WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :) My approach to gratitude has always been that the action of feeling grateful is far more important than the actual stuff on the list. When I am feeling grateful, there's no room for complaining. When I read all your lists of things you're grateful for, there are many that fit into my category of "I'm so grateful I don't have _______" When I was sweeping the branches off the sidewalk in the back yard today, I was so grateful for my broom and mobility that I had no energy to fuss about why we even had to have that mess in the first place.

:)Michele, It cost $22.00 to mail the knitted blanket to our great granddaughter in Ohio. I told the clerk "Oh, well, it's only money".

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,673 Member
    Options
    Roseabc123 wrote: »
    Katla: Hope your headache is better and that you enjoy the horse calendar!

Machka9: Love the pictures of your tree!

Pipcd: At least Lucy has hit her goal weight...wish I could hit mine!

KJLamore: Love the tree and the grandchildren!

Karen: Happy Anniversary!

Ginny: I have to go for a follow up on my thyroid. There is a nodule there. One biopsy a few years ago was inconclusive. I have another follow scheduled.

Michele: Would Jess take you to midnight Mass?

Barbara: Hope the power wasn't out too long!

Annie: Sorry you and your Dad needed to deal with all the meat.

Anamika: Welcome back, I am fairly new but love the group!

Betsy: Hope you feel better

Beth: Great the biopsy was negative and that your husband put out some decorations! Have fun with that Elmo
    costume!

Margaret Turk: Love the T shirt

Quiet day here. Did book club. Did caretaking for my husband. Tomorrow I will be out of the house. I hope it isn't too cold. I am looking forward to a break from the house. I really need to get to the gym!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

Keep at it, you will
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,525 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Rebecca what is the power of your microwave? I have a 700w so I think I would have to increase the time??

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

Mine is a 1000 watt microwave
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,525 Member
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Rebecca, what size bowl do you use for your peanut brittle!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

I just use this and a wooden spoon
    jq20shh2zq88.jpg
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    <3
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Rebecca, thanks, I didn't think that would be big enough! I still need to buy one, I had one twice that size, but sadly I broke it about a year ago. I loved that bowl! The stories it could have told, the cookies it mixed.....
    That's it for me for today, congrats to those celebrating, hugs for those needing them and welcome to the newbies! Also sending good wishes to those of yours who are under the weather and hoping everyone is feeling better quickly.
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rebecca— Thanks for the Peanut Brittle recipe. ⭐️

My headache has disappeared, thank goodness. 😊

Pip—Good news that you are feeling better. 😘

Barbara— I also depend on electricity and it is easy to take for granted. We have been lucky for several years. 🤞🏻

Terri— I am so sorry that CoVid has made you sick. I hope you get well soon. ❤️

Roseabc123– My headache has disappeared, thank goodness. 😊

Barbie—I have knitted a baby blanket for every grandchild. I love knitting them. Shipping costs averaged about $22. I anticipate making more blankets in the future, likely for people in nursing homes.

Katla in Illinois
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If you're interested in the Action for Happiness Calendar ...
    Do Good December
    This month, we're encouraging you to carry out small acts of kindness.

Or we could post something we're thankful for, or happy about, related to the holiday season.

December 1 - I love the Christmas music. :) Come December 1, that's almost all I play. Christmas music or classical music (when I have to think at work or when we're in the car).

December 2 - Christmas decorations! We're lagging behind a bit because I usually like to decorate on December 1. But we got the decorations upstairs on Dec 2. Today I'll rearrange furniture and make a start.

December 3 - Summer. My favourite season. And we are finally having a few days of decent weather after a very wild and woolly spring. That's not saying the good weather will last (thanks La Nina) but there should be more of it.

December 4 - Memories. So many of the Christmas songs and traditions remind me of my parents and grandparents and happy Christmases with them.

December 5 - Christmas Displays. I like how many of the shops have Christmas Displays, and some are quite detailed and intricate.

December 6 - Greetings. People smiling and wishing each other Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

December 7 - Shortbread. So much delicious shortbread!

December 8 - Family. Christmas seems to bring us together a bit more.

December 8 - Trees. All over the world, millions of people are putting up trees in their houses and work places and decorating them. :)

December 9 - Sparkly Things. I love how everything becomes sparkly at this time of year.

December 10 - Yummy Things. Mince tarts and cookies. Fudge. Special Chocolates. All sorts of nibbles that only come out at this time of year.

