March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman how did the checkup go? Yes, calorie free... hahahaha and also it MUST be an anti inflammatory food, right?

@SassyBelle070707 The rule of thumb is to not change your diet the day before or days before a race. Simultaneously the rule of thumb is the carb load the days before...

I usually run fasted which is a huge mistake so at least, don't do that. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @SassyBelle070707 Best race day advice is to not add any new foods before the race. You typically want to eat the way you ate before your longer runs while training.

I don't do anything special with eating the day before a half.

Good luck!
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    I'm freaking out because I don't know what I will do with myself after my marathon.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I think that if you WANT to do Boston, you can. I only say that as a single mom of two with special needs - so I empathize and fully understand having to prioritize financially. I'm just saying. If you make a plan. Say... two years from now you run Boston.... that'd give you time to make it happen. Maybe?

As a fellow parent... you are right I could but you would also understand I have other higher priorities for reasons likely similar to yours. :)

I do want to know if I CAN. So that is where my focus is now. :)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    @SassyBelle070707 I’ll third the advice to not do anything new before your race.

Experimenting in the days before/days of a race is a great way to find out just how bloated you can feel from eating too much pasta and whether or not the race organizers really have enough portopotties along the course.

Whatever you’ve been doing in training (that is working) is what you should do on and before race day.

If you’re the nervous type; maybe focus on getting good sleep on the second and third nights before the race (in case you’re too anxious to sleep well the night before).

Good luck and have fun!

• PastorVincent
    Options

17 days to my first half marathon!!! I am looking for race day and days before food tips!
    !

The biggest rule of thumb: NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY.

Stick to what worked during training. That includes food, clothes, etc.

Also HAVE FUN!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I'm freaking out because I don't know what I will do with myself after my marathon.

Another race of course!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Right after? If you're anything like me, you'll savor a beer that tastes better than beer does any other time, scarf some potato chips, and feel aches in muscles you didn't even know you had.

If you mean in the weeks or so after, yeah, I do sometimes experience a kind of "drifting" feeling. It's challenging to go from such an intensely goal-oriented focus to being like "Well, I can get up and run however long I want to."
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »

@Camaramandy648 You'll register for more! You'll start collecting Marathon medals with great stories, that's what you'll do! Scrapbook it all - take loads of pictures, keep your bib, write your every thought, feeling and emotion. Talk to everyone, gain insight from veteran Marathoners, uplift your children as part of your inspiration so that one day they may be inspired to run themselves or they'll have the courage to follow their dreams, smile and thank everyone for the simplest of things, ask God for strength and praise his name throughout, and cherish these memories forever! That's what you'll do ❤️!

@LoveyChar you are making me cry! Yes!!!! All this!

@PastorVincent Yep. We are probably on the same page with parenting and prioritizing and all the things that go with that. Life is about the choices we make and being intentional with them, so I absolutely get it. I think you really can BQ. You are so dedicated and I think that knowing that, factually, from training so hard, will give you the affirmation and confirmation. I can't wait to see how your BQ saga continues. :)

@Duck_Puddle yep. :) Another race! I was just looking at the moab one and I am not sure I can traverse the distance this year because I've already made so many travel arrangements, but maybe I can do an ultra later in the year in my area. Arkansas is a beautiful state for that.

@janejellyroll my brother and I were JUST talking about beer after races! I NEVER have a beer or wine after running. But maybe in Nashville....

@PastorVincent I am looking at ultras in Arkansas. I don't want to lose this sense of having this big thing I'm working toward. I don't want to feel like a regular person who just goes to work and raises kids - every day so similar. I want to be DOING something... anything... I need purpose!
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @Tramboman how did the checkup go? Yes, calorie free... hahahaha and also it MUST be an anti inflammatory food, right?

@SassyBelle070707 The rule of thumb is to not change your diet the day before or days before a race. Simultaneously the rule of thumb is the carb load the days before...

I usually run fasted which is a huge mistake so at least, don't do that. :)

Checkup went fine. Doc said I have the body and mind of a 68 year old...

The doc is wrong. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options

That race has a date of 2015 on it... is it still a thing? :)
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    Half marathons are tough enough and that's the furthest I've ever rain. I can't even fathom doing a full marathon because my time is to precious to train for it. :) Good luck to those who can though. (I once said I'd never run a half so you never know ;)

Be very careful.
    I once said "OMG A WHOLE 5K? THAT IS SOOOOO FAR!"
    Then I said "A 10-mile race is the limit of insanity. I mean why run farther?"
    Then I was "If I can just do a marathon..."
    Then I was like "Well, a 50k is only a little farther..."

