January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited January 2020
    In the past running up to 8 mile long runs seems to be a sweet spot for me which makes my fitness and health improve. Even training for a half causes more damage to my body than it can keep up with. I don’t need or enjoy stress injuries! I have no intention of ever running a marathon just because of the expectation that “real runners run marathons.” It’s not something that would be good for my tendons or my joints, or useful for my goals.

By the way, if a shorter distance doesn’t seem challenging, you can always try running it faster. There’s a kid locally who runs 15 minute 5Ks. When I beat him, I will have earned the right to be bored by 5Ks.

I'm not sure who said they'd be bored by a 5k, but I think if increasing speed for a short distance is the goal, then a 5k is fantastic for that!

And yes, adding... increasing speed will definitely make it more challenging but it won't increase the length of the race and I think most marathon runners are looking forward to the endurance aspect where they can also increase their speed. However, that boy is impressive!
  • LoveyChar
    edited January 2020
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I agree with others is the thing that makes you a runner is strapping getting out the door, or stepping on a dread ill and running. Thats it.

Marathons and ultras are definitely a pinnacle because of the amount of dedication they require and the toll they take on your body and frankly personal time.

The thought that you HAVE TO run a marathon to be a true runner is BS and needs to go away.

I personally prefer anything between 5 - 22k. Doing a 5k well still takes dedication, but a lot less than a half or a full.

And remember what happened to the first guy to run to Marathon. He died. So yeah. There's that.

Yes, we all die somehow and he screamed "victory" before he died, goal accomplished 26.2 miles ran with a purpose! That's one awesome way to go!
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    I feel like the marathon boom has made people feel like a marathon is the ultimate end goal of running or something that you have to do to be a "real runner" when in reality people can find challenge and fulfillment running all sorts of race distances (or never running a race at all).

I get what you're saying here. I think it could be partially true because of marketing and the comeback that running has made.

I don't think it's an either/or deal though.

For me, the marathon is not the ultimate. I have no doubt that I will finish my marathon. I'm not worried about beating time, either. My goal is to say that I made this committment and pushed myself to keep it..

The actual ultimate for me is an ultra race. I want to see what I am capable of.

I think the marathon would be the ultimate depending on the motives and season of the runner as an individual, no? And then you have to consider types of marathons and other races. Too many variables. The experience of running is so personal that it would be hard to tell for sure, what the ultimate thing is for each person.

I'm not saying that individuals shouldn't choose a marathon as *their* ultimate. I'm just arguing that it doesn't have to be unless you want it to be. Someone who runs 5Ks or untimed fun runs or never does an organized run is just as much a runner as a marathoner, there's nothing wrong with never doing one (or trying it once and deciding you don't want to do another one). I see too many runners feeling like they *should* do a marathon or that they should learn to like them.

On of the running articles, I plan to write someday is "The Myth of Running Farther" - I run 50k races and you know what I keep hearing? "You going to sign up for such and such 50-miler" - to which I say "No." and people are surprised.

I like the 50k distance on trail, but honestly, after I get my BQ I might drop down to 30k and less on street. I have no plans to run father than 50k at this point.

Everyone should pick their distances that match their lifestyle, goals, ability, and etc. My goals are not yours, and yours are not mine. We each find our own path. :)

I totally agree. While I am planning on running a 50K at some point in my life, right now my work schedule will only support half marathon distance. I did train for a marathon on my current schedule, which had me getting off work at 5:00 am (I work 12-hr night shifts, 2 on/ 2 off) to turn around and get my long runs in. It was horrid, and I ended up getting sick (flu) several times during training because my body was just so tired.
  • LoveyChar
    edited January 2020
    Running is personal. Reasons are personal. I started running to de-stress from a very stressful job and I grew to love it. My daughter has been running cross country for 4 years, every fall, and says she hates it but that she does it to stay in shape for pole vaulting in the spring. My husband spent years running in the military and says he never wants to run again; he'll lift weights, speed walk, and swim. Point is, no you don't need to run marathons to be a real runner; you don't even have to like running to be a real runner (my daughter)! There are kids, really awesome kids, that are running hard and heavy sprints out on that track while she's pole vaulting. I love every one of them...some will never earn a medal, never...and they're no less of a runner than those that do earn medals. Cross country, she runs on one of the best teams in central Texas and they're known for it too...yet, most of those kids will not earn individual medals (only as a team). I agree that you don't need to run a marathon to be a real runner.

Also, if you are going to run a race and pay for it, where does the money sacrifice come in? My husband asked me a few days ago if I wanted a gym membership at his gym since they're on sale and I said no.

1) I'd rather register for a marathon or two with the money I'd spend for a gym membership.
    2) I haven't been on a treadmill since 2016 and I'd rather run in the freezing rain by myself like I did last week than drive to a gym to run on a treadmill. Plus all of the others, so much of it that I would do in a gym, I can do here.

So I think it boils down to:
    1) Where do you want to spend your money? For me, I'm not paying for a gym membership. I'm also not paying to run a short race. I can increase my speed over a longer distance just as I could a shorter one.
    2)Where do you want to spend your time? What are your goals and how much time and energy are you willing to sacrifice?

I don't think distance or speed defines a runner.
  • LoveyChar
    edited January 2020
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I agree with others is the thing that makes you a runner is strapping getting out the door, or stepping on a dread ill and running. Thats it.

Marathons and ultras are definitely a pinnacle because of the amount of dedication they require and the toll they take on your body and frankly personal time.

The thought that you HAVE TO run a marathon to be a true runner is BS and needs to go away.

I personally prefer anything between 5 - 22k. Doing a 5k well still takes dedication, but a lot less than a half or a full.

And remember what happened to the first guy to run to Marathon. He died. So yeah. There's that.

Yes, we all die somehow and he screamed "victory" before he died, goal accomplished 26.2 miles ran with a purpose! That's one awesome way to go!

To be fair, he ran from Athens to Sparta and back, then to Marathon and was injured in battle before running a marathon back to Athens in order to deliver the news that they had been victorious over Xerxes' forces. Sure, he technically died after running a marathon, but had run a few hundred miles and was wounded in battle first.

Having said all of that, I concur that one need not run a marathon to be a runner. Some runners stick with 5K's, others run ultras, and everywhere in between.

And I agree...

Adding, though, that makes him even more of an inspiration...not less.