Coronavirus prep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    My parents are in their mid 70s and I typically go over twice a week to have dinner with them. Should I stop going? I can't tell if I'm being cavalier to go over or being overly anxious to not visit them the whole time this is going on. I know they'll say to come over, that's just how they are!

How is your social distancing? If you have contact with no one, that's one end of the scale. If you're out and about to a job, maybe errands, with live-in immediate family doing likewise, worse yet some younger family member dodging isolation and then coming home, that's the other end of the scale. Contact locations may matter, too (health care facilities, say, vs. some others), as do factors others have mentioned.

Personally, I'd stay away from my elderly parents (if I still had any), unless I was pretty much 100% isolated myself, and had been so for a bit, but ramp up other kinds of contact (phone, video chat, email, whatever media they were comfortable with) so they knew I was still caring about them. But that's just me.

I'm not an anxious person, I'm not in a major hotspot, but I'm isolating myself as much as practical anyway, for my own and others' benefit.

I am debating about visiting my 82 yo mom as well. Specifically, this coming Sunday. My social distancing is pretty good - my OH and I work from home. However, I was at my GYN last Tuesday, and the store Wed or Thursday. (Today is Monday.)
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    okay, I'm obviously not up on today's lingo, but I've seen this enough and I'm still scratching my head. What do you mean when you refer to someone as your DH or OH?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    My parents are in their mid 70s and I typically go over twice a week to have dinner with them. Should I stop going? I can't tell if I'm being cavalier to go over or being overly anxious to not visit them the whole time this is going on. I know they'll say to come over, that's just how they are!

Thank you all for your helpful responses!
    I texted my mom that I feel like I should skip dinners for the time being. Now I feel guilty like I'm abandoning them, but that's definitely better than worrying I'll give them pneumonia lol.

I needed to take a break from the news today. I'll look at the numbers again tomorrow.

Crappy decision to make. I'll be calling more frequently until we have a better idea of what's going on.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 602 Member
    edited March 2020
    okay, I'm obviously not up on today's lingo, but I've seen this enough and I'm still scratching my head. What do you mean when you refer to someone as your DH or OH?

DH = "Dear Husband," and OH = "Other Half" (the latter is my best guess.)
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    I am not understanding all of those that're supposedly taken this seriously, yet plan to and/or already're doing outdoor activities. If we were to pass by each other upon a hiking trail, it's like passing by each other anywhere else needlessly. Actually it'd most likely be worse, due to our heavy breathing via exercise exertion. Than just casually walking via 1 room to another within a climate controlled environment, where our breathing intensity'd remain normal.