Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of queue-jumping and don't have any plans to try to do it myself, but I have a hard time getting massively upset at someone who does it, given that we have vaccines expiring in the U.S., and no apparent plans to do the thing which would be at once most humane and most productive, which is to ship extra vaccine to countries that have never had enough vaccine to get a significant percentage of the population vaccinated.

If we're just going to let vaccine expire because vax resisters won't take it, it's better that it go in somebody's arm, even if it's only providing an incremental boost in protection to someone who's already better protected than billions of people around the world.

Yeah, 100% agree. Don't know current figures on wasted vaccine, but here are some ones from earlier in the month. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/01/us/covid-us-vaccine-wasted.html
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://news.yahoo.com/u-data-show-rising-breakthrough-181525317.html

Being vaccinated still gives us an edge to decrease the health care burden.

Locally death is increasing interest in getting vaccinated and of course some are glad to point out the vaccine protection is fading fast.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Here's my 5 min on mfp today. Was listening to the radio this AM while walking the cats. This particular show host is fully against vaccines which has caused me to limit whether I bother to listen to him. This AM he was recounting which catagories of people are most avoiding vaccinations. He mentioned the usual list of ethnicities and the like, but then he added that PhD's are highly avoiding vaccination (I do remember seeing such a headline but did not bothered to read). He was touting it like that was a more relevant point than I personally would give it credit to be. He continued on saying how all these "highly educated" people are avoiding the vaccine and that that should be indicative to us, the listeners. My thought is that that point might be more valuable if they were MD or select PhD with a pertinent knowledge base that were avoiding the vaccines. IMM does a PhD in dramaturgy really have greater insights into vaccine safety than a general population individual? Those are my thoughts for the day, and I found it annoying that the talk show host thinks we are too stupid to not see the flaw in his argument.

Back to cleaning and packing the house........

I'm resting from packing myself (we are moving in a few months - you?) and was able to verify the hesitancy among PhD's but have not been able to find more details. When it says "by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group" I don't know if that means among education only or among all groups.

https://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/news/news-stories/2021/july/covid-hesitancy.html

...The largest decrease in hesitancy between January and May by education group was in those with a high school education or less. Hesitancy held constant in the most educated group (those with a PhD); by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group. While vaccine hesitancy decreased across virtually all racial groups, Black people and Pacific Islanders had the largest decreases, joining Hispanics and Asians at having lower vaccine hesitancy than white people in May.

@kshama2001 I will be honest, as I said I saw a headline mentioning PhD's but I have no idea what source. I was on my computer, but have no further details as I did not open the article. My reason for bringing it all up is that I just found the claim made by the talk show host to be self serving for his show. Lots of people make convenient statements hoping no one will look at the quality of the data behind it. In this case stating "PhD's......" like every PhD is better informed about COVID than other people, or any topic for that matter. In contrast, there are many well informed people here in this group (note that I am not including myself in this list) and I bet they do not all have "phD's". Hope my point is making sense.....

Thanks for the article. If I were to poll within my own family, every PhD is vaccinated (along with all the MD). The primary vaccine refusers in my family are two with chiropractic degrees and a wife of one. There are two others, but they did have COVID and claim they are delaying their vaccine. Not sure where to rank them.

Moving? Passing papers on a down sizing townhouse this friday. Have had painters and contractors in my house 6 days a week from July 12 -Aug 15. Packing, decluttering, giving away and dumping. We hand house to real estate for listing the Friday after. I have since said that for the time, I am just going to die in my house. At the moment it sounds preferable.....

@SModa61: Hopefully this move is my last move and I will die there, as did my grandfather, and as is the plan for my mother.

On the plus side, our soon-to-be-former house was only on the market for FOUR DAYS before we accepted a very good offer. 63% of the people who saw it put in offers, all over ask.

The pandemic has made the real estate market insane where I am, like the list price tells you nothing about how much something will sell for, you are basically bidding blind.

I tried to buy a property last week, bid 20% over asking, and wasn't even close (it sold for almost 70% over asking). Twelve offers so I knew it would go over, but no idea it would be that much.

It's the same thing at my end of the province. I have several friends whose kids are trying to buy first homes and even the starter/fixer-upper houses are going for crazy ridiculous prices.

Welcome to 2004. :smile:

Not sure where you are but housing is much worse here now than in 2004. Average house price in Ontario has tripled since then, wages have increased maybe 60%.
    Despite the fact that I have a ton of equity in the homes I own I hope that prices drop. I want my city to be livable for young people and new immigrants to be able to afford their own homes, not just us older folks sitting on millions of dollars of real estate at their expense. I don't know what is going to happen but the inequity in that is frightening to me.

