January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Yay, we survived our cold-*kitten* 5k trail race at WC Johnson, the second race in the Memphis Winter Off-Road series!

By mile 3 I was all in - could hear my husband behind me breathing even harder than I was - hit the access road going back and knew it was time to turn on a finishing kick, but had nothing left in the tank. For some reason running always feels twice as exhausting when I'm cold, I know other people set PRs in the cold, but if it's below 40 my lungs are not used to it. Paradoxically I was also getting overheated in my outfit. Poured it on to the best of my ability, and... ended up with my second best 5k time, period, almost as fast as my PR on roads. 27:47, 8:47 mile pace.

That was good for 4th in AG, which also puts me 4th in AG in the series so far. I beat the lady who was right ahead of me last race, which means I was 5th when she was 4th and vice versa, giving us the same number of points, and the tie breaker is who placed first in the longer race. I was also 5th grandmaster which puts me on the leaderboard for GM points. The ladies who were 1, 2, 3 in the last race took the first three places in this race as well, but swapped around. There's no real chance I will beat any of them unless something untoward happens, since they all run at least a minute faster than my best mile pace, but I'm surprised as heck to have beaten lady #4, who is an experienced trail runner who does trail ultras.

YAY! Well done!

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    @rheddmobile Sounds like a fun race! Great job! I can't imagine doing an out and back on single track in the mud. I think y'all need bonus medals for that...
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    A bad week = 1 run since last Saturday.
    Managed to get out today for a 10km Slog through some fresh slow and did some dancing in some areas due to the hidden ice. Never went down but definitely was pushing the Stability-balance limits. The temperature was -11 to -9C so actually rather warm and when I was done the outer layer was soaked. Inner layer dry = good wicking.

exercise.png

Lots of my Northern friends were down in Edmonton ( @sarahthes home city ) this weekend for the River Valley Revenge, 25 and 50 km mini Ultra's on the River valley Trails that have been created by Mountain Bikers and Trail Runners with a few connectors on the official city trails. Will have to put the summer version of this on my race list for this year. 2 weeks until the first event in Northern Alberta and I am horribly under trained so haven't registered and have no plan to. Although I have been dragged to events in the past.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    @Scott6255 Hooray! I was getting ready to leave for my race while you were running yours, so I kept checking your splits on the site and cheering for you. 26.2 is a long way!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Day January
    1 2.3
    2 0
    3 2.6
    4 2.85
    5 3.1
    6 3.1
    7 11
    8 2.5
    9 1.9
    10 2.5
    11 4
    12 8.15
    13 0
    14 4
    15 4.5
    16 0
    17 0
    18 2.75
    19 3.15
    20 13.18

Total: 71.58
    Goal: 115

UGH. This was my worst half ever. (Although not my slowest despite feeling like it took forever). I got there with about 15 minutes before and passed on the porta potty line thinking I didn't really have to go. Then, of course, the start is delayed by about 10-15 minutes and the waves are even more spread out because they are letting the light rail through (I seriously don't remember them doing this in years past - corrals always rolled out quickly). When I get to the line she announces this is the final corral and I'm like what? No. I got in 13 and there were at least 15 corrals! I passed the 3 hour half pace group so clearly, everyone just ignored the last few corrals (unlike me who follows rules LOL)

So I start finally and suddenly have to pee. I keep watching for porta potties but the first two stops have 1-2 and looooong lines. Finally, around mile 3 I see about 10-15 porta potties and cut over and realized there's a 3ish foot wall I had to scramble over. I head to the far end where no one is waiting and grab one immediately. I will never understand why everyone stays to one side. Got right back into the run after my pit stop that probably felt much longer than it actually was.

I was running along and around mile 6 I can feel my right hip tightening. And it kept tightening. I had to walk a bit here. I ran about another 2 miles then took another walk break to eat my chews knowing what lies ahead. My nemesis. The part of the course that makes me realize all us runners are masochists. It doesn't look like much. Doesn't seem bad when driving but running it? AWFUL. I was determined to conquer the hill this year but at one point I had to walk because so many people were walking and it was the only way to weave through the crowd. Once out I started running and did the awful crest the hill, run a bit and then have to turn around and go back up. Then finally it was all downhill! (That's what someone yelled, but it's a lie - they also yelled we only had 3 miles left when it was more like 3.4 - totally not the same thing). Usually, the cities clean up the potholes a bit but this year it seems they just taped or coned the bad ones. I was worried about twisting my ankle running down the hill because it kept getting caught on ruts in the road.

Mile 10-11 ish is a slight uphill on a banked road. It's not fun and my ankle decided it wanted to die. I walked off an on for miles 10-12.5. Then I ran it in, got my medal, and thought I was going to die. I almost thought I was going to pass out waiting for my lunch. I was so dead tired.

Today was not my day. My energy level was just non-existent. But I finished.

@RunsOnEspresso Sorry your half was not fun today. Everyone has off running days but it really sucks when those inevitable and random days happen on race morning.

However .... congrats!!! you ran a half (survived) and got bling! I do love the bling. Pics? :)
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Have any of you heard of this company? Their prices on running gear is WAY better than Nike, Under Armour, and company. Supposedly they are big in Europe? Newly come to the US? Does anyone know if their stuff competes in quality with UA/Nike/etc?

Decathlon
    https://www.decathlon.com/collections/running

I think that's a French(?) retail store for sports equipment. We have them here in China and I'm sure there's plenty in Europe. They are a really good source for cheapo sportswear and gear that doesn't suck.

