Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Star fact: This is the 30100th post in this thread. Unless someone beat me to it.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    OMG! So, if you Google "shark eating chocolate powder while wearing a trash bag" several of the profile pics from this thread show up! @riderfangal, @Tubbs216, @m1xm0d3, @kelly_c_77

Bahaha! Just had to look for myself!

And now, I need to make these:
    full_9399_81767_CrochetedSharkSlipperSocks_2.jpg

I must confess, part of me thinks "That's cute". While the other part of me thinks "Look, a shark is eating a babies foot. That baby needs assistance. No, it's just a booty. That's freaky."

Same here! Although it was the 2 kids (teenagers, I think) that recently lost limbs due to shark bites that came to my mind. I cannot even imagine the trauma of that! But the booties are still cute.
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    I have a rant today:

I am having a "I hate diabetes' day.....not that I ever love it, but today it is really upsetting me.

This morning I slept in, it was the first day I did not have to get up and make lunch for my son. I came online for a bit and then noticed it was getting late and I had to get to my PT appt. So, I just had some toast for breakfast, LIKE A NORMAL PERSON MIGHT. I got into the shower,, and was so dizzy I nearly fell over. I felt sick for a long while. When I got to the office, I check my blood sugar and it is literally three times what it should be.

Why? Not because I did not take my shot or because I ate too much sugar....but because I did not have enough protein to slow the speed of the carbs in the rye toast (which has a lower GI level, which is why I eat it instead of my beloved "Italian" bread).

I have been sick all day because of that one mistake. It is after 6pm and I have not even been able to eat anything yet and I never made it to the gym. Even though my blood sugar is normal now, the rush high and crash low has made me tired and sick. I have a headache and just want to go to bed....

But, I must go put in the laundry now, and clean the kitchen, and deliver packages for our meeting next week.....UGH

That sounds horrible. Sorry I don't even know what else I can say. I just feel bad that you have to go through stuff like that...

Thanks, I am feeling much better today......90% of the time I am good, and I have had it so long it is just a part of life, like any other problem people have....but one in a while it makes me cranky :confounded:

Very understandable. :(
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    spamarie wrote: »
    Morning all. Just checking in. Meds taken. Am now going to walk up to Charlie's school to do swimming with his class. I do it every friday.

Sounds fun:). How hot is it in England during the summer?

Hah not very at the moment! It depends. It can vary but if it gets above about 23-25 celcius we view it as a heat wave and start panicking. It's not gotten above about 16 celcius where I live though, and that's below average even for us.

It's a glorious heatwave in the south. 22 today

Your high temp is lower than our low temp today. Looks like we are only get up to 96F today. It's been 100F or higher all week...could be worse. That's what @Susieq_1994 tells me!

Could be a heck of a lot worse. I WANT THAT 22! :o

You can come visit me -19 today and a balmy 16 tomorrow.

We can get up to 28 here in the summer with a humidex of 36 or so.

Wait, -19?! I thought it was supposed to be summer! O.o I think I might just die. I went to South Korea when it was -10 and I was wearing 6 layers of clothes and STILL wanted to die. :D

Sorry that was just a dash. +19 not minus.

You don't want to visit in January, ever.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Applying for a job in my field for the first time today.....kind of terrified. :|

Good luck!!!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    OMG! So, if you Google "shark eating chocolate powder while wearing a trash bag" several of the profile pics from this thread show up! @riderfangal, @Tubbs216, @m1xm0d3, @kelly_c_77

I must confess, part of me thinks "That's cute". While the other part of me thinks "Look, a shark is eating a babies foot. That baby needs assistance. No, it's just a booty. That's freaky."

Ha! So, until you said this, I didn't realize they were baby booties - I thought they were weird finger warmer things (the leg creases were knuckle creases). So my thought process was "Cute, but why would you want to wear sharks on your fingers like Bugles? That seems like a lot of work for something that would just sit on your desk or something."

Not kidding, I almost typed this same thing...then thought that you would all think I was crazy for not knowing it was a baby's foot.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Yay! @BZAH10, you topped page 1000! Super great!!!

Ah! My greatest accomplishment for a long time! I'm super happy!

Yayyyyy!!!! :)

Thanks! Have you completely recovered from whatever sickness you had? It sounded really bad. Hoping it is gone by now.

