Done with it!

16791112

Replies

  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    For the record I just think that sayingeat whatever you want/the only thing that matters is cico is simply over-simplified to the point of being untrue.

    Of course technically if you stay under your calorie goal you'll lose weight BUT what you eat (your level of satiety, your energy level, etc) has an immense contribution to how difficult/ easy/sustainable it is.

    It's on the same level as saying there's no such thing as a plateau/stall...you know perfectly well that all they mean os that their scale has stopped moving and they don't know why...or that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...don't be ridiculous, its perfectly obvious that people assume you are comparing like volumes.

    I think it's difficult to remember after seeing so many of the exact.same.ridiculous.question we forget that it's still new to the person asking it. They truly don't know and if the goal really is to help them than be welcoming and kind not snarky and sarcastic to amuse your friends.

    I disagree very much...that was exactly what got me going. I had tried a few different diet plans over the years and always lasted about two weeks because all of them had me going from eating like X to eating like Y overnight or they were super restrictive, etc...I crashed and burned every single time.

    When I figured out that I could eat what I was eating, just less, that was a big time start for me...it wasn't the end, just a start and something I was able to work with and evolve my diet from there. It made things very easy and made the transition to eating better much easier.

    Well...I guess we agree to disagree...some of us can't eat whatever we want because we'd eat one bowl of ice cream for breakfast and starve the rest of the day. You need to be clearer about what you mean...that's what I mean by over simplified.

    Eta: god the typos.

    One bowl of ice cream is nowhere near enough to "starve the rest of the day". And the only way you don't eat ice cream for breakfast is by telling yourself you can't have any ice cream at all ever?

    To be fair, that depends on the size of the bowl. This is where we have to separate eating what we want to from eating how much we want to. There are some foods that I don't eat more than once or twice a year because I only like to eat them in large enough quantities that they really limit what I eat the rest of the day.

    I just had a conversation with my husband about this over lunch today. I don't eat tomato soup with saltines anymore because I only like that combo when I can use an entire sleeve (or more) of saltines in one bowl of soup. That's something like 550 calories of just crackers, which would be a splurge for me because that kind of cracker intake wouldn't do much to get me to my protein and fat goals for the day.

    None of that overrides the truth of CICO, of course.

    YES! Another person that eats a whole sleeve of saltines with tomato soup! My husband thinks I am nuts. A couple of weeks ago, I skipped breakfast and lunch just so I could have my tomato soup, saltines (whole sleeve) and grilled cheese. I had been craving it, so I planned it and went for it!

    You guys are eating your tomato soup wrong-Fritos goes in the soup, not puny crackers :D

    I have never heard of this. It sounds salty but the Fritos would probably hold up well. One of the reasons I like so many crackers is that I like how dry it makes the soup. Like @Emily3907 's husband, my husband thinks I am crazy when I say that.

    Dry soup? How can soup be dry?

    sb548.gif

    I get it. Not so much "dry" but it makes the soup more like a porridge consistency and not so thin. This sounds grosser than it tastes, but when I eat tomato soup with my desired amount of crackers, I could probably eat it with a fork.

    I was hoping your explanation would make it sound better, but that just make it sound worse. Soup with a fork? hp90.gif
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,460 Member
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    For the record I just think that sayingeat whatever you want/the only thing that matters is cico is simply over-simplified to the point of being untrue.

    Of course technically if you stay under your calorie goal you'll lose weight BUT what you eat (your level of satiety, your energy level, etc) has an immense contribution to how difficult/ easy/sustainable it is.

    It's on the same level as saying there's no such thing as a plateau/stall...you know perfectly well that all they mean os that their scale has stopped moving and they don't know why...or that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...don't be ridiculous, its perfectly obvious that people assume you are comparing like volumes.

    I think it's difficult to remember after seeing so many of the exact.same.ridiculous.question we forget that it's still new to the person asking it. They truly don't know and if the goal really is to help them than be welcoming and kind not snarky and sarcastic to amuse your friends.

    I disagree very much...that was exactly what got me going. I had tried a few different diet plans over the years and always lasted about two weeks because all of them had me going from eating like X to eating like Y overnight or they were super restrictive, etc...I crashed and burned every single time.

    When I figured out that I could eat what I was eating, just less, that was a big time start for me...it wasn't the end, just a start and something I was able to work with and evolve my diet from there. It made things very easy and made the transition to eating better much easier.

