What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• lpamm1226
    lpamm1226 Posts: 11 Member
    what a great thread.... the only thing I dont look forward to is the being cold. Me and winter do not get along. I did not complain about the heat this summer and I live in AZ lol
  • saylorkw
    saylorkw Posts: 69 Member
    akboy58 wrote: »
    I was just at a family gathering, and the second I showed up everyone started freaking out about how I must not be eating enough and that I look like I'm starving myself to death.

People always ask me, "oh my god, you want to lose MORE?" I'm still not at a healthy weight and have a long way to go. No quitting now.

Clothing is just a huge pain right now.

People are constantly asking "How are you doing this?" and are then completely shocked that I'm not doing some gimmick diet. That's usually followed by "I bought a Fitbit to track my steps, but it's not helping."

I LOVE not having all this extra to carry around.

ALL. OF. THIS.

^DITTO

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I was just at a family gathering, and the second I showed up everyone started freaking out about how I must not be eating enough and that I look like I'm starving myself to death. (Large Italian family.)

Was at a funeral the other day sitting in the balcony of an old non-air conditioned church on an 85 degree day and was freezing.
    People always ask me, "oh my god, you want to lose MORE?" I'm still not at a healthy weight and have a long way to go. No quitting now.

Clothing is just a huge pain right now.

People are constantly asking "How are you doing this?" and are then completely shocked that I'm not doing some gimmick diet. That's usually followed by "I bought a Fitbit to track my steps, but it's not helping."

I LOVE not having all this extra to carry around.

85 degrees outside (probably warmer inside with lots of people), and probably wearing a suit. If you are uncomfortably cold, it is time to see a doctor... That is not normal.
  • WarningHillAhead
    WarningHillAhead Posts: 22 Member
    What type of shirt are you guys talking about? I did a Google search, and it came up with a lot of different styles.

These are the type that I meant:
    Crossover Wrap Blouse

They all make my stomach and hips look a lot bigger now and do nothing for my new curves.

Ooooh...thank you! That's a pity; those shirts look pretty cute!
  • lgreen1115
    lgreen1115 Posts: 1 Member
    Serious for a second:
    - Realizing that it wasn't my weight that was making me unhappy. There was something broken in my head. Once I fixed that, I was able to start losing the weight. I had to learn to love myself so that I could lose weight, instead of losing weight so that I could love myself.

Not so serious:
    - Waking up in the morning and feeling my hip bones. I've never felt them before. I didn't realize how high up into my abdomen they go!
    - Looking forward to my workouts (and feeling miserable if I miss them)
    - Realizing that I can actually eat cake and ice cream, as long as I fit them into my calories. I went years without eating them or feeling guilty when I did. I don't feel guilty about food any more.
    - Being able to breathe easier. I don't get winded walking anymore. I actually like to park on the other side of the parking lot. I don't have to hold my breath when I tie my shoes.
    - Sleeping better. I think I used to have a touch of sleep apnea (I would snore really bad and was always tired no matter how long I slept). I just feel better rested and actually wake up earlier without being so cranky.
    - Putting on a pair of pants that I bought two weeks ago and having them be a little loose. It's kind of annoying, but feels good too.
    - Realizing that my brain doesn't keep up with my weight loss. If I have big clothes in the house, I will wear them. I have to donate them in order for me to not wear them. I have a box of clothes in smaller sizes that were handed down to me. I have to force myself to try them on once a month, or I will never think that they will fit me (even though I see the previous bullet point happen).

This is me
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    What type of shirt are you guys talking about? I did a Google search, and it came up with a lot of different styles.

Crossover Wrap Blouse

They all make my stomach and hips look a lot bigger now and do nothing for my new curves.