My point is that in 2004 (and some period around that -- I think it lasted until 2007) in most of the U.S., homes routinely were selling in the first day they were listed with multiple offers significantly above asking. And you could have done the same look-back comparison at that time showing housing prices had increased several multiples over what wages had increased since some year 15 to 20 years back.

Skip forward to 2008-2010 and prices had plummeted and people were losing their homes because they had bought with ARMS or balloon mortgages and they had negative equity (aka they were "upside down"). So if this is a bubble, which it certainly looks like, you'll get your wish and prices will drop and you can then feel sorry for all the young people and new immigrants who stretched themselves too far to buy now.

I'm in Canada, as is the person you were responding too, so I was referring to the situation here. Our housing market didn't crash the same way as the US one did in 2007, due to various factors (that I won't get into due to already being wayyyy off topic for the thread.)

I do know some young people and new immigrants who have stretched themselves to buy this past year. And I will feel bad for them if they lose their homes/equity in a price drop situation. But not sure that the other scenario of the average home in my area maintaining a value of over 1M is any better. Someone is going to lose either way and it is tragic really.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Looks like antibody testing is getting more available as well, at little to no cost similar to the regular covid tests.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's actually easy here in Tx to get a booster. I was just talking to one of my friends yesterday morning about it (she is immuno compromised) and got her 2nd shot in Feb I think. She was able to walk right in to the pharmacy and get her booster yesterday afternoon. It will be interesting to see if she has any reaction to the 3rd. So far all reports I have heard are just arm soreness and nothing like the 2nd shot. She got Moderna I think. (and looks like that poster was quite successful in getting the other thread shut down).

On another note maybe MORE people will be encouraged to and will be able to get the antibodies now that our Governor has made them more in the news again.

I don't think that was a "booster". I think she got a regular shot which are widely available to walk into any pharmacy and get. So she got herself a third shot, but not necessarily a "booster". Per the CDC, boosters won't be available until the fall after full FDA approval (which happened yesterday August 23). From what I've read, these won't be just walk in and get...you will get a notification that you are eligible as per the date of your 2nd shot. It will go in the same order that the original shots were prioritized.

This is per the CDC on 8/20/21...so not really sure what your friend got here...maybe it was a booster and they were just starting before the official announcement of FDA approval or something. I won't be eligible to get mine until Dec as my 2nd shot was April 2 per the CDC.

I'm not sure how those notifications will work since that data isn't always in a single place (aside from the paper vaccine card).

I got my 1st dose of Moderna in TN, then moved to TX and got my 2nd dose at a pharmacy here. In May, the county where I lived in TN called me wanting to know if I was going to schedule my 2nd shot. There is no single national / international database with all of those records for each individual.

ETA: The original shots were also not prioritized in a uniform fashion. This was also a state decision. This is part of the reason I was able to get it in TN in March. I knew I would be moving soon and TX considered Type 1 Diabetics in the "healthy" group while TN put us in the "comorbidity" group. I agreed with TN and made sure to get my first when able. I got it the same week they opened it up to residents with 1 comorbidity. I was able to schedule a 2nd dose in TX only because I had already received my 1st dose.

In my state, those records are held by our state DOH and we will be notified by our DOH when we are eligible and that record will have to be provided to the pharmacy. This is to avoid a run on vaccine and vaccine shortfalls. Our state is simply following the 8 month CDC guidance for when to send notifications. This keeps everyone in the same order as the first go around.

That's great for people who got both doses in the same state and there are consistent records. For those of us who got our 2 doses in 2 different states, the systems you described functions to prevent me from ever receiving a booster.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    It's actually easy here in Tx to get a booster. I was just talking to one of my friends yesterday morning about it (she is immuno compromised) and got her 2nd shot in Feb I think. She was able to walk right in to the pharmacy and get her booster yesterday afternoon. It will be interesting to see if she has any reaction to the 3rd. So far all reports I have heard are just arm soreness and nothing like the 2nd shot. She got Moderna I think. (and looks like that poster was quite successful in getting the other thread shut down).

On another note maybe MORE people will be encouraged to and will be able to get the antibodies now that our Governor has made them more in the news again.