    Well...I guess we agree to disagree...some of us can't eat whatever we want because we'd eat one bowl of ice cream for breakfast and starve the rest of the day. You need to be clearer about what you mean...that's what I mean by over simplified.

    Eta: god the typos.

    One bowl of ice cream is nowhere near enough to "starve the rest of the day". And the only way you don't eat ice cream for breakfast is by telling yourself you can't have any ice cream at all ever?

    To be fair, that depends on the size of the bowl. This is where we have to separate eating what we want to from eating how much we want to. There are some foods that I don't eat more than once or twice a year because I only like to eat them in large enough quantities that they really limit what I eat the rest of the day.

    I just had a conversation with my husband about this over lunch today. I don't eat tomato soup with saltines anymore because I only like that combo when I can use an entire sleeve (or more) of saltines in one bowl of soup. That's something like 550 calories of just crackers, which would be a splurge for me because that kind of cracker intake wouldn't do much to get me to my protein and fat goals for the day.

    None of that overrides the truth of CICO, of course.

    YES! Another person that eats a whole sleeve of saltines with tomato soup! My husband thinks I am nuts. A couple of weeks ago, I skipped breakfast and lunch just so I could have my tomato soup, saltines (whole sleeve) and grilled cheese. I had been craving it, so I planned it and went for it!

    You guys are eating your tomato soup wrong-Fritos goes in the soup, not puny crackers :D

    I have never heard of this. It sounds salty but the Fritos would probably hold up well. One of the reasons I like so many crackers is that I like how dry it makes the soup. Like @Emily3907 's husband, my husband thinks I am crazy when I say that.

    Dry soup? How can soup be dry?

    sb548.gif

    I get it. Not so much "dry" but it makes the soup more like a porridge consistency and not so thin. This sounds grosser than it tastes, but when I eat tomato soup with my desired amount of crackers, I could probably eat it with a fork.

    I was hoping your explanation would make it sound better, but that just make it sound worse. Soup with a fork? hp90.gif

    Lol - it sounds nuts, but it is soooo good. Especially on a cold day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,626 Member
    ogtmama wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    For the record I just think that sayingeat whatever you want/the only thing that matters is cico is simply over-simplified to the point of being untrue.

    Of course technically if you stay under your calorie goal you'll lose weight BUT what you eat (your level of satiety, your energy level, etc) has an immense contribution to how difficult/ easy/sustainable it is.

    It's on the same level as saying there's no such thing as a plateau/stall...you know perfectly well that all they mean os that their scale has stopped moving and they don't know why...or that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...don't be ridiculous, its perfectly obvious that people assume you are comparing like volumes.

    I think it's difficult to remember after seeing so many of the exact.same.ridiculous.question we forget that it's still new to the person asking it. They truly don't know and if the goal really is to help them than be welcoming and kind not snarky and sarcastic to amuse your friends.

    I disagree very much...that was exactly what got me going. I had tried a few different diet plans over the years and always lasted about two weeks because all of them had me going from eating like X to eating like Y overnight or they were super restrictive, etc...I crashed and burned every single time.

    When I figured out that I could eat what I was eating, just less, that was a big time start for me...it wasn't the end, just a start and something I was able to work with and evolve my diet from there. It made things very easy and made the transition to eating better much easier.

    Well...I guess we agree to disagree...some of us can't eat whatever we want because we'd eat one bowl of ice cream for breakfast and starve the rest of the day. You need to be clearer about what you mean...that's what I mean by over simplified.

    Eta: god the typos.

    Yup, what I want is a pint of Ben & Jerry's S'mores...1240 calories. Just can't fit that in.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    For the record I just think that sayingeat whatever you want/the only thing that matters is cico is simply over-simplified to the point of being untrue.

    Of course technically if you stay under your calorie goal you'll lose weight BUT what you eat (your level of satiety, your energy level, etc) has an immense contribution to how difficult/ easy/sustainable it is.

    It's on the same level as saying there's no such thing as a plateau/stall...you know perfectly well that all they mean os that their scale has stopped moving and they don't know why...or that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...don't be ridiculous, its perfectly obvious that people assume you are comparing like volumes.

    I think it's difficult to remember after seeing so many of the exact.same.ridiculous.question we forget that it's still new to the person asking it. They truly don't know and if the goal really is to help them than be welcoming and kind not snarky and sarcastic to amuse your friends.

