Apple cider vinegar!

Options

Replies

• MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    nyahela wrote: »
    A friend adviced me to buy apple cider vinegar to loose more. Does it really work?

How many lbs/kgs has your friend lost in total? How many when drinking vinegar and how many when not?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Think of it as a general tonic rather than a PH balancer or a weight loss supplement.

I think if it was proven to help a person to lose weight it would be flying off the shelves and commanding a steep price at the cash register, which of course it is not.

There is no magic aid to weight loss, just perseverance and a lot of healthy food and exercise.

Why, when it isn't?

"General tonics" were sold at circuses and public gatherings in the 1800's for decades. We now know those fraudsters by a different name - snake oil salesmen. ;)

I think the snake oil salesman had a better profit margin on his product.
  • johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Think of it as a general tonic rather than a PH balancer or a weight loss supplement.

I think if it was proven to help a person to lose weight it would be flying off the shelves and commanding a steep price at the cash register, which of course it is not.

There is no magic aid to weight loss, just perseverance and a lot of healthy food and exercise.

Why, when it isn't?

"General tonics" were sold at circuses and public gatherings in the 1800's for decades. We now know those fraudsters by a different name - snake oil salesmen. ;)

What the modern day snake oil salesman lacks in profit margin, he more than makes up for in volume.

Econ 101
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Why, when it isn't?

The Bragg family is doing extremely well with the ridiculously high profit margin they have on their vinegar (when not paying fines for copyright infringement). $8 for a quart of vinegar????
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Why, when it isn't?

The Bragg family is doing extremely well with the ridiculously high profit margin they have on their vinegar (when not paying fines for copyright infringement). $8 for a quart of vinegar????

And how many products get to be displayed prominently in two areas of the store simply by slapping a different label on the bottle? At least at the Safeway where I shop, you can find Bragg's in the vinegar section along with all the other vinegars, and you can find it in the health food/energy/protein supplement section as well with a different label touting the borderline legal bs health claims.

I bet the company employs an entire department devoted to pushing the various health myths on every social media platform via it's own vloggers and media personalities.

Next time I'm in the store I'm going to check to see if there's a difference in price depending on where to product is displayed - never thought of that before.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Next time I'm in the store I'm going to check to see if there's a difference in price depending on where to product is displayed - never thought of that before.

First thing I thought of.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options

Why, when it isn't?

I have never bought any so I had no idea of the cost. Nothing fancy about what type we used but I think I interacted more with vinegar when dying Easter eggs years ago. So it is possible that it cured me then of what I didn't know I had in the first place. B)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Why, when it isn't?

You're paying for 'the mother.' Mrs. Bragg in this case? :D
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Personal testimony: Those McClary things are delish with vodka and soda, maybe (depending on McClary choice) a citrus wedge. Yum.

I have their sampler. <3

Haven't been to Italy, but an Italian-American friend says they have vinegar bars where you can sip a variety of drinking vinegars.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    A tasting of vinegars at a vinegar bar?

Oh dear.

I get that some people truly enjoy the stuff, but I won't pretend that the enjoyment of vinegar is anything I can understand.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Oh dear.

I get that some people truly enjoy the stuff, but I won't pretend that the enjoyment of vinegar is anything I can understand.

I feel the same about Olive Oil samples. Not a lot of point in tasting olive oil by itself, 'm more interested in it's impact on the food I'm eating. But they exist.

Huh. Google suggests the one closest to me is both oil & vinegar.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options

Why, when it isn't?

You're paying for 'the mother.' Mrs. Bragg in this case? :D

There's likely mother in any raw vinegar, not just Bragg's.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Oh dear.

I feel the same about Olive Oil samples. Not a lot of point in tasting olive oil by itself, 'm more interested in it's impact on the food I'm eating. But they exist.

There's a place like that in my neighborhood and some other nearby neighborhoods. I think they are fun.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Oh dear.

Every time I've been at one they have bread you can dip into the oil and vinegar. I enjoy it, but I'm a fan of both vinegar and olive oil.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Oh dear.

One of the more interesting things I did was at a winery in South Africa. They had the usual wine tasting but they also had an option to do an olive oil tasting/blending. They are big on promoting different varietals, not just the blended olive oil typically available. We tasted several different ones and made our own blend based on what we liked. It included a 750ml bottle of our own blend. I never realized how different olive oils were until I tasted some from specific species of olive tree.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options

Why, when it isn't?

For amusement value, I checked at the store (local health food-ish general grocery with a rep for reasonable but not discount pricing for the range they offer).

All of the raw organic ACVs, big name (including Bragg) and store brands were about the same price per bottle, $6.99. One (not Bragg) was $7.49; one brand, new to that store, was on sale for $4.79 (regular $6.19). I didn't check to see if all were exactly a quart, just eyeballed for similarity.

I didn't check the supplement department, but I don't recall seeing vinegar there in the past, not that I was looking. There are ACV "tonics", but they're just fancy soda pop, not comparable.

Heinz non-organic filtered (no mother) ACV is $2.49 for the same size bottle at the local value chain.

FWIW.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Why, when it isn't?

And how many products get to be displayed prominently in two areas of the store simply by slapping a different label on the bottle? At least at the Safeway where I shop, you can find Bragg's in the vinegar section along with all the other vinegars, and you can find it in the health food/energy/protein supplement section as well with a different label touting the borderline legal bs health claims.

I bet the company employs an entire department devoted to pushing the various health myths on every social media platform via it's own vloggers and media personalities.

For the same product to have different prices in a normal supermarket where item UPCs are scanned, the bottles would have to have different UPC codes, and I very much doubt this is the case.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    $5.98 for a quart of Bragg's at my Walmart.