Done with it!

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    late...but in...for the MFP forum tone debate....

You 'sound' hostile. LMAO. ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    edited January 2017
    ogtmama wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For the record I just think that sayingeat whatever you want/the only thing that matters is cico is simply over-simplified to the point of being untrue.

Of course technically if you stay under your calorie goal you'll lose weight BUT what you eat (your level of satiety, your energy level, etc) has an immense contribution to how difficult/ easy/sustainable it is.

It's on the same level as saying there's no such thing as a plateau/stall...you know perfectly well that all they mean os that their scale has stopped moving and they don't know why...or that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...don't be ridiculous, its perfectly obvious that people assume you are comparing like volumes.

I think it's difficult to remember after seeing so many of the exact.same.ridiculous.question we forget that it's still new to the person asking it. They truly don't know and if the goal really is to help them than be welcoming and kind not snarky and sarcastic to amuse your friends.

I disagree very much...that was exactly what got me going. I had tried a few different diet plans over the years and always lasted about two weeks because all of them had me going from eating like X to eating like Y overnight or they were super restrictive, etc...I crashed and burned every single time.

When I figured out that I could eat what I was eating, just less, that was a big time start for me...it wasn't the end, just a start and something I was able to work with and evolve my diet from there. It made things very easy and made the transition to eating better much easier.

Well...I guess we agree to disagree...some of us can't eat whatever we want because we'd eat one bowl of ice cream for breakfast and starve the rest of the day. You need to be clearer about what you mean...that's what I mean by over simplified.

Eta: god the typos.

One bowl of ice cream is nowhere near enough to "starve the rest of the day". And the only way you don't eat ice cream for breakfast is by telling yourself you can't have any ice cream at all ever?

To be fair, that depends on the size of the bowl. This is where we have to separate eating what we want to from eating how much we want to. There are some foods that I don't eat more than once or twice a year because I only like to eat them in large enough quantities that they really limit what I eat the rest of the day.

I just had a conversation with my husband about this over lunch today. I don't eat tomato soup with saltines anymore because I only like that combo when I can use an entire sleeve (or more) of saltines in one bowl of soup. That's something like 550 calories of just crackers, which would be a splurge for me because that kind of cracker intake wouldn't do much to get me to my protein and fat goals for the day.

None of that overrides the truth of CICO, of course.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I actually agree in the sense that people should think about their tone - just because a veteran user of the forums has heard xyz a hundred times before doesn't give them the right to talk to people like they are idiots. I like to eat fresh prepared food from fresh ingredients and I think it's healthier for me to snack on an apple instead of cheetos but that opinion just gets scorned and patronized. It's so reductionist it's almost comical. I'd like to see newcomers with questions about cleanses or sugar or whatever treated gently and with respect, not this sneering three word answer rudeness that comes so often now.

who is advocating cheetos over apples?
  • ndj1979
    AngelinaB_ wrote: »
    It is different for everybody. I have tried CICO alone esting what I want and at some point I feel I also need to control or avoid certain food groups, along with CICO. And the inflammation thingy becomes a problem for many people after 40 but not all. It is a pain in the butt and gets muxh better when avoiding or limiting certain foods. Some ways of eating promotes CICO too at least for me. I know if I eat a lot of starchy carbs specifically breads I get hungrier and want to keep eating whereas if I eat proteins I don't tent to overeat. So, yes. CICO matters, food choices matters, everything matters. But it is different to everybody so

CICO is a math formula, it has nothing to do with food choice.
  • ndj1979
    I could NOT agree more. This is not a one size fits all thing at all. Some people do have medical snags that keep it from being as easy as it is for others. When the calories in vs calories out gets complicated is when someones calories are not as easy to get out as others. When a person's BMR is very low even with plenty of exercise it is much more difficult because the calories in that person's allowance are also very low. And that's not always easy to maintain.

When I was in my 20's it seemed like the weight would just fall right off if I gained any. Now twice as old it is definitely not just that easy. I am glad to see this post because there are a LOT of people here who need to learn to understand this very thing.

even with a medical condition, it is still CICO ...

• Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    For the record I just think that sayingeat whatever you want/the only thing that matters is cico is simply over-simplified to the point of being untrue.

Of course technically if you stay under your calorie goal you'll lose weight BUT what you eat (your level of satiety, your energy level, etc) has an immense contribution to how difficult/ easy/sustainable it is.

It's on the same level as saying there's no such thing as a plateau/stall...you know perfectly well that all they mean os that their scale has stopped moving and they don't know why...or that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...don't be ridiculous, its perfectly obvious that people assume you are comparing like volumes.