Today is the first day I feel "normal" which is good. However, I have no interest in eating any of my usual foods...which in a way might also be a good thing because the thought of eating sweet things is totally grossing me out and that is usually what I binge on (when I do). I haven't run since Monday morning. I did my circuit training this morning for the first time since being sick. Other than that, the only exercise I've gotten the last two days is walking with my son. So, it kind of worked out...because I definitely don't take rest days like I should.
    Thanks for asking!
    And by the way, I love your taste in sunglasses! :)

Thank you and I'm glad you're feeling bad to normal, almost. That kind of thing happens to me fairly severely every couple of years and generally it is my body telling me I need to make some dietary changes. My taste buds change, too, which is a very strange thing.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Work through lunch and go home at 2:20? Or go for a walk at lunch and go home at 2:50?

Always leave early.
  • FroggyBug
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    I know you hate people apologising for asking you questions, @Susieq_1994, but I only do because I feel like that stereotypical ignorant privileged white girl, and I don't want to offend.

So...there is that - robe, I'm sorry, I don't know the word for it - the long black one with the head and face covering. But it gets to 60C in Oman, right? So, um...how do the women not die of heatstroke?

That's alright, it doesn't offend me! :)

It's called an abaya, and most of them don't cover the head or face--They're basically just black dresses. I wear one myself. The headscarf and niqab (face covering) are all separate pieces. There is one that has a head covering attached as well, but these are mostly worn by older ladies, as it's just an older style.

That said, I wear the abaya and headscarf. I don't find it hot, personally--I actually find it cooler than when I wear "regular" clothing like skirts and blouses because the abaya tends to be very lightweight. It's also because I've been covering for a very long time--If I didn't cover, I'd probably feel hotter due to the sun burning my skin!

My sister wears a niqab, and according to her, it did feel very hot in the first week, but she says it doesn't feel like that anymore now that she's used to it.

Just an add-on: The abaya isn't a must, Islamically. Women are encouraged not to wear very bright colors for the purpose of attracting men (yes, men have a rule that involves not attracting women--it isn't a sexist rule), but you're allowed to wear whatever color you like, as long as you're covered properly.

I prefer the abaya in Saudi Arabia because everyone wears it (I've seen like... two people so far that didn't... Even the non-Muslims wear it!) and I just don't want to stand out. In Oman, I often wear regular colored dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. Unless I'm lazy. Because the abaya is really easy to just throw on and be done. ;)

Can I ask some follow ups? You say your sister wears a niqab; was that something she decided to do as an adult? And how did she come to that decision? And are you wearing your regular clothes under the abaya? Or is it like a "dress".

Thanks for educating me! :)

Yes, she decided to start wearing it two years ago. Nobody else in our family wears it and she's unmarried, so nobody influenced her in that decision--in Islam there are some scholars (I refuse to count the Sheikh Google people...) who believe the niqab is obligatory, and others who believe it is simply recommended based on evidence from the Qur'an and hadith. After doing some studying, my sister chose to go with the scholars who believe it's obligatory, and began covering her face from then on.

You do have to wear clothing under an abaya--it's basically a cover, but the material is too thin to wear with nothing but underwear underneath, for example. I usually wear jeans and a tank top underneath it--since we have to remain covered, it's best to have your legs covered in case the wind blows it up, for example. :) But I would wear the same under a dress, actually, although I would probably wear cotton pants underneath in that case.

Oh, can I ask if you have one of these? I've always wondered if it was hard to swim in the modest suits, because of the extra fabric:

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

Nope, I don't own one--those suits actually don't meet the fardh (obligatory) requirements for modest clothing for women, especially because they cling when they're wet, and the shape of the body is revealed, which is the major requirement of covering.

If I'm going to swim, I swim in an all-women's facility with a modest swimsuit (even women aren't supposed to reveal nakedness to other women) or just jump into the ocean fully clothed because that's fun. ;)

Am I the only one who loves being naked? I don't know why but I do! Could be because ( I know I say this a lot but it's true) I really have no shame...haters going to hate!

I love being naked! When I am home alone or just with the SO, I often am sans clothes.

I know I stated it really early on in the thread too, but I also swim at the Y in the winter and have no problem using the public showers and change rooms....like seriously, we are not in there to check each other out, if you don't like it, don't look.

I love that saying (my mom used to say that-if you don't like it, don't look). I just wish I could live by that saying. I'm still so self conscious even though I know I shouldn't care what others think of me.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    I skipped ahead when I saw page 1000! Cool.

Confession: I am getting kind of mad because I've told a few coworkers that I've lost weight but they don't seem to care. I think it is because I look pretty much the same. I've lost about 35 lbs this year. It would be nice to hear a "good job" or something. They just don't say anything. I was telling them because my doctor said that probably is helping my knee feel better more than anything else is. :(

The company picnic is today. I'm not sure if I'm going or not...

