Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on the “glamourizing/normalizing” obesity vs body positivity conversations

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    There's a ton of information on weight loss out there and a lot of it is conflicting.

There's a ton of conflicting information on the effectiveness of masks and social distancing, too, yet that's not considered to be an excuse for not wearing a mask or social distancing. People are supposed to "listen to the experts." So there's no reason why people can't listen to the experts when it comes to weight loss, too. Especially as the government and public health experts have way more consistent messaging on how to lose weight than they do on how to slow the spread of COVID.
    I think someone can be overweight AND think it's an issue of importance and still not be sure how to proceed. Or maybe they know how to do it, but implementing consistently is an issue. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see this as an us/them issue and I don't think it's a consequence of fat being glamorized.

Daily here, we encounter people who know what to do and aren't quite sure how to do it (given the circumstances of their lives or particular emotional issues). There are also people who know what they want to do, but have inaccurate ideas of how it needs to be done that are either setting them back or causing them to spend energy on controlling irrelevant factors. We're in a society that makes it incredibly easy to consume more energy than our body needs. I can understand how some don't have grace to expend or don't want to expend grace, but I've been there and I think it's more complex than you're making it out to be.

If someone is on MyFitnessPal they're making an effort to lose weight and researching how to do it, so, they're not who I'm talking about. Those are people who are being proactive about their health and trying to be better. I'm talking about the people who aren't making any effort to lose weight, and/or even get offended at the thought that their obesity is a health problem, yet expect everyone else to sacrifice in order to protect their health.
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The corollation of obesity and a history of abuse, and of obesity with poverty, is stunning when you dig into it.

The pre-existing conditions I have were also caused by childhood abuse. Yet apparently I have no right to expect anyone to accommodate my health needs, and should just "get over" having these health problems at all.
    The number of people in the US who don't have access to a primary care doctor, internet access, or a decent k-12 education as a result of poverty (either urban or rural) is also stunning.

I listened to a podcast comparing access to broadband internet in the US to other industrialized nations and it blew my mind!

You're seriously suggesting that the majority of cases of obesity in America are among people who have no internet access or education? Because that's not what I see. Plenty of educated and middle-class or richer people are obese. Here are some statistics from the CDC on the matter.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db50.htm

"Among men, obesity prevalence is generally similar at all income levels, however, among non-Hispanic black and Mexican-American men those with higher income are more likely to be obese than those with low income.

Higher income women are less likely to be obese than low income women, but most obese women are not low income.

Between 1988–1994 and 2007–2008 the prevalence of obesity increased in adults at all income and education levels."

I don't feel like I'm sacrificing because of obese people. I actually don't even understand how one would think that. I'm sacrificing for everyone, and especially for the elderly.

Obesity may lead to more severe outcomes, but it isn't causing this pandemic. This virus is wreaking havoc worldwide, even in countries with lower obesity rates.

I don't believe anyone said obesity (or any other preventable lifestyle choice) is causing the pandemic. However, these choices make the outcomes worse.

I feel there should have been more publicity on this angle.

If you read my post, I actually said that obesity can lead to worse outcomes. But it isn't causing these lockdowns, which is the point I'm trying to make.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    Looking forward to the "This is tall" edition of GQ with Peter Dinklage on the cover!

HAHAHAHAHAHA... That is the perfect analogy to this madness.
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    edited January 2021
    Then it's hard to understand why we've got so many people here who think you need to exercise for hours a week to lose weight or that they must limit carbohydrates or that you have to eat breakfast or that you have to IF to get your blood sugar down or etc etc etc.

Our culture is full of garbage information about detoxing and fad diets, which is part of the reason why people struggle with weight management.

Our culture is also full of misinformation about COVID, but that doesn't stop people from vilifying others for "not following the science" when it comes to that. Pretty much any public health agency on Earth will give you identical information on how to lose weight.
    Nobody has comorbidities for fun or because they're out to get me. That's my point. They're putting themselves at risk, I refuse to take it as a personal attack.

People who want to socialize, go back to work, get an education, etc. aren't "out to get" other people either, but they've been treated that way because they're blamed for worsening the pandemic. Obesity is also worsening the pandemic. It increases the risk of the healthcare system collapsing and care being denied to people who don't have fixable co-morbidities. The entire reason why we have to have lockdowns is to prevent the healthcare system from collapsing.
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Yeah, I see a serious "I'm the victim, they are evil and doing this to me" thing in this thread that is not based in any reasonable understanding of truth.

All year we've been hearing nothing but "the evil people who want to go out and socialize and reopen things are doing this to me" even though socialization is vitally necessary for human health. I don't see how this is any different.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    What I find ridiculous and abhorrent is the stance that one set of preventative measures such as mask wearing and social distancing, is morally virtuous and socially imperative, while other sets of preventive measures are barely mentioned. It’s not good science, and has became extremely political. If we are truly concerned about saving lives, we need to be honest and upfront about what we can each do to mitigate our personal risk of Covid and avoid straining medical resources.

I should add that I just think this is inaccurate. I have a friend with whom I talk about weight loss things who is obese, and he has been saying from the beginning that he needs to lose weight to control his risk. The discussions I've heard otherwise, both locally and on MFP have indicated that people are aware that obesity is a risk factor. I'm not overweight, but I've gained some during this and have joked about how it should be the opposite.

I really don't think anyone doesn't know obesity is a risk -- why people don't then lose is a harder question related probably to why people get overweight despite it being a known health risk and also not positively viewed by society, or at least that has been my personal experience/understanding.

The idea that if we just blamed fat people more they'd be thinner seems unlikely to me, and unrelated to what helped me lose weight, but perhaps your personal experience is different?
  • I’m not accusing anyone in particular; I just saw some misunderstanding of what I was trying to say.

I do think it would be helpful to say “Lose weight, wear masks to lower the spread and severity of Covid.”

I do see people becoming extremely focused on wearing masks, gloves and social distancing and putting all their efforts to avoiding the virus completely. It increases anxiety, OCD and depression greatly because they are cowering from something they are terrified they are going to get anyway.

It would be much better for people to stop only focusing on not getting it and instead also focus on actions that have clearly and scientifically shown to decrease the severity.

Obviously, there are other factors like age, and decreased immune function that can’t be mitigated.

But we can really improve our chances for survival if we lose weight. We don’t have to be out of our minds with fear and worry that there’s nothing we can really do to prevent ourselves from dying from Covid.

MyFitnessPal could be nationally promoted by officials, or other free apps like this one. We could open more gyms in empty stores so people can exercise and still socially distance. We could really promote people using hiking trails in parks. A lot of them are only wide enough for one person so it’s easy to social distance. We could have schools have more gym time in middle schools and high schools. Business could incentivize employees using MyFitnessPal and activity trackers. I know some already do, my husband’s new job is what restarted me here. We could have businesses give people exercise balls to bounce on while working from home. We could have cooking lessons required in every middle school and high school. We could have officials saying “Don’t despair, lose weight.”
    I’m not very creative even. I’m sure there’s many people out there with much better ideas.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Are those real Cosmo covers?

Apparently they are, might be the UK editions though:

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/body/a34915032/women-bodies-wellness-healthy-different-shape-size/