Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    eMka11 wrote: »
    Confession: I am watching Eurovision Song Contest with my girls and enjoy it, it reminds me a lot of my childhood when me and my sister would stay up way past our usual bed time to watch it and to have a glimpse of Europe, being raised in Poland in the 80-ies :-)

The UK entry must have been a joke. I broke out the wine at that point.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    I confess that all of the cat pictures are making me super jealous. I miss my baby. :'( Her name is Zainab, and as mentioned earlier in the thread, I had to give her to my sister when I got married because my husband is horribly allergic. I hand-raised her from a teeny little tot.... When I get on my computer I'll attempt to share some pictures. :D

Great name! Does it mean anything?

Since I'm enormously lazy, I just grabbed this for you off of Google: "The name Zainab is derived from the Arabic root words "zeenah" (meaning precious jewel, what glorifies someone, source of beauty) and "ab" (meaning father). It can also mean "fragrant flower".

It's an Arabic girl's name that I've been in love with for as long as I can remember. Every time I got a cat (I've had three in total, excluding family pets, all female) I'd beg my mom to let me name her Zainab. In the Arab world, most people would be offended if you named an animal with their name--She had two friends named Zainab and so kept refusing for fear of insulting them.

I found Zainab as an abandoned kitten when I was sixteen, and told my mom that I was naming her Zainab whether her friends liked it or not. ;) She laughed and said that she wasn't going to tell them, and that she would blame it on me if they found out. So I figured we had a deal. ;)

So it's kind of like glorifying your father or thinking your father is a precious jewel? Strange for a girl. How do you pronounce it? Zay-nab or Zain-ab?

No offense, but that totally made me giggle! No, it means that the girl is a precious jewel to her father or the glory of her father. Arabic translation works backward from English in general, so you kind of got it backwards. ;)

It sounds like Zay-nab. :)

No offense. Your explanation makes way more sense than my translation!
  • eMka11
    eMka11 Posts: 106 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Confession: I am watching Eurovision Song Contest with my girls and enjoy it, it reminds me a lot of my childhood when me and my sister would stay up way past our usual bed time to watch it and to have a glimpse of Europe, being raised in Poland in the 80-ies :-)

The UK entry must have been a joke. I broke out the wine at that point.

I was not impressed either but to be honest it is not very ambitious music event anyway, soooo cheesy at times! and the votes - you can easily predict who will give the best scores to whom (not sure about grammar here?) I bet Graham will mock the point allocations all the way x
  • eMka11
    eMka11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

I JUST found out what that was as my boyfriend and some of his friends are watching it and I had to have him explain to me what that was! I feel so cool I know what you're taking about!

That's nice :-)
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    dearmrsowl wrote: »
    Confession: Thanks to the first pride parade of the year most of my calorie intake came from champagne today.

Full of bubbles, no calories! :smiley:

Since bubbles are air you are probably right, now I don't feel too bad about this ;)
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Confession: Thanks to the first pride parade of the year most of my calorie intake came from champagne today.

Columbus is nicknamed the gay Capitol of the Midwest and the pride parade is HUGE here, I love it!' It's always such a blast- we still have three weeks to go!

The one in my city is in four weeks and I'm excited for that one because it's my favorite! I was on a float today which was just so much fun and probably burned all the calories from the champagne dancing.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    When I was 12 or 13 my best school friend told me you can summon devil by looking in the mirror and calling his name 3 times, then she started to call... I was in tears begging her to stop after she said it for the second time. I was petrified!

At 50 I still don't look into a mirror in the dark, I am to afraid.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    random tidbits:

NONOELMO is a very old screen name I used when my daughter was very young. Her first words were No! and Elmo. She often repeated the no as no no! Thus nonoelmo is a historic name.

