Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    The event in Sturgis ended only 10 days ago. Not nearly enough time for all the people who got it there to show up positive. Lack of consideration for others, and selfishly, potentially, exposing others to something that could seriously affect anyone’s health, is appalling. Especially when it could have been avoided. The attitude that “it’s not so many” is resounding at colleges, universities, weddings, rallies and other get togethers throughout this country. If you can’t find a reason to do what’s right, think about the healthcare workers who deserve surcease from this. Compassion for others seems to be lacking over desire for a short time of fun. Much of it preventable through face coverings, social distancing, and basic hygiene. It’s not forever, just until they find a better treatment, or hopefully a vaccine. One preventable case is one too many. Lives matter. ❤️

Very well said, thank you.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    The lack of a consistent, coordinated plan even within a city/county is frustrating. Each organization is trying to CYA, but in doing so may just push the problem on to others.

Case in point: local(ish) soccer tournament in a smaller city somewhat near me. Outside, spectators required to social distance, coaches/managers/players get temp checks and symptom check forms, no tents allowed, everyone to wear masks coming in and out of field, parents only allowed on field 5 min bf game time, players need to mask while sitting out (I’d say on the bench, but they took out all the benches, so instead of an easily cleanable metal one they make teams bring their own foldable fabric ones that aren’t easily sanitized). So, mostly making sense, trying to be as responsible as reasonably possible while putting on an event like this. Each group is pretty much keeping to itself, minus the players actually on the field.

What is not making sense is that we cannot stay at the (enormous) field complex bt games, even socially distanced and w our own household to rest/eat lunch. So instead of us staying to ourselves outside, all of those people will go where? To restaurants or to walk around shops to kill four or five hours indoors bc it’s hot as blazes and we aren’t allowed to park ourselves under a tent in the complex. So the tournament will likely report no infections, but the local McDonalds or Chili’s will have a sudden outbreak.

As a former soccer parent (I miss those days!), I can't imagine. The only thing you could do is eat at the food trucks that show up and sit in your car, maybe go to a mall inside masked. Yeah, the restaurant part is the scariest thing to me. Soccer kids and parents, jam packed at tables. I guess I would just bow out of that, despite the violent protests of my kids. I'd pick up carry out and eat in the car or SUV. Very hard for all parents with kids in sports right now. And for the kids too. I feel for you.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    The lack of a consistent, coordinated plan even within a city/county is frustrating. Each organization is trying to CYA, but in doing so may just push the problem on to others.

Case in point: local(ish) soccer tournament in a smaller city somewhat near me. Outside, spectators required to social distance, coaches/managers/players get temp checks and symptom check forms, no tents allowed, everyone to wear masks coming in and out of field, parents only allowed on field 5 min bf game time, players need to mask while sitting out (I’d say on the bench, but they took out all the benches, so instead of an easily cleanable metal one they make teams bring their own foldable fabric ones that aren’t easily sanitized). So, mostly making sense, trying to be as responsible as reasonably possible while putting on an event like this. Each group is pretty much keeping to itself, minus the players actually on the field.

What is not making sense is that we cannot stay at the (enormous) field complex bt games, even socially distanced and w our own household to rest/eat lunch. So instead of us staying to ourselves outside, all of those people will go where? To restaurants or to walk around shops to kill four or five hours indoors bc it’s hot as blazes and we aren’t allowed to park ourselves under a tent in the complex. So the tournament will likely report no infections, but the local McDonalds or Chili’s will have a sudden outbreak.

As a former soccer parent (I miss those days!), I can't imagine. The only thing you could do is eat at the food trucks that show up and sit in your car, maybe go to a mall inside masked. Yeah, the restaurant part is the scariest thing to me. Soccer kids and parents, jam packed at tables. I guess I would just bow out of that, despite the violent protests of my kids. I'd pick up carry out and eat in the car or SUV. Very hard for all parents with kids in sports right now. And for the kids too. I feel for you.

I think we’re going to bring our tent and find a public park to eat in and bring some card games or a DVD player so we can relax between games. It’s going to be brutally hot, but oh well. I’ll have four sweaty boys and stinky soccer and cross country stuff in the car, so no way am I going to hang in there for hours! The stink alone might do me in.

I’m just thrilled mine only play outdoor sports—soccer, cross country, and baseball. A friend’s daughter plays volleyball and they have to wear masks while playing. She said it is so uncomfortable and gross bc the masks get sweaty and stuck to their faces and it’s hard to breathe through a wet mask.

Somewhere (that seemed like a good source at the time, but absolutely can't remember where) I read that wet masks are not as effective. Like, really, really not as effective.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    My community's been conducting wastewater testing since the 1st of May. We're on the cutting edge due to millions of tourists that pass through, increasing by a million every single year. Problem now, none of them are leaving. They're buying every parcel and acre they can get their hands on. Enormous homes going up everywhere you look. Big money folks are buying it all and moving from the coastal regions in droves.

Everyone wants what we have but they'll turn into what they've came from. It's hard for the locals to think about.
    My parents see that in Idaho as well - people from big city CA coming in droves for the small town life. They are buying up everything available, for cash. Makes it hard for anyone else to get a foot in the door.

I can empathize. I'm from what was once a small rural community in California. It was beautiful. When I was a kid, gazillions of people from back East and the midwest started pouring in and whole regions were developed and built out. Trashed out and over-run, IMO. Now, a lot of those transplants and the kids of those transplants are moving on to "fresher" pastures. It's not "Californians" specifically wrecking the place. It's Americans in general - just people from all over the place moving in hoards to develop new places. California just happened to be the stop before yours...

Sounds like the East to West migration in reverse.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just read an article from Bloomberg Business week about some businesses instructing employees not to discuss cases of other employees who have Covid-19. This practice is being justified by employers because of hipaa regulations. I would think that employers would want other employees to be aware of coworkers that have the disease, so they can do everything humanly possible to prevent contracting Covid, and the spread in, and outside, the workplace. Instead, some employers are threatening “disciplinary actions”. The article sites the right for others to know about cases of infected coworkers as safety violations in the workplace and not covered by hipaa regulations. Some employers are telling employees with COVID-19, not to inform coworkers. This has been the trend across the country among employers. There have been thousands of complaints to OSHA regarding this. This concerns me and is a dangerous, for people in the workplace, as well as the general public.

The rights of others seem to be overlooked more and more in this pandemic.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Saw this while working this morning. Looks interesting. They are looking at it coupled with Remdesivir as an antiviral therapeutic.

https://www.folio.ca/antiviral-used-to-treat-cat-coronavirus-also-works-against-sars-cov-2-u-of-a-researchers/