Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    I probably could eat only potatoes for a month, but I'm not convinced I'm capable of eating so few as to lose weight.

You'd be surprised-once you remove all the fun extras (butter, cheese, bacon etc) and alls you have is plain, naked potatoes you don't really feel like eating a lot of them :p
    I'm a vegan and was brought up as one- that's my normal. ;)

My family used to say my childhood willingness to subsist on potatoes and nothing else was our Irish ancestry coming out. I say it was a learnt coping mechanism to survive the early years of my mother's cooking. She couldn't mess those up!

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,731 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Penn (of Penn and Teller) started his weight loss with the potato diet - he ate only potatoes for a month and then slowly added other foods back in.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/news/a39697/penn-jillette-weight-loss-potato-diet/

I couldn't do the mental gymnastics required to talk myself into that. I like potatoes and all, but....no..
    I probably could eat only potatoes for a month, but I'm not convinced I'm capable of eating so few as to lose weight.

If we want to live on Mars someday, we'd better learn how...

Yes, but he also had ketchup....

I figure we can relax the rules under such extreme circumstances...
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot you thinking the study was designed to do anything other than test the efficacy of a low carb diet.
    Someone mentioned that people quit the study... people quit every study. For whatever reason. Literally someone could just decide that donuts are more important to them than not being diabetic. People literally do that every single day.
    Knit picking irrelevant things you think matter doesn’t change the fact that 60% of the people reversed their diabetes. The reason that’s significant is because reputable resources like the ADA would have you believe it’s a progressive disease with no hope of reversal. Weight loss alone doesn’t show a 60% reversal rate. If weight was the factor that idea suggests, lean people wouldn’t become diabetic.

All your bias is showing.
    Isn't interesting that people saying it is possible to analyze studies and draw conclusions about them can point out potential issues in this study?
    As far as what is or isn't nitpicking about the study, I think you fundamentally disqualified yourself from making those assessments with your rejection of science as having valid methods over subjective experience based epistemology.
    And yes, in obese and overweight individuals early in T2D, successfully losing and maintaining a 10% reduction in weight is about a guarantee to reversal. Good exercise programs can reduce markers in 4 weeks. Compliance is a huge factor.
    Now can weight loss treat all T2D? No, it has both a lifestyle and genetic component. That I'm saying it can be treated that way isn't saying that is the whole etiology of the condition.

And yes, my bias does show. Understanding science will cause massive bias about studies based on their methodology. Bias isn't the same as being incorrect. If that is your standard, the Virta study has the issue of the doctors doing it all have financial relationships with Virta. But I frankly tried to avoid even bothering with that because I think it is the lowest tier of criticism of scientific research.

You say a lot of things. Most of which are incredibly one sided where you completely ignore anything anyone else says.

Meh

One sided in what sense. I haven't seen him take a position for or against keto, which is the topic. He is proscience. Why does that disturb you? You seem to be looking for an argument.

Seriously?!?! I gave someone a link to an article that happened to be on the Virta site and then had people jumping all over Virta as money hungry snake oil salesmen. I never made any claims of any kind. I only shared info I thought someone, not even those responding, might be interested in. And I’m the one looking for a fight? What a joke!
    I’ve clearly said all along that It’s good for people to have options so they can find what’s right for them.
    That’s argumentative?!?
    Interesting

This is the debate section. Things get debated here. ;)

I learned that quickly. lol Some people like not just healthy debate but fighting. That takes too much precious time from my life to engage in that. That is to say go back and forth. But that's why this area is here yes?.....I can do without the extra cortisol......from the stress you know? Teehee
  • lleeann2001
    If you do it, watch your cholesterol. When you do your yearly check-up ask your Dr to check your fasting labs and lipids.

I've been doing Keto for a few years, my cholesterol is perfect, I have to have it checked every year because the State of Utah demands it. All I know is this, people have been preaching low fat, high carb, calorie restricted diets for the past 50-years, and we, American's have never been fatter. LCHF Keto solves all of that.

