Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    MachkaIt's still difficult to get tested in the USA. Connecticut's population is 3.5 million. 6500 people have been tested. In that state, over 1000 of the 6500 tested are positive and over 20 people have died. I wish everyone who should be tested, like Allie, could get a test.
    Karen in Virginia

By comparison, Tasmania, with a population of 524,170, has conducted 1779 tests. Of those 1779 tests, 58 have been positive. 49 have come directly off a cruise ship or otherwise overseas. 8 are close family or friends of those who have come directly off a cruise ship or otherwise overseas. And 1 is a little bit of a mystery ... perhaps the first "local transmission" (they are a little hazy on the actual definition of "local transmission")

If my math is correct, 0.19% of Connecticut's population have been tested, whereas 0.34% of Tassie's population have been tested.

Meanwhile ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-27/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-criteria-eligibility/12097990

"We've all seen the videos of the testing kit for coronavirus where the really long swab is put down the back of a person's throat.

That method is still the best early-detection test.

Those are globally in short supply, and additionally, Australia is set to receive a shipment of 1.5 million "finger-prick" or "point-of-care" coronavirus testing kits "within days", according to the office of the Chief Medical Officer.

To put that figure in context, so far in Australia — which is said to have among the world's highest rate of testing per capita — over 180,000 people have been tested, at a rate of around 10,000 per day.

Health Minister Greg Hunt said the new kits would be particularly useful for health workers who were concerned they may have caught the virus.

Mr Hunt said the tests had only been recently approved for use by the health department, and that the finger-prick tests would be carried out by doctors and nurses in a general-practice setting.

The criteria for who can get tested was expanded on Wednesday, and it's possible the criteria will change further following the delivery of the new kits."

And the article goes on to explain who can get the new tests here in Australia.

M in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lisa The other day I kept away from all news sources until the 6 o'clock news, which I watched for 30 minutes and shut off. It was a better day. I have to keep up with daily updates on recommendations from the CDC, but I think I am overloaded on news, too. I will mull over your post today and think about how I want to proceed from here to have a better balance. There are so many things to do around here. I'm not going to change the course of things by overdosing on C-19 news, or fretting about the lack of understanding in the general population about the nature of glitter.

My friend from Nebraska sent me blue hens' eggs. My other friend from Nebraska sent me a Jazz Loon CD. Jazz with loon calls incorporated. :)

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Options
    I am listening to you all honest.. I will tell a little white lie to my children and tell them that my kidney dr told me to self isolate.. which means I have to stay on my own..except for the dogs..

Do you have a fever?
  • Machka9
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Lisa The other day I kept away from all news sources until the 6 o'clock news, which I watched for 30 minutes and shut off. It was a better day.
    Karen in Virginia

After a bit of time ...

I've figured out that there's usually a federal news update around 2 pm, which I listen to/watch online for 15 min or so.

And then by about 9 pm, the state updates have been published. So I read them.

I'll also do a quick check in the morning when I get up just to see if there have been any interesting developments overnight, but there haven't been lately.

So there's not really any point hovering over the news ... it's not going to change significantly in between those times.

Plus I've been too busy!!

This week, I've been more stressed about my workload and making the move home than a virus.

Life goes on. There's still work and university and exercise and life in general. :)

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    No fever.and no I am feeling fine..but I am getting nervous about Tal getting anything ,and Dan giving us anything.. even though he wears gloves he doesnt do laundry much and rewears his clothes over and over..
    He really needs to do laundry at the laundrymat ,but how to get it there..I have done it here awhile ago...
  • Machka9
    edited March 2020
    Options
    We'll Meet Again - Vera Lynn

https://youtu.be/cHcunREYzNY