Go and have fun! If you want to. 35 lbs. is super great! I'm guessing no one says anything because 1) they are jealous, or 2) they don't want to offend you. Doesn't matter! Still a huge accomplishment and you don't need their acknowledgement to be successful, obviously! You just come to this thread and we will provide that for you.

I'm going to the picnic for a few. I just never do well in big groups (about 500 people are going...)

Thanks for the "super great" comment. It made me laugh.

HATE large groups. Hate chit chatting while trying to carry around a plate of food and a drink. Yep, I'm a picnic Grinch. But, hopefully you will enjoy the time while you're there.
  • kelly_c_77
    Options

Ha! So, until you said this, I didn't realize they were baby booties - I thought they were weird finger warmer things (the leg creases were knuckle creases). So my thought process was "Cute, but why would you want to wear sharks on your fingers like Bugles? That seems like a lot of work for something that would just sit on your desk or something."

Not kidding, I almost typed this same thing...then thought that you would all think I was crazy for not knowing it was a baby's foot.

ETA: Apparently, others thought the same too!
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Wow, what happened to the juicy confessions? LOL....

I don't know what to confess. I'm pretty sure i only log weight losses not gains. So if there is a gap in my log, that's what happened....bumping up, going silent.

I mostly control my food nowadays, but I've had plenty of binges over the years.

In the past I would eat every snicker bar in the house, and then go to the store to get more to carefully replace the 'inventory' - I wasn't fooling anyone of course.

I do the same! If I havent lost anything or my weight has gone up, I dont log it, but then it can go back down/stay the same the next day due to fluctuations, so unless there is an upward trend for a few days I dont bother logging. It's much more motivational to see a downward trend than one thats all over the place! haha
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    spamarie wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    My confession is I have stretch marks literally ALL over my body. I have them on my boobs, stomach, thighs, and all over my back. Never pregnant, just formerly morbidly obese. I know stretch marks are normal but when they cover the majority of your body, it's a little overwhelming to accept that. I never took care of myself/my body as a teenager and unfortunately I can't do anything about the damage that has been done. What a great wish it would be to be able to go back in time and have a second chance with your body. I wish I knew then what I know now...but what can ya do? I am only 22 and I feel as if my body is just ruined. I don't feel comfortable in my own skin, it's honestly a very sad situation. You only get one body, and I messed mine up, there's no turning back really. As you can tell I have a lot of regrets. I also deal with loose skin but that's a whole other story on it's own. Hopefully at some point in my life I will feel better about my body and learn to accept it as who I am, but that hasn't happened yet.

Unfortunately, this is me as well. I do have some hope that the stretch marks will fade away and the skin will tighten up, because I'm only twenty. Twenty two isn't much older, so why give up hope? :)

SusieQ, I had no idea you were only 20!!! (Sorry if the 'only' sounds condescending, not intended. I am literally twice your age ;) ) Have you been married very long?

I guess she was from the 1994 in her handle...are you turning the big 2-1 this year?!

That I am, in October. Although it's not really a big thing for me, since 21 is usually only a big date because people are legal drinkers then. :) Although I DO become eligible to apply for a free government-issued piece of land, the right of every Omani citizen, when I turn 21. ;)

I assumed it was your birthdate as well but never thought much about how old that made you. How long have you been married? And is it normal for a Muslim woman to be married that young? And to something you said a long time ago (before I got so behind) you are very mature for your age. :)

Not necessarily Muslim women, but Arab women, yes. Early marriage is encouraged in Islam, since extramarital relationships are forbidden and it's pretty hard for most people to remain celibate for so many years after puberty. But the average age of marriage is different in each culture, and not necessarily dictated by religion.

A sad fact: The age of marriage is getting higher in the Arab world only because most young men can no longer afford to get married. Fathers are demanding crazy-high dowries (a girl is eligible for a dowry in Islam, and she is the one who's supposed to pick it and the money/gift is supposed to be hers alone, but some selfish families demand high dowries and then the father keeps it, saying that it's his payback for all the years of taking care of his daughter. Yes, seriously. -_-), along with demands of gold jewellery, a huge wedding, a new wardrobe... And all of it is supposed to come out of the young man's pockets. This is very contrary to Islam's teachings and makes me quite angry; most men have to take a loan just to get married!

My father demanded a 6000 ($16000) Omani rial dowry (meant to be mine, he wouldn't touch the money), because he didn't want to look bad by "giving his daughter away cheaply" <--- Another stupid cultural thing. But since Islamically the dowry is my choice... I took the 6000 for the sake of appearance to appease my dad, then secretly returned every penny of it to my husband after the wedding was over. I also had a super tiny wedding and insisted on paying for it myself, with any money I had left from my years of working (I had to stop due to my FND, but I've worked since I was 15). I also refused new clothing/jewellery/etc. I find it so stupid and wasteful.