    I disagree very much...that was exactly what got me going. I had tried a few different diet plans over the years and always lasted about two weeks because all of them had me going from eating like X to eating like Y overnight or they were super restrictive, etc...I crashed and burned every single time.

    When I figured out that I could eat what I was eating, just less, that was a big time start for me...it wasn't the end, just a start and something I was able to work with and evolve my diet from there. It made things very easy and made the transition to eating better much easier.

    Well...I guess we agree to disagree...some of us can't eat whatever we want because we'd eat one bowl of ice cream for breakfast and starve the rest of the day. You need to be clearer about what you mean...that's what I mean by over simplified.

    Eta: god the typos.

    One bowl of ice cream is nowhere near enough to "starve the rest of the day". And the only way you don't eat ice cream for breakfast is by telling yourself you can't have any ice cream at all ever?

    To be fair, that depends on the size of the bowl. This is where we have to separate eating what we want to from eating how much we want to. There are some foods that I don't eat more than once or twice a year because I only like to eat them in large enough quantities that they really limit what I eat the rest of the day.

    I just had a conversation with my husband about this over lunch today. I don't eat tomato soup with saltines anymore because I only like that combo when I can use an entire sleeve (or more) of saltines in one bowl of soup. That's something like 550 calories of just crackers, which would be a splurge for me because that kind of cracker intake wouldn't do much to get me to my protein and fat goals for the day.

    None of that overrides the truth of CICO, of course.

    YES! Another person that eats a whole sleeve of saltines with tomato soup! My husband thinks I am nuts. A couple of weeks ago, I skipped breakfast and lunch just so I could have my tomato soup, saltines (whole sleeve) and grilled cheese. I had been craving it, so I planned it and went for it!

    You guys are eating your tomato soup wrong-Fritos goes in the soup, not puny crackers :D

    I have never heard of this. It sounds salty but the Fritos would probably hold up well. One of the reasons I like so many crackers is that I like how dry it makes the soup. Like @Emily3907 's husband, my husband thinks I am crazy when I say that.

    I don't put them all in at once, so I don't get the dry soup, but I do have a can of campbells and a tube of saltines on a cold day. Tried doing just the half tube, but it wasn't right.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,626 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I try to be very nice but I do get concerned about people who want to try diets that aren't sustainable. I don't want to see anyone fail because they erroneously believe that they "can't" have potatoes, or full fat dairy, or a glass of wine. I also don't want people to put their own health at risk. This whole weight loss thing is a journey and we need to come to terms with taking is slow, enjoying the journey, and learning how to eat in ways that make our bodies feel super great.

    I'm diabetic and I accept that people on the forum will always want to know WHY a poster is considering a low carb diet. Personally, I respect that. I don't want a person thinking that they HAVE to eat this way to lose weight. It takes commitment and you really have to pay attention to your day as a whole. I've never had anyone be disrespectful to me about my choice. Maybe it is because I have a medical reason to moderate my carb intake. I have no idea. All I know is that I'm generally treated with respect here.

    Some people CAN'T have some of those things. Why do so many people here not understand that some people can and some really can't? People are way too hung up on deciding that everyone can and should have everything any day and at anytime. This is just not the case for everyone. There needs to be more respect for others as no one here knows personally what is the case for an internet stranger. Some people really do have to avoid certain foods altogether. But there is this large crowd with criticism at the ready for anyone who feels they want to eliminate that which has been dragging them down. I don't see where that is ever going to help anyone.

    I've never seen anybody here "not understand that some people can and some really can't" have certain foods or make certain dietary choices. I moderate carbs due to my own medical issues and preferences. I've never been told that is wrong to do. I've extremely limited certain foods due to a tendency to them being so tempting that I have a hard time eating them in moderation and I've never been told that is wrong to do either. Where are you seeing this happen?

    Some time ago I had this happen from a "veteran" member.

    After reading some of the labels on some foods that I was eating I decided to eliminate them instead of moderating them. I was told by this "veteran" that I would fail...I must have an eating disorder...I had no will power if I eliminated instead of moderating. There was no misunderstanding of what he said and what he meant.

    The difference between me and the OP...I make my own choices and don't really care what someone else thinks. My decisions on what I eat are based on my own needs and the research that I have done.

    This "veteran" went on my "pay no attention to list".