I don't think that was a "booster". I think she got a regular shot which are widely available to walk into any pharmacy and get. So she got herself a third shot, but not necessarily a "booster". Per the CDC, boosters won't be available until the fall after full FDA approval (which happened yesterday August 23). From what I've read, these won't be just walk in and get...you will get a notification that you are eligible as per the date of your 2nd shot. It will go in the same order that the original shots were prioritized.

This is per the CDC on 8/20/21...so not really sure what your friend got here...maybe it was a booster and they were just starting before the official announcement of FDA approval or something. I won't be eligible to get mine until Dec as my 2nd shot was April 2 per the CDC.

I'm not sure how those notifications will work since that data isn't always in a single place (aside from the paper vaccine card).

I got my 1st dose of Moderna in TN, then moved to TX and got my 2nd dose at a pharmacy here. In May, the county where I lived in TN called me wanting to know if I was going to schedule my 2nd shot. There is no single national / international database with all of those records for each individual.

ETA: The original shots were also not prioritized in a uniform fashion. This was also a state decision. This is part of the reason I was able to get it in TN in March. I knew I would be moving soon and TX considered Type 1 Diabetics in the "healthy" group while TN put us in the "comorbidity" group. I agreed with TN and made sure to get my first when able. I got it the same week they opened it up to residents with 1 comorbidity. I was able to schedule a 2nd dose in TX only because I had already received my 1st dose.

In my state, those records are held by our state DOH and we will be notified by our DOH when we are eligible and that record will have to be provided to the pharmacy. This is to avoid a run on vaccine and vaccine shortfalls. Our state is simply following the 8 month CDC guidance for when to send notifications. This keeps everyone in the same order as the first go around.

That's great for people who got both doses in the same state and there are consistent records. For those of us who got our 2 doses in 2 different states, the systems you described functions to prevent me from ever receiving a booster.

But since the "booster" at this point is simply a third shot, if the state thinks you've only had one, couldn't you just go get your "second shot" (which would really be your third/booster) and you would have had that booster you wanted? Seems like you'd be in an even better position being someone who still needs the second shot...Getting that 2nd shot should be a priority over getting a booster, right?

Good question. When the state of TN called me wondering why I didn't get my 2nd shot, I told them I got it in another state. I'm not sure how they marked that down. I'm not sure that the state of TX tracked mine at all because I didn't enter my information online until I got to the pharmacy website to schedule it.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    Here's my 5 min on mfp today. Was listening to the radio this AM while walking the cats. This particular show host is fully against vaccines which has caused me to limit whether I bother to listen to him. This AM he was recounting which catagories of people are most avoiding vaccinations. He mentioned the usual list of ethnicities and the like, but then he added that PhD's are highly avoiding vaccination (I do remember seeing such a headline but did not bothered to read). He was touting it like that was a more relevant point than I personally would give it credit to be. He continued on saying how all these "highly educated" people are avoiding the vaccine and that that should be indicative to us, the listeners. My thought is that that point might be more valuable if they were MD or select PhD with a pertinent knowledge base that were avoiding the vaccines. IMM does a PhD in dramaturgy really have greater insights into vaccine safety than a general population individual? Those are my thoughts for the day, and I found it annoying that the talk show host thinks we are too stupid to not see the flaw in his argument.

I'm resting from packing myself (we are moving in a few months - you?) and was able to verify the hesitancy among PhD's but have not been able to find more details. When it says "by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group" I don't know if that means among education only or among all groups.

...The largest decrease in hesitancy between January and May by education group was in those with a high school education or less. Hesitancy held constant in the most educated group (those with a PhD); by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group. While vaccine hesitancy decreased across virtually all racial groups, Black people and Pacific Islanders had the largest decreases, joining Hispanics and Asians at having lower vaccine hesitancy than white people in May.

@kshama2001 I will be honest, as I said I saw a headline mentioning PhD's but I have no idea what source. I was on my computer, but have no further details as I did not open the article. My reason for bringing it all up is that I just found the claim made by the talk show host to be self serving for his show. Lots of people make convenient statements hoping no one will look at the quality of the data behind it. In this case stating "PhD's......" like every PhD is better informed about COVID than other people, or any topic for that matter. In contrast, there are many well informed people here in this group (note that I am not including myself in this list) and I bet they do not all have "phD's". Hope my point is making sense.....

Thanks for the article. If I were to poll within my own family, every PhD is vaccinated (along with all the MD). The primary vaccine refusers in my family are two with chiropractic degrees and a wife of one. There are two others, but they did have COVID and claim they are delaying their vaccine. Not sure where to rank them.

