Coronavirus prep

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2020
    Our head immunologists are saying that a drug used in treating reumatoide arthritis is helpful in treating COV19. It can get people off the respirator and into regular care. The drug is manufactured by Rouche here in Italy, they will give it for free (if I'm understanding this right), sorry, but this is fresh news. China is working closely with us and this is what they started using. I will keep you posted if there is any other news on this front.

Great information. The drug (Actemra) you're alluding to is an Interleukin 6 inhibitor. There are natural ones as well -- most of them are Polyphenols. I'm LOADED up on Polyphenols. But this article, while this guy is controversial, gives a nice list of more natural IL-6 inhibitors.

It wouldn't hurt to have some Polyphenols on hand. Amla is a very powerful one. The article lists many more. Personally, I also think AHCC (a special mushroom supplement) and Monolaurin (both coconut derivatives shown to restrict virus growth) would help too.

https://selfhack.com/blog/interleukin-6/

Here's related to the Actemra find. I don't understand enough about the basic science to know why this would help. From what little I know about IL-6 inhibitors, they lower part of your immunity, which, at first glance, seems counterintuitive. But I'm not a scientist. I'm guessing that, at a point, the progression in the lungs acts like an Autoimmune disease, with your body's own defenses making things worse.

http://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/china_backs_use_of_roches_actemra_for_coronavirus_1328014
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    mph323 wrote: »

:lol:

I thought it was going to be a tongue in cheek article telling us not to forget to breathe.

too soon?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

That was interesting. Still didn't answer the question of why toilet paper. This is not a new thing as those of us who live in the frozen north know well.

I just figure it's one of those things that separates us from the animals. :D I think somebody else mentioned that early on in the thread... it's the mark of civilized society. ;)
    Where do bidets fall on the civilisation continuum? I'm thinking bidet > toilet paper > newspaper > corncobs (but really, isn't anything beyond poison oak/ivy/sumac greater than a corncob??)

Bidet > Charmin Ultrasoft Mega > Other consumer TP > commercial TP which is all that's now available in stores near me > newspaper > moss (early medieval) > corncob > left hand

Charmin, means that dryer lint's also an option!

*Frantically starts washing towels*
  • mph323

:lol:

I thought it was going to be a tongue in cheek article telling us not to forget to breathe.

too soon?

Yeah, that's why I clicked on it. I thought "calming breaths shown to reduce cortisol" or something. I'm all in favor of calming breaths.
  • joey32411
    joey32411 Posts: 22 Member
    Fun fact for anyone who cares: The cheapest shelf-stable food item you can buy(at least in Canada) is dried soybeans. They're $0.19 per 100 g. I used this as a reminder to restock my emergency food supply in my pantry, not because I'm worried about this in particular but because we have had blizzards as late in the year as the May long weekend, so it never hurts if there's a disaster like getting snowed in. The toilet paper hoarding is getting utterly ridiculous, though. Hand sanitizer too. Not only is hand sanitizer sold out everywhere but so is aloe vera gel and rubbing alcohol, which you can use to make homemade hand sanitizer in a pinch.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Right now I'm trying to decide whether or not to physically attend church for the next few weeks. Generally there are about 300 people in attendance, but they always live stream the service, so virtual attendance is an option.

The Archdiocese of Chicago just announced that mass is suspended starting this weekend (as well as closing all their schools starting Monday). They are encouraging parishes that can to broadcast mass, though, and churches are open for private prayer.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Interestingly... all the Catholic schools and charter schools in NYC are closing next week, while the public schools remain open.
  • mph323
    lgfrie wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

That was interesting. Still didn't answer the question of why toilet paper. This is not a new thing as those of us who live in the frozen north know well.

I just figure it's one of those things that separates us from the animals. :D I think somebody else mentioned that early on in the thread... it's the mark of civilized society. ;)
    Where do bidets fall on the civilisation continuum? I'm thinking bidet > toilet paper > newspaper > corncobs (but really, isn't anything beyond poison oak/ivy/sumac greater than a corncob??)

Bidet > Charmin Ultrasoft Mega > Other consumer TP > commercial TP which is all that's now available in stores near me > newspaper > moss (early medieval) > corncob > left hand

Charmin, means that dryer lint's also an option!

*Frantically starts washing towels*
    You will be, if you run out of toilet paper! :lol:

😂😂😂
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,715 Member
    Our head immunologists are saying that a drug used in treating reumatoide arthritis is helpful in treating COV19. It can get people off the respirator and into regular care. The drug is manufactured by Rouche here in Italy, they will give it for free (if I'm understanding this right), sorry, but this is fresh news. China is working closely with us and this is what they started using. I will keep you posted if there is any other news on this front.

Is this what you mean? although this was a few days ago
    https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma-asia/china-turns-roche-arthritis-drug-actemra-against-covid-19-new-treatment-guidelines
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    School is still in session today but spring break is next week and I think they're thinking of just having virtual school after that, although it hasn't been announced yet in my district. Stores are being wiped completely clean of all paper products, clorox wipes, bleach etc. It's pretty *kitten*. Let's just share guys... I was legitimately running out of toilet paper at my house lol. I have to work still, I'm in a small office but so many people have been sick over the last couple weeks including me (not corona that I'm aware of?? No one is getting tested for that here!) I don't like sending my kids to daycare but what is there for me to do

Here in Italy, when all schools and universities were closed, the government set up a voucher system to pay for babysitters for people that have no other option. Hopefully your government will do the same.

That could be an opportunity for people laid off from businesses suffering from closures and lack of consumer demand (restaurants, movie theaters, etc., etc.) to bring in a little income by babysitting, preferably for people they already know, because we don't have the infrastructure to be vetting millions of new babysitters.

And, really, I don't know that it should be limited to people that "have no other option." Moving kids from schools to large-scale day-care centers doesn't really accomplish anything from the perspective of limiting transmission. Best case would be for all those kids to stay at home, whether under parental care or babysitter care, paid for with vouchers if parents need them.