Congratulations on your success with keto. Ican't seem to keep the carbs as low as I need. I know what. I will work harder at it. 😊
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Ooh, I espy an opportunity for a tangent. Did you know that according to clickbait articles, the ancient Greeks didn't see blue?

(I think it was a great deal more complex than that, in reality.)

They grouped blue and green together under a single color name, if I recall correctly. And I believe several other cultures did the same thing. But it's been a long time since my degree so I may have it wrong.

So there's a solid historical precedent to be made that the sky is actually green. We only call it blue as a modern invention.
    I think the reality behind the articles in something like that. (I lasted two weeks the only and only time I tried to learn classical Greek so this is not. my. area.) Buzzfeed et al make it sound really excitingly alien of them and make it sound like they definitively saw the sky differently from us.

Sadly, I'm not convinced that using one word for a spectrum of colour that English-speaking people in our own time-frame divide into two smaller spectra with their own word means that Archimedes thought trees and the sky were the same shade of colour!

Well Yes, and No. The weak Sapor-Whorf hypothesis has evidence in that one's native languages does tend shade one's ability to differentiate close hues: Russians lack a word for pink, and they subsequently seem to be less apt at differentiating when a pink next to a red are different colors than an English speaker.

For colors as fundamental as green and blue though, no the Ancient Greeks didn't see them the same. The word for chlorphyl itself comes from the Ancient Greek "χλωρός (khlōrós) "bright green" but also "acid yellow"".
  • lleeann2001
    There seems to be a lot you thinking the study was designed to do anything other than test the efficacy of a low carb diet.
    Someone mentioned that people quit the study... people quit every study. For whatever reason. Literally someone could just decide that donuts are more important to them than not being diabetic. People literally do that every single day.
    Knit picking irrelevant things you think matter doesn’t change the fact that 60% of the people reversed their diabetes. The reason that’s significant is because reputable resources like the ADA would have you believe it’s a progressive disease with no hope of reversal. Weight loss alone doesn’t show a 60% reversal rate. If weight was the factor that idea suggests, lean people wouldn’t become diabetic.

Isn't interesting that people saying it is possible to analyze studies and draw conclusions about them can point out potential issues in this study?
    As far as what is or isn't nitpicking about the study, I think you fundamentally disqualified yourself from making those assessments with your rejection of science as having valid methods over subjective experience based epistemology.
    And yes, in obese and overweight individuals early in T2D, successfully losing and maintaining a 10% reduction in weight is about a guarantee to reversal. Good exercise programs can reduce markers in 4 weeks. Compliance is a huge factor.
    Now can weight loss treat all T2D? No, it has both a lifestyle and genetic component. That I'm saying it can be treated that way isn't saying that is the whole etiology of the condition.

And yes, my bias does show. Understanding science will cause massive bias about studies based on their methodology. Bias isn't the same as being incorrect. If that is your standard, the Virta study has the issue of the doctors doing it all have financial relationships with Virta. But I frankly tried to avoid even bothering with that because I think it is the lowest tier of criticism of scientific research.

You say a lot of things. Most of which are incredibly one sided where you completely ignore anything anyone else says.

Meh

One sided in what sense. I haven't seen him take a position for or against keto, which is the topic. He is proscience. Why does that disturb you? You seem to be looking for an argument.

Seriously?!?! I gave someone a link to an article that happened to be on the Virta site and then had people jumping all over Virta as money hungry snake oil salesmen. I never made any claims of any kind. I only shared info I thought someone, not even those responding, might be interested in. And I’m the one looking for a fight? What a joke!
    I’ve clearly said all along that It’s good for people to have options so they can find what’s right for them.
    That’s argumentative?!?
    Interesting

I honestly believe that if someone posted to the debate section that the sky is blue, MFP would go 28 pages debating whether it's actually blue or if it's just perceived as blue.

