word choice.

Katla--I love sweet potatoes, but these were anything but healthy. They had added sugar, butter, a streusel topping AND marshmallows. I actually had some success growing them in my little raised bed last year. I saved the ends I trimmed from a couple, and grew the starts in water. I got about half a dozen sweet potatoes that way.

Cari

If u have a smart phone u can download the free app Strava. It will tell u how fast and far u go
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited January 2019
    459830qyqjkq81to.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
    Very rainy, LOVE riding in the rain 🌧
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Very rainy, LOVE riding in the rain 🌧
    Do you love it the way you love riding in the wind, Pip? We all know how much you enjoy THAT!

/Penny