JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Options
    toaljasa wrote: Β»
    JFT - Tuesday March 12 Determined

I hope I find the right words to say in the interview. Last year all of the interviews I had started with β€œtell me about yourself”. I never quite knew how to answer that. They never really asked direct questions. I felt like it was a popularity contest rather than knowledge based.

I should do some tidying and cleaning today, I also have a project I want to finish.

Have a great day everyone!

Here is a list of interview questions I found on glassdoor.com . You might consider writing down answers...and, if you get stuck, perhaps googling how to answer this question... Also, if you haven't already, google the name of the company and find out about it...how much money they make, what their philosophy is, who the president is, etc. https://www.glassdoor.com/blog/interview-questions-you-should-be-prepared-to-answer-this-month/

We are all excited and hopeful for you!

Thank you, I will look at that when I get the computer away from my husband!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options

I have a job interview on Friday! It’s not even for a job I applied for. A recruiter for another job I had applied for contacted me and asked if I would be interested. Location and pay sound good and they are looking for someone long term. I’m the girl! I don’t want to be out of work for years and years again!

Anyway, I will not hold my breath but after 150+ resumes sent out I’m so happy to even get this far!

Good luck!!! I will be thinking of you! That's awesome recruiter pursued you. That's a darn good sign you have a marketable resume out there. Will say a prayer it is something you'd enjoy, and if it is, that you get it!

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Options
    @toaljasa - you have such a beautiful way with words. I agree with everything you said but never could have found such an eloquent way of putting it.

I read through the interview tips and am going to really sit down and write some things out. I tried to view their website, but it is currently under construction. I will have to remember the little she told me about it. I will also have to go in with confidence, this is huge for me and something I really struggle with.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Rubbish day yesterday. Work is really irritating at the moment. I'm working on difficult things, with no direction or help, and I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing. Half my day is meetings, generally about things that annoy me (like yesterday's team meeting where we discussed how we can adapt to the new policy where everyone is going to be forced to work out of the office 2 days a week), so I never progress anything. I feel totally out of control, which I hate, being a control deal and all. People are constantly flapping and dumping problems on me, reducing my control even further as I get pulled away from the few things I do actually know I have to do. And it's increasingly clear that life in the new organisation is just about sucking up to the new management and not about doing a good job or making a difference.

My response to this yesterday? Eating burgers, crisps and chocolate. Bad Sarah.
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :/
    - Stick to food plan :/
    - Be in the green :/
    - 3+ bottles water :/
    - No alcohol :/

- No eating whilst standing :/
    - Savour every bite :/
    - Monitor fullness after each meal :/
    - Talk back to sabotaging thoughts :/
    - Give myself credit! :/

- 45 minute lunch break :smile:
    - Meditate :smile:
    - Catch up on emails :smile:
    - Stay positive :/
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast :/
    - Finish work by 7pm latest :smile:
    - Holiday planning/ 7 habits :/
    - Gratitude journal :/
    - Lights off by 11 :/

I need to somehow pull this back and stop getting so upset by it all, or at least stop responding to being upset by eating/drinking. My weight is not going downwards and in fact it's slightly creeping upwards. I'm super good on lots of days but I have too many days where I slip off the rails and go way over.

Not quite sure how to fix it, will give it some thought over the next few days. I'm reading the 7 habits of effective people at the moment, which is really good and has some really relevant things to say about focusing on what you can control, and having a clear sense of your priorities so that you can figure out what isn't and isn't important easier. Lots of it is relevant to me - will have a think about how I can apply the habits within my life.

Initial thoughts are:
    - Spending some time in reflection at the start of each day, identify the one thing I want to get done that day above anything else and doing it
    - Get ruthless about rejecting meetings
    - Switch to working 9 in 10 days rather than 4 in 5. The hours I have to work when I do in 4 in 5 are just too long and I think it wears me down (and leaves me vulnerable to binging at the end of the day).

Will look at applying these and then see what else I can do.

Boy, does this bring back memories of my previous job! When I think of how many hours I spent trying to fix everyone else's issues at work and not getting my own work done, creating a circle of working day and night, I am sincerely surprised I didn't make myself sick. I feel so much more in control of my life now.

I truly hope you find peace for yourself too. I have heard of the book you are reading but haven't had the opportunity to read it. It was actually required reading at my previous employer for anyone in a leadership position. Another book they all had to read was "Who Moved the Cheese" (something like that...)

I spend time in reflection in the morning when I'm feeling like everything is spinning out of control! It was one of the things I had to incorporate back then. I list my top 3 priority to-do's and I stick to it, even if it is something as simple as making a phone call that I've been putting off. I tell colleagues that I am not able to help them today unless emergent, but that I'd be happy to help them tomorrow--that I have tasks due that I must complete. I block time off on my Outlook calendar so nobody can send me a meeting invite.

I think I am going to go to our library this weekend and look for the book you mentioned. I'll bet it has things that would help not only at work, but with conflicts in life in general!

