Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Replies

• JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    just posted this yesterday in another thread, but feel it applies to this thread perfectly since the bulk of my results have been due to lifting.

for reference - i'm 5'10" - 66lbs down - size 12/14 to size 4/6.

before -

0sd01yzw8uh5.png

current -

zqjwnc4jwpec.png

You look phenomenal. Would you mind sharing your starting weight? Thank you.

Damn
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Care76 wrote: »
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I lifted in the past until I got really sick and lost all my muscle. I started back Again, and here are my progress photos from May 14 to today.

q8glmm1q3dm5.jpg

Great job! But I really wanted to wish you well and say I hope you're feeling better.

Ditto - glad to hear you're getting your disease under control and doing well! But I wanted to add that I just love your smile in that second photo... :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    What lifting has done for me. 6 month ago I hit a major plateau. Was stuck at about 220lbs. Today, I went back to school shopping with my daughter. SIZE 10 Levi's boyfriend cut (no stretchy stuff, 100% cotton). Snug on glutes and quads, looser on waist (no muffin top!!!). I have NEVER been a size 10, ever!

Yeah girl! And hi from NYC. I'm in Brooklyn.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    What lifting has done for me. 6 month ago I hit a major plateau. Was stuck at about 220lbs. Today, I went back to school shopping with my daughter. SIZE 10 Levi's boyfriend cut (no stretchy stuff, 100% cotton). Snug on glutes and quads, looser on waist (no muffin top!!!). I have NEVER been a size 10, ever!

Thanks!. Hi from El Paso, TX. I just love how "bulky" lifting weights is making me. Can't wait to get even "bulkier" and have a 6-pack.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member

Thanks!. Hi from El Paso, TX. I just love how "bulky" lifting weights is making me. Can't wait to get even "bulkier" and have a 6-pack.

Sorry, your profile says Manhattan NY.. But TX is good too lol.

I have bulked while lifting. It's a thing. But not in a deficit :) And I didn't look bulky. Just super soft.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited August 2017

I have bulked while lifting. It's a thing. But not in a deficit :) And I didn't look bulky. Just super soft.

Um, had one weirdo on here start to stalk me, so I entered a random zip code. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh I know, my trainer & I have a running joke that I was just "bulking" for 20 years. We did a massive cut at the beginning, but now when we're bulking, I don't see the fat, I see mass gains (also when I hate him the most as my everything ends up sore). We do 90 cut, 45 day bulk now (because I still have a good amount of excess fat to lose). I was joking about when people try to tell me (and probably you), that lifting weights will make women bulky.

You look amazing btw.

You see gains in a 45 day bulk as a female? You must have mad genetics.

I also have to question a trainer who 1. runs 45 day bulks and 2. has you bulk at all when you still have a lot of excess fat.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Um, had one weirdo on here start to stalk me, so I entered a random zip code. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh I know, my trainer & I have a running joke that I was just "bulking" for 20 years. We did a massive cut at the beginning, but now when we're bulking, I don't see the fat, I see mass gains (also when I hate him the most as my everything ends up sore). We do 90 cut, 45 day bulk now (because I still have a good amount of excess fat to lose). I was joking about when people try to tell me (and probably you), that lifting weights will make women bulky.

You look amazing btw.

I also have to question a trainer who 1. runs 45 day bulks and 2. has you bulk at all when you still have a lot of excess fat.

My goals include being extremely muscular for a woman. Natural bodybuilder size, so I don't mind the bulking process because we cut a bit more fat than we bulk every time. Looking at old photos of my mom, grandmother's (both), aunt's, and one great grandmother, they were all pretty strong women. Especially my maternal grandmother, at 60, she had a very muscular upper body. So I do have a genetic disposition to build muscle, as long as I actually do the work (some people don't understand that even with a predisposition for something, it's not magic, I still have to work at it). My sister is the only one that was ever little (but that's because she was anorexic - she's recovered now FYI). Even at her smallest though, she still had a wider build.

I put a lot of trust in my trainer, seeing the results (I have actual traps! Biceps, lats, triceps) and am leaner, it's easy for me to just go with the plan. To be honest, during those 45 days, the lifting is brutal!!! I am always sore, at least one part of my body is just sore at any given time. I also end up significantly stronger after those 45 days. The difference in weights from day 1 to day 45 can be quite big.

A lot is about personal goals, I don't want to be "thin" or "skinny" which is very different from most women. I really do want to be massively muscular with a lower body fat percentage. I want to have visible pectoral muscles without flexing.

Everyone is different, this is working for me to get me to where I want to be. It's working, I'm healthier, I'm closer to my goals. So I just stick with it.

I'd be really curious to see pictures of your progress. I don't understand bulking while you still have excess fat or how you're able to even bulk effectively in 45 days.

I know you've posted pictures before, but your Photobucket isn't playing nicely with MFP. Just upload them here. It's really hard to visualize how this kind of training program plays out because it's so counter-intuitive.
  • VeronicaA76

You look amazing btw.

My goals include being extremely muscular for a woman. Natural bodybuilder size, so I don't mind the bulking process because we cut a bit more fat than we bulk every time. Looking at old photos of my mom, grandmother's (both), aunt's, and one great grandmother, they were all pretty strong women. Especially my maternal grandmother, at 60, she had a very muscular upper body. So I do have a genetic disposition to build muscle, as long as I actually do the work (some people don't understand that even with a predisposition for something, it's not magic, I still have to work at it). My sister is the only one that was ever little (but that's because she was anorexic - she's recovered now FYI). Even at her smallest though, she still had a wider build.