December 11 - Colours. Reds and greens and a few other combinations out everywhere.

December 12 - Christmas Stories. Twas the Night Before Christmas. A Christmas Carol. Jesus Birth.

:heart:

Just saw your post, Barbara ...

:heart:
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Aha, finally found a December daily gratitude calendar.
    https://www.spacewiseorganizing.com/december-gratitude-challenge/
    “This time of year, there’s a lot of pressure to think about what we want instead of what we have. Every day for the month of December, celebrate what you’re grateful for corresponding to the theme of the day. Snap a photo or update your status on IG or FB with #spaceforgratitude”
    1sa7taue9pwm.png

1 What is something that makes you laugh? Rhody! We're so very glad we got our little COVID Cat!

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for. Rest. There will be a lot of rest over Christmas.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I like my nose and want to keep it. But my official answer will be legs - for transport (walking) and recreation (cycling).

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I've said husband and parents last month, and that's true, but this month I'll say ... my manager. She has been supportive and encouraging regarding my input into my job.

5 What is a book that changed your life? The Bible. :) With the Christmas season in mind, I'm reading the gospel of Luke now.

6 Think about something you’re good at. I think I'm good at planning and organisation.

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? To speak up. To say my piece.

When I was young, up till about 17-ish, I was quiet and shy. Then I went through a bolder phase from about 17 into my early 20s. Then the quiet shyness resumed for the most part until my husband's accident. And then the bold me reappeared!

Where I once guessed what people might be thinking and thought my answers, now I'm vocal and even told I'm quite blunt. :smiley:

8 A basic need that has been met. Shelter. I'm very thankful for our particular shelter.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? The proximity to both mountains and beaches. :)

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? Oh that's an interesting question. Either there haven't been many or I don't remember them but I'm drawing a blank. Although ... about 18 months or so ago, I didn't get a job I was going for and thought I wanted. I think I prefer the one I have now. I think it is providing me with more opportunities for experience and learning.

11 Something you use every day. A coffee cup to hold my morning coffee. :)

12 Something you don’t need anymore. What don't I need anymore? Perhaps some of the time consuming traditions like writing the Christmas letter, doing Christmas cards, heaps of baking ...

And outside of Christmas, I'm making choices that work for me. Picking and choosing what I want to do ... and don't want to do. I'm grateful I can make a few more of those choices.

13 Refuge – space you love in your home
    14 Item of clothing
    15 Taste
    16 Touch
    17 Smell
    18 Sound
    19 Sight
    20 Texture
    21 Color
    22 A song that makes you happy.
    23 Type of weather you love.
    24 Professional who helps you.
    25 Something you take for granted.
    26 A TV show that you look forward to watching.
    27 A movie you watch over and over.
    28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had.
    29 A place you love to visit.
    30 A tool you find incredibly useful.
    31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    200Karen wrote: »
    It started snowing here at 5am and 7 hours later it's still snowing🥳

I did get snowman making snow
    Here's my new best friend
    v8vbkfnj5izd.jpeg

Carol in GA Thanks for welcoming me and your comments on my posts

Hi to ALL

💞 Karen from Oregon

You must have had help getting the middle section up there!!

I remember wanting to build a huge snowman once as a child. I lived near the school and we finally had snowman making snow so several of us went to the school ground and rolled and rolled and rolled until we couldn't move the bottom "ball" anymore. Then we rolled and rolled and rolled the middle ball and finally decided it was time to put it onto the bottom ball.

But we couldn't lift it onto the bottom ball!!

So we just left it sitting next to the bottom ball.

I can't remember if we made a head and made a lying down snowman or not.

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Gratitude
    1 What is something that makes you laugh? Robin Williams movies.

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for. Very grateful for the cool fall weather and the lovely rains.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I am grateful for my hair. It's a pretty color and has body/wave. I never have to fuss with it.

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I am incredibly grateful for the assistant marketing manager Stephanie at our retirement community, who is skillfully navigating us through the portal into our retirement community. Among other things, she tactfully negotiated to return the larger storage space that originally came with our apartment (it had been commandeered, lol), assigned us a prime parking space near the elevator in the parking garage, gave us a grace period before we have to start daily "check ins", took charge of a delivery of large awkward boxes in our absence, delivering them into our apartment with care, spontaneously recruited us to join into a trivia game that was already underway, and numerous other little thoughtful gestures. Plus she is super responsive to emails.

