Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel, as a society we are raising generations of sissies who can't handle losing or rejection. In life there are winners and losers and when you start working for a living, your boss isn't going to care if you feel if you are being left out.

AGREED. This "everyone gets a trophy" crap, etc. is ridiculous. Your kid isn't going to be friends with the entire class.

When I was in 10th grade, party invites got passed around our lunch table and out of the six of us, I was the only one not invited. Then the girl invited me because she felt bad; I declined because if I was wanted there, I would have been invited to begin with. It was awkward and embarrassing in the moment, but I got over it.

I think inviting out of pity or to prevent hurt feelings is not the lesser of two evils in this case.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have no friends, I never TEXT or have a face book. No siblings.

90% of my friends on Facebook are other twin moms I've met online and never met in real life, even though a couple of them live less than an hour away. 8% are my husband's friends or family, and the last 2% is my family and friends - my mom, my sister (who I see every 3 year and email maybe 3x a year), my mom's boyfriend, a few school friends I haven't seen in 20-23 years, a childhood friend I haven't seen in 15 years, and a college friend I only see when I go back home, which is every 5 years or something... the only persons I actually talk to on a regular basis are two other moms from my kids' school... that's it, and I wouldn't really consider them 'friends'.

The only people I text are my husband and my kids' swim instructor to schedule our sessions, lol (and maybe occasionally another mom to schedule a play date). It's sad.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I think I have 4 MFP friends. Eh... like most things in life, quality over quantity. Unless it's food. In that case, quantity over quality. (Doesn't matter how I got there, I just gotta feel full when I am done) lmao
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Good parenting confession here:

My 14yo (nearly 15) daughter is reading "A Game of Thrones" (Book one of the series "A Song of Ice and Fire" for all you folks who only watch the TV series) and we are letting her watch the series with us (so far, due to schedules, we've only watched the first one of the series).

My now 12yo has been watching RuPaul's Drag Race with me on and off since season 1. I tend to fall in the if it's not killing them, they'll be fine, school of parenting.

I've let my 9 year old watch The Walking Dead with me because I go to the same parenting school. He thinks he's the coolest kid ever.

I remember my sister & I watching Beverly Hills 90210 & Melrose Place with my mom when we were growing up.

I was so pissed when Dylan chose Kelly.
  • brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

My 14yo (nearly 15) daughter is reading "A Game of Thrones" (Book one of the series "A Song of Ice and Fire" for all you folks who only watch the TV series) and we are letting her watch the series with us (so far, due to schedules, we've only watched the first one of the series).

My now 12yo has been watching RuPaul's Drag Race with me on and off since season 1. I tend to fall in the if it's not killing them, they'll be fine, school of parenting.

I've let my 9 year old watch The Walking Dead with me because I go to the same parenting school. He thinks he's the coolest kid ever.

I have three male teenagers and when they were young, 1st grade plus, they watched nearly everything I watched. I never hid them from any of the supposedly grown up stuff...Horror, Sci-fi, movies with adult situations, pretty much anything. I guess only time will tell, but they are currently 3 very well behaved, well rounded, and intelligent individuals capable of making decisions and have their own minds and ideas. They are my favorite people.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    brandi9172 wrote: »

I have three male teenagers and when they were young, 1st grade plus, they watched nearly everything I watched. I never hid them from any of the supposedly grown up stuff...Horror, Sci-fi, movies with adult situations, pretty much anything. I guess only time will tell, but they are currently 3 very well behaved, well rounded, and intelligent individuals capable of making decisions and have their own minds and ideas. They are my favorite people.

I did the same with my kids. I now have two very well-adjusted, independent grown kids (21 year old daughter, 20 year old son).

I also never helicoptered them. School was their responsibility when they started bringing homework. It was THEIR homework, not mine. I was a single mother, I didn't have time to try to have a career and do my kids' homework. It drives me crazy when friends on FB talk about how much work they're doing on their kids' school projects. It's the STUDENT's responsibility!!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Lefty1290 wrote: »
    Confession time!