Moving? Passing papers on a down sizing townhouse this friday. Have had painters and contractors in my house 6 days a week from July 12 -Aug 15. Packing, decluttering, giving away and dumping. We hand house to real estate for listing the Friday after. I have since said that for the time, I am just going to die in my house. At the moment it sounds preferable.....

@SModa61: Hopefully this move is my last move and I will die there, as did my grandfather, and as is the plan for my mother.

On the plus side, our soon-to-be-former house was only on the market for FOUR DAYS before we accepted a very good offer. 63% of the people who saw it put in offers, all over ask.

The pandemic has made the real estate market insane where I am, like the list price tells you nothing about how much something will sell for, you are basically bidding blind.

I tried to buy a property last week, bid 20% over asking, and wasn't even close (it sold for almost 70% over asking). Twelve offers so I knew it would go over, but no idea it would be that much.

It's the same thing at my end of the province. I have several friends whose kids are trying to buy first homes and even the starter/fixer-upper houses are going for crazy ridiculous prices.

Welcome to 2004. :smile:

Not sure where you are but housing is much worse here now than in 2004. Average house price in Ontario has tripled since then, wages have increased maybe 60%.
    Despite the fact that I have a ton of equity in the homes I own I hope that prices drop. I want my city to be livable for young people and new immigrants to be able to afford their own homes, not just us older folks sitting on millions of dollars of real estate at their expense. I don't know what is going to happen but the inequity in that is frightening to me.

My point is that in 2004 (and some period around that -- I think it lasted until 2007) in most of the U.S., homes routinely were selling in the first day they were listed with multiple offers significantly above asking. And you could have done the same look-back comparison at that time showing housing prices had increased several multiples over what wages had increased since some year 15 to 20 years back.

Skip forward to 2008-2010 and prices had plummeted and people were losing their homes because they had bought with ARMS or balloon mortgages and they had negative equity (aka they were "upside down"). So if this is a bubble, which it certainly looks like, you'll get your wish and prices will drop and you can then feel sorry for all the young people and new immigrants who stretched themselves too far to buy now.

I'm in Canada, as is the person you were responding too, so I was referring to the situation here. Our housing market didn't crash the same way as the US one did in 2007, due to various factors (that I won't get into due to already being wayyyy off topic for the thread.)

I do know some young people and new immigrants who have stretched themselves to buy this past year. And I will feel bad for them if they lose their homes/equity in a price drop situation. But not sure that the other scenario of the average home in my area maintaining a value of over 1M is any better. Someone is going to lose either way and it is tragic really.

I know this is off topic but it is really boggling my mind what people are disagreeing with here - can someone enlighten me. The pandemic has caused a surge in home prices here, and if they drop people who bought at the peak will lose, and if they don't drop they are unaffordable to first time buyers. So it seems like a conundrum to me where some group of people will lose. The only people who won't lose are older people like me who bought years ago and are now sitting on million dollar homes. Can someone who disagreed explain to me why it isn't lose/lose, and/or how everyone can win in this situation? I just can't wrap my mind around how it can possibly be a good thing.

(ETA It doesn't affect me - I am in my 50's and own three properties already - but I am literally hoping that my homes become worth less, and my equity decreases, if it would mean more people can afford to buy their own homes. I don't want to live in a society where the only way to own a home is the passing down of generational wealth.)

After getting a disagree on my post saying that I have vegetables rotting in my compost bin, I can't take them too seriously ;)

But maybe people conflated several sentences and thought you were saying that it was the young people buying 1M homes and that them losing out in the future would be tragic, and the disagreers think the young people in that situation would be foolish rather than tragic. /shrug/

Maybe - but that kind of reinforces my point because you can't really get a house here for under 1M. Maybe people are thinking that when I refer to a million dollar home I am talking about a mansion or something - when in reality a regular cookie cutter subdivision home that isn't anything special costs that here.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

This was the same in the spring and early summer here. My sister was trying to buy but just waited it out. Everything in her desired price range went in less than 48 hours. Things have slowed down a bunch here, as she has an accepted offer now which IMO is a bit too high (but worth it for how perfect it is for her) and a bit less than asking. Not sure how rational it is, but in early summer the Zillow estimate for my house (which I bought in early 2019) was $250K over my purchase price and now it's down to $100K over (this area is "gentrifying" some meaning people are buying workers cottages and replacing them with newly built huge fancy stuff (basically a McMansion that must fit on 125x30 with a little yard and garage, but also still has a bunch of reno'd original places, not very reno'd original places, and rentals, and is still pretty mixed income-wise).