    [snip]

    Ya, there's some hard core Moderators here who cannot put themselves in the shoes of Abstainers.

    http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    edited January 2017
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I try to be very nice but I do get concerned about people who want to try diets that aren't sustainable. I don't want to see anyone fail because they erroneously believe that they "can't" have potatoes, or full fat dairy, or a glass of wine. I also don't want people to put their own health at risk. This whole weight loss thing is a journey and we need to come to terms with taking is slow, enjoying the journey, and learning how to eat in ways that make our bodies feel super great.

    I'm diabetic and I accept that people on the forum will always want to know WHY a poster is considering a low carb diet. Personally, I respect that. I don't want a person thinking that they HAVE to eat this way to lose weight. It takes commitment and you really have to pay attention to your day as a whole. I've never had anyone be disrespectful to me about my choice. Maybe it is because I have a medical reason to moderate my carb intake. I have no idea. All I know is that I'm generally treated with respect here.

    Some people CAN'T have some of those things. Why do so many people here not understand that some people can and some really can't? People are way too hung up on deciding that everyone can and should have everything any day and at anytime. This is just not the case for everyone. There needs to be more respect for others as no one here knows personally what is the case for an internet stranger. Some people really do have to avoid certain foods altogether. But there is this large crowd with criticism at the ready for anyone who feels they want to eliminate that which has been dragging them down. I don't see where that is ever going to help anyone.

    I've never seen anybody here "not understand that some people can and some really can't" have certain foods or make certain dietary choices. I moderate carbs due to my own medical issues and preferences. I've never been told that is wrong to do. I've extremely limited certain foods due to a tendency to them being so tempting that I have a hard time eating them in moderation and I've never been told that is wrong to do either. Where are you seeing this happen?

    Some time ago I had this happen from a "veteran" member.

    After reading some of the labels on some foods that I was eating I decided to eliminate them instead of moderating them. I was told by this "veteran" that I would fail...I must have an eating disorder...I had no will power if I eliminated instead of moderating. There was no misunderstanding of what he said and what he meant.

    The difference between me and the OP...I make my own choices and don't really care what someone else thinks. My decisions on what I eat are based on my own needs and the research that I have done.

    This "veteran" went on my "pay no attention to list".

    I think that there are several people on this site that have never participated on forums before. Many are much worse that this place...you have to develop tough skin sometimes to survive on the internet. I was a little surprised that a diet site could get so argumentative but at least so far no one has told that I deserved to be beaten, raped and murdered! LOL

    When someone says that they can't control themselves around a food one of the things that gets asked is are you going to avoid this food forever. Moderation can be different for everyone I have a dark chocolate bar in my fridge I moderate and only eat a couple peices when I want but for other people that can be difficult. My weakness is cashews I will eat the whole container in one sitting, some people can have a handful and be done not me. I won't stop eating them but I will get one single serving pack once in a while. This is how I moderate cashews and I recommend it to everyone over food elimination.

    We had a really interesting thread a while back comparing the thought processes and end results between abstainers and moderators. It turns out that the end result is relatively similar for both camps. The diaries compared at the time looked almost the same. They each had about the same percentage of sweets, they both had foods they didn't each much of, and they both had plenty of nutritious foods in their diets. The moderators, like myself, often had foods that they'd eat maybe once or twice a year, they just didn't consider it cutting that food out since they might still have it occasionally. And several of the abstainers said that they'd include foods that they'd cut out maybe once or twice a year on special occasions. I found that thread really interesting because there was so much common ground between the two camps. It's just how each preferred to talk and think about their diet that seemed to be different.

    There's really no point to me bringing this up other than that your post reminded me that thread even existed.

    Edited to add: because I can't read today apparently. Ignore this note.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,273 Member
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    For the record I just think that sayingeat whatever you want/the only thing that matters is cico is simply over-simplified to the point of being untrue.

    Of course technically if you stay under your calorie goal you'll lose weight BUT what you eat (your level of satiety, your energy level, etc) has an immense contribution to how difficult/ easy/sustainable it is.

    It's on the same level as saying there's no such thing as a plateau/stall...you know perfectly well that all they mean os that their scale has stopped moving and they don't know why...or that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...don't be ridiculous, its perfectly obvious that people assume you are comparing like volumes.

