Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I prefer skim milk. Even did before I was losing weight. Guess that's about as popular as not liking Oreos.

Me too. I don't like any milk, but if I'm drinking it you can be sure it will be skim. I hate the creamy taste of milk.

I grew up on skim milk and never could get used to the texture of 2% or whole milk. I didn't like the way it coated my mouth.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    I prefer skim milk. Even did before I was losing weight. Guess that's about as popular as not liking Oreos.

Me, too. And for the unpopular opinion trifecta, I not only prefer skim milk and dislike Oreos, I don't like Halo Top either. Tried multiple flavors, gave up.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    [quote Me, too. And for the unpopular opinion trifecta, I not only prefer skim milk and dislike Oreos, I don't like Halo Top either. Tried multiple flavors, gave up.[/quote]

@AnnPT77, I don't like Oreos or Halo Tip either. Even as a child, the only Oreos I remotely liked were the double-stuff.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

Oh don't worry. I don't like bacon, steak, fried chicken, or donuts. I'll keep you company.

Don't frikken lump me in with any of those dislikes.

The fried chicken and donuts I can mostly keep away from, but I don't not like them. Bacon and steak are staples to me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Me, too. And for the unpopular opinion trifecta, I not only prefer skim milk and dislike Oreos, I don't like Halo Top either. Tried multiple flavors, gave up.

I tried 2 flavours on holidays. Liked one and didn't like the other one.

Don't even remember which ones as I can't get them up here anyway.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Oh don't worry. I don't like bacon, steak, fried chicken, or donuts. I'll keep you company.

Don't frikken lump me in with any of those dislikes.

The fried chicken and donuts I can mostly keep away from, but I don't not like them. Bacon and steak are staples to me.

Exactly ;). I meant I will keep you company in the unpopular preferences corner, as you can see that's pretty unpopular.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Also much prefer skim milk. I've been drinking it since I was 15. Standard milk just tastes too fatty to me (yet I will happily put cream in my coffee if I happen to have it on hand). Not sure I've ever tried an oreo, though we can get them in NZ now, but no Halo Top.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Anybody else drink Fairlife ultra-pasteurized milks? More protein and less sugar than than regular milk, and they're smoother than their regular milk counterparts at respective fat levels.

Added bonus, they're shelf stable for a very long time, so I don't have to worry about them spoiling if I got a week or 2 without milk.
  • NEOHgirl
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    [Not sure I've ever tried an oreo, though we can get them in NZ now, but no Halo Top.

Imagine two of the the thinnest, driest cookies ever, more like a cracker with just a slight cocoa taste, sandwiched around a thin slice of fondant icing. And then when you eat it, you have visible chocolate crumbs in every crevice of your teeth until you floss for an hour. No thank you. I swear as a kid half the time I'd eat the fondant cream in the middle & throw out the cookie. These days I don't even like fondant.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2017
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Anybody else drink Fairlife ultra-pasteurized milks? More protein and less sugar than than regular milk, and they're smoother than their regular milk counterparts at respective fat levels.

Added bonus, they're shelf stable for a very long time, so I don't have to worry about them spoiling if I got a week or 2 without milk.

And they cost 2-4+ times as much as the store brand milk (my area at least). That's what the Coke marketing gets you.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

In NZ, our added calcium skim milk is higher protein (but same sugar), and there is also now a reduced fat milk with higher protein.

The amount of milk I go through, I really don't have to worry about it spoiling!
  • robm1brown
    robm1brown Posts: 71 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

Me too. I don't like any milk, but if I'm drinking it you can be sure it will be skim. I hate the creamy taste of milk.

I stopped drinking milk and orange juice after I started logging my diet years ago. My diet has enough vitamins and calcium without them; I didn't particularly like milk (although I still consume dairy through yogurt and cheese), and OJ had more sugar than I wanted to drink. My dad thought it was bizarre not to drink milk and OJ every morning because that is what our family did growing up, but legacy habits lack allure if they don't serve any other purpose.

The two things I drink loads of with far less guilt now I am calorie counting compared to how 'diets' treat them.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

And they cost 2-4+ times as much as the store brand milk (my area at least). That's what the Coke marketing gets you.

The price different amounts to like 25 cents per serving, for a better tasting product with twice the protein. I've never seen any marking or advertising for it, but for me it's well worth the tiny extra expense.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

The price different amounts to like 25 cents per serving, for a better tasting product with twice the protein. I've never seen any marking or advertising for it, but for me it's well worth the tiny extra expense.

Sure if you like it go for it. Locally a gallon of store milk is $0.98 and 52 oz of Fairlife is $2.98 so we see a significant difference, especially when we drink 3+ gallons a week.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    [Not sure I've ever tried an oreo, though we can get them in NZ now, but no Halo Top.

Imagine two of the the thinnest, driest cookies ever, more like a cracker with just a slight cocoa taste, sandwiched around a thin slice of fondant icing. And then when you eat it, you have visible chocolate crumbs in every crevice of your teeth until you floss for an hour. No thank you. I swear as a kid half the time I'd eat the fondant cream in the middle & throw out the cookie. These days I don't even like fondant.

Fondant is crazy hard and not good. The cream filling in an Oreo is not fondant.
  • NEOHgirl
    "Fondant is crazy hard and not good. The cream filling in an Oreo is not fondant.". I'm sure it's not really fondant, but it's the closest thing I've ever found to the center of an Oreo when trying to describe it to someone that's never had it. At least it was the closes when I've been working with the fondant, not when it's been sitting on the cake for a while. It's been several years since my fondant-experimenting days though, so my memory might be a bit hazy.
This discussion has been closed.