I avoid letting people I socialize with know that I'm dieting. I'm visibly significantly overweight and I hate having to deal with comments like: Already lean people saying things like "Oh, you're SO LUCKY because when you have THAT MUCH to lose, it just falls off! I've been trying to lose these last 3 pounds for months, etc etc!" (or alternately, "I should diet too, I just feel SO FAT when I get over 110, it's disgusting..."), condescending "Good for you, honey!" type comments, non scientific advice about 'good carbs'/paleo/vegan/faddietoftheday, general discussion of my eating/body/fatness, and how I have "a pretty face" and am "going to be so cute once I lose the pounds!" Somehow just being fat doesn't bring about this conversation, but anyone getting wind that I'm trying to lose weight does.... I don't get it.

I skip social situations or save up calories so I can eat what other people are eating, just to avoid having these conversations.

Every day on these boards I read about all the insensitive and rude remarks people make to others and now it's making me believe that any health and nutrition education needs to be supplemented with some manners courses and common sense training. Too bad that will never happen.

It's so true. People have no filter. I don't understand how so many people missed the lesson that you don't have to say everything that pops into your head out loud, especially if it's unkind.

A guy in my sister's dorm laundry room told her, "If you were skinny, I would ask you out because you have a gorgeous face. You are really beautiful for a fat girl."

As if she is an anomaly because only thin girls are pretty.

I feel so bad that she gets stared at in the gym because gyms are only for people who are already thin, right?

That is stupid, awful, terrible, ridiculous. What a tool.
    For so many moments in life, I wish it were possible to 'go back in time', record a specific exchange, and then have a kind of impromptu Nightmare-Of-A-Talk-Show, in which I visit the parents of an insensitive *kitten*, and... with their now-an-adult (<-- technically) child present, say, "aaaaand... roll tape...!" -- and then proceed to listen to a recording which -- unbeknownst to them -- is a recording of their son or daughter... and with the voice altered somewhat, so that the parents don't recognize it in any way... and then ask the parents, "so... would your son/daughter ever say such a thing...?" -- and then watch as so many smilingly offer any of various forms of, ~'why, of course not...' -- and then replay the recording, with the *real* voice 'on display'... and then watch the smiles fade from their faces... and then shoot a look of *you're-a-jacka$$* 'at' the jerk in question... and then pick up my gear, annoyingly announce something along the lines of, ~"well, my job is done here...", and then 'take my leave'...

(...though the sad thing is, there would be parents who wouldn't see what the problem was/is... or care...)

(...this all reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw years ago... which said -- Mean People Suck... and oh, do they ever...)

I am always cheering for the heavier people at the gym. I want to go up and tell them "good job" but I feel like they will think I'm being sarcastic or something.
    Me, too... I go ahead and 'send positive energy', so to speak... and sometimes 'say' positive things 'in my mind', 'to' them (not that I think they can hear me, mind you... but things that I'm naturally thinking, and wish I could communicate to them, from wherever I happen to be, to wherever they happen to be, in the gym)... and every once in a while, I get up the nerve to say something (positive, truthful, and that occurs to me in conjunction with something I notice about them) that I think a total stranger would be fine with (as long as I don't 'sense' any 'stay the heck away' vibes)...

...such as... this one time, when a woman who spent a solid 20 minutes on the stepmill next to me, was done -- and I saw it as an okay time to quickly convey something I was thinking (I can't help noticing aspects of cardio fitness, and especially when it comes to stepmill and stepper/climber equipment, which I'm quite familiar with, and love kicking-my-butt with/'on')... and I said, ~"excuse me -- I just had to ask -- are you aware of just how awesome your cardio fitness is?" -- and she seemed surprised, and slowly shook her head -- and then I continued... and asked her how long she'd been doing stepmill cardio (which is really a form of strength+cardio, when it comes down to it), and she conveyed that it had been "about a year"... and then I couldn't help stating to her... that regardless of whatever pace anyone might choose... keeping up with that activity -- of 'climbing' -- for 20 straight minutes -- let alone to not be 'out of breath' (!) -- was impressive as all-get-out... and that I'd bet that most people either of us would cross paths with in daily life couldn't do what she had just done -- and no matter their age... she was around my age, and I felt completely justified in saying to her that she could 'school' just about anyone half her age, when it came to doing what she'd just done... and then I felt compelled to 'inform'(/'warn' ;) ) her... that if she didn't want me referring to her as Steptastica-The-Cardio-Goddess, the next time I saw her, then she'd have to let me know of an alternative name she might prefer... ;)

(...and now we greet each other with waving and chitter-chatter, when we see each other at the gym... :) )

Whaaaaaat???? That is quite impressive! I've been tackling that thing lately, but I am a sweaty mess. Very nice of you to acknowledge her and to do it so tactfully.

