The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Well done, @JenT304. In the Sober School course I just finished on August 16, Kate Bee does not ask participants to commit to not drinking long term but does ask them to quit for the 6 weeks of the course in order to experience sobriety for a significant period of time. The last week of the course, she asked about our future goals or plans. Mine personally is to reach Day 100, which will be Oct. 13. She said that of course we were welcome to decide the 6 weeks was over and we were going back to drinking. She only asked that we realize we would be doing just that--going back to where we were before the course. Not to some ideal world of moderation. She said that in the years she's been doing the course, she has never once met anyone who said they did it and then went on to a happy, healthy moderation lifestyle, and those she knows who are also in the sobriety "business" have said the same. Now, obviously these are people who have shelled out big bucks for her course, so in other words people who realized their drinking was a problem. It's this group that she says cannot expect to moderate successfully.

I hate that truth, but I believe it is in fact truth. I've done enough 30 and 45 days AF and then thought I could moderate to know that it definitely does not work for me. It's interesting that she claims not one person in her experience has gone from problem drinker to happily moderating drinker. It always becomes a problem again. I wish it were not so, but I believe it is. I do not identify myself as an "alcoholic." However, I know that I can't moderate. And even trying to do it--attempting to limit myself to x number of drinks on x days or whatever--takes up way too much mental real estate and seems to do nothing but repeat the hard part of sobriety (the beginning days) on an endless loop. No thank you.

INTERESTING Post...I firmly believe that there is no moderation for moi EVER...and I don't identify as an alcoholic either, BUT I do know I have a problem moderating alcohol and I have an addictive personality and that is all the identification I need to stay with my AF lifestyle.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    I drank 5 NA beers last night. When I was drinking, I would never drink beer unless it was the last thing available. So I thought, was I looking for the buzz? I am not sure. Anyway I won't do that again. I don't want it to lead me to a real one. Plus even though they are only 70 calories apiece that's still 350 empty calories. I don't need that. I DID try the cherry juice and it is delicious but almost as many calories per glass as wine unless I cut it with seltzer, which I will start doing. I'm going to an antique store today to look for a pretty glass that is just for me and my NA fancy drinks.

Almost afraid to ask what kind? Used to love my beer.