Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda.
    I just took the quiz and got Worcester MA, Boston MA, and Honolulu HI. Worcester and Boston make sense because I grew up in NH and just moved to ME 3 years ago...both states are right near MA. No idea about Honolulu though!

Apparently my dialect is closest to Boise, Reno, or Spokane. I guess I should move in with @Mohouson. :p

I'm just an hour and half south of Spokane, so you can move in with me and become the pastry chef of the house! :)

Yes, and I will crash at your place and stuff myself silly with chocolate chip cookie cheesecake bars when I am heading to northern ID to visit family!! I like this plan very much.

Lol! On my way then... Get a bed ready for me, @WestCoastJo82 :p

Sweet, I'll be ready for you - I'll purchase baking ingredients and everything ;)

If @Susieq_1994 is baking may I come please?!?

Come on down - party in Pullman at Jo's house!

Woo hoo that sounds awesome!!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda.
    I just took the quiz and got Worcester MA, Boston MA, and Honolulu HI. Worcester and Boston make sense because I grew up in NH and just moved to ME 3 years ago...both states are right near MA. No idea about Honolulu though!

Apparently my dialect is closest to Boise, Reno, or Spokane. I guess I should move in with @Mohouson. :p

I'm just an hour and half south of Spokane, so you can move in with me and become the pastry chef of the house! :)

Yes, and I will crash at your place and stuff myself silly with chocolate chip cookie cheesecake bars when I am heading to northern ID to visit family!! I like this plan very much.

Lol! On my way then... Get a bed ready for me, @WestCoastJo82 :p

Sweet, I'll be ready for you - I'll purchase baking ingredients and everything ;)

If @Susieq_1994 is baking may I come please?!?

Come on down - party in Pullman at Jo's house!

Yay! I love parties!

I'm in and bringing GF flour and separate pans.... I love a good baking party!

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I suck at baking but I'm very good at eating and cleaning up afterwards!
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while I get in a mood where I'm like "Hmm... I kind of want to add sugar to my coffee. I'm craving something sweet." I always have to remind myself that I'm not a fan of sugar in coffee. The taste never sits quite right with me and it always makes me feel somewhat sick. I have some cream in my fridge, though, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

You know what's REALLY REALLY good? Chamomile tea with cream/milk and honey. I would make it almost every night before going to bed when I was little :tongue: So soothing.... and the smell of chamomile... YES.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I love to bake but I hate cleaning up messes. :( I was so jealous of Mrs. Weasley in Harry Potter. All she had to do was wave her wand and the dishes would clean themselves!!! Where is that in my life :(

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    Every once in a while I get in a mood where I'm like "Hmm... I kind of want to add sugar to my coffee. I'm craving something sweet." I always have to remind myself that I'm not a fan of sugar in coffee. The taste never sits quite right with me and it always makes me feel somewhat sick. I have some cream in my fridge, though, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

You know what's REALLY REALLY good? Chamomile tea with cream/milk and honey. I would make it almost every night before going to bed when I was little :tongue: So soothing.... and the smell of chamomile... YES.

I am such a fan of chamomile tea! Also peppermint and ginger peach. Ahhh...so soothing.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options

Plus 1
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

Plus 1

+2
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    I love to bake but I hate cleaning up messes. :( I was so jealous of Mrs. Weasley in Harry Potter. All she had to do was wave her wand and the dishes would clean themselves!!! Where is that in my life :(

I have always wanted Rosie the Robot from the Jetsons cartoon, but a magic wand would also work for me.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    1 scoop salted caramel (car-ml) ice cream
    1 scoop lemon ice box pie ice cream
    2 glasses chardonnay

It's what's for dinner!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Umm, there aren't enough CEOs making that much money to make up the difference for every entry level employee to make $15/hr AND give the currently mid-level and lower management people comparable wages. There are overpaid CEOs. Mine is not one of them and in fact is one of the nicest men I know. But even if there were enough of them, you didn't accuse them of looking down at the people who cook and clean and mow for them. You accused people whom I suspect are a lot like me, slogging in the middle class, cooking most of my own food, cleaning my own house, and mowing my own lawn of maybe paying my own teens to do it.

I'm sure you didn't mean to make us feel judged and I appreciate your passion for the less fortunate. (by the way, I do try to help them directly by volunteering my time to a free medical clinic and a few other things that make a practical difference to them.)

P.S. I have this thought that things would improve here if we had term limits and if anyone who left elected office or a high level bureaucratic job for one of those high paying jobs had to surrender their government pension completely and pay a 50% tax for the first 5 years if they or their company attempt to lobby government in any way. We sell access to the highest bidder and that's a damned shame. (for instance, the Treasury Secretary shouldn't be able to work for any bank or hedge fund for 5 years after he leaves office. The job comes with a pension and there is too much inside knowledge for working in the banking industry not to give the bank he or she works for a competitive advantage.)