5 What is a book that changed your life? To Kill a Mockingbird

6 Think about something you’re good at. I'm good at packing a box with random items (like a puzzle).

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? I am still learning this lesson. Do not talk at/overwhelm my younger brother with too much information or too many questions. He is vulnerable and becomes anxious and ultimately angry - because he feels inadequate, which makes him resentful.

8 A basic need that has been met. Basic needs: food, water, clothing, sleep, and shelter. All have been met with the possible exception of adequate sleep.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? Oh my gosh, there are so many great things about this neck of the woods. However, picking just one: I have a terrific network of friends and access to limitless resources in and around Richmond, VA where I live. So I would have to say "the people who live here".

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? I am grateful for being rejected by my friend Liz in graduate school. We started out by ride-sharing to school and quickly became fast friends. Liz rejected my friendship when I betrayed a confidence involving another classmate Susan. I said something to Susan that tipped her off that Liz had revealed to me something personal about Susan that she had told Liz in confidence. Susan felt betrayed by Liz, and Liz felt betrayed by me. It was a life's lesson that I should have learned at a much younger age, but I learned it well and painfully this time, and paid dearly for it by losing Liz as a friend. It was excruciating. I apologized, but the damage had been done.

11 Something you use every day. I use my hot water kettle every day and I am consciously grateful for it every time I use it. I think, what a great little hot water kettle this is! every day, lol

12 Something you don’t need anymore. I no longer need my beloved John Deere lawn tractor. Time to dispose of it.
    13 Refuge – space you love in your home

14 Item of clothing

15 Taste

16 Touch

17 Smell

18 Sound

19 Sight

20 Texture

21 Color

22 A song that makes you happy.

23 Type of weather you love.

24 Professional who helps you.

25 Something you take for granted.

26 A TV show that you look forward to watching.

27 A movie you watch over and over.

28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had.

29 A place you love to visit.

30 A tool you find incredibly useful.

31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated.

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Options
    Insightful article ...

How to slow down time because you’re not getting any younger
    BY SOFIA QUAGLIA | PUBLISHED DEC 8, 2021 6:25 PM

https://www.popsci.com/diy/how-to-slow-down-time/

"The older we get, the shorter everything feels, and that can really be quite distressing. Last year’s holiday season feels like yesterday, as does the futuristic-sounding year 2000, and that was almost 22 years ago. Even summer isn’t as long and relaxing as it was when we were young.

As much as we may want to escape time, we can’t, and more and more research suggests that time is somehow intrinsic to our bodies. There is, of course, our circadian rhythm—a natural internal clock that can maintain a 24-hour cycle even while stuck in a dark, empty room for months at a time. And every one of our cells can also tell its own time, so much so that some scientists even assembled a biological clock in a test tube to study how it works.

But even if you’re not on an intellectual quest to determine the nature of time itself, your perception of time dictates a lot of how you experience your past, present, and future. And understanding how you perceive time can help you make the most of it."

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    This is interesting too ...

https://www.mindspot.org.au/resource-library/

Communication Skills, Sleep Habits, Structured Problem Solving, 10 Tips for Staying Resilient, etc. etc.

I'm especially looking at the Assertive Communication article to use with one of my work colleagues who does not respect my boundaries: e.g. "I am happy to talk to you, but you will have to schedule a time because I am busy today."
    https://resources.mindspot.org.au/MindSpot_Assertive-Communication.pdf

Tomorrow is my last day at work for 3 weeks, so she'll have to schedule a time in the new year. :smiley:

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,329 Member
    Options
    Ginny - Yes, it is a hark back to the old days! I think she is OK, but it throws the whole family out of sinc with changed plans etc. She is too young to amuse herself for long. Edie says she is so excited to be picked up on her own by us. She is jealous of Bea's Tuesday sessions! :p

Did a good morning's writing, talking about my routines with DH, which have so enhanced my life. <3 Our exercise and writing rituals have become almost a daily spiritual practice, which gives both of us so much deep pleasure and calm.

Now for the lunch ritual! :D:p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Christmas Decorations are up.
    Christmas Cards are sent - 2 of them.
    Christmas Gifts have been purchased.
    Laundry is done and put away.
    Grocery order has been placed.

Machka in Oz