Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I have to do my weekly food shop today and although my other half is not a fan of cakes or biscuits, he is a total ice cream fiend so I pick him up some every week (he is not dieting with me). Every week I spend a good 5 minutes staring at the lollies and tubs I refuse to buy myself while feeling slightly envious of the way my OH can guilt-free devour his. Even more so since I spotted a new Daim bar chocolate tub.

Is a lolly a popsicle or a lollipop? Also for those in England what do you guys refer to as a pot? Is it a pot of yogurt, oats, or porridge?
    They're all asleep! A lolly or an iced-lolly is a popsicle. Not sure about the pot question... Definitely yoghurt (English spelling!) is sold in 'pots'. Aren't they everywhere? The term 'porridge pot' is one I've only ever heard in the story about the magic one which kept on producing porridge! Might be an old term. Porridge is the same as oatmeal.

Same container, but they're called cups, same with pudding and fruit.

I'm working through this post since Friday so this is a bit behind but what exactly is 'pudding'? Because in England Pudding is the same a 'dessert' as in the last course of a three course meal. It always looks like a pot of custard in the films/movies.

Kind of like custard, but there's no egg in it. It's usually some dairy thickened with cornstarch, along with sugar and whatever flavor you want. This is a bare basics recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-vanilla-pudding/

Most people just use instant, though, which is premixed powder you mix with milk and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Or buy it in cups.
    Think 'Angel Delight' or similar - not as bubbly, but just as many chemicals!

Oh my god I have Angel Delight in the cupboard, I just remembered! And meringues
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Have a question that I feel I can ask here without ridicule. How many steps a day would you consider sedentary vs lightly active. I try to hit 10-12k a day and wondering if I have my activity level set correctly as I changed it from sedentary to lightly active

I thought 10,000 was active. I don't know if that is correct. I would count anything under 5,000 as sedentary and anything between 5,000 - 10,000 lightly active.

Thank you!! I will keep it at lightly active then to make up for the days when I don't quite reach the 10k mark
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    I'm 29 and I <3 Frozen. I have no shame.

I'm 26 and I have never seen Frozen. Or Dirty Dancing. Or Grease. Or a lot of other chick flicks. Maybe that explains my post about not knowing how to do girly things. I still have no intention of watching any of these films though.

Ahhh, no judgement but WHAT! Frozen is one thing I can understand but no Grease or Dirty Dancing!? Oh my goodness you're missing out, I love, love, love those movies! I can still perform every song from Grease if asked to do so haha :)

And The Princess Bride! All required watching.

Confession: I hate Frozen. Elsa is a selfish witch, imo.

I Love the Princess Bride! I'm going at Princess Buttercup this Halloween. I've got the right hair for it and SO and I both love it. He's going as Dread Pirate Roberts. :smiley: I have two patterns that I need to modify to try to make the pale blue wedding dress. We go to a big Halloween party. I'm looking forward to it but realized I'm going to have to actually sew a wedding dress to make this costume! I will start soon.
  • mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Today's guilty indulgence - really obnoxious music 2PAC, Nicki Minaj, DMX etc - picture this short (5'4") older milk white lady driving up to a conservative church in an SUV with the bass turned up. Smiling the whole time.
  • nonoelmo
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oh, and what do the cool moms and kiddos do on Sunday morning? Matching Frozen color manicures of course! (Proud mommy moment, a few months ago just the idea of something touching her hands made her panic, now she loves having her nails painted! Small victories over Sensory Processing Disorder!)
    3r3ommj4l2xq.jpg
    :)
    Aww, how adorable!

Whoo for the small victory:).

My two year old niece is obsessed with Frozen! Her brother the one day asked if she was a boy or a girl & she said no to both & he asked what she was. Her answer...Elsa hahaha.

Haha! That sounds like my daughter too! All Frozen, all the time. If it's not playing on some DVD player in my house on loop, she's still running around singing "Let it Go" and proclaiming herself to be Elsa. I've tried to use that to my advantage with the potty training endeavors, but still no luck...

