Boyfriends standards of weight?

Options

Replies

• LoraineGB
    LoraineGB Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    I have a slight problem here, I started losing weight a week ago because I weighed myself in front of my boyfriend for the same time and I weighed 66.4kg while he weighed 70kg.
    He instantly started complaining about how he doesn't want his girlfriend to weigh nearly as much as him and how he wants me to weigh less. This is the first time he has ever said anything negative about my weight, I'm 5'8" and slightly chubby. However, I had been thinking about losing a bit of weight for some time so I allowed him to say that and reduced my calories, started eating healthy and exercising.
    Ever since then all he does everyday is tell me that I'm still fat and need to lose more (I'm not fat, I'm chubby, my BMI is healthy and I'm a size 10/12).
    Whenever I tell him that I'm cooking he tells me to watch what I eat, I just informed him that I lost two kilograms in a week and he told me that I need to lose at least 10? We have been in a relationship for 2 years and meanwhile his standards are really high to the point of being unfair, they never have physically.
    I feel as if when I get the body I want I will resent him for only being attractive to such a slim body, he said that it's a "fair exchange" because he has a "hot" body???
    While his body is nice, he has a normal body, nothing extraordinary and I felt quite offended by it.
    How do I get over this problem? It's really bugging me. Oh, he also gets like this with other things such as my intelligence, calling me a retard, idiot,etc.
    How should I solve all of this?
    (No, I don't want to leave him, sorry)

Sorry hun, the only answer is to leave him. If you don't value yourself, he never will and if you stay with him you will constantly be posting posts like this one. You deserve better!
  • Leaz947
    Leaz947 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    zorander6 wrote: »
    Why would you ask for advice on a situation you are not willing to change? Your guy sounds like a real peach, my advice to you is to get used to being belittled and miserable. Then you can't complain.

I am sorry but you wouldn't understand unless you're in a similar situation. I have had no experience with things like this before, this is my first serious relationship. It's much harder than what you think.

OP, I HAVE been in your exact situation, I was 17, it was my first serious relationship and I thought he was the greatest thing to ever cross my path.

....then he started "critiquing" me and my weight. It was little things at first, then progressively more and more. He claimed to have personality disorders as well, although I never actually checked that with a doctor, and that I just didn't understand because I was too dumb. OP, trust me on this. It will NOT get better, it will only get a lot, lot worse. No matter how much you love him, and I get it, it's really hard, it is NOT worth staying. If he is treating you like that, he does not love you. Get out of there while you can. Regardless of what he may say, you deserve someone WAY better than him and there are plenty of wonderful men out there that do not treat you like that. I know, I almost married my abusive ex but woke up to it just in time. Then, when I was 24, I married the most amazing, wonderful man who loved me at my absolute heaviest, is celebrating every little weight loss achievement with me because it makes ME happy, and loves me completely unconditionally. That's the kind of man you deserve. And they are out there. Don't settle for less than what you're worth.

How did you manage to get over it and do it? Was it difficult? (if you don't mind talking about it, of course)

I don't mind, I really hope you can learn from my mistakes, I unfortunately took way too long to leave.

First, I had to realize it for what it was. Abuse, plain and simple. He was abusing me and your guy is abusing you. And as others have said, it goes from emotional to physical REALLY quickly.

Second, to admit it WILL NOT get better. Because it didn't, and it won't for you either. He will NOT get better, I can not emphasize that enough. Do not hold out for something that will not happen. He will never be the guy that you initially fell for again. He will only get WORSE. Again, I can not emphasize that enough.

OP, do NOT stick around until the physical abuse starts, I promise you, NO ONE is worth enduring that. It's really, really hard, it was probably one of the hardest things I've ever done and it was DEFINITELY the best, you have to break it off. Because of the nature of the relationship, I did not do it in private because I didn't trust myself or him in that kind of a setting but I told him it was over. That's even how I said it, I just said it's over. He will probably freak out to some extent (I know mine did), he may try to win you back. DO. NOT. FALL. FOR. IT. Do NOT believe anything he says because he will tell you all kinds of lies to get you back under his control. DO. NOT. LET. HIM. Be firm on this. Walk away. It'll hurt for a little while, yes, but not nearly as much as it hurts if you stay.

