WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,714 Member
    Options
    Ginny- yes Rich is Tracy and Dans dad..,Carmine was not there..she's not talking to any of us..
    Joanne asked where she was and Kyle just told her she was at the boyfriends..she doesn't know that she is living there.
    Im going to hit the hay.. and get some sleep.. rained all day today and raining tonight but have the window open a smidge.
    Love the sound of falling rain..
    Im going to take my car down to my garage and have them do a once over on it.. to see if its worth selling.. i really would like to get a smaller car.. I have a 2016 chevy equinox and I dont need something that big..
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    Lanette: Great that you can go freezer shopping! I am not a vegetarian but no longer purchase meat. I have lost interest in cooking it.

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

On a very rare occasion, I'll buy chicken breasts or chicken mince. But that's the extent of my meat buying.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – the aloe vera tastes very bland. I have some bananas frozen so I’m thinking that the next time I have it, I’ll defrost it with the banana. It looks almost like ice

Michele NC

I wonder if it is the interior of the aloe leaves??

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kymarai wrote: »
    Machka Just wondering based on things I have seen and read lately.....could the rash be shingles and not an allergic reaction? It seems like a long time for clearing up. Just a thought that crossed my mind especially when you said it was painful.

Lots of love,
    Kylia in rainy Ohio

It was painful early on but only for a couple days. Now it's just itchy. It's a whole collection of small itchy lumps which are actually little blisters. But they aren't close together anymore. The ones down both arms are just here and there.

I've also been immunised for shingles.

M in Oz

I will add that after using hydrocortisone cream for a week (and antihistamines), the lumps on my face have disappeared and my skin looks great!! Even my rosacea has improved. I haven't had to wear foundation in a while!

I did wonder if I might be reacting to the hydrocortisone cream after using it for a week or so, and that may be the case. My neck, especially, looks overly dried out.

So I've switched to a couple different lotions. I started with aloe vera, but that didn't seem to help. Now I'm using a extra-strength gold bond moisturiser which may be helping a bit.

Machka in Oz

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited October 2023
    Options
    DH went to fix something for me last fall and I ended up cleaning out all of the cupboards. I am so thankful he doesn’t question me.
    How do bachelors do this? Is it because we took control of our kitchens and they just stood back and let us? My cousin and I had this conversation while she was here. We decided we just stepped up and never demanded anything of them.

Tracey in Edmonton

I never took control of the kitchen wither either of my marriages. I left the kitchen up to my husbands and try to avoid kitchens in general. The only time I took control of the kitchen was when I was on my own.

It occurred to me recently that I wouldn't have the faintest idea what to do if we visited someone and if I did the traditional woman thing of offering to help with the finishing touches on a meal in the kitchen. Do women still do that??

M in Oz

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I drink two ounces of aloe vera juice every morning in my loaded tea. I find it helps my digestion. I buy it in the pharmacy section of the grocery store. You can usually find it next to the Metamucil and similar products.

I keep a plant in the house but only use it if needed for burns. It never occurred to me to eat it, even though I buy the juice. I would be afraid that more than a bery small amount would upset my stomach.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,963 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Debbie: I am so jealous of the wetlands. I walk at a college campus. There is another place I could walk but I have seen a rattle snake there and that has put me off on it. I would be so annoyed cooking for someone who wants to eat in a recliner. We ate dinner at the table every evening. We didn't eat meals in front of the tv. I would be put off cooking for someone who did otherwise.

I went back 5 pages. I hope I didn't miss anything important. I got the 3 pups and Momma late Thursday afternoon and Friday and Saturday the little one, Shirley wasn't eating and I ended up feeding her milk with a syringe. Today she has been eating and I am much relieved. She is much smaller than her 2 brothers and I do worry about her. I have been getting up at night so am tired. They are about 4 weeks old. Momma is very sweet. She walks on a leash and we have been having gorgeous weather so have enjoyed our time outside!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

look forward to hearing and seeing pictures of the pups. I think about getting another dog, so I could have a walking buddy, but not right now. House is full of cats. I would worry about them escaping through the electronic doggie door. Our oldest cat used to do that- sit at the door until the dog came over to it then run out. That was before he was allowed outside.

I really enjoy the wetlands and miss that I am not out there as often as I was but was also getting a bit bored with it. Now that it is fall, more birds are coming back so more to watch and listen to. Only snakes I have seen out there are garter snakes- I don't mind them as long as I see them first.

My mother in law is sure something. Again tonight. DH took food that I had cooked. I made a big pot of my version of pho/seafood soup. First she asked if he bought it, he told her I had made it so she put it away and didn't want to eat it. He didn't say anything else but she did go back and try it and actually said it was good. Guess she was hungry.
    When she first got hurt, she did need to stay in the recliner but she is LONG past that and should sit at the table to eat but she refuses to
    Growing up, we always ate together at the table. I miss it. I can't even remember the last time we ate together. I eat alone every night we are at home. Dh eats in his room, son eats in his if he is home and I eat in the living room.

Michele-
    Yes, I really do get a chance to think when I walk by myself and I enjoy it but sometimes I would like to walk with someone . When there are things on my mind, I really like the alone time- to think, pray, etc.
    The humming bird that I had been seeing every day but was gone the last 3-4 months or so , showed up when I walked both Thursday and Friday. Same spot as before. That made me smile. Nice to see him again

I have aloe vera plants- the original I bought at the Navy Exchange back in '83- have a bunch of the offspring from it still.
    I have tried the aloe very juice- it is ok but not something I would seek out. It is big in the Asian stores around here.

