Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

which is the best diet for overall health and weight loss

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    imfornd wrote: »
    bottom line 40% is too high - 20% is better - especially when you can get the ATP you need from Fat content - FAT is good for you - small amount of sugar you need but not almost half you diet

I am destined to die now since I eat around 45% sometimes more.

I'm surprised I didn't drop dead from all those refeeds I did in the last few months of last year. I was pushing 300+ grams of carbs a day on weekends, easily over 40% of my cals. And yet here I am, slim, healthy (other than eczema and hay fever, which have no connection to carb or sugar intake, might have tested that one already...), perfect blood work (including A1C). I are special snowflake?

Not sure what others think, but I think you're pretty special.....

Aw, thanks :) (I'm just going to assume you mean in a good way!).
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    bottom line 40% is too high - 20% is better - especially when you can get the ATP you need from Fat content - FAT is good for you - small amount of sugar you need but not almost half you diet

I'm surprised I didn't drop dead from all those refeeds I did in the last few months of last year. I was pushing 300+ grams of carbs a day on weekends, easily over 40% of my cals. And yet here I am, slim, healthy (other than eczema and hay fever, which have no connection to carb or sugar intake, might have tested that one already...), perfect blood work (including A1C). I are special snowflake?

<3 Special Snowflake... lol

I am pushing about 250-275 a day right now daily, maintaining weight, feel great, stamina to do lots of exercise and I will be 50 veeeeerrry soon.

I ran 10 miles today (training run this morning), I wonder if carbs had anything to do with that???

I pay so little attention to my carb intake (and none to sugar). So long as I'm hitting my protein and fat goals (and please note bro guy that fat is far from low), I honestly don't care where the rest of the cals fall, other than enough carbs to fuel activity and that's usually going to be over 30%. When the damn weather cools down enough to start running again, it will be higher. I am seriously perplexed as to why healthy, non-diabetic individuals should be remotely scared of carbohydrates. Did we get any sources on that yet?

(secretly waiting for Bro Dude to make outrageous claims about how people in the Palaeolithic ate...)

Please! Please! Please! I'll even throw in some cherries on top!!!!!!!!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Having kasha with roasted sweet potatoes and peas for dinner. According to the recipe builder, that's 92 grams of carby goodness right there (Including 12g fibre and 15g sugar). I will enjoy every luscious carb, plus the 16 grams of protein, 8 grams of fat, 32% of my potassium RDA, 18% of my iron RDA and enough Vitamin A to give me superpowers*.

*According to the recipe builder, it's 630% of the RDA

Just finished my breakfast/lunch. 66g of carbs (along with 67g protein and 16g fat). And I ain't even skeered. Come at me, bro.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

I am pushing about 250-275 a day right now daily, maintaining weight, feel great, stamina to do lots of exercise and I will be 50 veeeeerrry soon.

I ran 10 miles today (training run this morning), I wonder if carbs had anything to do with that???

I pay so little attention to my carb intake (and none to sugar). So long as I'm hitting my protein and fat goals (and please note bro guy that fat is far from low), I honestly don't care where the rest of the cals fall, other than enough carbs to fuel activity and that's usually going to be over 30%. When the damn weather cools down enough to start running again, it will be higher. I am seriously perplexed as to why healthy, non-diabetic individuals should be remotely scared of carbohydrates. Did we get any sources on that yet?

(secretly waiting for Bro Dude to make outrageous claims about how people in the Palaeolithic ate...)

I have been quietly waiting for this with my tagging finger at the ready.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

I have been quietly waiting for this with my tagging finger at the ready.

Me too. So much so.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member

I have seen no resources on non-diabetic. Did bro guy leave the building?

I too concentrate on protein and fat first. I NEED dietary fat for hormonal balance at my age. Protein is essential to for my exercise (lifting and now running back into my schedule). I let the carbs fall too. And I chose good sources, but I also enjoy a good dessert every night as well. :laugh:

If I had to eat 40% protein and 40% fat I would not feel like eating too much of anything else really.

And today is the only nice day this week to be outside. Winter has killed my outdoor running, treadmills are the worst for training. So I have to take it when it comes, I went into work later so I could run, but don't tell anyone. lol
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I too concentrate on protein and fat first. I NEED dietary fat for hormonal balance at my age. Protein is essential to for my exercise (lifting and now running back into my schedule). I let the carbs fall too. And I chose good sources, but I also enjoy a good dessert every night as well. :laugh:

If I had to eat 40% protein and 40% fat I would not feel like eating too much of anything else really.

