June 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Happy to hear everything is in working order @Tramboman :)
    Very nice long run @WhatMeRunning!

Nothing spectacular, but was hoping for a couple more miles. Right toe started getting a blister about mile 8 and it just kept hurting more and more so decided to just cut it after 13.2. It was miserably hot too, so I was fine with stopping. But hit my monthly goal, so I'm fine with that.

exercise.png

Well done on goal. Maybe you could lend me some distance...
  • runsrunsruns
    runsrunsruns Posts: 15 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @Tramboman - 2nd in age group & 13th in >40. That's AMAZING! You should be very proud. I wouldn't even place in the upper 50% of any race I entered, so I'm super jealous. Congrats!

@shanaberHope - I really hope your recovery goes smoothly. And going forward, I think the difficulty of receiving one-on-one medical attention will ease as COVID rates continue to fall freeing up more medical staff.

@WhatMeRunning - You just keep punchin' out those miles. Really impressed.

@Scott6255 runs a casual HM in the heat w/ blisters. Rockstar!

@pfeiferlindseyp - Congrats on completing your training cycle healthy! That's already a win in my book :). And why are you nervous? Going by your training log, finishing isn't going to be an issue. What's your goal time? Race plan? Do you plan on running neg splits?

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,979 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Glad everything is in working order after your race @Tramboman .

Nice running and congrats on making your goal for the month @Scott6255 .

Probably smart @WhatMeRunning ! Great job on the 10.5 miles!

@pfeiferlindsey Good luck on your HM next week.

• Tramboman
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    June Goal: 116 Miles

6/1: 6.10 miles
    6/2: 5.11 miles
    6/3: 5.35 miles
    6/6: 11.02 miles
    6/8: 3.12 miles
    6/9: 6.22 miles
    6/10: 6.55 miles
    6/13: 11.03 miles
    6/15: 6.26 miles
    6/16: 6.25 miles
    6/17: 6.05 miles
    6/20: 10.04 miles
    6/23: 5.03 miles
    6/24: 2.4 miles
    6/27: 10.07 miles

99.59/116  miles completed for June

I got out and ran 10 miles this morning.  Overall it was a good run.  It was 74°F feels like 76 with 85% humidity and a dew point of 70°, so not the most pleasant weather,  but it was overcast and actually sprinkling a bit when I started out, so it wasn't unbearable.  I started out planning to run at least 80 minutes (for the Strava long run challenge) but kept adding to my run. At about 35 minutes I saw a rainbow so I decided to turn back when I couldn't see it any longer. It was covered by clouds pretty quickly,  but then I  decided to at least get to the Mexican restaurant we like to eat at. Then I wanted to go far enough to see the horses that I usually see on my Sunday run. By the time I turned  towards home I knew I would be able to get close to 9 miles. Then I decided if I was going to run 9 miles I might as well round it up to a 15K.  When I got home I was at 9.5 so I decided to go around a couple of blocks and make it an even 10. It is funny sometimes the games we play with ourselves to motivate us during a run. I did feel a lot better than I was earlier this week. I was really slow, but that could be as much from the heat as anything and I did feel like I was back to myself.
    788alo6sowsn.jpg
    nvab8eny17uu.jpg
    Today is my mom's 77th birthday.  It is her first birthday without my dad so my 4 sisters and I rented a cabin at the lake and we are going out there to have a girls night at the lake with her. My daughter came in from Austin for it and my niece is also coming with her almost 2 year old daughter. My mom has no idea we are all getting together. We are heading out there in a couple of hours. I'm really excited to see her face when she gets there.

exercise.png

2021 Races:
    4/24/21: Run For The Children 10K PR 55:46:28.
    11/6/21: Run For 57th AHC Half Marathon

Girls night at the lake sounds fantastic!!!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Morning all

Today is day 4 of following my watch.
    First was a 50 min base run, then a 36 min base run. Yesterday was supposed to be an interval run but I only managed the first interval - didn't leave enough space after breakfast and it nearly bounced. So last night I played indoor netball and that gave basically the same effect.

Today I thought would be a rest day but nope, 1hr and 1min base run

I think my watch has gone bananas!

We were made smarter than our watches so we could tell THEM what to do, not vice versa.

Bahaha yep. I suspect tomorrow will be a rest day, and that works with my usual schedule. I actually want a good run, and I've shifted to productive training status for the first time in ages so...
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @kgirlhart I'm glad you are feeling normal again and great run! Love your thought process during the run too. The horse and rainbow are so pretty. Enjoy your evening with your family. Happy Birthday to your mom. Those firsts are hard, so hugs to her too.

@Avidkeo 1hr, 1 min. That is a little crazy. How did the run go?

Today is a rest day, so just did a 1.0 mile walk in the field after church and lunch with mom.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @kgirlhart I'm glad you are feeling normal again and great run! Love your thought process during the run too. The horse and rainbow are so pretty. Enjoy your evening with your family. Happy Birthday to your mom. Those firsts are hard, so hugs to her too.

@Avidkeo 1hr, 1 min. That is a little crazy. How did the run go?

Today is a rest day, so just did a 1.0 mile walk in the field after church and lunch with mom.

