WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did a body pump video. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Peak Fit Challenge DVD.

Barbara
    – the bowling league voted not to have a set of lanes between each sets of teams. You could have, but they left it up to the team if they wanted lanes between them or not. There were about 16 teams (down from around 20-22) with 3 people on the team. Only two people wore masks the entire time.

Mary – welcome! I’m sure someone will give you directions on how to bookmark this site so I won’t repeat it. You CAN do this. It’ll take time, but we’ll be here for ya

I just read some very very disturbing news in the paper. THEY AREN’T GOING TO HAVE THE PEEPS THIS YEAR (at least not for Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine’s Day). Let me tell you, there are certain things cv-related that I can live with, but isn’t this considered sacrilegious?????

Wonder where Amber has been? Hope everything is OK with her and her daughter

M – we got one of our (now deceased) cats from the SPCA. They told us it was a girl. Well, we took “her” to the vet and the vet called us to say that “she” has an identity crisis and is really a “he”. So much for that.

Faye – I hate it when something you like is no longer available because of the “new fashion”. Like I can’t wait for the skinny jeans to go out of style. I can’t wear them. Try to find petite jeans in different colors (not bluejeans) that are NOT skinny jeans. Vince likes these jean cargo pants, he was finally able to find a few on ebay. But not in stores! Cargo pants in camo – yes. In bluejeans – no.

I don’t care for anything around my neck. No turtlenecks etc.

Annie DE
    – sounds like a heavenly day you and Steve had

As far as dinners: I usually make something different each time. Like I love shrimp but I won’t make anything shrimp when Ken & Lynette are here because I know that she’s allergic to shrimp. I try to make things people like, like I know Steve isn’t big at all on chocolate but loves his steak. Now I’m a big vegetable eater but he’s not. Colby will eat spicy food so I usually make that for him. I’ll eat it but I know Vince and Jess won’t. So depending on the person/circumstances I usually will make something different each time.

Not a coffee drinker here. Now give me tea and watch it disappear. It’s been YEARS since I’ve had a coffee. I had some a few years ago at a Marriott hotel so you know it was a decent brand. I thought it was so bitter that I couldn’t drink it. Probably was because it had been a few years before then that I’d had any coffee.

Cut the grass and mentioned to Vince that on the horizon is removal of the large bushes in front of the house. I don’t know why, but he’s so very adamant about not having them removed. I asked him why and he said "well, for one thing the cost” so I just told him that I’d get the money (what I earn at Food Lion – which isn’t a whole, whole lot - goes into what is my “landscaping fund”) but I don’t want the large bushes. He keeps saying that we’ll trim them. Yes, we will, but last year we just couldn’t the weather was so weird. In the meantime, we can just trim the bushes. But I want the bushes replaced and I’ll have someone do it.

Meg – thanks for popping in and giving us an update. Sounds like things are going well by you

Debbie
    – where do you get your filters for the coffee maker (the big one you got for the craft festival)?

Pip
    – wonderful new car! What kind is it – a Mazda?

Michele NC
    Who is ½ way done with Ken’s Christmas present
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,947 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did a body pump video. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Peak Fit Challenge DVD.

Barbara
    – the bowling league voted not to have a set of lanes between each sets of teams. You could have, but they left it up to the team if they wanted lanes between them or not. There were about 16 teams (down from around 20-22) with 3 people on the team. Only two people wore masks the entire time.

Mary – welcome! I’m sure someone will give you directions on how to bookmark this site so I won’t repeat it. You CAN do this. It’ll take time, but we’ll be here for ya

I just read some very very disturbing news in the paper. THEY AREN’T GOING TO HAVE THE PEEPS THIS YEAR (at least not for Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine’s Day). Let me tell you, there are certain things cv-related that I can live with, but isn’t this considered sacrilegious?????

Wonder where Amber has been? Hope everything is OK with her and her daughter

M – we got one of our (now deceased) cats from the SPCA. They told us it was a girl. Well, we took “her” to the vet and the vet called us to say that “she” has an identity crisis and is really a “he”. So much for that.