Hugs to you, my friend... xoxo
    P.S. Is it MY turn to come over THERE and punch someone for you? :wink:
  • asclepsia
    asclepsia Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    @toaljasa;c-43438641]
    Your "spotlight" was appropriate, needed, and well said. Joan started this thread three years ago, (I believe) and unflaggingly replies to each of us in such a personal way, that we want to return to this site, even if things aren't going well in our lives, physically or emotionally. Joan has set the tone for this group, and we, in gratitude, and in respect for each other, should continue to keep this site a warm and welcoming place with kindness and mutual respect, not negative comments. Isn't there already enough negativity in the world, without letting it invade "our" haven.
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @toaljasa - you have such a beautiful way with words. I agree with everything you said but never could have found such an eloquent way of putting it.

I read through the interview tips and am going to really sit down and write some things out. I tried to view their website, but it is currently under construction. I will have to remember the little she told me about it. I will also have to go in with confidence, this is huge for me and something I really struggle with.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me.

No time at all...you might just type in the name of the company and see what pops up. Maybe someone has done an article on them :)
  • toaljasa
    Options

Boy, does this bring back memories of my previous job! When I think of how many hours I spent trying to fix everyone else's issues at work and not getting my own work done, creating a circle of working day and night, I am sincerely surprised I didn't make myself sick. I feel so much more in control of my life now.

I truly hope you find peace for yourself too. I have heard of the book you are reading but haven't had the opportunity to read it. It was actually required reading at my previous employer for anyone in a leadership position. Another book they all had to read was "Who Moved the Cheese" (something like that...)

I spend time in reflection in the morning when I'm feeling like everything is spinning out of control! It was one of the things I had to incorporate back then. I list my top 3 priority to-do's and I stick to it, even if it is something as simple as making a phone call that I've been putting off. I tell colleagues that I am not able to help them today unless emergent, but that I'd be happy to help them tomorrow--that I have tasks due that I must complete. I block time off on my Outlook calendar so nobody can send me a meeting invite.

I think I am going to go to our library this weekend and look for the book you mentioned. I'll bet it has things that would help not only at work, but with conflicts in life in general!

Very good book for anyone, whether you are in the workforce or not. And very good words of advice for Sarah, in protecting her time.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Rubbish day yesterday. Work is really irritating at the moment. I'm working on difficult things, with no direction or help, and I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing. Half my day is meetings, generally about things that annoy me (like yesterday's team meeting where we discussed how we can adapt to the new policy where everyone is going to be forced to work out of the office 2 days a week), so I never progress anything. I feel totally out of control, which I hate, being a control deal and all. People are constantly flapping and dumping problems on me, reducing my control even further as I get pulled away from the few things I do actually know I have to do. And it's increasingly clear that life in the new organisation is just about sucking up to the new management and not about doing a good job or making a difference.

My response to this yesterday? Eating burgers, crisps and chocolate. Bad Sarah.
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :/
    - Stick to food plan :/
    - Be in the green :/
    - 3+ bottles water :/
    - No alcohol :/

- No eating whilst standing :/
    - Savour every bite :/
    - Monitor fullness after each meal :/
    - Talk back to sabotaging thoughts :/
    - Give myself credit! :/

- 45 minute lunch break :smile:
    - Meditate :smile:
    - Catch up on emails :smile:
    - Stay positive :/
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast :/
    - Finish work by 7pm latest :smile:
    - Holiday planning/ 7 habits :/
    - Gratitude journal :/
    - Lights off by 11 :/

I need to somehow pull this back and stop getting so upset by it all, or at least stop responding to being upset by eating/drinking. My weight is not going downwards and in fact it's slightly creeping upwards. I'm super good on lots of days but I have too many days where I slip off the rails and go way over.

Not quite sure how to fix it, will give it some thought over the next few days. I'm reading the 7 habits of effective people at the moment, which is really good and has some really relevant things to say about focusing on what you can control, and having a clear sense of your priorities so that you can figure out what isn't and isn't important easier. Lots of it is relevant to me - will have a think about how I can apply the habits within my life.

Initial thoughts are:
    - Spending some time in reflection at the start of each day, identify the one thing I want to get done that day above anything else and doing it
    - Get ruthless about rejecting meetings
    - Switch to working 9 in 10 days rather than 4 in 5. The hours I have to work when I do in 4 in 5 are just too long and I think it wears me down (and leaves me vulnerable to binging at the end of the day).

Will look at applying these and then see what else I can do.

Haha! In my former life I worked in PR and our agency had a massive merger. I remember we all had to read Who Moved the Cheese as well! Hugs and sympathy to those dealing with work stress and corporate-speak!
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    toaljasa wrote: Β»
    I want to do a spotlight today...on our wonderful leader, Joan!, @mytime6630

I know I speak for all of us when I say how grateful we are that you not only thought of starting JFT, but that you actually took the next step and got it going!

