October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart @hamsterwheel6 and @autumnblade75 congrats on the races and the AG finishes!!
    @hamsterwheel6 you destroyed your old PR! I've heard of staggered start as in they start the race in waves but I've never heard of a race where you have a window and can start anytime you want within that window. Interesting.
    @143tobe very nice! It's always great to nail a goal time!
    @Squish815 fantastic race, love the photo!

My apologies if I missed anyone. I had a lot of catching up to do!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Great race report, I love the details and hearing about every moment, makes me feel like I was there. And I learn stuff too.
    As for the staggered start, the greenway would get too congested if they let everyone start at the same time even in waves. And they don't close it to the public for only 2-300 racers.

@rheddmobile congrats on a great race as well, very cool!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    As others have said, that’s a great race report @7lenny7. I had a similar experience to you at the 18-19km mark of the Taupo Half where it all of a sudden got really hard and I though I was hitting the wall. I only realized I was running uphill when I crested the hill and things got easier again. It’s helpful to have that information/experience in the back of your mind so you can do a better performance analysis during the race.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Sooooo

I'm treating myself to a new watch...
    I currently have the vivoactive 3 with music.

I'm deciding between the vivoactive 4, so just the updated version of what I currently have, and love.

Or the forerunner 645 (music)

Both are currently the same price.

I got the watch for the GPS and music. I like the HR and do notice vo2 max but don't live by it. I use the step counter and smart watch features.as in I love my current watch so like the idea of just updating it.

But I think I'd like the running metric info, at least I'd find them interesting.

Thoughts?
  • kirstymn
    kirstymn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    October Goal: 220km

01/10: 10.43
    04/10: 12.14
    05/10: 21.31
    07/10: 10.16
    08/10: 8.06
    09/10: 5.42

Total KM run: 67.52

@Avidkeo My Garmin VivoSmart 4 is just under two years old and it went from only having to be charged about once per week, to a few weeks ago it wouldn't even last the day. Like @T1DCarnivoreRunner I just figured it had run it's life span, but I was pretty annoyed it only worked for under 2 years.

@shanaber Have a great trip. I'm hoping for the best outcome for Hobbes

@rheddmobile Fantastic race report. Congratulations on the AG win and 4th overall female! That's interesting about no one wanting to line up at the front. It looks like you both had a wonderful day :)

@7Lenny7 Love the detailed race report and pictures! It sounds like you had a such a great experience from start to finish - except maybe the porta-pot stop at the end :smiley:
  • kirstymn
    kirstymn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo I really want the FR645. I don't know much about the VA4 so can't comment on that. I use a FR235 now and I love it, but want the added functionality of the music on the watch so I don't have to carry my phone if I don't want to
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    kirstymn wrote: »
    @Avidkeo I really want the FR645. I don't know much about the VA4 so can't comment on that. I use a FR235 now and I love it, but want the added functionality of the music on the watch so I don't have to carry my phone if I don't want to

I love that aspect of my current watch which is why I got it.

I gather that to get the full metrics of the 645 you need an extra strap. On further reading I see the only real difference is touch screen vs buttons.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    kirstymn wrote: »
    October Goal: 220km

01/10: 10.43
    04/10: 12.14
    05/10: 21.31
    07/10: 10.16
    08/10: 8.06
    09/10: 5.42

Total KM run: 67.52

@Avidkeo My Garmin VivoSmart 4 is just under two years old and it went from only having to be charged about once per week, to a few weeks ago it wouldn't even last the day. Like @T1DCarnivoreRunner I just figured it had run it's life span, but I was pretty annoyed it only worked for under 2 years.

Reading the forums, it seems a lot of watches have the same issue following an update a week or so ago. Wonder if it is actually relates