January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited January 2020
    I've never been bored by a race I have never run before. It kind of makes me think of an exam, a very important one that I need to take. I paid for it and never showed up. Then I whined about it for awhile and my husband told me to stop talking about it; there are those that can and do...and then there are the others. It's a five hour exam and it's hard and of course I whined, cried, and made excuses about why I wouldn't take my seat for it and truth is, I don't belong in that seat yet because in my head I haven't earned my place there (even though I spent several years in college to even earn a chance in the first place). I wasn't ready for the challenge, not then. I will take that exam when I'm ready and in the meantime, I don't mention it; truth is I don't know the challenge it poses because I won't even face it. Not yet... Yes I am a perfectionist and it's a downfall, sometimes.

@Camaramandy648 I am far from it...but thank you...

• LoveyChar
    edited January 2020
    One other thing: I run with a stroller 4-5 days per week and 1-2 days without one on the weekends when my husband is not working. My little guy isn't the reason I don't run; he's one of the reasons I do run. I love being with him; I also value my rare alone time. My sister-in-law has run several marathons pre-pregnancy/motherhood and has run several marathons with her children cheering her on. She never stopped, never made excuses. She's been running since they were tiny...before...I am impressed by her dedication, fact that she never did and won't make any excuses. I've done the 5k runs and it's great but there's absolutely no challenge in it for me. Absolutely none, it's a waste of money for me if I have to pay for it and unless it's a group activity with friends or family, it's not even worth the gas to get there. I have yet to see anyone fail to finish a 5k. For me, a marathon is a challenge...and a challenge is what im looking for.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I ran today but Strava hasn’t synced it from Fitbit yet. I’m going to give it some time before I start messing with the settings. I really like to track my data in Strava and am annoyed by this. But.... the run was great. The schedule called for 1.5/3.5 Walk/Run intervals at this stage. I am definitely feeling stronger than my run last week. Still some tightness in the hamstring. But overall a good run.

@emmamcgarity Wait, you can link Strava and Fitbit? I had no idea!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I ran today but Strava hasn’t synced it from Fitbit yet. I’m going to give it some time before I start messing with the settings. I really like to track my data in Strava and am annoyed by this. But.... the run was great. The schedule called for 1.5/3.5 Walk/Run intervals at this stage. I am definitely feeling stronger than my run last week. Still some tightness in the hamstring. But overall a good run.

Yes! If you track a GPS run on Fitbit it will sync to Strava. I like to do this because it captures my heart rate etc. But I don’t have a GPS enabled Fitbit. I have the Inspire HR. I keep my phone with me with the app open in the background. Then I use the run button on the watch to start the activity once it confirms it’s connected. It appears in this case the GPS failed. That’s why it didn’t sync. So I just manually entered it in Strava.

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    I feel like the marathon boom has made people feel like a marathon is the ultimate end goal of running or something that you have to do to be a "real runner" when in reality people can find challenge and fulfillment running all sorts of race distances (or never running a race at all).

I get what you're saying here. I think it could be partially true because of marketing and the comeback that running has made.

I don't think it's an either/or deal though.

For me, the marathon is not the ultimate. I have no doubt that I will finish my marathon. I'm not worried about beating time, either. My goal is to say that I made this committment and pushed myself to keep it..

The actual ultimate for me is an ultra race. I want to see what I am capable of.

I think the marathon would be the ultimate depending on the motives and season of the runner as an individual, no? And then you have to consider types of marathons and other races. Too many variables. The experience of running is so personal that it would be hard to tell for sure, what the ultimate thing is for each person.
  • janejellyroll

Yes! If you track a GPS run on Fitbit it will sync to Strava. I like to do this because it captures my heart rate etc. But I don’t have a GPS enabled Fitbit. I have the Inspire HR. I keep my phone with me with the app open in the background. Then I use the run button on the watch to start the activity once it confirms it’s connected. It appears in this case the GPS failed. That’s why it didn’t sync. So I just manually entered it in Strava.

Cool - thanks!
  • LoveyChar
    edited January 2020
    I feel like the marathon boom has made people feel like a marathon is the ultimate end goal of running or something that you have to do to be a "real runner" when in reality people can find challenge and fulfillment running all sorts of race distances (or never running a race at all).

I get what you're saying here. I think it could be partially true because of marketing and the comeback that running has made.

For me, the marathon is not the ultimate. I have no doubt that I will finish my marathon. I'm not worried about beating time, either. My goal is to say that I made this committment and pushed myself to keep it..

The actual ultimate for me is an ultra race. I want to see what I am capable of.

I think the marathon would be the ultimate depending on the motives and season of the runner as an individual, no? And then you have to consider types of marathons and other races. Too many variables. The experience of running is so personal that it would be hard to tell for sure, what the ultimate thing is for each person.

I'm not saying that individuals shouldn't choose a marathon as *their* ultimate. I'm just arguing that it doesn't have to be unless you want it to be. Someone who runs 5Ks or untimed fun runs or never does an organized run is just as much a runner as a marathoner, there's nothing wrong with never doing one (or trying it once and deciding you don't want to do another one). I see too many runners feeling like they *should* do a marathon or that they should learn to like them.

