Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Re Australia question Some people have second homes. They had to stay in one state if the borders were locked.
    There were some exemption for essential travellers, but going to a holiday home was not one of them.

Same for us, here in Italy, you could not go to vacation homes. People would check and report you (everyone knows which homes are vacation). Police stopped cars on the road, and you had to have permission for where you were going--work, humanitarian (helping an elderly relative), etc. This was during Lockdown last spring. We are going into another Lockdown. The numbers keep climbing. My husband's cousins are all down with COVID. Luckily we haven't seen them for over 3 weeks.

Way back in Mar., I was advocating for this here in the U.S. Most disagreed, but it has gotten out of hand here. I still think we need a total and complete shutdown for 3-4 weeks where only essential employees (healthcare and designated support) are allowed to leave. Under my vision then (and now), nobody else leaves home. Food, supplies, and medicine delivery would be done by people in full PPE and contactless (i.e. set order down at door and leave before person opens door). But nobody wanted to do that. They would rather have months or years of limited contact rather than weeks of zero contact.

To be honest though, isn't this pretty much what most of Europe did in in spring? An now it's coming back there hard.

I suspect if we had done this as well, it wouldn't be coming back in Europe. Where is it coming from? Is their second wave mostly or entirely organic? I would bet not.

Europe has pretty stringent travel restrictions since spring so most likely source is mainly organic

I was thinking the same thing. From what I've read, one cause in France and Germany seems to be in-person school, but they are committed to having in-person school (which I understand).

Maybe someone in Europe can weigh in on what they think the causes are.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Re Australia question Some people have second homes. They had to stay in one state if the borders were locked.
    There were some exemption for essential travellers, but going to a holiday home was not one of them.

Same for us, here in Italy, you could not go to vacation homes. People would check and report you (everyone knows which homes are vacation). Police stopped cars on the road, and you had to have permission for where you were going--work, humanitarian (helping an elderly relative), etc. This was during Lockdown last spring. We are going into another Lockdown. The numbers keep climbing. My husband's cousins are all down with COVID. Luckily we haven't seen them for over 3 weeks.

Way back in Mar., I was advocating for this here in the U.S. Most disagreed, but it has gotten out of hand here. I still think we need a total and complete shutdown for 3-4 weeks where only essential employees (healthcare and designated support) are allowed to leave. Under my vision then (and now), nobody else leaves home. Food, supplies, and medicine delivery would be done by people in full PPE and contactless (i.e. set order down at door and leave before person opens door). But nobody wanted to do that. They would rather have months or years of limited contact rather than weeks of zero contact.

Who is the "no one" that did not want to do your extremely high level plan here? Did you tell someone with the authority to consider it? Or did you just tell a bunch of random people on the internet?

What ifs and cocktail napkin plans are just idle speculation.

The "no one" I'm talking about are others on this thread. Go back to Mar. / Apr.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I hope you guys are all doing well and are safe. I haven't been here for a bit.. I was Covided Out....it was on TV and basically everywhere I looked. I needed a break for a bit...
    So, Australia here.. we are doing pretty OK for now, we had 3 new cases in nsw in the last 24 hours, 2 were travellers in quarantine already and one was linked to a known cluster in south-west Sydney. I say we are doing well atm but this thing is so unpredictable that a week from now it could be a whole different story.

Yesterday was great though Jo. Zero new cases right across Australia for the first time. Only the odd person in quarantine back from overseas. Nice if it'd stay that way.

Absolutely Sue.. fingers crossed 🤞
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member

Hope everyone stays safe this week. Have a feeling that this will be a very violent and scary week in the US. I plan on drinking quite a bit on Tuesday night. Hopefully, AZ will make pot legal on Tuesday -- we have a ballot initiative for up to six plants or one ounce on Tuesday's ballot. I could use some pot brownies on Tuesday.

Oh, big news too -- the wife's doc appointment went better than expected. The doc seemed pleased with her progress already on her blood work. He wants her to lose a little weight, but overall, was really impressed with how proactive we are related to exercise and diet. Her potassium was just under the "normal" reading but most of the rest of the numbers, including blood sugar, were now decent. So huge relief but we're continuing with eliminating most of our added sugars.

Unfortunately agree with the possible violence.

Did have a question. If legal pot is on the ballot Tuesday where are you going to get the pot brownies on Tuesday :)? In IL it took a while for the dispensaries to get up and running.

Good luck to your wife.

Because no one has ever found a way to get a pot brownie in a state where pot wasn't legal.

It was a tongue in cheek comment. Put the smiling face at the end of the sentence to make sure people understand that.

Guess it didn't work.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2020
    ElioraFR wrote: »

To be honest though, isn't this pretty much what most of Europe did in in spring? An now it's coming back there hard.

I suspect if we had done this as well, it wouldn't be coming back in Europe. Where is it coming from? Is their second wave mostly or entirely organic? I would bet not.

Europe has pretty stringent travel restrictions since spring so most likely source is mainly organic

I struggle to imagine which European country you are speaking of. Travel restrictions have only been re announced in France last week. Wales closed boarders three weeks ago and I believe it was the first to do so this fall after all other countries opened last spring to tourism.

I believe the suggestion was that it was brought from the US, and my understanding is that most of Europe has closed borders with the US. I am aware that European countries have been open to each other and blaming each other -- I saw a funny English vs Spanish Twitter battle a month or so ago, with references to both the Armada and the history of public English tourist drunkenness in Spain.