I've been married for 1.5 years, as you'll see as you get further back into the thread. ;)

I found of this super educational. It's good to know that dowries etc. are not necessarily tied to the religion rather than the culture, and that not everyone thinks alike.

I also find it interesting how people always make assumptions about others, it seems no matter what our background. I got married at a relatively young age for where I live (I was 23). I'm an atheist so there was no religious reasoning behind it. Everyone assumed I must be pregnant (nope, that happened 6 years later). I don't understand why people couldn't simply assume the reason I married was because I found the guy I expect to spend the rest of my life with. Why would they try to come up with alternative theories?

Like you, I also had a tiny wedding as I didn't want to spend loads of money on one day when we had so much more to spend it on (like a house!). The small and cheap nature of the day (but it was wonderful!) only added fuel to the accidental pregnancy theories. At least my dad didn't follow that assumption, he knows me better than most!

I don't think it's negative assumptions I will say from my perspective I have changed so much and done so much since I was 19-20 that to get married at that time was nearly unheard of with my friends and acquaintances and in today's society I am always surprised. And almost no one assumes pregnancy any more as the are so many options with that. But I also live in the tri-state area. I know other places those assumptions still exist. Even in the outer edges of my state.

I second this! It's so interesting learning about other peoples lives and cultures from first hand person experiences :) I feel like you guys have educated me a lot through this thread haha.

I kinda agree, although I'm at the age (21) where a lot of my school friends/acquaintances are getting engaged, and there still seems to be a lot of judgement about it among mutual friends. Not so much the assumption that people are pregnant, but people seem to think it's very young to be getting engaged/having kids etc, which I find quite strange as my parents got engaged when my mum was 18! haha
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I know you hate people apologising for asking you questions, @Susieq_1994, but I only do because I feel like that stereotypical ignorant privileged white girl, and I don't want to offend.

So...there is that - robe, I'm sorry, I don't know the word for it - the long black one with the head and face covering. But it gets to 60C in Oman, right? So, um...how do the women not die of heatstroke?

That's alright, it doesn't offend me! :)

It's called an abaya, and most of them don't cover the head or face--They're basically just black dresses. I wear one myself. The headscarf and niqab (face covering) are all separate pieces. There is one that has a head covering attached as well, but these are mostly worn by older ladies, as it's just an older style.

That said, I wear the abaya and headscarf. I don't find it hot, personally--I actually find it cooler than when I wear "regular" clothing like skirts and blouses because the abaya tends to be very lightweight. It's also because I've been covering for a very long time--If I didn't cover, I'd probably feel hotter due to the sun burning my skin!

My sister wears a niqab, and according to her, it did feel very hot in the first week, but she says it doesn't feel like that anymore now that she's used to it.

Just an add-on: The abaya isn't a must, Islamically. Women are encouraged not to wear very bright colors for the purpose of attracting men (yes, men have a rule that involves not attracting women--it isn't a sexist rule), but you're allowed to wear whatever color you like, as long as you're covered properly.

I prefer the abaya in Saudi Arabia because everyone wears it (I've seen like... two people so far that didn't... Even the non-Muslims wear it!) and I just don't want to stand out. In Oman, I often wear regular colored dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. Unless I'm lazy. Because the abaya is really easy to just throw on and be done. ;)

Can I ask some follow ups? You say your sister wears a niqab; was that something she decided to do as an adult? And how did she come to that decision? And are you wearing your regular clothes under the abaya? Or is it like a "dress".

Thanks for educating me! :)

Yes, she decided to start wearing it two years ago. Nobody else in our family wears it and she's unmarried, so nobody influenced her in that decision--in Islam there are some scholars (I refuse to count the Sheikh Google people...) who believe the niqab is obligatory, and others who believe it is simply recommended based on evidence from the Qur'an and hadith. After doing some studying, my sister chose to go with the scholars who believe it's obligatory, and began covering her face from then on.

You do have to wear clothing under an abaya--it's basically a cover, but the material is too thin to wear with nothing but underwear underneath, for example. I usually wear jeans and a tank top underneath it--since we have to remain covered, it's best to have your legs covered in case the wind blows it up, for example. :) But I would wear the same under a dress, actually, although I would probably wear cotton pants underneath in that case.