I put a lot of trust in my trainer, seeing the results (I have actual traps! Biceps, lats, triceps) and am leaner, it's easy for me to just go with the plan. To be honest, during those 45 days, the lifting is brutal!!! I am always sore, at least one part of my body is just sore at any given time. I also end up significantly stronger after those 45 days. The difference in weights from day 1 to day 45 can be quite big.

A lot is about personal goals, I don't want to be "thin" or "skinny" which is very different from most women. I really do want to be massively muscular with a lower body fat percentage. I want to have visible pectoral muscles without flexing.

Everyone is different, this is working for me to get me to where I want to be. It's working, I'm healthier, I'm closer to my goals. So I just stick with it.

I'd be really curious to see pictures of your progress. I don't understand bulking while you still have excess fat or how you're able to even bulk effectively in 45 days.

I know you've posted pictures before, but your Photobucket isn't playing nicely with MFP. Just upload them here. It's really hard to visualize how this kind of training program plays out because it's so counter-intuitive.

I don't have a paid photobucket account, so I can't post pictures other than on my home page. I know it's counterintuitive, I had to fight the urge to quit a few times, before seeing actual results (now I just trust him without being concerned about the method, if it works - it works) But, for some reason it's working for me. I haven't figured out how to upload pics to the boards from my phone. I also have a Body Space account. VArmendariz which has a lot more of my progress photos.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

You look amazing btw.

Yeah, I'd be curious too. Even the genetically gifted with perfect programming, nutrition maximised, everything very carefully and tightly managed would be very very lucky to gain 1lb of lean mass in a surplus in a month. I can't imagine how that would be visible at all, particularly when adding fat to an already overfat base (not saying that in an insulting way, by your own admission you have excess fat).

And anyone wanting to look like a gifted builder when starting in their 40s is going to have a hard enough time getting visible results never mind when they haven't got lean enough to see what base they're working with. I don't know how you can effectively assess progress and tweak your training.
  • VeronicaA76

You look amazing btw.

Yeah, I'd be curious too. Even the genetically gifted with perfect programming, nutrition maximised, everything very carefully and tightly managed would be very very lucky to gain 1lb of lean mass in a surplus in a month. I can't imagine how that would be visible at all, particularly when adding fat to an already overfat base (not saying that in an insulting way, by your own admission you have excess fat).

And anyone wanting to look like a gifted builder when starting in their 40s is going to have a hard enough time getting visible results never mind when they haven't got lean enough to see what base they're working with. I don't know how you can effectively assess progress and tweak your training.

1. Look up "Ernestine Sheppard" to see what starting late can look like. Just WOW!!!! Seriously, she is absolutely inspirational!
    2. I haven't figured out how to upload photos on these threads , I don't have a paid photobucket account.
    3. I do have some progress pics on my home page, a whole bunch more on my BodySpace account.
    4. My trainer is the one that tweaks my workouts, based on my input (amount I lift, how I'm feeling, flexed/unflexed photos and so on). And these are weekly tweaks in response to daily updatea. My legs build a lot quicker than my upper body, but are slower on losing fat... He tweeked my workouts to help even me out for better proportions and to maximize my potential. (I know spot reducing fat is a myth - we just work on overall fat reduction and hope my body responds the way I want it to, if not, oh well)
    5. Sometimes it really sucks, I want results so I stick with it. You have no idea of how much I am tired of plain chicken and fish and plain vegetables (lightly steamed or raw) and rice. But, I want the results more.

My BodySpace account is VArmendariz FYI.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

You look amazing btw.

1. Look up "Ernestine Sheppard" to see what starting late can look like. Just WOW!!!! Seriously, she is absolutely inspirational!
    2. I haven't figured out how to upload photos on these threads , I don't have a paid photobucket account.
    3. I do have some progress pics on my home page, a whole bunch more on my BodySpace account.
    4. My trainer is the one that tweaks my workouts, based on my input (amount I lift, how I'm feeling, flexed/unflexed photos and so on). And these are weekly tweaks in response to daily updatea. My legs build a lot quicker than my upper body, but are slower on losing fat... He tweeked my workouts to help even me out for better proportions and to maximize my potential. (I know spot reducing fat is a myth - we just work on overall fat reduction and hope my body responds the way I want it to, if not, oh well)
    5. Sometimes it really sucks, I want results so I stick with it. You have no idea of how much I am tired of plain chicken and fish and plain vegetables (lightly steamed or raw) and rice. But, I want the results more.

My BodySpace account is VArmendariz FYI.

I looked up your bodyspace account. You've had tremendous results from fat loss, and I can see what look like apparent results of lifting in a deficit, but nothing that would be indicative of muscle gains (bulking).

It's generally accepted that even in ideal conditions, a woman can only gain a pound of muscle in a month, though there are some exceptions, and you might have gained some muscle tissue as an untrained newbie, though those gains have likely plateaued at this point.

Your strength gains will likely continue at the point, so keep going, because you will continue to look smaller at a higher weight for lifting.

I still don't understand the point of bulking until you reach an ideal body fat, but I'll leave that to you and your trainer.