Potty training at our house too! Does your little one go to daycare or are you a SAHM? Ours goes to daycare and she did pretty well this weekend. Only one accident yesterday, but we put a diaper on when she sleeps.

I'm a SAHM. She knows how everything works, what to do, and how to do it. The thing is, she won't do it. We bought panties and the waterproof ones to cover those, just so I'm not spending all day mopping up puddles of pee when she has accidents. She tries, but she tries after she pees or poops herself. The big goal is to have her potty trained before she starts 3K in September. Add in her sensory challenges and anxiety issues, and I have a feeling we're going to be at it awhile.

Potty training was a nightmare in my house. My son still pooped his pants regularly at 4.5. I had to take him to a therapist, but thankfully it helped. Now he's almost 7.5 and he still won't wipe half the time and still pees his bed once a week (and won't tell me, of course, until it's bedtime and the bed reeks and I have a lot of laundry to do the next day. Then he sleeps on the floor).

His sister still has poop in her underwear every single day. And I still have to remind them to wipe their hands (plus side - I never even consider eating their leftovers. *barf*).

Kids are just SO gross.

We were hoping potty training would be easier for her, because pooping is a challenge in and of itself. The sensation of actually pooping sends her into a complete meltdown, and she has a terrible habit of holding and holding until she's so constipated it makes her sick and we have to give her enemas to make her poop. That's even with giving her a tablespoon of miralax every day by her doctor's recommendation. I seriously hate SPD, not just for that, but for countless other reasons. It's taken so much from her and kept her from so many things already, and it pisses me off! I can't tell you how many nights and times I've spent in tears over it and seeing her struggle every day with it. The worst part is, it's not even recognized that much, I've actually had to explain to a doctor what SPD is because they looked at me like an idiot when I mentioned she had it. I can't tell you how many times I get asked if I'm not sure she's autistic, when she's been tested multiple times and they've said she doesn't meet the criteria for that diagnosis. So far, she's been diagnosed with SPD, anxiety, and "pervasive developmental disorder-non otherwise specified", and already shows signs of possible ADHD. My heart breaks for her, seeing how she struggles so much, but I try to be thankful, because I know it could be so much worse, but there's still times where I just want to scream and cry and yell about how it's so unfair to her! :cry:
    Ok, ending my rant now.

Sounds really difficult for both of you, but she is very lucky to have such a caring mom. I know there are some days I have trouble dealing with sensory overload. It is so hard to imagine what it would be like for a child with a sensory disorder. Please feel free to rant when needed. You need a safe place, too :).

Aww, thank you! I don't talk about it much, because the family likes to act like she doesn't have anything wrong and we exaggerate her issues and make excuses for her being a brat. Yeah, I'm pretty sure all those trips to therapy, all the doctor appointments, and all the meltdowns and judgmental stares are all because we're feeding off drama and attention. :unamused: It can be hard, but I try to remind myself of how far she has come and the progress she's made. :)
    I really feel for you on this. My oldest son was extremely hard work at that age. All my family were sympathetic but still thought he'd 'grow out of it'. I remember telling my mum that I would cut off my right arm if it would just make everything easy for him. I was being 100% totally honest, and I still feel like this, despite him now being 18m and with all that he's achieved. She got really angry with me, and that's when I knew that although she loved us all, she would never understand.
    Hugs to you.

That's what I get all the time. "She'll outgrow it", "she's just being a brat", and my favorite "bust her *kitten* more and she'll quit that"; we've actually been told "if you'd give her a bath more often she wouldn't freak out like that". I guess giving her a shower daily isn't often enough? :unamused: I try to just ignore it, but it still really gets to me.
    Yeah. You almost wish a special needs child on some people, to see if they'd finally get it.

(Edited because I forgot a few words...and to fix the quote.)