My dogs are Sorcha and Bruno. Sorcha is a 10 year old blue standard poodle. Bruno is a pound puppy. Bruno was in the pound for four months - owner surrendered. He looks like a giant pug. He has a big body, short legs, a broken short (but not cropped, it is just short) tail. He has 1/4 inch underbite. He sounds a mess and he is the cutest and freaking sweetest squishy dog ever!! He is six. I think he is some combination of pit, boxer, something short legged. The pound described him as a lab mix (good as my insurance would charge for a pit) but I have no idea what he really is. He is colored similar to a buckskin horse - I don't know what that color would be in dog language. Both dogs are awesome and very people friendly. Bruno has such a fan club, though, because he is soooo squishy when you hug his 64 pound frame. Sorcha is a lean 49 pounds of poodle energy. I love standards and think when I'm ready for another dog I'll get a parti-poodle from a breeder.

I decided to do something off my bucket list. For years I have wanted to backpack through the Steen Mountains in Oregon. That is where the Kiger Mustang population is located and I want to see them in the wild. I am an Oregon native and keep putting off the trip (young kids, busy life, live far away.) Well, I'm going to get my father onboard and plan a trip for next summer. Dad is 70 and in phenomenal shape but I can't put this off too long. SO is excited about it also, and told me I need to get in better shape to keep up with my dad. True. Oddly enough, I've been in better physical fitness shape most of my life than I am now. I fit enough exercise in to keep very healthy but I'm not in shape for hiking in the mountains with a pack on so yes, I need to train for that! My SO is ridiculously fit (marathons and century bike rides) and competitive but my dad made him work to keep up hiking last summer.

Well done on the plan to backpack in the mountains. That's an amazing undertaking!

I'm also watching eurovision. It's more dire this year than previous, if that's even possible!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't get scared by most entertainment media but I am terrified of things that can actually happen, like someone breaking into the house.

The lights went out a year or so ago and I just couldn't move.

Me too. I was going to give an example, but my example was way too awful for normal consumption. Let's just say that news stories about child abuse and sexual assault are huge triggers for me. I can't watch/read them anymore.
    So sorry to hear that. I hope you're doing ok these days...

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

Columbus is nicknamed the gay Capitol of the Midwest and the pride parade is HUGE here, I love it!' It's always such a blast- we still have three weeks to go!

The one in my city is in four weeks and I'm excited for that one because it's my favorite! I was on a float today which was just so much fun and probably burned all the calories from the champagne dancing.

Yay!! That sounds like so much fun!!
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've just booked a holiday to New York and I'm so excited to try all of the American foods and restaurants people post here that we don't get in the UK. I've been to Florida 3 times when I was in my teens but mostly we just lived off Denny's and Subway. This time I'm gonna take full advantage of the yummy foods. I need recommendations!

For example I've never had Key lime pie and everyone raves on about it! I'm dying to try it. Now obviously I know you can get that here but I'm holding out as I imagine it's so much better in the USA!

My elder son lives in Brooklyn and works in Manhattan, he is always trying new things. I'll ask him for some recommendations for you.

My DOH! would recommend Carnegie Deli but only if you are keen on a pound of corned beef.
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    ohgeeque wrote: »
    I've just booked a holiday to New York and I'm so excited to try all of the American foods and restaurants people post here that we don't get in the UK. I've been to Florida 3 times when I was in my teens but mostly we just lived off Denny's and Subway. This time I'm gonna take full advantage of the yummy foods. I need recommendations!

For example I've never had Key lime pie and everyone raves on about it! I'm dying to try it. Now obviously I know you can get that here but I'm holding out as I imagine it's so much better in the USA!

My elder son lives in Brooklyn and works in Manhattan, he is always trying new things. I'll ask him for some recommendations for you.

My DOH! would recommend Carnegie Deli but only if you are keen on a pound of corned beef.

Just make sure you get a New York style pizza- Ahhh my mouth is watering thinking of all he great food the city has to offer! I hope you have a blast!!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    As promised, pictures of my baby! I hope they show properly. :)

148ky92rki3r.jpg
    This was her the day I brought her home. Smaller than the palm of my hand!

exo2df344kkh.jpg
    Growing... :)

9wbpyqnumdzq.jpg

cv6zf8phkygx.jpg

These are comparison shots about two months apart, next to the same (mini) laptop. :)

I know, too many pictures... But she's just too cute not to share? ;)
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options

148ky92rki3r.jpg

exo2df344kkh.jpg

9wbpyqnumdzq.jpg

cv6zf8phkygx.jpg

These are comparison shots about two months apart, next to the same (mini) laptop. :)

ohhhhhh
    what a cute kitten. My son is very allergic othewise I'd have a kitty.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

ohhhhhh
    what a cute kitten. My son is very allergic othewise I'd have a kitty.