Yep... she was going at a relatively slow pace, but she kept it up 'metronomically' -- she had a specific pace that she was keeping, and she kept it up for the entire default session (of 20 minutes)... and even though it was one of the slowest levels that the machine could be set at, I *know* that even at slow speeds, doing that form of step-based 'climbing' for 20 minutes will ultimately tend to 'kick someone's butt' (that is, unless they've cardiovascularly adapted, and their legs have acclimated to repeated sessions of such, and have the relevant strength, etc., to maintain the activity for 20 minutes)... the fact that she wasn't out of breath 'got my attention'... and knowing that I'd been next to her during her entire session, I knew she'd maintained that pace 'like a clock', and never wavered... it was impressive... and I wanted to make sure she heard from at least one person that what she'd done was exceptional... (and awesome! :) )

And a reality is... that going up even one more level, can and does 'alter' 'everything', when it comes to the body's response to such... so if someone stays at one of the slowest levels (and she did), one would ultimately 'adapt' to such (and she did (at some point during the ~1 year timeframe of her doing stepmill sessions))...

I know that some people are comfortable utilizing one of the slowest speeds, and 'getting their time in', so to speak (and that's fine, of course... am merely contrasting that with 'pushing' the challenge, over time, after 'adapting' to a given level and/or amount of time, etc.)... as for me, I do a 'mix'... and include some 'interval' -type 'throwdowns' (as I think of them ;) ), in which I set it at a speed that is *near* the top of what I can maintain for a minute (barely), and I go every-other-step, and almost as fast as I (safely, reliably) can, and essentially 'race climb' for a solid minute... and then let my heart rate come down to a specific level (which takes about a minute)... and then I get back on the machine, increase the speed by 1 level, and do another minute of 'race climbing'... and I do 5 of those 'intervals' (and at the end of such, am 'breathing my lungs out', and can 'hear my quads scream' (especially given that I get some time on the bike in, before doing my 'race climbing', which is also after at least 2 sessions on the stepmill and/or stepper/climber -- and the 'race climbing' is how I 'close out' my time on the stepmill, for that day (before doing a final 'circulate that blood!' session on the bike (I find that my 'recovery' from leg-centric strength+cardio is better if/when/after I get in a final session on the bike, to 'get things moving around the body', and even if I'm so spent I can't pedal for more than 10 minutes)))...

Okay, well I feel better then. I cannot do the same steady pace during any cardio workout. I get bored and like you mentioned, pushing myself further and further each time is what keeps me going. To each their own, of course, but I do intervals on the step mill also. I'm doing levels 8 - 10 right now; warm up and cool down at level 7. Next week I'll try to get to level 11.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Talkradio wrote: »
    My confession today is that I had a hellish day at work (and that is putting it mildly), tonight I WAY over ate and binged on snacks while watching TV to relax.....

Saturday is the big fight night (SO PUMPED can't wait), and I had planned to eat pizza, wings, nachos etc, and even though I should not because of what I ate tonight....I still am

I plan on going to the bar around 5pm, pre fights start around 9 and the main event around midnight.....but I want to make sure I have a great seat.....

I really want to watch it, but I don't know that I have anywhere to see it/anyone to go with. My husband has no interest in it.

I'm Filipina, so obviously I'm rooting for Pacman.

Me too! Mayweather needs to seriously be taken down a few pegs.....I love Pacman and he might just be the man to do it!!
  • BZAH10
    Options

I agree. Just my opinion, but it's all this helicopter parenting stuff that is the cause of a lot of problems for kids these days.
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    MissLaaber wrote: »
    fitfatty88 wrote: »
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    kayfaei wrote: »
    shannonbun wrote: »
    I went running outside for the first time today, cos y'know, I was feeling good about myself... while running through campus, someone yelled out of their car, "RUN, FAT GIRL!!" I wanted to flip off the chick who yelled so badly, but she was in a car, so obviously she got away.

Come say that to my face and we'll see just how fast you can run. Grrrrr...

=/ I know I shouldn't let rude ugly people get to me. but thats one of the main reasons why I choose to workout at home. so I don't have to deal with rude mean people like that girl. I hope you see her again so you can get that chance to flip her off

I hate any comment when I'm out running. A hello or good job is ok. Any other type of comment is very unwelcome.