When I was preg with my son and we found out he'd have special needs I was told by several well-meaning people. "Well of all the people to have a special needs child I'm glad it is you." (I knew they meant they thought I could handle it and could educate myself on the needs and resources and so on - including having the patience to deal with it...) but really... what a thing to say!!! I adore my son. He is a very unique boy and with that come many "normal" things that he will "never" do and that is ok. I would not change him and work hard to maximize his unique potential. This poem helped me a lot when I first learned the diagnosis while pregnant.

WELCOME TO HOLLAND

by
    Emily Perl Kingsley.

c1987 by Emily Perl Kingsley. All rights reserved

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @nonoelmo That poem is fabulous. So amazing. Pretty much speechless.
  • brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @nonoelmo That made me cry...
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

+1, almost in tears what a fantastic poem, thank you for sharing <3
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    So… I mostly need a place to noodle this around and get it out. I work for my State as a government analyst, so I have to be kinda vague and can't get into specifics. I make decent $, not great. Job security is awesome, but I like $ and I like to be challenged. I have an MBA already and I’m feeling the itch to go back and get my MS in Finance. It would be stupid to get an MS if I’m going to stay in government. I only need my BA for my job, so I’m already over-qualified.

I love the job security, but I hate that it’s not challenging, no advancement other than getting the standard automated raise every year, etc. I also love the thought of using my brain again (I’m a weirdo that loves school).
    Hubby says do it, but if I do, I have to get out of government work (I can make at least $10-$15k/yr more in private sector work and raises are usually better). In private sector, the degree would pay for itself within 2 years, maybe less. Am I crazy to want to get out of “safe” government work into private companies?

Do it! :smile:
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows I LOVE cookies so for my birthday last month I was given two cookie cakes. After eating almost both of them in 2 days I threw the rest away. On the 3rd morning I dug it out of the trash and ate it. It was still in it's box but still. Addiction anyone?!?!
    You should have sprayed it with Windex so you wouldn't be tempted! You're not the only one! Welcome!

LOL aside from this directly reminding me of the Seinfeld éclair episode where George fishes out an éclair from the trash then gets caught... I was thinking she didn't sabotage it quite enough!
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    eMka11 wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm 29 and I <3 Frozen. I have no shame.

I'm 26 and I have never seen Frozen. Or Dirty Dancing. Or Grease. Or a lot of other chick flicks. Maybe that explains my post about not knowing how to do girly things. I still have no intention of watching any of these films though.

I didn't like Grease much but I love Dirty Dancing!

Footloose!

One of my favorites, ever! The original one with Kevin Bacon, of course!

The remake was terrible :( Kevin Bacon all the way!

Omg, so terrible! And I just love Kevin Bacon...speaking of..anyone watch The Following and as sad as I am that it's cancelled? :(:(

I did not know it's cancelled ;-( I'm on episode 11 of latest series

Uugh that's terrible. Monday. Ruined!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I can't believe I am admitting this... but I have talked about more sensitive things in this thread so WTH. :lol: I had this problem until I was about 13. It seemed to stop when I was put on Prozac for my depression. I don't know if that's what stopped it, but even when they changed my medicine it was no longer an issue. I can't help but to think it had something to do with it.

I seriously can't believe it either, but I'll bring my confession to the game as well. I feel quite bad about some of the slightly judgmental posts from parents (towards their kids) about bedwetting issues. I had the same issue, and it didn't go away until I was FIFTEEN. Yes, I said FIF. TEEN. It was embarrassing and horrible for me, and thinking that my parents would have been ashamed or upset about it or talked about it like the ones who mentioned it above makes me even more embarrassed. Nobody wets their bed on purpose. :-/
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I am feeling particularly down today, had a rough weekend (my toddler is in a Spica cast for another two weeks, my husband worked all weekend) and now I'm back at work. This thread and the thought of working out when I get home are the only things cheering me up right now.

