April 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 sorry to hear about your Glycerin 16's. I just got those a couple weeks ago, replacing my 15's. I have run short and long runs in them, and they feel great. Didn't really notice much difference in 16's vs the 15's. Believe me, I know everyone is different, and shoes are a very personal choice. But just wondering if something else is going on besides the shoes.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @shanaber this will be our 3rd trip to Portland. We've been to both Waffle Window and Voodoo donuts but not to Powells. I used to be a voracious reader but not so much any more.

@zeesparrow did you reserve through Costco by chance? I love how easy they make it and that you're not charged until pick up. For this trip I initially had an intermediate car for $315 but kept checking every week and rebooking whenever I found a better deal. I bet I booked 6 or 7 times.

@KatieJane83 if you decide to try a different model, I found the ASICS Gel Nimbus to be very similar to the Glycerins
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 the last model I have is actually the 14s, lol. I did a really good job of stockpiling those. :D So, for all I know, the 15s could have been the 1st version that didn't work for me. I would suspect other things except that when I run in my old 14s I'm totally fine. So, I think I just finally encountered the Curse Of The New Model, lol. Maybe I'll go to a running store and try out the 17s too, who knows, maybe they changed again!

@7lenny7 good to know and thank you for the suggestion! I'll have to give those a try!

I do still think I'll try the Altras too, I've been thinking about transitioning to zero drop for everything, I'll just need to ease into it. Ideally, I've always wanted to have a couple of different shoes in rotation, I've just always struggled to find shoes that work, but maybe this will be my big opportunity to make that happen!
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Actually, no. I used Expedia. I just checked on Costco and their prices are double my new reservation! Ack!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 I really like The Zoo! We watch a bunch of animal/vet shows because my daughter loves them and that one is super interesting!!

@7lenny7 Good luck on race day!
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    @martaindale one of my favorite things about it is the added depth it gives to my actual visits to the Bronx Zoo. It's really neat when you can visit and make connections to things you've seen on the show!
  • NCK96
    NCK96 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 I remember feeling this way about some model of Nikes many years ago. I'd worn probably 3 or 4 versions in the past, but I bought a newer model and they just didn't work. I scoured the internet for a pair of the older model I'd loved and wore those until they wore out, and then moved on to Saucony and Brooks. I'm in the market for a new pair now and don't even know what to do, so I guess it's back to the running store for me.
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    @NCK96 yeah, it's really frustrating! Glycerins are the only shoes I've run in, they were the ones I was fitted in when I first started running when I went to my first running store to get fitted. I feel like I'm losing an old friend! :D Good luck to both of us with finding new shoes that work!
  • heracaniac
    heracaniac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @NCK96 yeah, it's really frustrating! Glycerins are the only shoes I've run in, they were the ones I was fitted in when I first started running when I went to my first running store to get fitted.

The Glycerin 11 was the first running shoe that I was fitted for, but at the time it was because I was having some foot issues. After surgery, therapy and recovery, I have continued to go with the Glycerins. I do have the Revels too but they are just not as comfortable for me.
  • NCK96
    NCK96 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    heracaniac wrote: »
    So it's getting real!! My very first 10K!
    Signed up today! I'm super excited for this new journey!

qfpbx4q64qeu.jpg

Awesome!!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Hrm... extended forecast is calling for temperatures in the SEVENTIES F for my Marathon. Good thing I PR'd last year, no way I am PRing in those temps! I will just have to focus on "running well" and seeing what I end up with.

Barefoot caveman weather!