At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Replies

• EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    @wunderkindking @AnnPT77 @springlering62 This is so much excellent information- thank you for sharing!

@Lietchi Yep, you're right- I'm basing this on my reported calorie burns during exercise from my Apple Watch. My heart rate has absolutely decreased as I've gotten fitter. Over the last month or so I have been eating slightly more on average and losing weight at the same rate. I am in the same boat as many of you that as my fitness improves, movement becomes even easier and more fun, so I am naturally more active and pushing harder during workouts. I get restless on days when I'm doing office work and have to sit for several hours, and I tend to compensate for it at the gym.

However my watch has also been overestimating my "resting energy" by a couple hundred kcal, always has. I basically just ignore it and go by my weight trends.

I have been fairly active for many years, but since Jan 1 I've stuck to a regimen of highly varied cardio 6-7 days/week plus weight training 2-3 days/week with the goal of maintaining my lean body mass as I lose weight. (I love weight training. It's my zen.) My plan is to continue this process until I get to my goal weight range, then switch to maintenance calories and change up my lifting routine with the intent to do a slow recomp.

Part of me is just paranoid that if something happens and I end up unable to do the kind of activity I do now, I will have to drop my calories considerably lower than I'm comfortable with. I know this is not a thing I can control beyond doing what I can to stay healthy/active and avoiding injury. I had a bad experience last year with unexpectedly needing foot surgery and being unable to exercise normally for two months. I gained a considerable amount of weight in a short period of time. This is a mental thing- I KNOW that my habits are different now, and I am actively working every day to maintain those habits and be flexible when needed. I just don't have the confidence in my ability to deal with those issues yet because I have never successfully done it. After a lifetime of reverting to bad habits anytime something unexpected happens, I am anticipating every possibility so that I can be ready to tackle it, just in case.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    I empathize. My current level of activity is because I enjoy being active, but also because I enjoy the quantity of food I can eat now.

I've worried about the same issue, whether I could eat less if I had an injury. I was overtraining a while back and forced myself to slow down a little and I'll admit, it was hard... I don't have a magical solution for that issue 🤷🏻 I think it's a very frequent issue too, judging by how many elite athletes become overweight when they stop competing. So at least you're not alone? 🙂 For myself, I think I'd go back to skipping breakfast to stick to my calorie goal (I started eating breakfast to increase my protein intake while losing weight).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    edited April 2022
    @EliseTK1
    >” However my watch has also been overestimating my "resting energy" by a couple hundred kcal, always has. I basically just ignore it and go by my weight trends.”<

But is it? I think there’s studies that if you do a challenging workout, you’ll continue to burn extra calories for a long period afterwards.

So if you e upped your exercise, maybe it’s recognizing that during rest periods.

Again, my own N=1, but if I do a stand-alone class I get far fewer calories than if I’ve done another class immediately before. I’ve noticed this with both yoga and aquafit.

For example, I’ve got a couple of instructors who repeat power yoga classes during the week, and then change them up the following week.

I can do a Wednesday class and Apple gives me low to mid 200’s. I can do a power class Saturday morning, immediately followed by repeating the near identical class I did Wednesday, and because my heart rate etc is already up, even with half an hour break between classes, I’ll typically pick up another 50-100 calories than same class I did Wednesday.

Ditto for aquafit, which is pretty standard. I often do spin/hiit or a cardio class, strip my shirt and shorts down to the suit hidden underneath and run to join my husband in the pool. I’ll get far more calories for that aquafit than I would have for a similar aquafit that didn’t have a class beforehand.

So, if you’re exercising more, it seems logical that Apple’s magic whatever is recognizing that you’re burning extra during rest periods as well.

Did that make sense?

@AnnPT77 ?
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    @Lietchi So true.

@springlering62 I see what you’re saying. I’m pretty sure it’s overestimating though, going by all the data including my as-accurate-as-possible intake data and my rate of loss. I would expect to be losing a full two pounds a week if it were accurate, but I’m hanging out around 1.15-1.25.

I’ve had my resting metabolic rate tested quite a few times over the years, courtesy of my profession and my hubby’s. When I was in college it was far lower than expected for my age, height, and weight. (I had very little muscle.) More recently it was closer to what MFP predicts it should be, I believe thanks to my years of building strength. I’m guessing my lower metabolic rate is at least partially genetic. It’s not crazy low, just on the lower side of normal variation.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited April 2022
    EliseTK1 wrote: »
    @wunderkindking @AnnPT77 @springlering62 This is so much excellent information- thank you for sharing!