Joan is right there in the trenches alongside us, going to battle, to reach a goal of good health emotionally and physically. Although she can be quite swamped and has issues at home that drain her she is still on here to give her encouragement, her love, and support. She is honest and open in telling us her struggles with her weight and emotional eating and when she falls off the wagon. And when that occurs, she gets right back up, dusts herself off, and hops right back on.

Your determination is contagious, Joan. And thank you for setting the tone of this group, that has made it a warm, cozy, and inviting place.

This is such a unique group of (right now) women. Joan, as far as I know, has not had to post a list of rules, of do's and don't's. We are a compassionate group. It's a bit of a haven of peace; a restorative place where we can reveal our vulnerabilities without fear of being knocked about. We know if we vent about the world we live in, or we reveal heartache and pain we will find lots of support and commiseration. Our suggestions and concerns are expressed gently, in a way that builds up instead of tearing down. We rah-rah each others' successes, weight-related or not. This all takes place, despite the fact that we come from all different places, different backgrounds, different ages, different faiths, political stances. Have you ever stopped to marvel at how we all get along?

I think one of the keys is Effort. We make an effort to be kind. We make an effort to choose our wording. We make an effort to accept the person as she is without condemning. We make an effort to respond with grace or not at all. We recognize that gentle correction is not the same as condemnation. But we realize that it takes work to keep our little haven, a haven. Because we know how ugly the world can be and it's oh-so-lovely to just be able to come inside, grab a hot drink, and be loved on and experience peace and joy, even in the midst of despair and chaos.

I think one way we can show our thankfulness is by continuing to make that effort to keep our little haven intact. Kindness, overlooking offenses, and pleasant words can be hard work at times! But, for the sake of our little group, and for respect and gratitude to Joan, let's keep at it! (And who knows? Maybe we can take this effort out into our little corner of the world and start a movement! :smile: )

Love you all.
    l68si46y4ybx.png

Quite right @toaljasa! X
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    AJB1014 wrote: Β»
    I want to scream. I had a huge post replying to so many of you. And the app just glitched and sent me to my home page. Aaaaaggghhhh!!!

I think we need MFP to add an "UGH!!!!" button!
  • toaljasa
    Options
    WOY: Discipline. I practiced discipline by eating no sweets.

Small Change/Big Impact
    Day 1: Threw out white chocolate chips
    Day 2: Reverted to drinking 8 cups of water
    Day 3: Reverted to pre-logging
    Day 4: Reverted back to 1200 calories/day
    Day 5: No alcohol M-Th (This is my tackle it Tuesday, Mary!)
    Day 6: Add more protein to diet

3/12
    Drink 8 cups water/herbal tea :smile: Drank 9.5
    Pre-log :smile:
    Stay within 1200 calories :smile:
    Messy in the Middle :smile:
    Exercise :) (I have a bony shoulder!!! I have a bony shoulder!!!)
    Floss (March mini-goal/habit) :smile:
    Practice Discipline :smile:

3/13
    Drink 8 cups water/herbal tea
    Pre-log
    Stay within 1200 caloroies
    Messy in the Middle
    Exercise
    Floss
    Practice Self Discipline

Peace and joy!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

Tuesday:
    1. weigh in :)
    2. 10,000 steps :(
    3. Track liquids, at least 8C water :)
    4. Go to gym--cardio/weight workout :(
    5. No social eating at work :)

Wednesday:
    1. weigh in
    2. 10,000 steps
    3. track liquids, at least 8C water
    4. go to gym--cardio/weight workout
    5. no social eating at work
    6. do at least one self-care activity

• PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Hopped on to read and catch up quick and then forgot to enter my goals for today! So many inspiring messages and so many things going on with everyone!

It's late in the day to post goals now, but for accountability reasons, I will anyway!

Just for Wednesday:
    • Journal every bite
    • <29 g added sugar
    • <75 g carbs
    • 64 oz water
    • Prep for tomorrow, tonight
    • Calm app
    • Unplug before Survivor comes on tonight so I can be present with husband while we watch it. (His absolutely hands-down favorite TV show.)
    • Pack box to send to the UK for a certain someone who has a quilt on the way...
    • Bed early tonight. I'm tired and I need some good quality sleep tonight. Put away iPad and read a real book.

@toaljasa Your tribute to @mytime6630 was PERFECT! Those words were almost like giving her the big hug that I wish I could give her! She has been a rock for us for 3 years and I cannot say enough about how awesome she is!

We love you, Joan! :heart:

Have a great evening everyone! I love you all. xoxo
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Wednesday 13 March

Log accurately :)
    Stay in the green :)
    5 fruit and veg :)
    Fitbit excercise goals :)
    January challenge >:) failed again! How difficult can this be?
    February challenge :)
    March challenge :)

• toaljasa
    Options
    Wednesday 13 March

Log accurately :)
    Stay in the green :)
    5 fruit and veg :)
    Fitbit excercise goals :)
    January challenge >:) failed again! How difficult can this be?
    February challenge :)
    March challenge :)

But but but...look at all the marvelous smiles of accomplishment!!!