Lol. I AGREE!!! Imagine that
  • lleeann2001
    This discussion’s spiralled somewhat! I don’t mind because it was beginning to feel a little accusatory.
    To get back to keto, I’d be interested to know how people explained what how and why they’re eating in that way. In social situations it can be hard to explain why you’ve brought your own food (I can’t really eat school or restaurant food as I’m a vegetarian).

Where do you live that vegetarian options aren't available? In the US, there's usually at least one option for vegetarians except maybe in some really rural areas (and even then, you can usually get an omelette or a grilled cheese or something).
    This discussion’s spiralled somewhat! I don’t mind because it was beginning to feel a little accusatory.
    To get back to keto, I’d be interested to know how people explained what how and why they’re eating in that way. In social situations it can be hard to explain why you’ve brought your own food (I can’t really eat school or restaurant food as I’m a vegetarian).

Where do you live that vegetarian options aren't available? In the US, there's usually at least one option for vegetarians except maybe in some really rural areas (and even then, you can usually get an omelette or a grilled cheese or something).

Do veggie people eat cheese? Vegetarians that is...I know there are different types. But I'm not wise to all of it
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Ovo-lacto and lacto-vegetarians do, provided that the rennet used as a coagulant isn't meat-derived. (Traditionally, it comes from a calf's stomach, but there are vegetarian sources.) Vegans do not.
  • lleeann2001
    Ooh, I espy an opportunity for a tangent. Did you know that according to clickbait articles, the ancient Greeks didn't see blue?

They grouped blue and green together under a single color name, if I recall correctly. And I believe several other cultures did the same thing. But it's been a long time since my degree so I may have it wrong.

So there's a solid historical precedent to be made that the sky is actually green. We only call it blue as a modern invention.
    I never knew that. Thanks 🙂
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    This forum could be renamed to the mocking forum rather than debate. Remove any confusion...

oh now..if anything the last few exchanges are members mocking the fact that anyone will argue absolutely anything in this forum. :)

Yep, this. Heck, I just admitted that I've done the potato hack on a different thread, we could have all sorts of fun with that one :D

And I don't even know what the heck the potato hack is!!

Like I said, there's a wealth of information to be gotten here 😁

Oh it's a dumpter fire waiting to happen :#

I actually proofread a book about the hack for a guy, (Tim Steele), I met on another forum, a few years back. He ended up publishing it and is now working on his second book. He's an advocate of short potato hacks, but the Potato Hack King is the Spud Fit Man, the man is a legend lol
    https://www.today.com/health/spud-fit-man-loses-weight-eating-only-potatoes-year-t106144

Did Tim Steele steal your idea????? Oh for shame
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Do veggie people eat cheese? Vegetarians that is...I know there are different types. But I'm not wise to all of it

In the US when many people use the word "vegetarian," they're referring to lacto-ovo vegetarians, who eat both eggs and dairy. If you see the word "vegetarian" on the menu or purchase a vegetarian cookbook, they'll include items with those foods. Of course, there are people who identify as vegetarian who don't eat these foods and I don't know enough to speculate about how it might be used in other parts of the world.
  • svlofthouse
    svlofthouse Posts: 46 Member

In the US when many people use the word "vegetarian," they're referring to lacto-ovo vegetarians, who eat both eggs and dairy. If you see the word "vegetarian" on the menu or purchase a vegetarian cookbook, they'll include items with those foods. Of course, there are people who identify as vegetarian who don't eat these foods and I don't know enough to speculate about how it might be used in other parts of the world.