As for the bolded, HELL YES! I have never suggested otherwise I have just never understood why someone, ANYONE, would want to watch someone else suffer and not be able to provide for themselves or their kids.....and that, is certainly what all this menial job hate is sounding like to me!

I did not accuse anyone of anything, someone said it, I did not think it up, it is all here in black and white!!

I can't recall if it was here or not that I went on a tangent about under tipping service workers, but that is always a huge problem of mine. In fact, I NEVER share a bill with anyone when eating out, because I do not think most people tip enough, and I have made sure to teach my children to tip properly. Those people work hard for their money, just like the rest of us, and are usually paid crap. This is along those same lines. Like I said, my sister is similar to some of those CEO's we speak about, and I would take her up one side and down the other if I ever heard her say something as ignorant as some of the statements I have heard here tonight!

To be upset, because someone that has struggled their whole lives can now afford to pay their rent and eat, is disgusting and nasty, period.

ETA: I do not work a job where I make tips, just for the record.

Chill. You pretty much just dissed an entire effing country. And you dont even effing live here.

• Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Umm, there aren't enough CEOs making that much money to make up the difference for every entry level employee to make $15/hr AND give the currently mid-level and lower management people comparable wages. There are overpaid CEOs. Mine is not one of them and in fact is one of the nicest men I know. But even if there were enough of them, you didn't accuse them of looking down at the people who cook and clean and mow for them. You accused people whom I suspect are a lot like me, slogging in the middle class, cooking most of my own food, cleaning my own house, and mowing my own lawn of maybe paying my own teens to do it.

I'm sure you didn't mean to make us feel judged and I appreciate your passion for the less fortunate. (by the way, I do try to help them directly by volunteering my time to a free medical clinic and a few other things that make a practical difference to them.)

P.S. I have this thought that things would improve here if we had term limits and if anyone who left elected office or a high level bureaucratic job for one of those high paying jobs had to surrender their government pension completely and pay a 50% tax for the first 5 years if they or their company attempt to lobby government in any way. We sell access to the highest bidder and that's a damned shame. (for instance, the Treasury Secretary shouldn't be able to work for any bank or hedge fund for 5 years after he leaves office. The job comes with a pension and there is too much inside knowledge for working in the banking industry not to give the bank he or she works for a competitive advantage.)

As for the bolded, HELL YES! I have never suggested otherwise I have just never understood why someone, ANYONE, would want to watch someone else suffer and not be able to provide for themselves or their kids.....and that, is certainly what all this menial job hate is sounding like to me!

I did not accuse anyone of anything, someone said it, I did not think it up, it is all here in black and white!!

I can't recall if it was here or not that I went on a tangent about under tipping service workers, but that is always a huge problem of mine. In fact, I NEVER share a bill with anyone when eating out, because I do not think most people tip enough, and I have made sure to teach my children to tip properly. Those people work hard for their money, just like the rest of us, and are usually paid crap. This is along those same lines. Like I said, my sister is similar to some of those CEO's we speak about, and I would take her up one side and down the other if I ever heard her say something as ignorant as some of the statements I have heard here tonight!

To be upset, because someone that has struggled their whole lives can now afford to pay their rent and eat, is disgusting and nasty, period.

ETA: I do not work a job where I make tips, just for the record.

Chill. You pretty much just dissed an entire effing country. And you dont even effing live here.

Because every single American feels this way? Really??

How am I dissing the entire country? By defending the working poor? Ever hear of Matthew 25:40? I am a Christian and will never not defend the least of us.

I don't need to 'chill', I am fine.

Remaining silent in the face of injustice is the same as supporting it, and I will never, ever do that!
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    What about coupon? How does everyone say that. I've heard coo-pon and q-pon.

Q-pon. The correct way :)

I definitely say q-pon.

Ok i am never going to get through all this today but I'll gamely chime in here... I say this both ways interchangeably.

The other thing is we don't judge here and we don't argue.

Going to bed for a few hours before I have to get up and keep packing/cleaning and I am sure then that all will be sunshine and roses again. G'night.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

As soon as I walked in one of my co-workers told me lol. Good thing she is my person and if anyone gets that reference we can be best friends, Sorry for stealing your line @MoHousdon ;)

LOL - I get that reference. I've watched Grey's since the beginning... even though it's jumped the shark a few times.

I thought it was Grey's, but I cannot watch that show. Medicine doesn't actually work that way and it makes me crazy.

I actually find it hilarious that anyone who is knowledgeable in any field can't seem to watch movies or shows about them without getting completely teed off by the inaccuracies. It's totally something I would do if I watched anything! Inaccuracies would drive me absolutely up the wall...

That is why I cannot watch any cop-type shows.

Now that I have worked for a police department that is largely how I feel.