Went to the new Asian grocery store today that opened in town. Too crowded in the meat and produce departments but we did find some great deals and are thrilled that we won't have to drive up to Vacaville or down to Concord to get certain things for MIL- they are right here in town.
    I will go back in a week or so when it is not their grand opening to get to really check it out.
    It is called 168 Market- a part of Ranch 99Market. Large shrimp were $5 for 1 1/2 pounds- not cleaned and deveined like I usually get but the price is great so put the extra work into cleaning them. Salmon steaks are $4.99 a pound- cooking them tomorrow night- salmon steaks for son and his girlfriend. we also got two more packs of the trimmings for $3 a pound. DH bought two packs Friday- very meaty- baked them and he and I had enough meat for us then the cats got the rest- super fresh. Dh and kids can have rice with theirs. I will bake a sweet potato to go with mine.
    Made my version of pho/seafood soup tonight- 5 kinds of fish balls that we picked up today. The lobster balls and the fried tofu bites were the best- skipped the ones that had the roe in them- no thanks- did get one kind I didn't care for- think it had uni in it-wasn't thinking or I wouldn't have got them. Added imitation crab, lotus root, snow peas, mushrooms then green onions and spinach at the very end. Forgot to add the shrimp into dh's/MIL's and to my first bowl full. Have the shrimp cooked now so we can add it to dinner tomorrow. I will have everything cooked early beings I have class.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,494 Member
    Options
    Gratitudes:
    Sunday: Gorgeous blue sky/blue sea morning, the commute to church will be a stunner.
    Saturday: Joe played the first twenty minutes of a Gordon Lightfoot special for me when I came in for our morning sit together. Whoosh. It was 1969 and I was 19 again. “I knew you’d like it.” :heart:
    Friday: County Sheriff to “move along” the homeless gal encamped in the Grange doorway. Was glad he came, but felt bad too. Where was she to go with her walker, foam pad, sleeping bag and garbage bags of possessions? What should/could I have done? :heartbreak:
    Lisa :love: your home looks so welcoming. Brilliant craft setup. You remind me of Barbie setting out her walking clothes the night before, and now sleeping in them so she can take Annie out as needed. When we make it easy for ourselves to do what we really want to. . .
    Lanette :love: the hall walking/playing with Rosie. We don’t have a long hallway, but I could chase the dogs around the dining/living/bed/bath/laundry room/kitchen circle. . .
    Barbie :love: the Bessie and Annie adoption photos. Well done!
    Annie, hugs hugs and more hugs. Well done for automatic deduction for essential utilities. Big stress reliever for the coming months.
    Welcome @Joyfulandactive ! Many of us here don’t do the “friend” thing, but share support and motivation here on this chatty, active thread.
    Heather :love: your Dufy style painting. Mama had a Dufy print from Uncle Guy’s restaurant when he changed from fine dining to steakhouse ;)
    Michele rejoicing you’ve heard from Bryan. May it continue.

Only through pg 58 but Joe’s up so its time for the shift change… ;)
    10/28: Move: 2 sets PT w/dx2 , dog group, Tumble leash walk. Steps:8503
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=27 CI<CO net=520 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AD, ptT, ptS, M, hymns, corrected council minutes v1. Wt:129.9 Yay!
    10/27: Move: 2 sets PT w/x&a, dogs to powerline, line dance class. Steps:7631
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=22 CI<CO net=380 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AD, ptT, ptS, play with plants. Wt:131.4

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    October: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Had to check out aloe vera (the rabbit holes I go down!). Evidently it is classified as a vegetable. As Dr. Katie said it is more typically a juice. Has lots of vitamin A. And there is a reason it is next to Metamucil! However, I like natural remedies for things. I may try a bit of the juice.

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/can-you-eat-aloe-vera/

Tracey-have fun putting scrapbook together. I am sure there will be some tears with the memories but also many smiles. How nice your daughter wants it.

Allie-you might be surprised what you can get for a trade-in.

Need to get busy. Slept in until 5 this am (so much better than 4!). Have to get in a few stretches. Want to get early start at work to get report sent early this am.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Good Monday!
    It is rainy here. SIL won't be at work(surprise). I got a sty in my eye last night. But it will be a good day. I am in hot tub and have a massage tonight!!!!

NSV- wore a dress my sister gave me that i haven't worn comfortably in a few years! So while the scale is being a pain, measurements must be changing.

We finally made it to Cosco yesterday afternoon. Sundays are always so crowded. We managed it between rainfalls. Yay! I should have bought steaks while we were there. Apparently that is what I was hungry for. Instead DH took me to Coopers Hawk. I ate half my meal, half dessert, and had a glass of wine. I will have other half tonight for dinner. Thought about for lunch, but want to enjoy it not scarf it. Lazy evening.

Hydration today. Focus at work.

I enjoy walking outside when warm, but am thankful for our ranch house when weather doesn't cooperate. Round and round I go like my grands use to do between kitchen, dining room, entry way, hallway, laundry room, repeat.

So for today may we all enjoy movement, water, deep breathing, and the best decision we can make in the moment.
    <3
    Kylia in cold and rainy Ohio

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options