    I think it's difficult to remember after seeing so many of the exact.same.ridiculous.question we forget that it's still new to the person asking it. They truly don't know and if the goal really is to help them than be welcoming and kind not snarky and sarcastic to amuse your friends.

    I disagree very much...that was exactly what got me going. I had tried a few different diet plans over the years and always lasted about two weeks because all of them had me going from eating like X to eating like Y overnight or they were super restrictive, etc...I crashed and burned every single time.

    When I figured out that I could eat what I was eating, just less, that was a big time start for me...it wasn't the end, just a start and something I was able to work with and evolve my diet from there. It made things very easy and made the transition to eating better much easier.

    Well...I guess we agree to disagree...some of us can't eat whatever we want because we'd eat one bowl of ice cream for breakfast and starve the rest of the day. You need to be clearer about what you mean...that's what I mean by over simplified.

    Eta: god the typos.

    One bowl of ice cream is nowhere near enough to "starve the rest of the day". And the only way you don't eat ice cream for breakfast is by telling yourself you can't have any ice cream at all ever?

    To be fair, that depends on the size of the bowl. This is where we have to separate eating what we want to from eating how much we want to. There are some foods that I don't eat more than once or twice a year because I only like to eat them in large enough quantities that they really limit what I eat the rest of the day.

    I just had a conversation with my husband about this over lunch today. I don't eat tomato soup with saltines anymore because I only like that combo when I can use an entire sleeve (or more) of saltines in one bowl of soup. That's something like 550 calories of just crackers, which would be a splurge for me because that kind of cracker intake wouldn't do much to get me to my protein and fat goals for the day.

    None of that overrides the truth of CICO, of course.

    YES! Another person that eats a whole sleeve of saltines with tomato soup! My husband thinks I am nuts. A couple of weeks ago, I skipped breakfast and lunch just so I could have my tomato soup, saltines (whole sleeve) and grilled cheese. I had been craving it, so I planned it and went for it!

    You guys are eating your tomato soup wrong-Fritos goes in the soup, not puny crackers :D

    I have never heard of this. It sounds salty but the Fritos would probably hold up well. One of the reasons I like so many crackers is that I like how dry it makes the soup. Like @Emily3907 's husband, my husband thinks I am crazy when I say that.

    Dry soup? How can soup be dry?

    sb548.gif

    I get it. Not so much "dry" but it makes the soup more like a porridge consistency and not so thin. This sounds grosser than it tastes, but when I eat tomato soup with my desired amount of crackers, I could probably eat it with a fork.

    I was hoping your explanation would make it sound better, but that just make it sound worse. Soup with a fork? hp90.gif

    Lol - it sounds nuts, but it is soooo good. Especially on a cold day.

    Dry soup is a thing!

    I like it dry enough that the crackers scratch as they go down. So good.

  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,626 Member
    Izzy62 wrote: »
    Not my food choices, I'm happy with what I am doing, I'm done with reading these forums.

    I'm done with reading comments from super well muscled young men (looking at the picture - may or may not be you) telling me, a 55 year old, overweight, intelligent, pre-diabetic woman that it is all CICO.
    Every post which mentions an alternative diet choice is promptly and efficiently, put down with a comment such as "why cut it out?" "It's all a matter of CICO" .

    Choosing an eating plan is sometimes way more than a choice to cut out certain things, it may be the thing that saves people's lives, makes them feel better (physically or psychologically), or may be advice from someone medically trained.

    There is nothing "wrong" with trying a low carb diet, it may or may not be right for you. Try low fat, try just eating less of everything. Just try until you find what works for you.

    Ultimately, yes it boils down to CICO, but they way people get to that is their own business and they are here because they are looking for advice on the choice they have made. It is not inherently unhealthy to eat paleo, nor low carb, nor low fat, it is definitely unhealthy to remain overweight.

    Just give people a bit of a break and try encouraging their decision to help themselves by losing the weight, not always putting down the way they choose to do it.

    This reminds me of a Lyle McDonald video I just watched in which he was complaining about men who lift weights insisting that IIFYM works for everyone, when in fact it may not be a good choice for women who are much smaller and simply don't have the calories to play with.

  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    As a moderator, I get it. I know I can have a box of small bags of chips and have one every second or third night without eating them all. But I get that others can't and would finish the box off. I know if I didn't have the small bags, it be off to the store for a family sized bag that would last two days. So I eat them in moderation and respect that others can't have them at all. But I can still have them and lose weight AND be healthier than I was.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    For the record I just think that sayingeat whatever you want/the only thing that matters is cico is simply over-simplified to the point of being untrue.