And today is the only nice day this week to be outside. Winter has killed my outdoor running, treadmills are the worst for training. So I have to take it when it comes, I went into work later so I could run, but don't tell anyone. lol

Treadmill training is sadness (for me). I mean, I'm grateful I can still run, but it's so monotonous. We're forecasted to have a nicer day tomorrow so I've been dreaming all day of my long run and feeling the sun on my face.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    In the interest of making an on-topic post in this thread: I've realized that I actually "published" my thoughts about "the best diet for overall health and weight loss" right here on MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

As far as I can tell via search, no one has linked it in this thread (despite some kind MFPers occasionally giving it endorsements in other threads), so I will therefore shamelessly self-promote . . . on topic.

This one burst into flames so fast, I don't think anyone thought to bring something that logical in.

But now that you reminded me of OP, I'm faced with a conundrum. Which is going to kill me first - the auto-immune diseases I'm sure to get from GMOs accessing my leaky gut? Or the debil sugars riling up my isulins?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member

Treadmill training is sadness (for me). I mean, I'm grateful I can still run, but it's so monotonous. We're forecasted to have a nicer day tomorrow so I've been dreaming all day of my long run and feeling the sun on my face.

I usually do long runs on Saturdays. Today is/was the last day for the next 7 days, we have rain and more rain starting tonight. I can't win on the weather. I have to say running in sun, 45 degrees this morning was amazing.

I have manged to run 8.5 on my treadmill several weeks ago (a first) and I will never do that again. It was horrible. :sad:

Nothing like a long run on on a Saturday morning in nice weather. Enjoy!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

Just fyi, the npr article is outright lying about the content of the study it's talking about.

No, that never happens in media!

OK, off to read the rest of this trainwreck.
  • TR0berts
    thus the Original OPs post was average - what you are talking about are statistical outliers - in general people who eat less carbs - NOT no Carbs but less carbs - will on average be healthier - 40% is too high - the FDA has us eating 75% of our diet Grains Fruit and veg...... too much sugar under those percentages

Tell me, if my protein is adequate, fat adequate, micros being met, what actual, quantifiable harm is the sugar doing to me however I'm eating it?

Inflammation of soft tissue - Insulin sensitivity (High A1C numbers) - heart disease, peripheral neuropathy for starters

Evidence for this? And not one of the spurious links you've already provided.

here is one https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/peripheral-neuropathy-risk-factors-symptoms#1

This article (which is not the same as a study) is about people with diabetes. Do you have any evidence of this being a concern for the majority of the healthy population, or are we talking about those dreaded outliers again?

and pre-diabetic Hig A1C numbers - 40% carbs is too high ---- and will lead to long term inflamation

What is the basis for this claim?

Anyone else picturing the Howard Stark video that Tony watches in Iron Man 2, where Howard's obviously been drinking a bit?
  • TR0berts
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    This is a true Friday, feel like I haven't had one of these for a while . . .

Surely it's time for cat gifs...

Ask and you shall recieve...
    source.gif

I actually have a ginger cat that chases his tail. Usually on the headboard of the bed at 4am. It's fun.

One of my ginger/orange/buff/red cats likes to play with CPAP mask hoses at 4 in the morning. It's a good thing he's so darned cute.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    thus the Original OPs post was average - what you are talking about are statistical outliers - in general people who eat less carbs - NOT no Carbs but less carbs - will on average be healthier - 40% is too high - the FDA has us eating 75% of our diet Grains Fruit and veg...... too much sugar under those percentages

Tell me, if my protein is adequate, fat adequate, micros being met, what actual, quantifiable harm is the sugar doing to me however I'm eating it?

Inflammation of soft tissue - Insulin sensitivity (High A1C numbers) - heart disease, peripheral neuropathy for starters

Evidence for this? And not one of the spurious links you've already provided.

here is one https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/peripheral-neuropathy-risk-factors-symptoms#1

This article (which is not the same as a study) is about people with diabetes. Do you have any evidence of this being a concern for the majority of the healthy population, or are we talking about those dreaded outliers again?

and pre-diabetic Hig A1C numbers - 40% carbs is too high ---- and will lead to long term inflamation

I live with long term inflammation from a genuine medical condition, and you know what? I eat plenty of carbs and my inflammatory markers are regularly tested to monitor my medical condition. Those markers are perfect.

You know when they weren't perfect?

When I was obese.

You know what changed? Not my diet. It was my weight. I ate carbs then, I eat carbs now.

Yup, technically I have an inflammatory auto-immune disorder. Carbs and sugar make no difference.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

I usually do long runs on Saturdays. Today is/was the last day for the next 7 days, we have rain and more rain starting tonight. I can't win on the weather. I have to say running in sun, 45 degrees this morning was amazing.

I have manged to run 8.5 on my treadmill several weeks ago (a first) and I will never do that again. It was horrible. :sad:

Nothing like a long run on on a Saturday morning in nice weather. Enjoy!

I've got a 10K race Sunday. Looks like -6C, just hoping it doesn't snow before then.

Did 5K on the treadmill yesterday. Hate the treadmill but it's cold and dark outside at 5:30 am.