Faye – I hate it when something you like is no longer available because of the “new fashion”. Like I can’t wait for the skinny jeans to go out of style. I can’t wear them. Try to find petite jeans in different colors (not bluejeans) that are NOT skinny jeans. Vince likes these jean cargo pants, he was finally able to find a few on ebay. But not in stores! Cargo pants in camo – yes. In bluejeans – no.

I don’t care for anything around my neck. No turtlenecks etc.

Annie DE
    – sounds like a heavenly day you and Steve had

As far as dinners: I usually make something different each time. Like I love shrimp but I won’t make anything shrimp when Ken & Lynette are here because I know that she’s allergic to shrimp. I try to make things people like, like I know Steve isn’t big at all on chocolate but loves his steak. Now I’m a big vegetable eater but he’s not. Colby will eat spicy food so I usually make that for him. I’ll eat it but I know Vince and Jess won’t. So depending on the person/circumstances I usually will make something different each time.

Not a coffee drinker here. Now give me tea and watch it disappear. It’s been YEARS since I’ve had a coffee. I had some a few years ago at a Marriott hotel so you know it was a decent brand. I thought it was so bitter that I couldn’t drink it. Probably was because it had been a few years before then that I’d had any coffee.

Cut the grass and mentioned to Vince that on the horizon is removal of the large bushes in front of the house. I don’t know why, but he’s so very adamant about not having them removed. I asked him why and he said "well, for one thing the cost” so I just told him that I’d get the money (what I earn at Food Lion – which isn’t a whole, whole lot - goes into what is my “landscaping fund”) but I don’t want the large bushes. He keeps saying that we’ll trim them. Yes, we will, but last year we just couldn’t the weather was so weird. In the meantime, we can just trim the bushes. But I want the bushes replaced and I’ll have someone do it.

Meg – thanks for popping in and giving us an update. Sounds like things are going well by you

Debbie
    – where do you get your filters for the coffee maker (the big one you got for the craft festival)?

Pip
    – wonderful new car! What kind is it – a Mazda?

Michele NC

I dont use a filter- the place you put the coffee has tiny little wholes so no filters needed.

I am not a big coffee drinker- prefer my tea(I have at least 30 boxes on hand right now) but there are some mornings tea is just not enough. I do have to have a little sweetener and a lot of cream in my coffee.

Debbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Machka-in my corner of the world I don’t think we have cafes in the European/International sense (although bigger cities may). About all we have are Starbucks, a couple of smaller coffee shops-nothing that sounds like what Julie gets to experience. Lots of sports bars though! What would be my speciality to make for dinner? My son’s would say fried chicken (or pork chops) with mashed potatoes and pan gravy. However, don’t cook that way much anymore. Possible would make hummus crusted chicken with zucchini baked in oven. Desert? Hmmmm-probably just mix up some ghirardelli sea-salt caramel brownies, or a yogurt-cool whip pie with fresh fruit.

Tracey-My mac seems to not like to do that Or maybe just yahoo mail?) Boss calling you sweetie and sugar? Not acceptable in US

Faye-I actually don’t mind a pocket in my pj bottoms. I’ve been known to keep them on for awhile and since I carry my cell phone with me when I go to basement to do laundry, etc., I like a pocket to put phone in (in case I fall!)

Barbie-I have some people I no longer notify of Thanksgiving dinner!

Heather-glad you got fridge sorted out.

Lisa-I understand what you mean-I am much better at pointing out things to other than I am about noticing about myself (or encouraging them to take action)

RV Rita-I like your grandson’s grin!

Husbands and marriage-I came to learn that my husband may not say or do the things I was wanting him to, but he had his own way of expressing his caring-I just learned to listen differently.

Not a bad day at work. Went for a very pleasant walk afterwards. SIL discovered her dog was dead. I guess vultures had started their part of the circle of life. Very sad, but at least she knows instead of wondering. And to top everything off, this week she went for mammogram, had to go back for second pictures and ultrasound today and they have scheduled her for biopsy next week.