I do agree that you don't have to run a marathon to be a runner. I definitely would not disregard anyone's goals that does not or would not or could not run a marathon. For me, this is a bucket list dream goal; there is no other option for me because I don't want any other option. If you asked me if I think that the dedication and preparation to run a marathon or greater distance isn't much more intense, time consuming, or difficult, then I'd say yes it's much more difficult to train for and run a marathon. Plus there's the wear and tear on your body; you have to be strong mentally and physically.

If you walked into my 68-year-old father's bedroom, you'd see hundreds of weightlifting and boxing trophies. Yet he'll tell me he loved running when he was younger. Whether or not he considered himself a runner or not, I don't know. But I do know, I do remember, the countless hours he spent at the gym lifting weights. I think, for many, it depends on what you want the end result to be.

I decided last spring that I was running a marathon. I registered for it on July 13th...yes, I registered for a marathon before i even knew about the movie 'Brittany Runs a Marathon.' I'm running it for many, many reasons but in the beginning it was never to be part of a club...actually to the contrary since "Many will try, few will succeed" - David in 'Brittany Runs a Marathon.' I will learn from anyone. However, I am enthralled by the marathon runner. Truly. I desperately want to be the marathon runner. I will take whatever piece of advice that they can give me because the "been there, done that" of a marathon runner impresses me.
  • janejellyroll
    LoveyChar wrote: »

I'm not saying that individuals shouldn't choose a marathon as *their* ultimate. I'm just arguing that it doesn't have to be unless you want it to be. Someone who runs 5Ks or untimed fun runs or never does an organized run is just as much a runner as a marathoner, there's nothing wrong with never doing one (or trying it once and deciding you don't want to do another one). I see too many runners feeling like they *should* do a marathon or that they should learn to like them.

I do agree that you don't have to run a marathon to be a runner. I definitely would not disregard anyone's goals that does not or would not or could not run a marathon. For me, this is a bucket list dream goal; there is no other option for me because I don't want any other option. If you asked me if I think that the dedication and preparation to run a marathon or greater distance isn't much more intense, time consuming, or difficult, then I'd say yes it's much more difficult to train for and run a marathon. Plus there's the wear and tear on your body; you have to be strong mentally and physically.

If you walked into my 68-year-old father's bedroom, you'd see hundreds of weightlifting and boxing trophies. Yet he'll tell me he loved running when he was younger. Whether or not he considered himself a runner or not, I don't know. But I do know, I do remember, the countless hours he spent at the gym. I think, for many, it depends on what you want the end result to be.

I decided last spring that I was running a marathon. I registered for it on July 13th...yes, I registered for a marathon before i even knew about the movie 'Brittany Runs a Marathon.' I'm running it for many, many reasons but in the beginning it was never to be part of a club...actually to the contrary since "Many will try, few will succeed" - David in 'Brittany Runs a Marathon.' I will learn from anyone. However, I am enthralled by the marathon runner. Truly. I desperately want to be the marathon runner. I will take whatever piece of advice that they can give me because the "been there, done that" of a marathon runner impresses me.

I'm not arguing that training for a marathon isn't difficult or that completing a marathon isn't an accomplishment. But there are great and dedicated runners that have never run one and doing well at any distance requires physical and mental strength.

Nothing I'm writing is designed to dissuade someone from running a marathon. I run them myself.

I just think there's too much focus on it as the "main event" of running. I can respect the distance and the accomplishment while acknowledging that it's not for everyone.

It sounds like right now it's the ultimate distance and goal for you and I think it's great you're going for it. Good luck with your marathon!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    @PastorVincent @Avidkeo think burning as in sharp pain, but it isn’t just my shins.

When I was out Saturday it felt as though I had never run before and occurred within the first three miles, after several days of rest. It felt like it was too much work on my legs. Yes, I’ve been fitted.

I think I may want to get refitted because I think gait changes over time especially the more we run. I also think that even though I ordered the same shoes, there are probably still differences, such as heel drop. I won’t be able to replace them just yet, so in the meantime, I am going to make sure my form is solid and see if maybe breaking them in is still necessary. I’d think that after twenty miles, they’d be broken in, though.

We’ll see. When it is reasonable to do so, I will get fitted again and get another pair. Until then, I will keep alternating the old and new. Hopefully, this will solve it

Humans' gait does change as they learn from and if a person loses a non-trivial amount of weight that can change gate too (and foot width/size and other things).

If you were expertly fitted and have the wrong shoes these are the possible reasons:

1) Whoever fit you made a mistake (they depend on feedback from you being accurate and they are human)
    2) The shoes changed (this happens)
    3) The shoes are defective (this happens)
    4) You changed the way you run

It is probably #4 in most cases for most people. :)

HOWEVER - a "burning" sensation is not normal. @Avidkeo is right to say see a doc for that. Running is all about learning your body and what various feelings mean.

The rule of thumb is if something causes a SHARP pain - STOP and evaluate. If it just makes you SORE - that is a good thing. :) And if you are burning - STOP, DROP, ROLL. :smiley:

This may be off in left field somewhere, but there IS that feeling I get when I'm doing some sort of activity for longer than my body is used to at that time - like if I'd go out right now and try to cycle up a long hill, I would describe the feeling I'd get in certain leg muscles as "burning". If that's what you're feeling, it will probably be followed a day or two later by soreness in the same spot. How much have you been increasing mileage lately? Have you changed anything else, like doing more hills or speed work or some sort of cross training? If it's enough to force you to stop running though, and is a continuing problem, I'd try to get it checked out.