What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    Cake is crumbly and not worth it. CHEESECAKE however is different. Graham cracker crust omg

Cake is tricky... not big on cake in general, but carrot cake? YUP. Death by chocolate?? Count me in. Lava?? heck yeah. But red velvet... meh... coffee cake? no thanks.

I thought I saw you posted a lot of gourmet cake photos in here though? But no to COFFEE CAKE?! I loveeeeee coffee cake. (Only ones like this with tons of cinnamon streusel topping.) I agree though about cake. I am also not a fan of cake except carrot or cheesecake. I'd take cookies over cake anyday. 83qpntoouhaj.png

3erc4tmjhs6a.png

5deb7jlud8ve.png
    3tkrsljt8scg.png

Oh, don't get me wrong. LOVE a good mousse cake or death by chocolate! And carrot cake... But just generic boxed cake is... undesirable. And I guess I've just had too many dry coffee cakes? But these look good!

As far as desserts go, I'm team brownie and team pie!
  • pancakerunner
    sardelsa wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Butter on pancakes is disgusting

Omg I love butter and whipped cream on pancakes! They taste so much better. Worth the cals everytime :)

SAME! Love WHIPPED butter on pancakes. Makes a difference! With warm berries... yum! I'll pass on the maple syrup though. THAT is a wastye of calories imo
  • pancakerunner
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Cake is crumbly and not worth it. CHEESECAKE however is different. Graham cracker crust omg

Cake is tricky... not big on cake in general, but carrot cake? YUP. Death by chocolate?? Count me in. Lava?? heck yeah. But red velvet... meh... coffee cake? no thanks.

Pie is better than cake, but of cake, carrot cake and coffee cake are both among the best.

I'll pass on red velvet, as well as lava, and death by chocolate. Too much chocolate and more chocolate ruins a cake IMO.

Strongly disagree on your "too much chocolate" comment... but agree with pie being better! Banana cream! French Silk! Cherry! Yes...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I like biscuits, but I don't like honey butter. Honey, good, or butter, good (better, IMO, for biscuits or bread in general), but not both together.

I also cannot stand honey mustard or honey mustard dressings.

I think that's my deal with pancakes and butter -- I do like maple syrup, and as an alternative I like heating up blueberries or other berries and putting them on pancakes, but mixing that with butter seems weird and unnecessary.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited February 2020

Pie is better than cake, but of cake, carrot cake and coffee cake are both among the best.

I'll pass on red velvet, as well as lava, and death by chocolate. Too much chocolate and more chocolate ruins a cake IMO.

Strongly disagree on your "too much chocolate" comment... but agree with pie being better! Banana cream! French Silk! Cherry! Yes...

Hey @pancakerunner! Get thee to thy Bake Sale thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10784483/help-signed-up-for-a-bake-sale-what-do-i-bring/p1
  • gremloBBPT
    gremloBBPT Posts: 51 Member
    gremloBBPT wrote: »
    My fellow dislikers of cake! That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. I've not met others before who dislike it. Some of it is only meh--rather than disliked--and I do enjoy some (coffee cake is a winner with me), but usually I don't like it. I loathe most frostings, way too sweet.

I also don't like soda and find most mass produced desserts here in the US grossly sweet/tasteless beyond sugar.

Bad cake is bad, and I'm a most cake is meh person, but good cake is good, and IMO good cake does not have super sweet icing. There are a variety of icing options out there.

Agree about the icing options--it's the overly sweet frostings that I loathe, and I find most of them too sweet. But the ones that don't fall in that camp can be tasty to me. I'd put even good cake way towards the bottom of my list of foods I enjoy, though. Well, flour-based cakes. I love cheesecake.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My fellow dislikers of cake! That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. I've not met others before who dislike it. Some of it is only meh--rather than disliked--and I do enjoy some (coffee cake is a winner with me), but usually I don't like it. I loathe most frostings, way too sweet.

I also don't like soda and find most mass produced desserts here in the US grossly sweet/tasteless beyond sugar.

Yes, I can't stand supermarket birthday cake and when I bake I often reduce the sugar by 1/3 - 1/2.

Ugh, supermarket bday cake. :s Sorry, this might be obvious, but what's a "JOC" recipe?

Sorry, "Joy of Cooking" - my cooking bible and encyclopedia. It taught me how to cook when I left home and realized I didn't know how :lol:

My library system has it and yours might too.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Omg I love butter and whipped cream on pancakes! They taste so much better. Worth the cals everytime :)

SAME! Love WHIPPED butter on pancakes. Makes a difference! With warm berries... yum! I'll pass on the maple syrup though. THAT is a wastye of calories imo

Ohh see I love syrup too. Whipped butter or cream, berries, syrup. Yum. I have calories coming out of my ears so load er up ;)
  • gremloBBPT
    gremloBBPT Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks @kshama2001. I've actually never read that classic! I love cooking and learning about food, so I'll definitely check it out.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I love most Vietnamese food, but I think pho is usually kind of nasty and VERY overrated.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I'm not a fan of cakes but love black forest cake. It's probably because I love cherries.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

Not disgusting, IMO, but entirely pointless--adds nothing, and therefore a waste of cals.

I'm definitely on this team.

I guess I fall somewhere in between Nooshi and lemurcat though because I think it takes the pancakes down a notch from being perfectly delicious, but doesn't ruin them. Definitely a big waste of calories.
  • pancakerunner

Ohh see I love syrup too. Whipped butter or cream, berries, syrup. Yum. I have calories coming out of my ears so load er up ;)

mrivbsf9hqxb.jpg
    o98ofr19voiw.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    While we are on the topic... crepes > pancakes
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,351 Member

THIS is the train I'm on. With lemon juice and powdered sugar.
  • pancakerunner

THIS is the train I'm on. With lemon juice and powdered sugar.

and NOT nutella!!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

10000% agree, especially the ones my mom makes. Pancakes are a take it or leave it for me. I've had them maybe 10 times in my entire life because I usually find myself opting for something else.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

Maybe you should change your user name....?
  • pancakerunner

Maybe you should change your user name....?

Ha! "creperunner" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
  • pancakerunner

10000% agree, especially the ones my mom makes. Pancakes are a take it or leave it for me. I've had them maybe 10 times in my entire life because I usually find myself opting for something else.

I still really like pancakes... made with buttermilk and lemon juice... extra fluffy. With fresh blueberry compote. Reminds me of childhood.