Yeah I do eat eggs and dairy (although a lot of my meals become vegan as I try to keep carbs low!)
    I struggle in restaurants as lots of things have added sugar and carbs lurk in everything. A veggie lasagne is really the best I get in most restaurants near me and clearly that doesn’t work!
    I love a good tuppaware with a packed lunch in but find that I get a lot of judgement and questions that I don’t feel qualified or ready to answer, as a fairly new keto deciple.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member

This forum could be renamed to the mocking forum rather than debate. Remove any confusion...

oh now..if anything the last few exchanges are members mocking the fact that anyone will argue absolutely anything in this forum. :)

Yep, this. Heck, I just admitted that I've done the potato hack on a different thread, we could have all sorts of fun with that one :D

I actually proofread a book about the hack for a guy, (Tim Steele), I met on another forum, a few years back. He ended up publishing it and is now working on his second book. He's an advocate of short potato hacks, but the Potato Hack King is the Spud Fit Man, the man is a legend lol
    https://www.today.com/health/spud-fit-man-loses-weight-eating-only-potatoes-year-t106144

Nope, there were quite a few people experimenting with the hack a few years ago-he and I were part of the shenanigans over at Mark's Daily Apple. He ended up writing a book about it and with my writing degree background I offered to help him do some proofreading. I've interacted with him a few times throughout the past few years, pretty nice guy.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    For me, getting a good amount of fiber is difficult on Keto. High fiber is pretty essential for digestive health. It is possible I guess to reach 30 grams/per day without fruit, lequmes, grains but I would have to eat an enormous amount of vegetables. I have been doing the Med. diet which also reduces inflammation and has helped my spinal arthritis.

May be of interest

https://blog.virtahealth.com/fiber-colon-health-ketogenic-diet/

I stopped reading once I realized that site is selling a $199 a month subscription (plus a $500 sign up fee).

And someone above thread said people weren't cashing in on keto :p

They are doctors. The service is for them to be your doctor if you’re T2D. Do you know any doctors that work for free?
    They have published some very impressive studies showing a 60% reversal of T2D in one year. I don’t know many diabetics that wouldn’t save money reversing their diabetes even if using a private service like this.

I pay $75 to meet face to face with my doctor. That also includes getting health markers checked (blood pressure etc). No way would I pay $200 a month (plus a $500 sign up fee), for an internet doctor on some website.

I'm not sure where you're located, but here in the US, that $75 is the copay on top of a several-hundred-per-month insurance premium. Due to the pressures of insurance companies in a for-profit system, non-specialist doctors get on average 5-15 minutes with each patient. Specialists might get up to about 30 minutes. If you're lucky, you might get 60 for the initial consultation, depending on the nature of the doctor.

Getting more time with a doctor is extremely rare, and getting more than the most basic testing is even more rare. On the testing front, too, if you need additional tests, there's a good chance they won't be covered by insurance for one reason or another (fun fact - due to the way medical coding works, a sex hormone panel that is common for monitoring PCOS -- a condition with Diabetes as a common comorbid -- can end up denied by insurance companies, because it also happens to be used for fertility treatments; that panel runs upwards of $500 on its own if not covered).

For a Diabetic, it also means additional costs for medication. That cost goes up exponentially for insulin.

Even at the higher rate that was mentioned of something like $300/month, it can in fact be cheaper in the long run -- or prevent increasing medical costs in the case of those not quite yet on insulin -- to pay a concierge type doctor $200-300 a month, even on top of insurance premiums, just to avoid the costs of insulin. For others with medical needs that go beyond the scope/skill/time of the typical "brick and mortar" doctors, dropping insurance coverage to catastrophic and paying cash for concierge and telemed doctors is becoming an increasingly viable option here, particularly on the financial front. (And no, it's not some conspiracy. It's simply economics.)

Regarding what a telemed doctor can and can't do, the only thing they really can't do is get vitals such as pulse and blood pressure (and with the advancement of health-tech, it won't be long before they'll be able to get that, too). This is a big reason they're most commonly specialists, since those are generally relatively minor data points compared to the issue(s) that drove the person to seek their services. They can still order blood (and other body fluid based) tests, imaging, etc., all of which can be read without being physically in the room with the patient, and are frequently obtained at third party lab locations, anyway (even when visiting a "brick and mortar" doctor).