Some day I need to run an official 1/2 marathon race though. :D

this is the truth!

I was vehement that I was never doing a full. I didn’t have the time to train. It’s too much commitment to run as a second job for 6 months. Half’s are plenty-long enough to be long but not life consuming. I’m too slow so I really takes too much time. On and on and on. For years.

I just finished my second full and I already know I’m lying that I’m never doing another one. My next long race target is a 50k. Cause If I’m not doing another full, I’m surely ok to do something longer. *eyeroll at self emoji*

In all honesty, I currently have a hard stop at 50k. The next step up is 50 miles and while I am sure I could do it, the time commitment is beyond me right now and for the foreseeable future. I am actually considering dropping down to 1/2 marathon to 30k for my range after my current training plan is complete.

You mean after you qualify for Boston, you're going to drop down to half marathons instead? ;)

Yes, after the BQ attempt I will probably not run any more road full marathons. Not ruling out trail though :)

So you just want to BQ but not actually do Boston?

It is unrealistic to think I can afford it, but I have not fully ruled that out yet. I am strongly leaning away from actually running Boston. The BQ is what I am targeting more than the race. Just to see if I can :)

But that is over a year out at this point, so I am delaying that decision a while yet.

In all seriousness, if you BQ I bet the folks here would help fund raise. I don’t think you’re allowed to do it through the site but I know I would pitch in a few bucks and I’m broke as hell. We are proud of our own people!

Yep! @PastorVincent YES YES YES we could send checks or Venmo! I'm in. Hands down. For real for real. yes. yes. yes.

Also yes! The one they're doing this year is July 18! It'll be gross, hot, humid, through the woods, late at night. It sounds like so much fun and so challenging! I wish I had more running friends - I would like to find someone to cross the finish line with.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Tuesday evening did 10k easy on trails at WC Johnson with my husband. Trails were slick and sloppy but so flat and even compared to what I’ve been running that it was like a vacation. It’s so warm right now, it’s fully springtime. Cherry blossoms are out.

The run before this one, I tried to go to WC Johnson but was turned aside because of a fatal rollover on highway 385. I looked up the accident later to see what had happened and it turns out the victim was a 23 year old girl who lives just down the street from my mom. So sad. Driving out there yesterday we could see where it happened because there’s still debris in the median, and I was trying to recreate the accident in my mind and could not figure out why anyone would go off the road there - there’s a very gentle curve in the road but honestly, there’s no logical reason to miss it unless you were completely asleep or even more distracted than the usual texting and driving. And she ended up on the INSIDE of the curve, which means as far as I can figure she would have had to drift wide, panic, oversteer, and go the opposite direction. Plus you would have to be going so fast to flip a vehicle there. I said a prayer, shook my head, and felt bad for her family. Then coming home at exactly that point there were two ambulances, a bunch of cops, and another car off the road at exactly the same spot! what the heck? What are people doing there to keep going off the road?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Tuesday evening did 10k easy on trails at WC Johnson with my husband. Trails were slick and sloppy but so flat and even compared to what I’ve been running that it was like a vacation. It’s so warm right now, it’s fully springtime. Cherry blossoms are out.

The run before this one, I tried to go to WC Johnson but was turned aside because of a fatal rollover on highway 385. I looked up the accident later to see what had happened and it turns out the victim was a 23 year old girl who lives just down the street from my mom. So sad. Driving out there yesterday we could see where it happened because there’s still debris in the median, and I was trying to recreate the accident in my mind and could not figure out why anyone would go off the road there - there’s a very gentle curve in the road but honestly, there’s no logical reason to miss it unless you were completely asleep or even more distracted than the usual texting and driving. And she ended up on the INSIDE of the curve, which means as far as I can figure she would have had to drift wide, panic, oversteer, and go the opposite direction. Plus you would have to be going so fast to flip a vehicle there. I said a prayer, shook my head, and felt bad for her family. Then coming home at exactly that point there were two ambulances, a bunch of cops, and another car off the road at exactly the same spot! what the heck? What are people doing there to keep going off the road?

Maybe an animal crossing? They could have driven wildly to avoid a deer or something?
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

In all seriousness, if you BQ I bet the folks here would help fund raise. I don’t think you’re allowed to do it through the site but I know I would pitch in a few bucks and I’m broke as hell. We are proud of our own people!

We could set up a GoFundMe page for you if it came down to it :p