Decided I wanted a pair of more waterproof shoes for walking-broke down and ordered a pair of merrells. Found a black pair on sale on Amazon for $90, but I think I may save money (and my feet) buying better instead of spending less and pitching the cheaper ones quickly. Hope the size is right!

Good to hear smoke is clearing and air quality is improving out west. Now to get the hurricane out of the way. What a year! (and we have 3 1/2 more months!)

Off to read and get some sleep.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

Honda CRV
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Allie - I am happy now about 90% of the time. I’m a little put out right now because it was just my birthday and he didn’t go out and get me something. He did tell me to take his bank card and buy myself something. I just wish he would put himself out a bit to do it.

Michele - I hope that you were one of the ones wearing a mask. It’s no wonder that Covid is so hard to contain when so many refuse to do the basics that are needed to help with it.
    I do agree with you on fashion, I haven’t found a pair of shoes or a purse I truly love for years!

Ginny - those terms aren’t allowed here either. I found it quite condescending, my boss is a she though and I have added it to my list. Today she told me that the only people I should trust is her two favourite people that I know for a fact already tells her anything that you say to them. I’m just biding time. The unions are speaking up against her now.

I don’t know about Mac or Yahoo, I use a PC and Outlook and that works for me. Sorry it didn’t help.

I agree with you about husbands. My husband tells me without fail every single day that he loves me, he kisses me good night always even when we are disagreeing. There is a lot I love about him, it’s just these few little things and I have to learn to not let it bug me and be grateful for what I do have.

Pip - I would choose a Honda or a Toyota if I was buying a new car.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    THEY AREN’T GOING TO HAVE THE PEEPS THIS YEAR

What are peeps?

Like I can’t wait for the skinny jeans to go out of style. I can’t wear them. Try to find petite jeans in different colors (not bluejeans) that are NOT skinny jeans.

Michele NC

I LOVE skinny jeans!! Long ones ... in the last year, they've started cropping them so they end at the ankle. I like them right down to the floor.

My legs are one of my favourite features so I like clothing that shows them off a bit. :)

ginnytez wrote: »
    Machka-in my corner of the world I don’t think we have cafes in the European/International sense (although bigger cities may). About all we have are Starbucks, a couple of smaller coffee shops-nothing that sounds like what Julie gets to experience. Lots of sports bars though! What would be my speciality to make for dinner? My son’s would say fried chicken (or pork chops) with mashed potatoes and pan gravy. However, don’t cook that way much anymore. Possible would make hummus crusted chicken with zucchini baked in oven. Desert? Hmmmm-probably just mix up some ghirardelli sea-salt caramel brownies, or a yogurt-cool whip pie with fresh fruit.

Ginny in Ohio

In Australia, we've got lots of the cafes like what Julie talks about ... and not very many fast food places like what the US has.

For the project in my current uni course, I had to count up the number of cafes and restaurants in the greater Hobart CBD area, and I stopped at 150. Many of those are restaurants by night but cafes by day. When I go out walking around town at lunch, there are heaps with tables and chairs set up on the sidewalks, or they might have walls that go up so that they are partially open-air. Most have newspapers. Some have books. Although maybe less so now with C-19.

I've been trying to remember what the places I've been in Canada have. There's Tim Hortons, of course, which I miss. But it seems to me there were a few cafes in "little Italy" and similar parts of the city.

Your food selection sounds good! :)

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Pppp
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Your new car is a nice color. I hope you enjoy it. :star:

Machka: We had a number of nice restaurants before Covid 19 came to town. Several of them are open again but we haven’t chosen to go out to eat. We did go to Subway for our favorite sandwiches once. YUM! We haven’t gone back, mostly because we’re out of the habit. :ohwell:

School is back in session. The parking lot was full of teacher cars. It appears that there are in-school options and home school options. I didn’t research the details.