(Note for the sake of the discussion - concierge doctors are ones who are kept on retainer by their patients. They may or may not do telemedicine (telemed). Many telemedicine doctors are also concierge doctors, or concierge-like (ie - they may not do monthly/annual retainers, but keep active pay-as-you-go type of accounts).)

I'm in the U.S. (midwest)-since we have a high deductible HSA plan we pay out of pocket for pretty much all doctor appointments (we've paid out of pocket for everything from allergy testing to ER visits, blood work panels etc etc). All of our doctor's offices have patient cash discounts-if you're paying out of pocket you get a percentage off your bill. My GP's discount brings my out of pocket cost down to $75. Back when we were self-employed and had no insurance it was the same deal.

When I go in I get 30 minutes with him and we frequently go long (my doctor's background is in nutrition and sports medicine so we tend to get on all sorts of bunny trails lol).

Back when I was a prediabetic I had a different doctor. He has a similar discount option for cash paying patients (my husband still goes to his practice).
  • lleeann2001

Nope, there were quite a few people experimenting with the hack a few years ago-he and I were part of the shenanigans over at Mark's Daily Apple. He ended up writing a book about it and with my writing degree background I offered to help him do some proofreading. I've interacted with him a few times throughout the past few years, pretty nice guy.

I'm sorry I actually tried to delete that comment because I misread your quote. But I don't think I can delete my own comments.😉
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019

You mean vegetarian plus keto? I've eaten vegetarian for significant periods of my life, and where I am it's pretty easy (had a work lunch today and it was easy to choose rice and black beans and salsa and guac and lettuce from the available options, which were kind of Cal-Mex themed (as interpreted in DC)). I've also done keto at times (not as a vegetarian) and basically was subtle about it -- at a restaurant it's easy, as you just do salad with protein on it, no croutons, make sure you can choose your dressing, or some sort of meat + veg. Sashimi, even. At work lunches that are sandwich-based I tried to take out the middle without drawing attention and go with whatever side salad might be available (I still do that, as I don't like spending calories on bread much of the time). If lunch is pizza (we sometimes get Giordano's), I would have had salad only. No one really noticed or cared, it was just sometimes annoying.

To do vegetarian plus keto at a restaurant/work thing would be harder -- ideally a salad (with hard boiled eggs, perhaps) would be available or something.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member

Whaaa? Vegetarian for 45 years now, and I could count the times where I'd needed to bring my own food on the fingers of one hand. Admittedly, I'm ovo-lacto, not strict . . . but I think it wouldn't take more than the other hand and half a foot to count, if I were vegan, or vegan-keto, even - well, maybe both feet for vegan-keto. One meal is a blip, nutritionally. I figure I can eat anything, for one meal (though I'm sensitive to making my hosts feel uncomfortable). I love my friends, the diverse-er, the better!

Personally, and intentionally and knowingly speaking only for myself, not others . . . I'd prefer a limited meal to the interpersonal implications of bringing my own "me only" food to someone else's home. (I always discuss my preferences at invite time, and work out an amicable approach in advance with my host).

To answer your explicit question: At invite time, I say "I eat this and this; but not this. I'd love to come and socialize with you!" Adding: "Can I bring (description of delicious generally enjoyed dish that I eat)?", if that seems appropriate. I feel zero need to explain why I eat the way I do, but a lot of motivation to figure out how I can be a good contributor to general group enjoyment.

I'd add this: If it's not a common sit-down, around a table, no one much notices what anyone else eats.
  • lleeann2001
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Meh

That’s argumentative?!?
    Interesting

I learned that quickly. lol Some people like not just healthy debate but fighting. That takes too much precious time from my life to engage in that. That is to say go back and forth. But that's why this area is here yes?.....I can do without the extra cortisol......from the stress you know? Teehee

Stress? What stress?

Verbal play is fun. ;)

😁
This discussion has been closed.