Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    October Goal 100 miles

October 2 – 5.18 miles
    October 4 – 10.7 miles
    October 7 – 4.01 miles
    October 8 – 4.51 miles
    October 9 – 5 miles

Another cool 55F run at 5 this morning. Now this is Fall weather!

@rheddmobile – Congratulations on your female master award! I enjoyed reading your race report but you are not slow at all! I couldn’t run a mile at 7:33 if Satan himself was chasing me!

Great race report @7lenny7! Glad you had such a good race and took the time to recognize the beauty in the day and in your ability. That cathedral is beautiful! @katharmonic – I also thought of @MobyCarp and his race reports when I was reading.

Very nice job, great start to October!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,001 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Congratulations to you and your husband on your 5K! Congratulations also on the awesome mile PR. Sounds like that was a fantastic day all around!

@7lenny7 Great race report. Glad you enjoyed it so much! Congratulations on making your goal time.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq Sounds like a great, exhausting race! Loved the report. Except, you forgot to let us know what your finish time was. Sounds like it was probably better than expected!

Hah, minor details! I finished in 2:03:31, slower than my arbitrary two hour target, but ahead of the marathon winners (who started 40 minutes after I did), which was the only thing I’d really wanted to avoid.

1000 people behind you! You rocked it! :)

Also, man @7lenny7 is tall! No wonder he is so fast, he probably only need 1/2 the number of strides of a normal person to finish a race. :smiley:

Well, there were almost 10,000 people ahead of me, but I'll take it. I really was worried about being caught by the elite marathoners, though, so I'm super glad that didn't happen. And yeah, I'm on the shorter side (5'2") but @7lenny7 is definitely a tall dude. When I'm feeling insecure about being slow, which happens less and less often, I remind myself that I've got to take a lot more steps to go the same distance as these tall types!

Obviously the "7"'s in @7lenny7 are because he is 7 foot, 7 inches tall.

@PastorVincent ha, not quite. I'm just 6' 5". I'm not the tallest in the family though, my youngest son is 6' 7".

Sure you are! :)

Great job on your race even if it was fewer paces for you than most people ;)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    kirstymn wrote: »
    @Avidkeo I really want the FR645. I don't know much about the VA4 so can't comment on that. I use a FR235 now and I love it, but want the added functionality of the music on the watch so I don't have to carry my phone if I don't want to

I love that aspect of my current watch which is why I got it.

I gather that to get the full metrics of the 645 you need an extra strap. On further reading I see the only real difference is touch screen vs buttons.

For running, I found the touch screen extremely annoying on my Apple Watch (one of the reasons I got rid of it actually) - When the watch is wet or my hands are sweaty, it does not work. My Garmin 935's buttons always work. Just something to think about. :)
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    This morning on the way home from work I had a conversation in my head that went like this:
    "I want to run today - it's been 4 days and I'm losing ground on the Monthly Running Challenge."
    "But my knee..."
    "The knee doesn't hurt. It'll be fine."
    "Really? So why am I limping?"
    "Shut up..."

Anyway, I think I probably shouldn't run until I get the limp sorted out, since I don't trust myself about whether or not it hurts. Which I would seriously question if someone else said something like that. I don't have answers, though. Mostly doesn't hurt. Limping anyway. And then sometimes it hurts. Definitely limping, then. Wish I knew what I'd done, and how to prevent it happening again. Suspect stretching might help. Can't imagine any reason it would be a BAD idea.

I'll run my Brew 5k, too. Hopefully I'll have sorted the limp out by then. I've got nearly a month. But I'm not registering for anything new until it feels better. Ha ha ha. I mean, until I've stopped limping.

I shall commence lurking.

As @PastorVincent would say, I'm not a doctor, but my personal experience with knees that hurt while running and on and off, gradually worsening to the point of having to walk without bending it, turned out to be caused by severely contractured calf and quad muscles. Took plenty of physiotherapy, massage and stretching along with a back-to-basics approach to running. Now my knees start to grumble at me when I'm due another massage or haven't been stretching enough, feels like someone put a metal vice round them and slowly tightens it. I'm currently experimenting with swimming as cross training, seems to be helping loosen the muscles up.
    Try and stretch as much as possible but not if it really hurts!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @Avidkeo congrats and enjoy!