AQI (air quality index) is 264 right now & I have a bit of a headache. It isn’t as smoky as it was earlier, but it is still not pleasant out side.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Pip - That is the exact same car as we have! I love the colour. :) Ours is too big for our tiny little urban streets, but we are too old to change it. We bought it when we lived in the countryside where it flooded regularly. He only uses it to go to cricket. I haven't been in it since Dec 31st. It sits outside our house, months in, months out. :o

My DH doesn't do Mother's Day either. Why should he? :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    Morning all. Just taking a few minutes before decontamination of groceries.

We had a wonderful walk in the coastal path after dinner last night with DYD, her partner, and dogs. Beautiful calm evening and very balmy. Temperature this morning is 22*C.

Lanette: 👍🏻 For the rain. Your housecleaner must be quite a gem. Cherish her! 😂
    Machka: That’s how I plan my life. I have a life planning notebook which I review regularly. I use SMART goal system. I have also used DRIVE
    D - Define
    R - Review
    I - Identify
    V - Verify
    E - Execute
    Pip: Enjoy your new car.

Must dash.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Options
    Looking for ways to celebrate?

50 Shades of YAY: Ways To Celebrate Success
    https://ittybiz.com/ways-to-celebrate-success/

As one who is looking for ways to celebrate in the coming months, I found that list interesting. :)

It doesn't entirely do it for me, but it has given me a few ideas.

What are some interesting ways you have celebrated things?

Have you seen some good lists of ways to celebrate?

I wouldn't mind finding a Celebration-A-Day calendar like some of the Action for Happiness calendars ... a celebratory idea for each day of a month!

Machka in Oz
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies!!Well,I’m behind here again.🤦‍♀️My home is still in such disarray due to putting the flooring down.So my thinking Was,I’ll try to get some things gone through while they go to work and possibly have some stuff put back where it belongs.No.Our office that was a bedroom,became a bedroom,then office,bedroom,office,no,,bedroom.Youngest daughter moved back twice and is currently not living here but Now needs our grandson to stay here because she’s a teacher and has home visits with her students and gs has virtual school right now can’t go with her due to confidentiality.Just when I thought things would be back to our normal,it’s not.I really feel like I’m being selfish wanting our home to Finally be the way we hoped it would be.Please,don’t get me wrong.I love ❤️ having him here,but make up your mind! I guess if we know he’s going to live here then we can make that happen but he’s here then he’s not...I want to scream at her and tell her he needs and craves Stability!Am I wrong??Please feel free to let me know.
    Debby in Va
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Pip - so glad Bette has found new home and congrats on the new rig. That new little camper looks perfect - good job!

Faye - Accuweather! Thank you, I had forgotten. I'd contemplated signing up for the paid version several times but could get Wunderground free which was adequate, tho I see the comprehensive Accuweather report is free as well. The weather service for Seattle is finally admitting they're not sure when this air quality will get better and stay better. I could have told them that when I checked out Machka's Windy website a few days ago. Maybe I'll send them that link :p

SuziQ - you do know it's OK for Florida to send some of that tropical storm stuff to the west coast. Might as well add a little wind and flooding to the excitement. :#

Some virus chat:
    Numbers in our county continue to rise, it's mostly folks under 70 with a high percentage in their 20's and 30's. Health Department won't divulge much but I've heard anecdotally from folks who have had it or whose family members have had it that symptoms are generally quite mild. Very small fraction are hospitalized.

Nurse walking partner neighbor says it's good, contributing to the herd immunity, and she doesn't fret about masks worn or not worn in grocery stores, hiking trails, etc. where there's casual/minimal contact. But of course she wears a surgical mask when she's at work in the hospital where she still is employed as a consultant and goes on the premises at times, even though she's admin now and not in areas where infected folks are.

I read an interesting article in the New England Journal of Medicine the other day about masks... it's theorized that while they won't protect us 100% from sharing the virus or getting the virus, folks exposed will get a "lighter dose" of the disease and will gain some immunity and more will be asymptomatic thru Variolation, at least that's the way I interpret it: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913?query=TOC

From the article: Variolation was a process whereby people who were susceptible to smallpox were inoculated with material taken from a vesicle of a person with smallpox, with the intent of causing a mild infection and subsequent immunity.