EXCEPT Blue Bloods because Tom Selleck is HOT! With Donnie Wahlberg coming in at a close second.

ETA: Confession: I prefer older men. :blush:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Kevrrr wrote: »
    This about confessions right? I just ate a baked chicken leg quarter from our cafeteria at work that was so dry I didn't even want to log it into my diary as food. I'm going to go eat an ice cream drum stick in retaliation.

Seems legit. :wink:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Catching up on overnight posts:

"What kind of coke do you want?" "Do you have Diet Dr. Pepper?" (Everything is coke in southeast Texas.) I also grew up saying "ya'll", but try my best to not use that now, unless I'm talking to people back home. I worked at a beer barn in college. (It was a convenience store when I started there, but they converted it to drive through mostly beer soon after.) I would have been severely chastised had I not said, "Yes, ma'am" to my mother (or any other adult female) growing up. My mother-in-law laughs at me when I say it to her. (She's from NY.) My most similar cities were Lubbock, Ft. Worth, and Little Rock. I grew up southeast of Ft. Worth and currently live northwest of Little Rock.

I love BIG dogs!

@raelynnsmama52512 I currently live in a 3 BR 1 Bath single wide, small but very livable. Definitely beats renting! Good luck!

I'm in for the imaginary party, swimming or not, wine is good. Should I bring cake?
    That is always the right question, and YES is always the answer!

I like the way you think, @Tubbs216 !

It's like asking what kind of wine goes with cake, white or red?
    YES!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @Tubbs216 That is really great news!!! Congratulations to all of you!!

+1,000,000
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Except for crayon and coupon (q-pon), I pronounce each of those words interchangeably. I guess it depends on my mood or something.

I also randomly bust out with a fake British accent. :)

Doesn't every non-British person? I assume British people will bust out fake American or Canadian accents too.

I would think that is how Hugh Laurie got the role of House. Frequent random practice.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I'm going to continue with my binge posts and the word ones:

I watch a lot of those House Hunter shows and I've noticed that Americans pronounce foyer as "foy-er". I'm pretty sure all Canadians pronounce it "foy-yay". I get a twitch every time I hear "foy-er" lol

FOY-YAY! I totally understand what you mean when you cringe, I stopped watch home improvement shows for that reason.... I'm also that person that will correct you while you're talking if you pronounce something wrong.

Same. I also can't "like" something on Facebook if it has a spelling or grammatical error.

I've either deleted or hidden most of my friends who talk/spell like they didn't pass grade 4 English.... I'm not a grammar snob by any means but COME ON!

I remember online dating and I just WOULD NOT tolerate a guy messaging me if he had spelling/grammatical errors in the message. OR it would COMPLETELY turn me off to a guy if he had a profile that had spelling/grammatical errors all over it. Lack of punctuation for me is a SERIOUS turn off, even in texts.

"Hey bby how r u doin just saw ur pic an ur hot as fck"

'Nah bro. You're blocked now.'
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @Italian_Buju -minimum wage nationally in the U.S. is $7.25/hr. States and localities can set it higher if they like. I know, for instance, it's $15/hr in Seattle, but not all of the state of Washington.

If the minimum wage here in TN were raised to 15/hr, I would get a raise and so would most of my coworkers who do not have masters' degrees, except for the nurses. (I have a bachelors.) however, if you think bachelors degree nurses who are making $20/hr vs CNAs who make $10 or people who make $8.75 to transport patients and deliver food and clean rooms are going to stand for not getting a raise if those people do, then you don't know human nature. It's not that all nurses look down on them (some do - I don't like them); it's that they've put years into their education and training and feel that it brings the hospitals and medical practices more skill. And if the bottom gets a raise and so does everyone else to be fair, then how do we contain costs to the patient?

It's a problem, but there are no magic wand solutions.

The problem, is not what you make vs what someone else makes. The problem is that you have CEO's making 8 BILLION dollars a year, while their employees cannot afford food!

This.

There is ONE problem I have with raising everyone's minimum wage. ONE.
    It will raise the cost of everything else.

Now before you jump down my throat about how it wont, let me tell you this:

And increase in minimum wage will do one of two things:
    1) Cause companies to go to machines that they don't have to pay and only pay one person to care for/maintain those machines.
    2) Decrease the profit margins of the companies that these employees work for, therefore, causing these big wig CEOs to raise the prices of everything.

Which do you think will happen more quickly?

Now I am ALL FOR raising the minimum wage. I would LOVE to go back to waiting tables/bartending. I LOVED IT! I feel it was my calling, but it is not livable in my current situation with the wages I would be making.

But in order for this to work, we need the CEOs and owners of these companies to take the personal hit in their own bank accounts. They need to recognize that MAYBE they don't NEED that extra jet plane or 18 bathrooms in their mansion.

They need to realize that they have enough and shouldn't keep all the water in their end of the pool, so to speak.