I live in a fairly athletic community, and runners/joggers high five when we pass each other :)

Some teenagers are mean jerks, though. There are certain corners I just avoid when school is out.

That's why I mainly run in parks and a greenway corridor instead of on the street. I get into my own head that someone will say something to me even though nobody ever has. In the park though, other runners and cyclists will do 'the nod' no matter how fast or slow a person is going...makes me happy. Not looking to have a conversation or someone to boost my ego with a "way to go" but the nod is all I need.

I did have a guy smile and wave the other day at the gym, which was nice, until I looked in the mirror afterwards and saw the GIANT line of boob sweat.

I LOVE the runners and bikers around here for this exact reason, it's a huge community of super supportive people. I've actually had someone come and strike a conversation with me while running and giving me some points for my first half. Just so much love and respect.

:D I actually had that happen while I was running my second half. This woman quickly sped up next to me and started talking to me about how our pace was pretty equal and that I was motivating her. She had been training with her sister but her sister dropped out the month before the half. I consider running a very solitary experience so it was shocking to me to have someone consider ME of all people...motivating.
  • BZAH10
    Options
    My first day of work went great!

I work at a restaurant that actually has some healthy choices and I get a free meal every shift so that was nice! I calculated the calories for my meal that I wanted a few days ago so it was really nice. I spent eight whole hours not constantly obsessing about food, I felt productive and feel like now I can actually reach my goals without constantly focusing on them

*high fives everyone who reads this*

High five! That is great - so glad to hear it!
  • BZAH10
    Options
    Ok, what is NPR radio? I'm confused haha.
    And:
    I feel really guilty because we bought a new car (2009 Chevrolet Cobalt to be exact) and the payments and insurance are more than we're used to. Plus it was mainly bought because I drive so far to school and hubbys blazer isn't cutting it anymore.
    It's finals week and I may or may not be failing 2 of my classes, I'm beyond stressed and I haven't given two f*cks about eating right or logging much at all. I'm pissed at myself because I made dean's list with a 3.692 gpa last semester and I've failed one class already and may possibly fail another just in this semester!!!!! Ugh!
    I've got a little less than a month to plan my daughter's birthday party, and we're expecting anywhere between 40-50 people to be there and I've gotta figure out how or what to serve.
    I've lost control of my world and it's driving me crazy (serious control freak here)!
    :disappointed:

So sorry to hear that! Any idea why the big change? Are these totally different classes? Mainly asking just so that maybe we can offer some help.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself as far as your daughter's bday party. Doesn't have to be perfect. Delegate as many things as you can. Being a control freak is hard, but sometimes letting go of some things gives you much needed energy for other areas of your life. Hang in there!

I think a lot of it came from me thinking that since I went from 5 classes to 4 I wouldn't have so much to do. I didn't take into consideration that everything gets more difficult in higher level courses. I've definitely failed my English course, which I can retake next semester and it doesn't affect whether or not I get into the clinical program for my degree. My math, however, does. If I pass this semester, I can take probability and statistics next semester, if I fail, I have to repeat the course and I won't be able to apply for clinicals in the spring.

I was going to make most of the food for the party, (mini burgers and sandwiches) but hubby and I agreed to just buy pizzas and I'll make veggie platters and little treats to go with the cake and ice cream. With everything else going on lately, that's a compromise I can make.
    Thanks for your encouragement too! :smile:

It definitely does get harder, but now you know so hopefully you can recover from this and not lose too much time. You are certainly not the only one this type of thing happens to!

I was going to suggest ordering pizzas, but decided not to, so I'm glad that's what you are doing. Any way you can relieve some stress right now is a good idea.
  • BZAH10
    Options
    I went running outside for the first time today, cos y'know, I was feeling good about myself... while running through campus, someone yelled out of their car, "RUN, FAT GIRL!!" I wanted to flip off the chick who yelled so badly, but she was in a car, so obviously she got away.

This makes me so angry I'm having trouble formulating a response! You are awesome and you do not ever let people like that get you down. There is a special place in hell for people who do that. I'm not purposely wishing something bad happen to her, but karma and the universe will make sure she pays for this someday, somehow.