    Of course technically if you stay under your calorie goal you'll lose weight BUT what you eat (your level of satiety, your energy level, etc) has an immense contribution to how difficult/ easy/sustainable it is.

    It's on the same level as saying there's no such thing as a plateau/stall...you know perfectly well that all they mean os that their scale has stopped moving and they don't know why...or that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...don't be ridiculous, its perfectly obvious that people assume you are comparing like volumes.

    I think it's difficult to remember after seeing so many of the exact.same.ridiculous.question we forget that it's still new to the person asking it. They truly don't know and if the goal really is to help them than be welcoming and kind not snarky and sarcastic to amuse your friends.

    I disagree very much...that was exactly what got me going. I had tried a few different diet plans over the years and always lasted about two weeks because all of them had me going from eating like X to eating like Y overnight or they were super restrictive, etc...I crashed and burned every single time.

    When I figured out that I could eat what I was eating, just less, that was a big time start for me...it wasn't the end, just a start and something I was able to work with and evolve my diet from there. It made things very easy and made the transition to eating better much easier.

    Well...I guess we agree to disagree...some of us can't eat whatever we want because we'd eat one bowl of ice cream for breakfast and starve the rest of the day. You need to be clearer about what you mean...that's what I mean by over simplified.

    Eta: god the typos.

    One bowl of ice cream is nowhere near enough to "starve the rest of the day". And the only way you don't eat ice cream for breakfast is by telling yourself you can't have any ice cream at all ever?

    To be fair, that depends on the size of the bowl. This is where we have to separate eating what we want to from eating how much we want to. There are some foods that I don't eat more than once or twice a year because I only like to eat them in large enough quantities that they really limit what I eat the rest of the day.

    I just had a conversation with my husband about this over lunch today. I don't eat tomato soup with saltines anymore because I only like that combo when I can use an entire sleeve (or more) of saltines in one bowl of soup. That's something like 550 calories of just crackers, which would be a splurge for me because that kind of cracker intake wouldn't do much to get me to my protein and fat goals for the day.

    None of that overrides the truth of CICO, of course.

    YES! Another person that eats a whole sleeve of saltines with tomato soup! My husband thinks I am nuts. A couple of weeks ago, I skipped breakfast and lunch just so I could have my tomato soup, saltines (whole sleeve) and grilled cheese. I had been craving it, so I planned it and went for it!

    You guys are eating your tomato soup wrong-Fritos goes in the soup, not puny crackers :D

    I have never heard of this. It sounds salty but the Fritos would probably hold up well. One of the reasons I like so many crackers is that I like how dry it makes the soup. Like @Emily3907 's husband, my husband thinks I am crazy when I say that.

    Dry soup? How can soup be dry?

    sb548.gif

    It's not dry it's thick soup
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,273 Member
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    For the record I just think that sayingeat whatever you want/the only thing that matters is cico is simply over-simplified to the point of being untrue.

    Of course technically if you stay under your calorie goal you'll lose weight BUT what you eat (your level of satiety, your energy level, etc) has an immense contribution to how difficult/ easy/sustainable it is.

    It's on the same level as saying there's no such thing as a plateau/stall...you know perfectly well that all they mean os that their scale has stopped moving and they don't know why...or that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...don't be ridiculous, its perfectly obvious that people assume you are comparing like volumes.

    I think it's difficult to remember after seeing so many of the exact.same.ridiculous.question we forget that it's still new to the person asking it. They truly don't know and if the goal really is to help them than be welcoming and kind not snarky and sarcastic to amuse your friends.

    I disagree very much...that was exactly what got me going. I had tried a few different diet plans over the years and always lasted about two weeks because all of them had me going from eating like X to eating like Y overnight or they were super restrictive, etc...I crashed and burned every single time.

    When I figured out that I could eat what I was eating, just less, that was a big time start for me...it wasn't the end, just a start and something I was able to work with and evolve my diet from there. It made things very easy and made the transition to eating better much easier.

    Well...I guess we agree to disagree...some of us can't eat whatever we want because we'd eat one bowl of ice cream for breakfast and starve the rest of the day. You need to be clearer about what you mean...that's what I mean by over simplified.

    Eta: god the typos.