Nah not going. I need the rest day. Muscles are sore after netball yesterday! As @Tramboman said, we are supposed to be smarter than our watches!
  • Tramboman
    Options
    Congratulations @Tramboman ! Great job meeting your time goal!

@Avidkeo it would drive me nuts not knowing ahead of time what the workout was going to be. My personality likes to plan. But something like what you're doing could be a good way to shake things up.

SUCCESS! This weekend's half marathon was great! Long version under spoiler:
    Everything WizzAir Katowice did wrong last week, the organizers in Rybnik this week got right and better. The course was meticulously marked & secured, they not only moved me once from the 10k to the half marathon, but then when they published a shorter time limit for the last wave at the last minute (2:30 instead of 3 hours - I figured I'd be fine, but if anything went wrong I didn't want that added stress), they made a last minute switch and had a note at packet pickup to switch me to an earlier wave starting at 10:45 pm. It was a looped 10.7k course - 1 loop for 10+K runners, and 2 loops for 3 waves of half marathon runners, starting at 45-30 minute intervals. They had separate finish and start areas and everything was laid out very well.

Shortly after I arrived, we got word that a girl from running club that we'd been following, had just finished her 120km race in Italy, up and down one mountain after another, in 23-something hours. Wow!

Some people from the running club were doing the 10k, so I got a picture with them and then saw them off before my start. The race itself went well, holding that "easy" pace from the beginning got progressively more challenging, as it should, but the spectators were more lively on the second loop, making it interesting and more fun. My favorite was probably the guy whose garden plot was next to the route, who had taken the big spout end off of a plastic watering can, and was playing it like a trumpet, LOL. There were also some real musicians along the route, and they played the whole time, which I appreciated. The moon was really pretty, and we got to go through the old town square. The route seemed mostly flat, compared to what I've gotten used to lately.

Time-wise, I wasn't really going for anything specific, but "decent" for me is under 2:20. Towards the end, I really only wanted to finish somewhere ahead of a group that didn't seem to be taking it very seriously and yet still kept passing me 😆 because of their run/walk strategy (which is a totally legit method for running, btw). I eventually got away from them, but could still hear them talking behind me and was worried they'd ditch the walk intervals and blow past me at the end. They didn't :) The most difficult part of the loop was in the final 2km, when you go past the finish area and up a loooong hill before turning around and coming back down to the finish. On the way up I actually started walking briefly, before realizing that it was a bad idea and I understood what @MobyCarp said that one time about a tough race when he "kept running, so that he could keep running".

I was very happy with my effort, and my time of 2:15:33 was decent for me - not my best, not my worst. This medal gets a prominent spot on the rack with my other half marathon medals. Then I had some yummy soup & bread in the refreshment area with some guys from running club who also did the half, before going home and trying to get some sleep before work today.

Pics:
    0ecp4dhlysv2.jpg
    tu3e0cwpfd4r.jpg
    eiacbot9tovf.jpg

The whole experience was so refreshing after last week's organizational disaster.

June Goal 100 miles (stretch goal 184k)

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    June 26: Rybnicki "Moonlight" HM ✅ DONE!
    July 10: Pszczyński Cross 30k
    August 14: Bieg Zbóju 25km (mountain trail, 1400m elevation)

Great running!!!!!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Way to go @polskagirl01 Way to keep running up that final hill and getting a great finish time!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @teresa502 Yeah for kayaking. Sounds like fun, even if the lake was super busy. Hammock camping sounds interesting. Glad the weather was good. What do you do if it rains?

Congratulations on your HM @polskagirl01 ! Glad it was well organized and they accommodated the changes you needed. Nice bling too.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Great job on your HM @polskagirl01!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Woo hoo @polskagirl love the pics
  • runsrunsruns
    runsrunsruns Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 - Fantastic race report. That part about not wanting to get beat by a bunch of guys clowning around had me in stitches. Just too funny. And I REALLY like the design of that race shirt. Congrats on a successful race.

@Teresa502 - Kayaking looks like fun and a great workout. Not so sure about doing it on a busy lake filled with boaters, and my experience crazy jet skiers though.

C25k Week 3 finished. 2.67‬ mi. (2.31 run/.36 walk)
  • Tramboman
    Options
    6-1 7k tempo
    6-2 rest
    6-3 7k tempo
    6-4 6k tempo
    6-5 7k tempo
    6-6 6k tempo
    6-7 rest
    6-8 7k tempo
    6-9 6k tempo
    6-10 rest
    6-11 6k temperate (between tempo and moderate)
    6-12 7k moderate
    6-13 7k moderate
    6-14 rest
    6-15 7k temperate
    6-16 7k moderate
    6-17 rest
    6-18 7k moderate
    6-19 6k moderate
    6-20 7k moderate
    6-21 rest
    6-22 7k tempo
    6-23 7k easy
    6-24 rest
    6-25 4k variety
    6-26 5k race
    6-27 6k recovery
    6-28 rest

June Total: 119k
    June Goal: 150k

Rest day today. Golf instead of running.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH 31:48 chip; 31:59 Garmin; 2d male 65 and over
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH
    9/18 5k Run and Roll, Aurora, OH