WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Heather: Hooray! The test results for your son & family are negative. YAYYYY!

I bought vitamins at Walmart this morning. I have a bit of sticker shock. The good news is that we will use them. :star:

Katla in Sunny NW Oregon

Vitamins aren't cheap huh! We get ours at Rite Aid, and do the buy one get one free thing. We go thru Calcium carbonate fast because Lee takes it 3 times a day. We both are on the same multi-vitamin so that's nice, and also the Calcium with a D3 thing. He also take Vitamin E, magnesium, baby asprin, and the rest are prescriptions. Did I state I AM PILL QUEEN... hahaha.
    Rebecca

Ha! I read "Calcium carbonate fast" as a new kind of diet fast. Maybe I need a nap!! :smile:

I appreciate you, Rebecca!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

Ok I am picturing myself as a lava science fair project run amuck!
    Husband: Dear, you look like a rabid dog!
    Me: oh its just my calcium carbonate fast working......
    Husband: Ok I'm not taking you anywhere...... LOL!

Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    As we're getting closer to the end of 2020, I'll ask this question ...

What are some of your highlights of 2020?
    Good things. Happy things. Accomplishments.

Some of my highlights include:
    - finishing my degree
    - working from home for 4 months
    - Rhody
    - having my deviated septum surgery
    - distancing and the focus on cleanliness and hygiene
    - quiet holidays
    - fewer hassles and less stress for my husband
    - discovering ABC Classic FM
    - organised several successful cycling events

M in Oz

Several of you have mentioned how well you and your partners have gotten along during this time, and that's another good thing for us too.

As we were going into working from home, and staying home, for 4 months I wondered how it would go. In a way, going to work was a break for me. But those 4 months were wonderful! My husband and I got along really well, and I was able to see how things were going for him on a 24-hour basis.

Those 4 months were probably my best 4 months in years! In addition to what I've written above, I was able to get 8 hours of sleep a night, get out and exercise (especially cycling) in the middle of the day, clean the house more and work at my own pace. I got up to running 5 km several times. Lost weight and felt so much better. When I returned to work, I regained what I had lost so I ended up the same at the beginning and end of the year.

I am actually hoping for another 4 month shutdown this coming winter. :) But it probably won't happen.

Machka in Oz
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Highlights and Accomplishments from 2020
    ⁃ I think one of the biggest highlights for me is how well Rodger and I have gotten through this year being more on top of one another than we are used to. I have found myself very stressed throughout different stages of the year and he’s been my rock throughout.

⁃ I’m incredibly proud of how my eldest daughter has handled this year. She has always struggled and doubted her parenting skills. She has shone through this.

⁃ My youngest daughter and her husband have a new house and a new puppy.

⁃ My Mom has stayed safe.
    ⁃ Even though we couldn’t see each other as often as we normally would I think the visits we did have were even more cherished and meaningful.

Susie - the song at my Dad’s funeral sort of described how happy our loved ones are waiting for us to join them. One of the lines is “I’ll be sitting drawing pictures in the sand”.

Kelly - what a wonderful face to get a call from.

Heather - so happy your son’s family is negative. If they paid extra for 24 hour results they should receive something back. We don’t pay for them here and there is no way of getting results faster than someone else unless you are in hospital or work in healthcare and are showing symptoms. Even our prevalence screening each week is not rushed. We get our results 2-4 days after the test.

Rebecca - I teared up reading about your post of hearing from your Mom. We moved away and it became our responsibility to be the one to keep in contact except for my Dad. He called me weekly. For many, many years on Saturday nights because the phone company had a 2.00 talk as long as you want deal those nights. Once I had unlimited long distance he would call me even more, he would let the phone ring twice so the number displayed and then I would call him back. I miss our chats, and other than my best friend no one calls now. I do all of the checking in, so I know how you feel about the family. My heart hurts for you about your son not calling though. You are handling it much better than I would I think.

Katla - is the book series Virgin River what the Netflix Series is based on?

Terri - you have worked so hard at keeping your weight off and it’s worked. Congratulations.

I went and borrowed my eldest daughter’s sewing machine and took a lot of her scraps today. I have to make 6 mattresses, 6 pillows and 6 blankets for a birthday present for Michaela. Rodger is making her two bunk bed sets, each three beds high, for her babies. She has 6 and doesn’t think they should share a bed. She has been using the stairs but with her mother having fall issues this is not safe.

I bought flannel and quilt batting today and will try to get them completed by Saturday. It may end up being my New Year’s Day project.

I am doing some laundry now and should have started it much earlier in the day. It may not all get done tonight. I have enough clothes for 3 days of work so I’m fine if it doesn’t get finished.