    One bowl of ice cream is nowhere near enough to "starve the rest of the day". And the only way you don't eat ice cream for breakfast is by telling yourself you can't have any ice cream at all ever?

    To be fair, that depends on the size of the bowl. This is where we have to separate eating what we want to from eating how much we want to. There are some foods that I don't eat more than once or twice a year because I only like to eat them in large enough quantities that they really limit what I eat the rest of the day.

    I just had a conversation with my husband about this over lunch today. I don't eat tomato soup with saltines anymore because I only like that combo when I can use an entire sleeve (or more) of saltines in one bowl of soup. That's something like 550 calories of just crackers, which would be a splurge for me because that kind of cracker intake wouldn't do much to get me to my protein and fat goals for the day.

    None of that overrides the truth of CICO, of course.

    YES! Another person that eats a whole sleeve of saltines with tomato soup! My husband thinks I am nuts. A couple of weeks ago, I skipped breakfast and lunch just so I could have my tomato soup, saltines (whole sleeve) and grilled cheese. I had been craving it, so I planned it and went for it!

    You guys are eating your tomato soup wrong-Fritos goes in the soup, not puny crackers :D

    Grilled Cheese sandwiches in tomato soup is the one true way.

    Well now that is just weird :lol:
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I want to know where these well muscled young men are, I deserve a birthday treat.............
    Happy Birthday! It's my birthday today too!!! Let's go eat some cake!!!

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    It's not my birthday but I will celebrate with you lol
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    For the record I just think that sayingeat whatever you want/the only thing that matters is cico is simply over-simplified to the point of being untrue.

    Of course technically if you stay under your calorie goal you'll lose weight BUT what you eat (your level of satiety, your energy level, etc) has an immense contribution to how difficult/ easy/sustainable it is.

    It's on the same level as saying there's no such thing as a plateau/stall...you know perfectly well that all they mean os that their scale has stopped moving and they don't know why...or that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...don't be ridiculous, its perfectly obvious that people assume you are comparing like volumes.

    I think it's difficult to remember after seeing so many of the exact.same.ridiculous.question we forget that it's still new to the person asking it. They truly don't know and if the goal really is to help them than be welcoming and kind not snarky and sarcastic to amuse your friends.

    I disagree very much...that was exactly what got me going. I had tried a few different diet plans over the years and always lasted about two weeks because all of them had me going from eating like X to eating like Y overnight or they were super restrictive, etc...I crashed and burned every single time.

    When I figured out that I could eat what I was eating, just less, that was a big time start for me...it wasn't the end, just a start and something I was able to work with and evolve my diet from there. It made things very easy and made the transition to eating better much easier.

    Well...I guess we agree to disagree...some of us can't eat whatever we want because we'd eat one bowl of ice cream for breakfast and starve the rest of the day. You need to be clearer about what you mean...that's what I mean by over simplified.

    Eta: god the typos.

    One bowl of ice cream is nowhere near enough to "starve the rest of the day". And the only way you don't eat ice cream for breakfast is by telling yourself you can't have any ice cream at all ever?

    To be fair, that depends on the size of the bowl. This is where we have to separate eating what we want to from eating how much we want to. There are some foods that I don't eat more than once or twice a year because I only like to eat them in large enough quantities that they really limit what I eat the rest of the day.

    I just had a conversation with my husband about this over lunch today. I don't eat tomato soup with saltines anymore because I only like that combo when I can use an entire sleeve (or more) of saltines in one bowl of soup. That's something like 550 calories of just crackers, which would be a splurge for me because that kind of cracker intake wouldn't do much to get me to my protein and fat goals for the day.

    None of that overrides the truth of CICO, of course.

    YES! Another person that eats a whole sleeve of saltines with tomato soup! My husband thinks I am nuts. A couple of weeks ago, I skipped breakfast and lunch just so I could have my tomato soup, saltines (whole sleeve) and grilled cheese. I had been craving it, so I planned it and went for it!

    You guys are eating your tomato soup wrong-Fritos goes in the soup, not puny crackers :D

    Grilled Cheese sandwiches in tomato soup is the one true way.

    tuna melt + tomato soup . . . not to split hairs or anything

    IMG_4465.JPG

  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    AngelinaB_ wrote: »
    I know if I eat a lot of starchy carbs specifically breads I get hungrier and want to keep eating whereas if I eat proteins I don't tent to overeat. So, yes. CICO matters, food choices matters, everything matters. But it is different to everybody so

    No one says food choice doesn't matter for satiety or nutrition.