I think it's difficult to remember after seeing so many of the exact.same.ridiculous.question we forget that it's still new to the person asking it. They truly don't know and if the goal really is to help them than be welcoming and kind not snarky and sarcastic to amuse your friends.

I disagree very much...that was exactly what got me going. I had tried a few different diet plans over the years and always lasted about two weeks because all of them had me going from eating like X to eating like Y overnight or they were super restrictive, etc...I crashed and burned every single time.

When I figured out that I could eat what I was eating, just less, that was a big time start for me...it wasn't the end, just a start and something I was able to work with and evolve my diet from there. It made things very easy and made the transition to eating better much easier.

Well...I guess we agree to disagree...some of us can't eat whatever we want because we'd eat one bowl of ice cream for breakfast and starve the rest of the day. You need to be clearer about what you mean...that's what I mean by over simplified.

One bowl of ice cream is nowhere near enough to "starve the rest of the day". And the only way you don't eat ice cream for breakfast is by telling yourself you can't have any ice cream at all ever?

To be fair, that depends on the size of the bowl. This is where we have to separate eating what we want to from eating how much we want to. There are some foods that I don't eat more than once or twice a year because I only like to eat them in large enough quantities that they really limit what I eat the rest of the day.

I just had a conversation with my husband about this over lunch today. I don't eat tomato soup with saltines anymore because I only like that combo when I can use an entire sleeve (or more) of saltines in one bowl of soup. That's something like 550 calories of just crackers, which would be a splurge for me because that kind of cracker intake wouldn't do much to get me to my protein and fat goals for the day.

YES! Another person that eats a whole sleeve of saltines with tomato soup! My husband thinks I am nuts. A couple of weeks ago, I skipped breakfast and lunch just so I could have my tomato soup, saltines (whole sleeve) and grilled cheese. I had been craving it, so I planned it and went for it!
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Silliness about my eating habits aside, @ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken where has someone insisted people eat junk. I've never seen it, just that you do not have to cut it out completely if you don't want to.

That is the point I try to make, you don't have to cut out a food group if you don't want to. When people post and say I know I have to stop eating x,y,z to lose weight people will tell them that is not true.

OP
    The post that really bother a lot of people I Think are the ones saying I was told I can eat as much of A,B, and C but can't have X,Y, and Z if I want to lose weight. People will respond by explaining CICO because it seems the person is confused. People are not trying to be mean but are trying to explain in a straight forward way.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Emily3907 wrote: »

YES! Another person that eats a whole sleeve of saltines with tomato soup! My husband thinks I am nuts. A couple of weeks ago, I skipped breakfast and lunch just so I could have my tomato soup, saltines (whole sleeve) and grilled cheese. I had been craving it, so I planned it and went for it!

You guys are eating your tomato soup wrong-Fritos goes in the soup, not puny crackers :D
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member

You guys are eating your tomato soup wrong-Fritos goes in the soup, not puny crackers :D

I have never heard of this. It sounds salty but the Fritos would probably hold up well. One of the reasons I like so many crackers is that I like how dry it makes the soup. Like @Emily3907 's husband, my husband thinks I am crazy when I say that.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    OP - I've noticed that we here rarely just answer a question. If you ask how to sew on a button, we'll tell you that zippers are better, hook&loop more fun, snaps scientifically proven to improve your closure experience...

You're absolutely right. Sometimes this turns out to be a good thing, like when someone asks about easy to digest foods, we'll suggest she get a pregnancy test, and turn out to be wiser than the MD, emergency room, and naturopath :dizzy:

IKR??? Posters who didn't beat around the bush and worry about insulting or offending that OP saved her possibly a month or more of struggling to eat and feeling crappy, not to mention other choices she might have made and regretted because she didn't know she was expecting!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

Just exercise more. ;)
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I try to be very nice but I do get concerned about people who want to try diets that aren't sustainable. I don't want to see anyone fail because they erroneously believe that they "can't" have potatoes, or full fat dairy, or a glass of wine. I also don't want people to put their own health at risk. This whole weight loss thing is a journey and we need to come to terms with taking is slow, enjoying the journey, and learning how to eat in ways that make our bodies feel super great.

I'm diabetic and I accept that people on the forum will always want to know WHY a poster is considering a low carb diet. Personally, I respect that. I don't want a person thinking that they HAVE to eat this way to lose weight. It takes commitment and you really have to pay attention to your day as a whole. I've never had anyone be disrespectful to me about my choice. Maybe it is because I have a medical reason to moderate my carb intake. I have no idea. All I know is that I'm generally treated with respect here.