Anyhow, thought it was interesting nature appears to have a way of helping most of the population through this mess. So despite increased "test" numbers, that just might not be bad news after all. Time will tell.

And I'm saying to heck with the carbs, I'll keep eating an apple or two a day (including peels.) Sounds like they are potent immune system boosters. ;)

OK better close for now.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Michele Yes, the constantly changing jeans scene is not good. Once I found my favorite high waist relaxed fit mom jeans that weren't destroyed, I bought 8 pairs of them. 4 lightweight for summer and 4 heavyweights for winter. Skinny jeans in poly stretch just scream out infection of an undesirable kind to me.

Ginny I think most women do like the pockets as these "sleep" shorts are actually heavy enough to work as all-day shorts. I like a very lightweight short for sleep and change them after getting up.

Barbara Sure glad you specified top!!!

Katla It is the worse ever here this morning. Visibility is bad. I checked AQI and they had my area 180 or so. I opened my door to check it thinking the haze was mostly moisture and wow, I got an instant burn in my nose. So much for forecast and online weather. Our best local reading station is down, so I have no idea how bad it is rather than the breath test.
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Lisa in AR-I’m sorry you’re not feeling well!You Should take it easy.I hope you get your antibiotics and are on the mend soon!!🌻🌻
    Debby in Va
  • Machka9
    Options
    Morning all. Just taking a few minutes before decontamination of groceries.

We had a wonderful walk in the coastal path after dinner last night with DYD, her partner, and dogs. Beautiful calm evening and very balmy. Temperature this morning is 22*C.

Lanette: 👍🏻 For the rain. Your housecleaner must be quite a gem. Cherish her! 😂
    Machka: That’s how I plan my life. I have a life planning notebook which I review regularly. I use SMART goal system. I have also used DRIVE
    D - Define
    R - Review
    I - Identify
    V - Verify
    E - Execute

Pip: Enjoy your new car.

Must dash.

☘️ Terri

I like it!

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Beth - I think it was you who commented about a knee doing poorly a few days ago? I know I've mentioned this before, but it took me back several years to when I had a very painful left knee. Went to the ortho doc, I had an MRI and they couldn't find anything wrong with the joint.

That was the time I decided to start doing the Strong Women Stay Young (SWSY) routine with very light ankle weights and discovered my left leg was much weaker than my right. After a month or so of gradually increasing the weight, my left leg was up to par with my right and knee problem went away.

I really need to start it again as I've been having a few twinges. I got back in the groove a few weeks ago then the heat hit and now the smoke. My "weight room" is the potting shed where I have a neat set-up for the weights. Hopefully by the weekend it will be decent enough to resume.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Machka9
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    For the ladies experiencing struggles in the marriage, most people here have heard me say this. What's upsetting is that your expectations are being violated. One thing I've found helpful is noting to my husband what my expectations are. They don't read minds and don't think at all the same way we do, so you have to clue them into what you expect (not at the top of your lungs, do it when you're calm). You need to use specific, active words that make sense to the way they think, as well. Subtleties and talking around the subject won't help at all. Be direct.

If they still don't meet you where they need them to, it's time to give in to the fact that you're not going to change him, so if you want to stay in your relationship, you will have to change your expectations. My husband doesn't buy me a Mother's Day gift either, and I don't expect him to.
    :)

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I absolutely agree!

I've been through one marriage where I wasn't a priority in the relationship at all, except as someone who earned the money and did all the work. If I wanted something, he couldn't be bothered. If his parents wanted something, he'd drop everything and go.

I wasn't having that, so I started taking care of myself, got stronger, and when the relationship dissolved I was able to wave good-bye and move on.

My current husband and I were much more partners and even though I'm his carer now, he still tries to be a partner in the relationship. It is better than my first marriage.

As for ...

Mother's Day/Father's Day, we don't celebrate those.

Anniversary, Birthdays and Christmas, we do a small celebration. Mostly we'll travel somewhere if we can and go cycling. We might exchange cards, but rarely gifts. We're adults, we can buy what we want/need.

M in Oz