@Lietchi Yep, you're right- I'm basing this on my reported calorie burns during exercise from my Apple Watch. My heart rate has absolutely decreased as I've gotten fitter. Over the last month or so I have been eating slightly more on average and losing weight at the same rate. I am in the same boat as many of you that as my fitness improves, movement becomes even easier and more fun, so I am naturally more active and pushing harder during workouts. I get restless on days when I'm doing office work and have to sit for several hours, and I tend to compensate for it at the gym.

However my watch has also been overestimating my "resting energy" by a couple hundred kcal, always has. I basically just ignore it and go by my weight trends.

I have been fairly active for many years, but since Jan 1 I've stuck to a regimen of highly varied cardio 6-7 days/week plus weight training 2-3 days/week with the goal of maintaining my lean body mass as I lose weight. (I love weight training. It's my zen.) My plan is to continue this process until I get to my goal weight range, then switch to maintenance calories and change up my lifting routine with the intent to do a slow recomp.

Part of me is just paranoid that if something happens and I end up unable to do the kind of activity I do now, I will have to drop my calories considerably lower than I'm comfortable with. I know this is not a thing I can control beyond doing what I can to stay healthy/active and avoiding injury. I had a bad experience last year with unexpectedly needing foot surgery and being unable to exercise normally for two months. I gained a considerable amount of weight in a short period of time. This is a mental thing- I KNOW that my habits are different now, and I am actively working every day to maintain those habits and be flexible when needed. I just don't have the confidence in my ability to deal with those issues yet because I have never successfully done it. After a lifetime of reverting to bad habits anytime something unexpected happens, I am anticipating every possibility so that I can be ready to tackle it, just in case.

I empathize, but at the same time some time in maintenance has taught me that maintenance isn't... static? For me, anyway.

For me it's kind of a slow rolling repeated gain/loss cycle. Forget my hormones and the changes brought about by those. Actual LIFE isn't static and so seasonally, at least, if not weekly or monthly my energy output and calorie intake change.

For me maintenance has been basically very slowly gaining and losing the same several pounds over and over again. EXPECTING that and knowing that's just what it's going to be has helped me not throw in the towel and revert to worse habits.

I have NO DOUBT that I'd gain 10 pounds if I was forced back to inactivity as I was last summer (broke my ankle) but I also have NO DOUBT I'd lose it again. Not sure I'd consider either one of those coming out of maintenance, much less failure. It's a wider swing in my weight than I regularly have due to muscle soreness and sodium intake spikes by all of about 3 pounds.

My weight REGULARLY spikes 5-7 pounds after a very active weekend, OR a weekend that's heavy on carbs/salt just because. Then disappears over the following week. I couldn't even give you an exact weight I actually am absent water retention due to various factors. I could tell you what I weighed this morning but not a 'real' weight.

My pants get tight, I eat less.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited April 2022
    @EliseTK1
    >” However my watch has also been overestimating my "resting energy" by a couple hundred kcal, always has. I basically just ignore it and go by my weight trends.”<

But is it? I think there’s studies that if you do a challenging workout, you’ll continue to burn extra calories for a long period afterwards.

So if you e upped your exercise, maybe it’s recognizing that during rest periods.

Again, my own N=1, but if I do a stand-alone class I get far fewer calories than if I’ve done another class immediately before. I’ve noticed this with both yoga and aquafit.

For example, I’ve got a couple of instructors who repeat power yoga classes during the week, and then change them up the following week.

I can do a Wednesday class and Apple gives me low to mid 200’s. I can do a power class Saturday morning, immediately followed by repeating the near identical class I did Wednesday, and because my heart rate etc is already up, even with half an hour break between classes, I’ll typically pick up another 50-100 calories than same class I did Wednesday.

Ditto for aquafit, which is pretty standard. I often do spin/hiit or a cardio class, strip my shirt and shorts down to the suit hidden underneath and run to join my husband in the pool. I’ll get far more calories for that aquafit than I would have for a similar aquafit that didn’t have a class beforehand.

So, if you’re exercising more, it seems logical that Apple’s magic whatever is recognizing that you’re burning extra during rest periods as well.

Did that make sense?