My husband is very allergic, too, so I had to give her up when I got married. :( Luckily, my sister has her, so I see her when I go home to visit family. She's almost 5 years old now, but still very tiny and petite (She weighs about 6 pounds soaking wet!). She never grew much since her mother abandoned her so young and she was pretty malnourished. :)
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    When I was done with my workout today, I yelled, "Hahahaha! F*** you, workout!" It made me feel better. I kicked that workout's a**.

I am irrationally angry over how much salt is in EVERYTHING. It is so annoying.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    97309imishb3.jpg

One of my only current photos, where she's looking annoyed because I kept trying to make her look at the camera... ;)
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    My confession is I wish the gym wouldn't allow kids in the pool. There are so many pools around that people could go to, I just don't understand why private gyms have to allow it too. If there was even one around that didn't it would be a serious factor for me. Today there were lessons in the pool and it was down to 2 lanes. I nearly put my swim off completely when I saw all the kids in the changing rooms, and cut it down from my planned 30 to 20 minutes because it was so loud. I went into the steam room and it was still really loud. Please tell me I'm not the only person who hates this!

No, you're not the only one. I do think there should be some places that are child-free. I know some fancier restaurants have this rule, and we have a movie theater that has an 18+section - no, it's not "those" kinds of movies :wink: , but they serve alcohol. There are plenty of places that allow and cater to kids, I don't see any reason why there can't be places for adults only.

LOL at bolded. I agree on adults only places. I want an adults only bouncy house!

this would be AWESOME!!!!

• Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I confess, I feel a poop coming on.

You're still slacking in the confessions department, Pancake.

I'm a very pure, innocent soul. Not much to confess. :)

That's not what you said a few pages ago! Spill it! And I don't mean what you just said in your previous post. That we don't need to hear about. Since you're still with us on this thread you might as well contribute something good!

Poop isn't good enough for you people? That usually knocks 'em dead most places. Tough crowd. Hmmm. Confessions, confessions, let me think...

I confess that my dad's a recovering alcoholic who got rid of all the pets I loved and my childhood home when I was younger because he needed to move to Florida to try and keep my mom from divorcing him. When he was down in Florida, I witnessed my dad have an alcoholic seizure in front of my girlfriend who was meeting my parents for the first time. That was quite a few years ago, so he is doing better now. Even though I love my dad, we don't talk very much because he lives with my mom in NC now. That makes me a little sad, and I probably still harbor anger and resentment towards him.

Good enough?

My father-in-law was an alcoholic, too. It messes up a family for sure.

You are officially a member of our group now.

As was my stepdad. A 12 pack every single day after work. A case a day on the weekend. Every weekend morning I remember the sound of a beer can popping open. Breakfast of champions, my azz!

My stepdad is an alcoholic too. He drinks as soon as he clocks out from work, all day on the weekends and pretty much any other time too. He has come to church functions, side jobs (he builds fences), birthday parties (kids), family gatherings, including Christmas morning, my 27th birthday party (where he called me a bit@h), and several other occasions drunk. He keeps a cooler of beer in my mom's car so he can drink while she drives. He ran into a bridge last week "because the sun was in his eyes", but I'm pretty sure that alcohol was involved. I refuse to let my daughter ride in the car with him while he's driving.

A friend of my dad's that he works with is an alcoholic, too. He drinks pretty much all day, every day. I've never seen him without a beer in his hand. I remember him pulling around a wagon with a case of beer when he would take his kids trick-or-treating.
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

148ky92rki3r.jpg

exo2df344kkh.jpg

9wbpyqnumdzq.jpg

cv6zf8phkygx.jpg

Oh my goodness!!! What kind of cat is she?! I want one she is too cute!!