Wow, you sound like you're a strong person. I have come to terms with the first one but I'm struggling with the second one at the moment. I feel as if I'm not ready to leave yet, but I guess that there will never be the right moment, I'll have to make it for myself. You are truly inspiring for me, I am really glad that things worked out for you and that you have an amazing husband! If this problem ever gets fixed one way or another, I would like you to know now that you have helped me just by telling me how you got through it all and that there's a possibility of having a better life.
    Thank you so much for that.

There is no "right time" or "right moment" if you wait for it. Do it and don't look back with regret. Learn what you don't have to put up with and look forward. If you really want to study abroad work towards that goal and don't bother with the whole "I need to be in a relationship because.........." mentality.

I am not in the relationship with him because of that, it's just what I had been planning my life on and I hadn't really developed another alternative such as a plan B in case this didn't work out, it was/is quite naive of me now that I come to think of it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    zorander6 wrote: »
    Why would you ask for advice on a situation you are not willing to change? Your guy sounds like a real peach, my advice to you is to get used to being belittled and miserable. Then you can't complain.

I am sorry but you wouldn't understand unless you're in a similar situation. I have had no experience with things like this before, this is my first serious relationship. It's much harder than what you think.

OP, I HAVE been in your exact situation, I was 17, it was my first serious relationship and I thought he was the greatest thing to ever cross my path.

....then he started "critiquing" me and my weight. It was little things at first, then progressively more and more. He claimed to have personality disorders as well, although I never actually checked that with a doctor, and that I just didn't understand because I was too dumb. OP, trust me on this. It will NOT get better, it will only get a lot, lot worse. No matter how much you love him, and I get it, it's really hard, it is NOT worth staying. If he is treating you like that, he does not love you. Get out of there while you can. Regardless of what he may say, you deserve someone WAY better than him and there are plenty of wonderful men out there that do not treat you like that. I know, I almost married my abusive ex but woke up to it just in time. Then, when I was 24, I married the most amazing, wonderful man who loved me at my absolute heaviest, is celebrating every little weight loss achievement with me because it makes ME happy, and loves me completely unconditionally. That's the kind of man you deserve. And they are out there. Don't settle for less than what you're worth.

How did you manage to get over it and do it? Was it difficult? (if you don't mind talking about it, of course)

I don't mind, I really hope you can learn from my mistakes, I unfortunately took way too long to leave.

First, I had to realize it for what it was. Abuse, plain and simple. He was abusing me and your guy is abusing you. And as others have said, it goes from emotional to physical REALLY quickly.

Second, to admit it WILL NOT get better. Because it didn't, and it won't for you either. He will NOT get better, I can not emphasize that enough. Do not hold out for something that will not happen. He will never be the guy that you initially fell for again. He will only get WORSE. Again, I can not emphasize that enough.

OP, do NOT stick around until the physical abuse starts, I promise you, NO ONE is worth enduring that. It's really, really hard, it was probably one of the hardest things I've ever done and it was DEFINITELY the best, you have to break it off. Because of the nature of the relationship, I did not do it in private because I didn't trust myself or him in that kind of a setting but I told him it was over. That's even how I said it, I just said it's over. He will probably freak out to some extent (I know mine did), he may try to win you back. DO. NOT. FALL. FOR. IT. Do NOT believe anything he says because he will tell you all kinds of lies to get you back under his control. DO. NOT. LET. HIM. Be firm on this. Walk away. It'll hurt for a little while, yes, but not nearly as much as it hurts if you stay.

Wow, you sound like you're a strong person. I have come to terms with the first one but I'm struggling with the second one at the moment. I feel as if I'm not ready to leave yet, but I guess that there will never be the right moment, I'll have to make it for myself. You are truly inspiring for me, I am really glad that things worked out for you and that you have an amazing husband! If this problem ever gets fixed one way or another, I would like you to know now that you have helped me just by telling me how you got through it all and that there's a possibility of having a better life.
    Thank you so much for that.

There is no "right time" or "right moment" if you wait for it. Do it and don't look back with regret. Learn what you don't have to put up with and look forward. If you really want to study abroad work towards that goal and don't bother with the whole "I need to be in a relationship because.........." mentality.