@AnnPT77 ?

Err, um, maybe. Or maybe not.

EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption - "afterburn") is real, but any research I've seen suggests it's numerically underwhelming.

It's usually expressed as a percentage of the base calories from the exercise. About the highest I've seen reported is around 15%. IOW, for each 100 calories burned during the exercise, 15 calories of EPOC . . . at the high-ish end. That's usually non huge.

It varies by exercise type - research still ongoing, but loosely what I've seen looks like high intensity or high strength challenge exercise tends to have higher EPOC. If higher intensity work has a higher EPOC, that's in a context where higher intensity work is more duration-limited, kind of by definition. The implication is that we may get more EPOC calories from long easy cardio than from necessarily-shorter very hard cardio, even though the hard cardio has "much higher EPOC" (in percentage terms).

When taking 2 classes back to back, I think there's a misleading aspect. There's a thing called "cardiac drift".

Simplistically, if we do a constant intensity but slightly (or more) challenging thing, heart rate increases, maybe a little faster at first (kind of a warm-up effect). Assume we keep going - exact same intensity (such as jogging pace on level surface), so same work (in the physics sense), so same rate of calorie burn. That's where one tends to see "cardiac drift" most clearly.

Eventually the rate of HR increase levels off a bit, but it will tend to continue to slowly creep upward as long as that intensity of exercise continues. (How far, how fast - loosely a function of fitness level with respect to that activity/intensity.)

Bottom line: Workload isn't increasing, so calorie burn isn't increasing for real. But heart rate is increasing, so a heart-rate-based calorie estimate will typically estimate an increasing rate of calorie burn.

You can see this pretty clearly in this HR chart from a recent workout, where I did 3 x 2k with short easier 2 minutes bits in between (including a drink of water) and a cool down at the end. (Each 2k took just under 10 minutes, and I was very close to the same pace during each of the 2k pieces, so very close to constant workload. I don't have a good graph of it, but my watt output is pretty level throughout the 2k pieces, so calorie burn rate is also pretty consistent.) You can see the warm up in the first piece, a big drop during the easy/drink phases, but each 2k piece gradually climbs higher in heart rate. That's pretty much just cardiac drift, not extra calorie burn.

x3hgnxxeuydz.png

With back to back classes, you'd get a variant on the heart rate drift eject, making it look like the 2nd class burned more calories than the device would estimate if you'd started the same activity from a rested state. It won't show as clearly on a HR chart from something like the classes, because the exertion tends to be somewhat variable during the session. However, the general effect, that once you elevate heart rate and keep going, you'll see some cardiac drift effect - that's going to be happening invisible-hand fashion. At least that's how I understand it.

Whether either estimate (class starting from rested, vs. right after another class) is accurate is a whole other question (based on what HRM are good/bad at estimating, how fit you are vs. what the algorithm thinks, how close your HRmax is to age estimates (if the device doesn't know a measured value), etc.

Probably close enough to be useful.

So, yes, EPOC is real. I don't know whether your HRM will see it, because it's a relatively small and gradual thing, over (potentially) a long-ish time period. The effect on calorie estimates from back-to-back classes, or longer duration activities, isn't mostly about EPOC, but cardiac drift will distort pure HR calorie estimates in those scenarios.

HRM estimates are close enough to be useful for calorie estimating many exercises, but the further one gets (in any dimension) from moderate steady state cardio without a large strength/strain/heat component, the less likely they are to being accurate, and it's tenuous to read into small differences IMO. (I see people thinking something like hot yoga burns more calories than the same work done in cooler rooms, but . . . not really. Heat on its own tends to raise heart rate, and yeah, there's possibly a tiny bump in calorie burn from body-temp-controlling functions, but most of the higher estimate is just that HR speeds up to increase blood flow to facilitate cooling. The extra heartbeats burn a couple of calories, but the increased HR doesn't signal higher oxygen uptake, and it's oxygen utilization that correlates better with calorie burn. HR is just a proxy for oxygen utilization, not an exact correlate.)