    It wasn't direct it to your comment but the OP, but thanks for reply. I agree with what you said.

  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    For the record I just think that sayingeat whatever you want/the only thing that matters is cico is simply over-simplified to the point of being untrue.

    Of course technically if you stay under your calorie goal you'll lose weight BUT what you eat (your level of satiety, your energy level, etc) has an immense contribution to how difficult/ easy/sustainable it is.

    It's on the same level as saying there's no such thing as a plateau/stall...you know perfectly well that all they mean os that their scale has stopped moving and they don't know why...or that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...don't be ridiculous, its perfectly obvious that people assume you are comparing like volumes.

    I think it's difficult to remember after seeing so many of the exact.same.ridiculous.question we forget that it's still new to the person asking it. They truly don't know and if the goal really is to help them than be welcoming and kind not snarky and sarcastic to amuse your friends.

    I disagree very much...that was exactly what got me going. I had tried a few different diet plans over the years and always lasted about two weeks because all of them had me going from eating like X to eating like Y overnight or they were super restrictive, etc...I crashed and burned every single time.

    When I figured out that I could eat what I was eating, just less, that was a big time start for me...it wasn't the end, just a start and something I was able to work with and evolve my diet from there. It made things very easy and made the transition to eating better much easier.

    Well...I guess we agree to disagree...some of us can't eat whatever we want because we'd eat one bowl of ice cream for breakfast and starve the rest of the day. You need to be clearer about what you mean...that's what I mean by over simplified.

    Eta: god the typos.

    One bowl of ice cream is nowhere near enough to "starve the rest of the day". And the only way you don't eat ice cream for breakfast is by telling yourself you can't have any ice cream at all ever?

    To be fair, that depends on the size of the bowl. This is where we have to separate eating what we want to from eating how much we want to. There are some foods that I don't eat more than once or twice a year because I only like to eat them in large enough quantities that they really limit what I eat the rest of the day.

    I just had a conversation with my husband about this over lunch today. I don't eat tomato soup with saltines anymore because I only like that combo when I can use an entire sleeve (or more) of saltines in one bowl of soup. That's something like 550 calories of just crackers, which would be a splurge for me because that kind of cracker intake wouldn't do much to get me to my protein and fat goals for the day.

    None of that overrides the truth of CICO, of course.

    YES! Another person that eats a whole sleeve of saltines with tomato soup! My husband thinks I am nuts. A couple of weeks ago, I skipped breakfast and lunch just so I could have my tomato soup, saltines (whole sleeve) and grilled cheese. I had been craving it, so I planned it and went for it!

    You guys are eating your tomato soup wrong-Fritos goes in the soup, not puny crackers :D

    I have never heard of this. It sounds salty but the Fritos would probably hold up well. One of the reasons I like so many crackers is that I like how dry it makes the soup. Like @Emily3907 's husband, my husband thinks I am crazy when I say that.

    Dry soup? How can soup be dry?

    sb548.gif

    I get it. Not so much "dry" but it makes the soup more like a porridge consistency and not so thin. This sounds grosser than it tastes, but when I eat tomato soup with my desired amount of crackers, I could probably eat it with a fork.

    I was hoping your explanation would make it sound better, but that just make it sound worse. Soup with a fork? hp90.gif

    Lol - it sounds nuts, but it is soooo good. Especially on a cold day.

    Dry soup is a thing!

    I like it dry enough that the crackers scratch as they go down. So good.

    I'm the same, except I prefer Ritz crackers in mine because it gives it a nice sweet taste (and it's the way my Paw Paw would make it when I was a little girl).

    Campbell's Tomato Soup + a *kitten*ton of Ritz crackers = nostalgic heaven.

    Those little Ritz crackers with cheese in them are really great for tomato soup. Think I'm having tomato soup and crackers for dinner soon.
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Do whatever works for you. It's better to do a plan/program and get out of dangerous weight bracket than to try CICO and not succeed because your mind ultimately needs the plan/program to follow to succeed.

    Lots of armchair dietitians/doctors on here. Do not listen to them. Even nutritionists are just glorified calorie counters.

    Only genuine accurate diet advice can come from a dietitian and they will say-find what works for you and give you guidance.

This discussion has been closed.