Always had to sew them shut. Boobs were too big. :'(

Aww! Unfortunately I've had to do that too, but it was for the opposite reason. :(
  • aliciasilfies

Crossover Wrap Blouse

I know it's really disappointing! I've tried everything imaginable to continue wearing them - belts, tucking it in, etc. Nothing worked!
  • Hybrice
    Hybrice Posts: 117 Member
    PINS AND NEEDLES ALL THE DAMN TIME!
  • aliciasilfies

Crossover Wrap Blouse

I know it's really disappointing! I've tried everything imaginable to continue wearing them - belts, tucking it in, etc. Nothing worked!
    Obviously the fault of the shirts themselves if they don't properly fit or flatter anybody. :)

Truth! :)
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    getitamb wrote: »
    1. How much stronger you are emotionally and physically

2. The great motivating ppl you meet on your journey.

3. That it's really hard to give away fat clothes. Harder than you ever thought.

4. Ppl ask you for weightloss advice.
    5. Jealousy and competition.

You nailed it.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    mcornall88 wrote: »
    PINS AND NEEDLES ALL THE DAMN TIME!

YES! I'm not the only one!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,148 Member
    That you can stand in front of the mirror and just stare at newly discovered collarbones that don't involve the hunching of shoulders to see. (still kind of freaky to me)
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    rayw89 wrote: »
    HannaSusi wrote: »
    That once you're ACTUALLY ready, it seems so much easier than any other time attempted before

Exactly this! I don't even know how else to explain it, it was just a moment, a regular thursday March 5th 2015 when I just... was ready. And I haven't looked back since and I have never ever before been this sure and confident about my ability to actually do it.

When it shifts from "I wish... I should... I'll try..." to "I am doing this.". And you just do it. No matter how long it takes.

Yes. I've "been trying to lose weight" since I was a teenager, even younger than that, actually. But on January 28th, 2015, after putting the scale away for months because I felt it knew how to ruin the feeling after a good workout(before I changed my diet), I decided to pull it out and see what it said. Well it said 20 lbs. more than what I was expecting, and I was expecting my normal over-weight weight. It didn't have an emotional impact on me, it did not make me feel bad, it made me go "Huh. Tomorrow I'm going to change that". For the first time in my life, something changed, something clicked, and I knew to just fix it. Well 43 lbs. later, I'm 7 lbs. from my goal weight. And I'm so glad I started when I did! :D

I was reading this on my phone and accidentally hit - abuse !!! I thought if I hit it again it would take it away like the (like) on Facebook , nope it doesn't work that way !!! OMG ! Now this post has 2 tags for abuse !!!! SORRY
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    rayw89 wrote: »
    HannaSusi wrote: »
    That once you're ACTUALLY ready, it seems so much easier than any other time attempted before

Exactly this! I don't even know how else to explain it, it was just a moment, a regular thursday March 5th 2015 when I just... was ready. And I haven't looked back since and I have never ever before been this sure and confident about my ability to actually do it.

When it shifts from "I wish... I should... I'll try..." to "I am doing this.". And you just do it. No matter how long it takes.

Yes. I've "been trying to lose weight" since I was a teenager, even younger than that, actually. But on January 28th, 2015, after putting the scale away for months because I felt it knew how to ruin the feeling after a good workout(before I changed my diet), I decided to pull it out and see what it said. Well it said 20 lbs. more than what I was expecting, and I was expecting my normal over-weight weight. It didn't have an emotional impact on me, it did not make me feel bad, it made me go "Huh. Tomorrow I'm going to change that". For the first time in my life, something changed, something clicked, and I knew to just fix it. Well 43 lbs. later, I'm 7 lbs. from my goal weight. And I'm so glad I started when I did! :D

I was reading this on my phone and accidentally hit - abuse !!! I thought if I hit it again it would take it away like the (like) on Facebook , nope it doesn't work that way !!! OMG ! Now this post has 2 tags for abuse !!!! SORRY
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    How men become suddenly nicer and women become bitchy witches

YES and why are we mean to each other!!!

• getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    How men become suddenly nicer and women become bitchy witches

This is true. They run to hold doors open now.

• nikkiab86
    nikkiab86 Posts: 45 Member
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    Your shoes may no longer fit.
    Don't be too quick to resize your wedding bands, most jewelers won't do it more than twice.
    Find and make friends with your local consignment shop, don't splurge too much on clothes until you reach (and have stayed for a while at) goal.
    Some of your friends and family members will not be supportive.
    It's not a linear process (especially for us girls)! Some days/weeks you will not lose anything and that's okay. Stick to your plan.

Yes, my husband isn't supportive.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!