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,001 Member
    Options
    and I realized that between the two of us, I was definitely the strange one cause I'd obviously been running for 2 hours and counting. My cold/allergies again weren't too troublesome while I was out, although 21.5k did feel awfully long, but again, now that I'm done, I just want to crash somewhere. But I've got stuff to do, and feel better than yesterday, so moving forward :)

Hahaha You're not weird at all. You're awesome. I hope you are feeling better today.

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Reading the forums, it seems a lot of watches have the same issue following an update a week or so ago. Wonder if it is actually relates

I received an email from Garmin a couple of weeks ago indicating that if I had updated my iPhone to IOS 13 and am having trouble connecting or getting notifications on my Garmin device to refer to their support center for helpful tips. Not really related to the battery life though. :/ More of an issue with the IOS 13 requiring Bluetooth Sharing to be turned on.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    This morning on the way home from work I had a conversation in my head that went like this:
    "I want to run today - it's been 4 days and I'm losing ground on the Monthly Running Challenge."
    "But my knee..."
    "The knee doesn't hurt. It'll be fine."
    "Really? So why am I limping?"
    "Shut up..."

Anyway, I think I probably shouldn't run until I get the limp sorted out, since I don't trust myself about whether or not it hurts. Which I would seriously question if someone else said something like that. I don't have answers, though. Mostly doesn't hurt. Limping anyway. And then sometimes it hurts. Definitely limping, then. Wish I knew what I'd done, and how to prevent it happening again. Suspect stretching might help. Can't imagine any reason it would be a BAD idea.

I'll run my Brew 5k, too. Hopefully I'll have sorted the limp out by then. I've got nearly a month. But I'm not registering for anything new until it feels better. Ha ha ha. I mean, until I've stopped limping.

I shall commence lurking.

As @PastorVincent would say, I'm not a doctor, but my personal experience with knees that hurt while running and on and off, gradually worsening to the point of having to walk without bending it, turned out to be caused by severely contractured calf and quad muscles. Took plenty of physiotherapy, massage and stretching along with a back-to-basics approach to running. Now my knees start to grumble at me when I'm due another massage or haven't been stretching enough, feels like someone put a metal vice round them and slowly tightens it. I'm currently experimenting with swimming as cross training, seems to be helping loosen the muscles up.
    Try and stretch as much as possible but not if it really hurts!

I'm happy to hear that stretching is the right track, but not likely to start getting massages. Interestingly, my knee twinges more frequently while walking than while running, and when it acts up, I have more trouble straightening it than bending it. So, I'm not sure we're experiencing the same problems. It feels pretty good today, and I didn't catch myself limping, so I'm thinking if nothing happens between now and tomorrow, I'll do a short run to ease back into it. But I did walk up less gradually than usual this morning, because I pointed my toes to stretch and my calf immediately began to cramp. I stopped that stretch and it calmed right down, but I was Awake! And there is certainly muscle tightness. So there's that...

Stretching. Yeah. Probably time to take up Yoga. With ...Adrienne? right? I'll google it.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    10-1 7k slow
    10-2 7k easy
    10-3 rest
    10-4 rest
    10-5 7k moderate
    10-6 7k easy
    10-7 rest
    10-8 7k moderate
    10-9 7k easy
    10-10 rest

October Total: 42k
    October Goal: 135k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k
    August Total: 133k
    September Total: 135k

2019 total: 1,308k / 811m

Monthly average: 145.3k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races. Completed 8-31
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen - Completed 9-28

Scheduled rest day today. Golf instead.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k - 31:39 chip time; 32:00 Garmin time; Third Place male 60 and older
    9-14 Gift of Life 5k - off the schedule; insufficient recovery time
    10-13 Haunted Hustle 5k