Even some fitness trackers these day are deciding not to use HR as an exercise eatimator for things like strength training (METS, the MFP method, is likely to be closer, especially if corrected for the MFP "activity factor x BMR" theoretical flaw), or distance (and related measures) for things like walking/running. AFAIK, they still use HR from so-called HIIT, which - as with any interval training - likely to cause an over-estimate if HR is the basis (loosely, because HR stays high during easy/rest intervals for a while, making it appear that intense work has gone on longer than it has).
  • AnnPT77
    EliseTK1 wrote: »

For me, using the MFP method of adding exercise calories separately has been pretty effective in getting me through those times of reduced activity (like post-surgery or during injury recovery). There are pros and cons of each, but for me, that's one of the pros of MFP method over TDEE method. I have a decent idea of how to eat with or without normal exercise.

I'd endorse what @wunderkindking is saying about maintenance being a range of weights, not a single weight, and that there can be some cycling to it. (Personally, I'm less active, in terms of incidental movement, in cold seasons vs. warmer ones, for example. Some of that shows up in steps, or tracker calorie burn estimates, but I think not all.)

I think you'll do fine. Even if 100 calories daily over true maintenance, it'll take over a month to gain a pound, y'know? And you clearly know how how to lose a pound. I think the common place where people go wrong is either a "diet then go back to normal" eating/exercise pattern (a recipe for yo-yo!), or just stopping being vigilant about scale creep, just letting gradual weight regain go on too long without acting on it. Either of those are actionable patterns, can be avoided or corrected.

You mention new habits: The easier those habits are, the more they can and will continue on autopilot (or close) if life gets complicated. Revamped habits that require a lot of the near-mythical "motivation" or "will power" to sustain . . . are going to make things more difficult.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    I feel ya. I just came back from a trip myself and I ate aaaallll the foods... Between 2500 and 3500 calories a day (very coarse estimate, nothing weighed!), and being less active than usually.
    Breakfast buffets, dinner buffets, family party with several courses and a gigantic dessert buffet... My only 'salvation' was 3 days in between the two weekends when we weren't in a hotel or with family, which meant it was purely home-cooked meals (plus hiking). The scale was remarkably unperturbed by all of this.

PS: chili with beans on the side 'for those who want them'? Blasphemy, chili without beans isn't chili 😎
  • AnnPT77
    (snipsies of good stuff)

This is all on me. I did it one day, and BL is managing very well. I don’t know why travel does this to me.
    FOMO?

I tend to do that when traveling, and FOMO is a big part of the "why", for me.

(more snip)

Trying to be very low key and not discuss food choices.

She has a friend coming over for lunch who is vegetarian Keto, and has been surprised I know about Keto, and a basic knowledge of what are Keto friendly foods.

Yah, thanks MFP!

I’m making a vegan Keto chili for lunch for everyone. Have never tasted Beyond Beef, so am very very interested to see how this turns out. Beans on the side for those who want them. 👍🏻

I'll be interested to hear what you think. When I tried some (sampled a little at a store), I thought it tasted like meh beef.

In my personal world, tasting like beef at all is a bad thing, but that's definitely not the case for all veg people - possibly especially not all strong ethical vegans or non-WF health-motivated veg*ans of all types.

I know, I'm weird. Let it go, eh? More beef, real or faux, for the rest of you.
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I feel ya. I just came back from a trip myself and I ate aaaallll the foods... Between 2500 and 3500 calories a day (very coarse estimate, nothing weighed!), and being less active than usually.
    Breakfast buffets, dinner buffets, family party with several courses and a gigantic dessert buffet... My only 'salvation' was 3 days in between the two weekends when we weren't in a hotel or with family, which meant it was purely home-cooked meals (plus hiking). The scale was remarkably unperturbed by all of this.

PS: chili with beans on the side 'for those who want them'? Blasphemy, chili without beans isn't chili 😎

That, I'm in sympathy with. Beans are kind of a carb bomb, though. It's one (among many) reasons I wouldn't remotely consider veg keto (or even veg low-carb) a good choice, for me. Lummesome beans.

Sadly (?), my "aaaallll the foods" can be 5000+. If it doesn't go on and on and on (time-wise), sticks to a normal vacation trip length of a week or two, things seem to sort out, long term . . . especially if there's rowing camp or some other pretty-active trip in the cards.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I feel ya…I don’t know what it is but when we visit dd I can’t seem to stop eating and forget the water, too.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    @AnnPT77

I’ll let BL sum it up. When asked what he thought of Impossible Meat he said, “Why? When we can have the real stuff?”

It gave a nice texture to the chili, but didn’t lend any flavor whatsoever. Like undercover tofu. Not satiating to me, either.