I am not in the relationship with him because of that, it's just what I had been planning my life on and I hadn't really developed another alternative such as a plan B in case this didn't work out, it was/is quite naive of me now that I come to think of it.

Always have a Plan B and a Plan C... and sometimes a plan D.
  • justnan00
    justnan00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The perfect guy who will treat you right is out there, but he can't find you while you are wasting time with this loser.
    Get out, take care of yourself, work on regaining your strength and confidence. Live your life doing what is best for you. One day when you least expect it, you'll meet the guy who is right for you.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Just the mere thought of you and him away in a foreign country together, removed from everything that is safe and familiar gives me the chills.

Quoting this to highlight it again.

OP, you can still do these things, on your own and you will be stronger for it. But I agree with Snickerscharlie here. If you feel scared and stuck now, imagine what that will feel like when you are in a foreign country and isolated from friends, family, and anything familiar. Getting tied in this much to a guy who has shown that he wants to control and manipulate you at the cost to your own mental health is not someone that you want to be relying on for anything, much less for everything. This makes me scared for you. You can still find a way to go, just do it without him.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Just the mere thought of you and him away in a foreign country together, removed from everything that is safe and familiar gives me the chills.

Quoting this to highlight it again.

OP, you can still do these things, on your own and you will be stronger for it. But I agree with Snickerscharlie here. If you feel scared and stuck now, imagine what that will feel like when you are in a foreign country and isolated from friends, family, and anything familiar. Getting tied in this much to a guy who has shown that he wants to control and manipulate you at the cost to your own mental health is not someone that you want to be relying on for anything, much less for everything. This makes me scared for you. You can still find a way to go, just do it without him.

Agreed.
    I moved from Australia to Canada 10 years ago. It was daunting enough without an abusive person in my life.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
    Gang aft a-gley
    -Robert Burns
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You are 18, you are still very young but you are still classified an adult. You need to realise sooner rather than later people are going to try to manipulate, lie, steal and cheat you and if they see a weakness in your character you are you are going to suffer majorly. This will happen in relationships, friendships, at work etc... You need to learn who and when to CUT people quickly. Energy vampires.

You are obviously not going to listen to all the posts telling you to leave him.. You will end up leaving him, maybe months, years down the track. The quicker you do it the less impact on your own psychology.

I think someone said it best above when they said grow a pair, tough love little one. Good Luck!
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious post?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi guys!
    I have a slight problem here, I started losing weight a week ago because I weighed myself in front of my boyfriend for the same time and I weighed 66.4kg while he weighed 70kg.
    He instantly started complaining about how he doesn't want his girlfriend to weigh nearly as much as him and how he wants me to weigh less. This is the first time he has ever said anything negative about my weight, I'm 5'8" and slightly chubby. However, I had been thinking about losing a bit of weight for some time so I allowed him to say that and reduced my calories, started eating healthy and exercising.
    Ever since then all he does everyday is tell me that I'm still fat and need to lose more (I'm not fat, I'm chubby, my BMI is healthy and I'm a size 10/12).
    Whenever I tell him that I'm cooking he tells me to watch what I eat, I just informed him that I lost two kilograms in a week and he told me that I need to lose at least 10? We have been in a relationship for 2 years and meanwhile his standards are really high to the point of being unfair, they never have physically.
    I feel as if when I get the body I want I will resent him for only being attractive to such a slim body, he said that it's a "fair exchange" because he has a "hot" body???
    While his body is nice, he has a normal body, nothing extraordinary and I felt quite offended by it.
    How do I get over this problem? It's really bugging me. Oh, he also gets like this with other things such as my intelligence, calling me a retard, idiot,etc.
    How should I solve all of this?

I have not read the other replies, but......

Why are you with this guy? He sounds very disrespectful and controlling.

You're 5 ft 8 and around 145 pounds and he calls you fat?

You call you fat too?

You are normal weight for your height.

Dump that dude and find someone a whole lot nicer.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

Ever since then all he does everyday is tell me that I'm still fat and need to lose more

Oh, he also gets like this with other things such as my intelligence, calling me a retard, idiot,etc.

this makes me so sad...

Very sad.

Ir is very sad indeed.