I get a lot of my running gear from Decathlon - they make all their stuff themselves, so retail prices are pretty close to manufacturing prices. For example, I really like this shirt (got 3 or 4 of them), they are perfectly functional, aren't sore on the eyes, and only cost $10. They are warm enough that I can run at 0C without needing an extra layer. They are cheap enough that I can wipe my nose on them without feeling guilty. And they are comfortable enough that my girlfriend steals them to lift weights in :|

I don't buy their shoes or socks or sports bras, I suppose I'm too particular. But I've found Decathlon to be a great money saving option for gear that are non-critical or stuff I tend to go through quickly, like shorts or tops or trail backpacks.

@PastorVincent yup, that's my local sports store (like 1km from home). You can't just grab anything and expect it to be excellent because their really cheap stuff can be a bit crap (the goal seems to be to provide sports gear for anyone who wants it, meaning as cheap as they can possibly make/sell it) but I have a lot of mid-range stuff and it's great. I wouldn't recommend their 'affordable' running shoes, but everything else hell yeah. I actually love their running bras (not that that will matter to you!) and have socks of their both for running and for hiking. Bonus: I can get my daughter's horse-riding gear there too (problem: I usually end up picking up running stuff I didn't know I needed at the same time lol)
    I'm currently in love with a long-sleeved running top I picked up there a few months back for something like 10€.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Quick check-in:
    Was cold (for me) mostly because of the gale force wind in the beginning, but managed to eek out a 4:09:03! Secretly hoping to break 4:00, but happy with that.
    More to follow tomorrow. Thanks for all the well wishes. Goodnight :|

Bravo, @Scott6255!! Smashed it.

Amazing run, @louubelle16!

Yay, @RunsOnEspresso! Very tough run. You did it!!
  • rheddmobile
    Have any of you heard of this company? Their prices on running gear is WAY better than Nike, Under Armour, and company. Supposedly they are big in Europe? Newly come to the US? Does anyone know if their stuff competes in quality with UA/Nike/etc?

Decathlon

I have their kiprun jacket and it's my very favorite thing ever. Great quality, better than UA in my opinion, similar to the Brooks or Saucony stuff I have. Unfortunately they are low on stock in their US store and the Euro store won't ship overseas, so I can't try any of the other things I want.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Ha ha @shanaber good to see Hobbes having fun.

Always makes me laugh when dogs bark at things they are chasing - what do they think is going to happen? That the thing will stop?!!! I can hear Hobbes in my head whilst watching that - ‘stop, stop!’ ‘Come back!’ :D
  • rheddmobile
    @RunsOnEspresso Sounds like a rough race, but you did it! I had a similar experience with corrals at the St Jude the first time I ran it, carefully put myself in the right pace group and ended up surrounded by walkers. UGH!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited January 2019

Decathlon

They are huge in France and the UK and I’d highly rate their stuff. There’s no notable difference in quality compared to Nike/UA etc, but it’s a LOT cheaper. (Although I’ve never tried their shoes, only clothing and my hydration bag)
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    I did want to wake up early and see the blood moon, but decided against it - I'd have been extremely tired today otherwise and would have ended up skipping the gym. Turns out it was quite cloudy over our way anyway!

06Jan - 2.8 miles (outdoor)
    07Jan - 1.4 miles (treadmill)
    10Jan - 1.5 miles (treadmill)
    11Jan - 2 miles (treadmill)
    13Jan - 4 miles (outdoor)
    14Jan - 1.9 miles (treadmill)
    17Jan - 1.9 miles (treadmill)
    18Jan - 1.5 miles (treadmill)
    20Jan - 4.6 miles (outdoor)
    21Jan - 1.75 miles (treadmill)

Total so far: 23.35 miles of 20
  • PastorVincent
    noblsheep wrote: »

Decathlon

I think that's a French(?) retail store for sports equipment. We have them here in China and I'm sure there's plenty in Europe. They are a really good source for cheapo sportswear and gear that doesn't suck.

I get a lot of my running gear from Decathlon - they make all their stuff themselves, so retail prices are pretty close to manufacturing prices. For example, I really like this shirt (got 3 or 4 of them), they are perfectly functional, aren't sore on the eyes, and only cost $10. They are warm enough that I can run at 0C without needing an extra layer. They are cheap enough that I can wipe my nose on them without feeling guilty. And they are comfortable enough that my girlfriend steals them to lift weights in :|

I don't buy their shoes or socks or sports bras, I suppose I'm too particular. But I've found Decathlon to be a great money saving option for gear that are non-critical or stuff I tend to go through quickly, like shorts or tops or trail backpacks.

Did you link to the right shirt? That one says...
    This jersey has a technical component which combines insulation from the cold and good perspiration wicking in temperatures as low as 59°F. It can also be worn under a jacket for even greater protection. For a cooling effect use the half-zip.

0C is 32F, which is a lot colder than 59F :)
  • PastorVincent
    @noblsheep @louubelle16 @girlinahat @eleanorhawkins @rheddmobile and anyone else I missed...

Thanks for the notes on Decathlon! I fully agree UA is overpriced, but its options are slim to compete with it around these parts. I am looking for a mid layer to go over my UA Cold Gear compression shirt for days like today when the thermometer registers 2F (-17C). I have a great top layer, my North Face Windwall (talk about pricey!!) but need a good midlayer.

Can you recommend something form their line? I really need it to wick. That is the problem with my current 1/4 zip that I used to use. It does not wick, so I get chaffing bad.

Thanks!
  • PastorVincent
    Hey they got a pretty good shot of my husband and me! This is the dry part of the trail, believe it or not - the gravel connector to the access road, coming back at the end of the race.
    qop99yww764n.png

Looks like a very cool place to race though!