Some people CAN'T have some of those things. Why do so many people here not understand that some people can and some really can't? People are way too hung up on deciding that everyone can and should have everything any day and at anytime. This is just not the case for everyone. There needs to be more respect for others as no one here knows personally what is the case for an internet stranger. Some people really do have to avoid certain foods altogether. But there is this large crowd with criticism at the ready for anyone who feels they want to eliminate that which has been dragging them down. I don't see where that is ever going to help anyone.

I've never seen anybody here "not understand that some people can and some really can't" have certain foods or make certain dietary choices. I moderate carbs due to my own medical issues and preferences. I've never been told that is wrong to do. I've extremely limited certain foods due to a tendency to them being so tempting that I have a hard time eating them in moderation and I've never been told that is wrong to do either. Where are you seeing this happen?

Some time ago I had this happen from a "veteran" member.

After reading some of the labels on some foods that I was eating I decided to eliminate them instead of moderating them. I was told by this "veteran" that I would fail...I must have an eating disorder...I had no will power if I eliminated instead of moderating. There was no misunderstanding of what he said and what he meant.

The difference between me and the OP...I make my own choices and don't really care what someone else thinks. My decisions on what I eat are based on my own needs and the research that I have done.

This "veteran" went on my "pay no attention to list".

I think that there are several people on this site that have never participated on forums before. Many are much worse that this place...you have to develop tough skin sometimes to survive on the internet. I was a little surprised that a diet site could get so argumentative but at least so far no one has told that I deserved to be beaten, raped and murdered! LOL

When someone says that they can't control themselves around a food one of the things that gets asked is are you going to avoid this food forever. Moderation can be different for everyone I have a dark chocolate bar in my fridge I moderate and only eat a couple peices when I want but for other people that can be difficult. My weakness is cashews I will eat the whole container in one sitting, some people can have a handful and be done not me. I won't stop eating them but I will get one single serving pack once in a while. This is how I moderate cashews and I recommend it to everyone over food elimination.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member

I have never heard of this. It sounds salty but the Fritos would probably hold up well. One of the reasons I like so many crackers is that I like how dry it makes the soup. Like @Emily3907 's husband, my husband thinks I am crazy when I say that.

Dry soup? How can soup be dry?

sb548.gif
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    jprewitt1 wrote: »

Dry soup? How can soup be dry?

sb548.gif

I get it. Not so much "dry" but it makes the soup more like a porridge consistency and not so thin. This sounds grosser than it tastes, but when I eat tomato soup with my desired amount of crackers, I could probably eat it with a fork.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    To bounce off what I said earlier, I don't always like the advice given here, either. Over a year ago I started a thread to figure out how we can give better advice on these boards. That was a freaking constructive post and it didn't change one damn thing. It didn't change the advice being given and it didn't change the frequency of people who complain about the advice being given. (I'll note, most of the people who were complaining about how advice is given at the time didn't even bother to add suggestions).

My personal bugaboo is plateau threads. I don't like that the emphasis is so often only on food scales. I think that it misses a lot of the other really common problems (forgetting to log cooking oils, using bad or generic entries, etc). But rather than rail against those giving advice or derail a dozen threads a day, I sat down and built my 9-step list of what I needed to hear when I hit my own plateau. I try to hit as many posts a day with it as I can. On a good day, when I feel inclined to help and I haven't been beaten down by these boards, I hit 5-10 plateau threads a day. It's been a lot fewer lately.

I think it's easy to complain when you come here and don't get the advice that you want to get. I think it's easy to flounce, to chalk it up to a bad board environment and write everyone off. I think it's easy to say: "This is the internet, grow a thicker skin." But it's harder to dig in and actually try and engage with the community in a positive way. To be the change that you want to see. I can't manage it some days. I'm still perpetually in awe of those who can manage it. And I wish a whole lot more people would try. We could use the help around here.

But then again, I'm not a super-duper well muscled young man who may or may not be the person in my profile picture. Maybe the OP only dislikes it when guys give her advice. Who can tell these days.

You are well-intentioned and I salute you, but trying to change the boards and the way people post is next to immpossible. New people are coming on board daily and lots of experienced posters leave for various reasons. Things are always changing. I post alot differently than I did when I started almost 4 years ago. I hope for the better. Newbies need time to mature on here, and they make mistakes. I think we all just have to do the best we can, and then call it a day. Don't get discouraged--you give alot, and it's appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.