Oh, can I ask if you have one of these? I've always wondered if it was hard to swim in the modest suits, because of the extra fabric:

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

Nope, I don't own one--those suits actually don't meet the fardh (obligatory) requirements for modest clothing for women, especially because they cling when they're wet, and the shape of the body is revealed, which is the major requirement of covering.

If I'm going to swim, I swim in an all-women's facility with a modest swimsuit (even women aren't supposed to reveal nakedness to other women) or just jump into the ocean fully clothed because that's fun. ;)

Am I the only one who loves being naked? I don't know why but I do! Could be because ( I know I say this a lot but it's true) I really have no shame...haters going to hate!

I love being naked! When I am home alone or just with the SO, I often am sans clothes.

I know I stated it really early on in the thread too, but I also swim at the Y in the winter and have no problem using the public showers and change rooms....like seriously, we are not in there to check each other out, if you don't like it, don't look.

I love that saying (my mom used to say that-if you don't like it, don't look). I just wish I could live by that saying. I'm still so self conscious even though I know I shouldn't care what others think of me.

I'm the same...trying to work on it though.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Applying for a job in my field for the first time today.....kind of terrified. :|

That's exciting, good luck!!
  • FroggyBug
    edited June 2015
    Options

Wow, I'm blind...I thought it was a little tiny shark on someone's finger tip. I was wondering why it was bent on the bottom.
  • kelly_c_77
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yay! @BZAH10, you topped page 1000! Super great!!!

Ah! My greatest accomplishment for a long time! I'm super happy!

Yayyyyy!!!! :)

Thanks! Have you completely recovered from whatever sickness you had? It sounded really bad. Hoping it is gone by now.

Today is the first day I feel "normal" which is good. However, I have no interest in eating any of my usual foods...which in a way might also be a good thing because the thought of eating sweet things is totally grossing me out and that is usually what I binge on (when I do). I haven't run since Monday morning. I did my circuit training this morning for the first time since being sick. Other than that, the only exercise I've gotten the last two days is walking with my son. So, it kind of worked out...because I definitely don't take rest days like I should.
    Thanks for asking!
    And by the way, I love your taste in sunglasses! :)

Thank you and I'm glad you're feeling bad to normal, almost. That kind of thing happens to me fairly severely every couple of years and generally it is my body telling me I need to make some dietary changes. My taste buds change, too, which is a very strange thing.

Yeah, I'm taking it as a good thing. Although vomiting that hard was traumatizing, it has made me take a rest from working out, sleep (I usually don't get nearly enough which was becoming a problem. But, I got almost 30 hours from Monday through Wednesday!!!), and now switch up my eating.
    Good to know that the taste buds switching gears happened to you too..I thought it was so strange.
  • FroggyBug
    edited June 2015
    Options

OMG thank you! Now I don't feel so bad!

Edited to add: I'm so glad I wasn't the only one. Yay!
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options

Confession: I am getting kind of mad because I've told a few coworkers that I've lost weight but they don't seem to care. I think it is because I look pretty much the same. I've lost about 35 lbs this year. It would be nice to hear a "good job" or something. They just don't say anything. I was telling them because my doctor said that probably is helping my knee feel better more than anything else is. :(

Go and have fun! If you want to. 35 lbs. is super great! I'm guessing no one says anything because 1) they are jealous, or 2) they don't want to offend you. Doesn't matter! Still a huge accomplishment and you don't need their acknowledgement to be successful, obviously! You just come to this thread and we will provide that for you.

I'm going to the picnic for a few. I just never do well in big groups (about 500 people are going...)

HATE large groups. Hate chit chatting while trying to carry around a plate of food and a drink. Yep, I'm a picnic Grinch. But, hopefully you will enjoy the time while you're there.

I hate picnics too! There are always flies and bees and random other bugs and where I live it's always hot. I don't like to eat outside in general because well, the aforementioned random bugs and temperature. And outside tables at restaurants are never clean. As I'm typing this I realized I was making a disgusted face, so I'm a grinch too!
  • FroggyBug
    Options

At least it gets me out of work for a couple hours. :)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options

I hate picnics too! There are always flies and bees and random other bugs and where I live it's always hot. I don't like to eat outside in general because well, the aforementioned random bugs and temperature. And outside tables at restaurants are never clean. As I'm typing this I realized I was making a disgusted face, so I'm a grinch too!

OMG, I hate bugs. Yes, I realize this is strange what with keeping bees on the property and all. But the bees are cool; it's the other ones that find me tasty. That insect sting/bite/whatever that sent me to immediate care a couple of days ago continues to be an issue. It's covering my whole knee and is super inflamed and painful. I guess I'll have to fill the scrip after all. Hate bugs AND having to take antibiotics.