Forget about it and continue on!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,405 Member
    Options

My 14yo and I watched all seasons if the Walking Dead over the summer/early fall. We caught up just in time for the current season's winter break. My 12yo son was not interested. My 11yo and 9yo daughters would probably have been fine, but we mostly watched after they went to bed, heh.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,405 Member
    Options

I agree. Just my opinion, but it's all this helicopter parenting stuff that is the cause of a lot of problems for kids these days.

Yeah, I don't censor too much. My 12yo son who isn't into scary movies and stuff loves his FPS shooter video games and reads pretty much everything. I don't do homework for my kids and it irritates the hell out of me that they hand out trophies for everything. I have flat out told my kids I am proud that they worked hard, but "participation" trophies get chucked in a box in the closet; they are welcome to display awards they actually earned for excelling vs showing up. And they do, lol.

• m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options

Heed these words once spoken by the great Teddy Roosevelt.... just change man to woman. lol :)
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

• KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    confession: i woke up early today to make sure i got to work with enough time before my 8am meeting to be able to snag one of the panera cinnamon crunch bagels i knew were being brought in....
  • KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    confession: it drives me absolutely nuts (ie. totally jealous) when ppl whine about NOT being able to eat 1,000 calories in a day. i never say anthing out of fear of being destroyed in the forums, but it's mind boggling to me. are you living on cotton-balls soaked in vinegar? what am i missing?! tell me how to not be hungry all the time!
    This is me very rarely, when I'm super super stressed. Yesterday I only had an iced cappuccino from Tim Hortons and did not feel an ounce of hunger, just nausea. Not recommended :P

A while back people were talking about Tim Hortons and feeling like the only Canadians who didn't like it. I'm American, but I agree that they don't have very good donuts. I CRAVE KRISPY KREME UP HERE! I do, however, like their iced capps. Mmm.

see, i'm the total opposite, i'm a stress eater. a massive stress eater...omnomnom

i actually....hate krispy kreme *hides*
    i think the glaze is gross.
    we have a regional (i'm in northeast PA) donut chain called curry donuts. they are made of yum, and unlike dunkin, you don't end up with that later of grease goop on the roof of your mouth. woot!

I use to love Krispy Kreme in high school. My bio teacher would bring in a few dozen once a month. But I went one a few years back and it really sucked. I was so disappointed. There is a local shop here that makes delicious donuts, we have gone there 3 times in the last 5 weeks and I have not been exercising restraint.

Also I hate dunkin, don't get the appeal.

i love dunkins iced coffee w/cream and sugar. and their cinnamon muffins are pretty tastey...and so are the peanut butter cream donuts....but i swear THAT'S IT!
  • cranor130
    cranor130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My work is going out for lunch to this dutch restaurant and I am totally going to indulge in a Pannekoken covered in sweetened cream cheese, strawberries and whipping cream. Out of my team, only 2 of us are walking to the restaurant which is about 8 blocks - I feel mildly superior to everyone else. I am going to devour this thing as I am starving and have been up since 2:00 a.m.-ish (currently 8:20).

(Pannekoken is a cross between a crepe & a pancake. It is about as large as a dinner plate and thin like a crepe but not eggy but taste more like a pancake).

Confession - I've pretty much been at maintenance for several months. This is not intentional. I have decided to just let it go until my gall bladder comes out in two weeks and start fresh then. Been so stressed from work and haven't been getting the exercise that I want to. I think it would do me some good just to take a break and re-group.
    That sounds like an awesome treat! I must find a Dutch restaurant! Wishing you a speedy recovery post surgery. Laura
  • Momakanga
    Momakanga Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My confession today is that I had a hellish day at work (and that is putting it mildly), tonight I WAY over ate and binged on snacks while watching TV to relax.....

Saturday is the big fight night (SO PUMPED can't wait), and I had planned to eat pizza, wings, nachos etc, and even though I should not because of what I ate tonight....I still am

I plan on going to the bar around 5pm, pre fights start around 9 and the main event around midnight.....but I want to make sure I have a great seat.....

I really want to watch it, but I don't know that I have anywhere to see it/anyone to go with. My husband has no interest in it.

I'm Filipina, so obviously I'm rooting for Pacman.

I like watching the fights, but I don't pay any attention to the buildup and rivalries and such. Can you give me the Cliff notes on the fight Saturday? My husband just emailed me about it again and I have nothing to say back. All I know is I am supposed to be ready to go out early Saturday so we can find a good spot to watch.