Had to look up spica cast. Is he/she at the hospital or is a family member taking care of him/her? What happened?

He's at home, and my mom is retired so she provides care while my husband and I are at work. Otherwise it's up to my husband and I to look after him. For anyone else who doesn't know, a spica cast is basically a full body cast. He's been in it for a month now. He broke his femur playing at the park and had to have a closed reduction surgery. It's been a pretty stressful month and it's taken a toll on our family.

Oh no! That is terrible! Poor baby. And poor parents. What an ordeal. I hope he heals quickly! How much longer does he have to be in it?

Two more weeks, which in the grand scheme isn't that long, considering we've "become accustomed" to the ins and outs by now, but it's just draining. I shouldn't be complaining, as I know it could be much worse (the nurse at the hospital reminded us of that), but still, it's been a very difficult year for us in general.

My confession is that even though I'd love to stick to my plan of eating a ton of protein, all I want right now is typical comfort foods. Especially mashed potatoes with lots of cheese.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    mom216 wrote: »
    Today's guilty indulgence - really obnoxious music 2PAC, Nicki Minaj, DMX etc - picture this short (5'4") older milk white lady driving up to a conservative church in an SUV with the bass turned up. Smiling the whole time.

:smiley:
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Have a question that I feel I can ask here without ridicule. How many steps a day would you consider sedentary vs lightly active. I try to hit 10-12k a day and wondering if I have my activity level set correctly as I changed it from sedentary to lightly active

From what I've read, 0-5000 is sedentary, 5000-10000 is lightly active, and 10000+ is active. :)
  • m1xm0d3
    Options

MFP asks what your lifestyle is (office-manual labor) then what your exercise plan is. So the question to you is do you walk the steps as part of your work day?
    I work in the office but move around very little while here so I have mine set to sedentary with 7+ hours of exercise planned per week.
  • riderfangal
    Options

From what I've read, 0-5000 is sedentary, 5000-10000 is lightly active, and 10000+ is active. :)

Thank you!! I have been scared to ask "out there" ;)
  • riderfangal
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »

MFP asks what your lifestyle is (office-manual labor) then what your exercise plan is. So the question to you is do you walk the steps as part of your work day?
    I work in the office but move around very little while here so I have mine set to sedentary with 7+ hours of exercise planned per week.

I work in an office so most of the steps are taken outside work hours..walking every night, doing the stairs at home even walking laps in my backyard ;)
  • nonoelmo
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thank you all. The poem is written by one of the writers of Sesame Street who has a son with Down Syndrome.

There is a grieving process in realizing you will have a special needs child. Without really even knowing it we all imagine and dream of the things our children will possibly do in the future. I am not saying my son's future is "limited" just that he falls outside of the typical boy. He is the biggest influence in the person I now am. He is the reason I went back to school and earned my PhD. He changed me for the better.

Edit to add: I am more patient, have more perspective on what is important, have more tolerance. I'm better on all levels than I was before my boy. He's wonderful.
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Confession: I don’t know what my goal weight should be. I’m 5’9 and currently weigh 221. (That’s a big step since I’ve never admitted that to anyone!) I had the goal set at 200, but didn’t feel like that was low enough. It’s now set at 190, but now I don’t feel like that is low enough either. I weighed 180 the year before my son was born and felt awesome. I weighed 160 when I graduated from high school (and thought I was fat). I know I’ll probably find a weight where I feel comfortable and don’t have to kill myself in the gym every day. I understand all the numbers. Just not sure if I can get back to the 160s mainly because I don’t know if I have the dedication. Looking for some advice from some of you. That seems like a lot of numbers and rambling.

I'm 5'9", too. My goal weight is 165 lbs, but I'd be happy with anything in the 170's at this point.

I'm 5'7". My goal weight is 125. I'm at 134 now. I honestly have never been this low in my life, but I still have a lot of fat to lose...I'm thinking I have a small frame or something...?