Tracey in Edmonton

Awe Tracy, your phone chats with your Dad made a nice imprint on your memory. I know after my Mom passed I would stare at the phone, thinking I need to call someone, but the person I wanted to call, would never answer. I did call my mother in law, and she helped me so much, letting me vent etc. I knew her before I met her son, my husband. So I truly think of her as Mom now. She is 84 years old now, and tough as nails. <3
    Rebecca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    :#
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Some long promised photos! First, some masks that I made, same pattern, just some "regular" ones and some Christmas ones.
    Evelyn, who is desperately trying to clamber back onto the wagon, Vancouver Island

I like the Christmas masks! :) They'll be good for next year too.

M in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP, called/visited/called again credit union re firehall visa, called eye dr. billing re statement, called Thrivent re corrected Medicare EOB,
    Bonus: one load laundry, hike new trail (Lola Lake) with T.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call R, corrected roster to Cal-Or and Dave, minutes and letter to Howard, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 19, submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???,
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments, ask faucet question, if answer ok order. Tuesday: pickup library book.
    Do Good December
    28: be kind to the planet, eat less meat, use less energy: oops, ate last of leftover beef and drove 15 miles to trailhead. [sigh]

First real hike in a long time left me too pooped to do more than pray for Debby in VA and her daughters and email Janetr’s “planning” meme to a friend.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    December: better than November.
    daily: sit with Joe: 27, weigh: 28, steps>5505=6808 vits=28 log=28 CI<CO=27 CI<250<CO=20 Tumble & Shadow 5=24 mfp=28 outside=19 up hill=19
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx=4 dance= clean 30 mins=6.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0 bonus: AF=18 play=0 sew=0

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,065 Member
    Options
    After three days of dark days and heavy rain looks like Storm Bella has finally blown itself out. Looking forward to getting out for a walk later this morning.

Ginny: Good news about the pension. That should ease finances a little for you.

Allie: (((Hugs))) Thankful that you are back in the peace of your own.

Just heard last night that a close teaching colleague passed away. No details yet. She was much younger than me and just recently retired.

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I am usually the one who initiates phone calls with our daughter and her family. I enjoy talking with them, and don’t mind paying for long distance calls. We have been taking advantage of the magic of zoom calls whenever possible. :smiley:

If you go back to regular calling there are many free apps that allow free calling now: WhatsApp is the most common but there are also googlemeet and others.

good things that happened in 2020:
    -we have been able to save away some money. Always a good feeling, especially now with COVID
    Rebecca
    Washington

I have read that many people who have maintained regular income have saved since the beginning of Covid: no/less eating out, no/little travelling, less/no non-essential shopping...
    Julie-the 3 inches in height difference does impact things some (for some reason I was thinking you are taller than me!). Some of the ladies on here pointed out that BMI as we age is viewed differently. Yes, my BMI is @23 most days. My doctor prefers it doesn’t drop much more-I guess as we age we need a bit of body fat. However, how you feel is important and I know just 5 pounds can change that. Just don’t want you to beat yourself up! As the pandemic winds down and life returns to something like normal and you are walking as you did before I am sure you will get back to where you are more comfortable. Congrats on tracking three days in a row-I really think that helps.

SuziQ-don’t know if is that I am handy or spent so many years married to a cheap man! Plus, we always thought when money was tight, we would fix what we could. (since we saved money then, I don’t mind paying for getting some things done now!)

Allie-your progress sounds good, and a bit speedy given what you have been through (even though I am sure to you it is slow as molasses).

Good for the year/accomplishments
    -Interior doors replaced (haven’t painted them yet)
    -DIL seems to have recovered from Covid with no long term side effects
    -While several staff have had Covid and two have been hospitalized, no one has passed from it (220 staff)
    -Maintained my weight
    -Got some stuff cleaned out (more to go)
    -Maintained contact with ladies group at church which provides good support
    -Kept up with this group for the most part!
    -Have not gone into complete isolation even though I live alone
    -Contacted social security today (realized last month I did hit full retirement age of 66) and I can, indeed, draw my husbands social security while I am working with no income restrictions. Official on-line application is in February, but it will retro back to November.

As long as we are here, have a tremendous gift.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

Thanks Ginny. I know BMI of 25 is not so bad for an American woman in late 50s. In France people are a bit slimmer on average so that comes into play. The average BMI in France is about 23 according to some stats.(28 in the usa). I am not beating self up about that so much, but am not happy about the results. I'm more unhappy about not getting things done.

I can be fairly handy too when active. It does help save money, and I can enjoy handiwork.

Some of you have mentioned things you're grateful for in 2020 in addition to highlights.
    I can add: maintaining job and salary.
    Having warm, safe home, bed, food.
    No-one very close to me has been seriously hurt by the disease itself.

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🤎🤍💚💜💙🖤❤️