April 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    It is going to be 68F when I start my run and 73F by the time I get back. How does one run in this weather? I do not remember! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Shirtless or tank. It was 90+ here yesterday and 58 now... little bit for everyone guess. How’s the humidity?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I
    Non running question

Which phone do you have?

I do samsung religiously. I recently bought an iPad. I like it. So I considered the apple phone. Dh has an apple phone for work, and hates it. What do you like? What do you dislike? And is there a quality difference? (Honestly I’ll prob stick with the Samsung because “what if I hate the apple” and I’m stuck with it).

I have the iPhone 7+ - it is a great phone and does all that any Andriod phone could do (assuming you are comparing simular level and generation of models). These days there is very little difference in phone FUNCTIONALITY. There have different interfaces and some people like one interface over the other. I have used both, but have gotten used to the "Apple Way" now making Andriod feel a bit clunky to me. The same would be true in reverse if I was used to the "Andriod way"

The biggest advantage of Apple products is privacy, life span, and interoperability.

You only really can take advantage of the interoperability if you are, like me, completely in their ecosystem. So my phone/ipad/laptop are all Apple and I can move seamlessly from one to the other with files, texts, phone calls, whatever.

The big advantage of the Android line is the customizability. They are much easier to tweak to your liking but you give up the interoperability, privacy, and long life span of support of the Apple line.

There are minor differences here and there, but those are the major ones.

In regards to the interoperability I find that I have that with my Samsung too. I just live in the Google ecosystem. So everything syncs among my cell phone, my home laptop, and my work pc. I find it works very smoothly. My phone is a Samsung, work pc is a Dell, and my home laptop is HP but everything connects through google.

@KatieJane83 so you can answer your cell phone on your computer? Send/receive normal text messages (not instant messages) from your computer or non-cell tablet? Copy a URL on your phone and paste it using your computer? Open a webpage on your phone and then decide to read it on your computer and have it pop open there? Etc? Last I looked (been a bit) Andriod was still lagging way behind on that.

This isn’t a feature I’d even want. If I’m on my laptop or tablet, I’m doing something away from my phone. I don’t want to be interrupted with the phone. But, I can transfer files easily between them all. I’d never get anything done if my phone and laptop/tablet received texts and calls.

Transfer files does not require Andriod or Iphone. You can easily do that between the two even, so that is not really a selling feature anymore. :)

I mean really most of this is splitting hairs on preferences. If you prefer Andriod, then get Andriod. I am not going to try and talk you out of it. Maybe if Apple starts paying me to advertise I will change my mind, but until then, I just present the facts best I can and let you make the decision that works for you :)

Oh sure. And that’s why I asked the group. Because I am considering making the switch. I find also somethings work easier on IOS. There is a lot about it i like. But I don’t dislike the android. So... who knows. I really do want an apple phone... but like @Avidkeo mentioned, I can find a cheaper one. I just need something that works. I really do want on though. I mean. I really do... be nice if you could rest drive them...
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I
    Non running question

Which phone do you have?

I do samsung religiously. I recently bought an iPad. I like it. So I considered the apple phone. Dh has an apple phone for work, and hates it. What do you like? What do you dislike? And is there a quality difference? (Honestly I’ll prob stick with the Samsung because “what if I hate the apple” and I’m stuck with it).

I have the iPhone 7+ - it is a great phone and does all that any Andriod phone could do (assuming you are comparing simular level and generation of models). These days there is very little difference in phone FUNCTIONALITY. There have different interfaces and some people like one interface over the other. I have used both, but have gotten used to the "Apple Way" now making Andriod feel a bit clunky to me. The same would be true in reverse if I was used to the "Andriod way"

The biggest advantage of Apple products is privacy, life span, and interoperability.

You only really can take advantage of the interoperability if you are, like me, completely in their ecosystem. So my phone/ipad/laptop are all Apple and I can move seamlessly from one to the other with files, texts, phone calls, whatever.

The big advantage of the Android line is the customizability. They are much easier to tweak to your liking but you give up the interoperability, privacy, and long life span of support of the Apple line.

In regards to the interoperability I find that I have that with my Samsung too. I just live in the Google ecosystem. So everything syncs among my cell phone, my home laptop, and my work pc. I find it works very smoothly. My phone is a Samsung, work pc is a Dell, and my home laptop is HP but everything connects through google.

@KatieJane83 so you can answer your cell phone on your computer? Send/receive normal text messages (not instant messages) from your computer or non-cell tablet? Copy a URL on your phone and paste it using your computer? Open a webpage on your phone and then decide to read it on your computer and have it pop open there? Etc? Last I looked (been a bit) Andriod was still lagging way behind on that.

This isn’t a feature I’d even want. If I’m on my laptop or tablet, I’m doing something away from my phone. I don’t want to be interrupted with the phone. But, I can transfer files easily between them all. I’d never get anything done if my phone and laptop/tablet received texts and calls.

Transfer files does not require Andriod or Iphone. You can easily do that between the two even, so that is not really a selling feature anymore. :)

I mean really most of this is splitting hairs on preferences. If you prefer Andriod, then get Andriod. I am not going to try and talk you out of it. Maybe if Apple starts paying me to advertise I will change my mind, but until then, I just present the facts best I can and let you make the decision that works for you :)

Oh sure. And that’s why I asked the group. Because I am considering making the switch. I find also somethings work easier on IOS. There is a lot about it i like. But I don’t dislike the android. So... who knows. I really do want an apple phone... but like @Avidkeo mentioned, I can find a cheaper one. I just need something that works. I really do want on though. I mean. I really do... be nice if you could rest drive them...

Can you not rent phones in the US? Surely someone has a business doing that lol.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    It is going to be 68F when I start my run and 73F by the time I get back. How does one run in this weather? I do not remember! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Shirtless or tank. It was 90+ here yesterday and 58 now... little bit for everyone guess. How’s the humidity?

Only 39%
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options

It'll come back to you quickly...
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I
    Non running question

Which phone do you have?

Can you not rent phones in the US? Surely someone has a business doing that lol.

Two year payment plans are available. Dh would rather not see it on a monthly bill and just buy it. It’s usually 20-40$ a month depending. So I don’t need the latest and greatest. I’m trying to find that balance in what i need vs a status symbol.
  • Elise4270
    Options

Only 39%

Oh that’s nice!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I
    Non running question

Which phone do you have?

I think that most of the carriers here have phased out their old style of renting you a phone along with your plan and now you just buy the phone outright with your payments split over two years and a certain trade-in value given depending on the phone. It's probably simpler for them that way since phones vary so much in price now and honestly doesn't feel much different as an end-user. Some people prefer to purchase their phone separate from their plans, but I don't think there are independent phone rental programs.

Per the phone question, I'm another Apple ecosystem dweller. Since @PastorVincent talked about the interconnectivity (which I really do enjoy but can't compare to any other system since this is the only smart phone I've used) I'd repeat his point about privacy. Apple probably has the best encryption of any of the phones currently on the market, has taken a reasonably strong stance against questionable government data requests and they offer some pretty great user features like a built-in password manager and face ID on the newer phones. I mean, they're still going to buy and sell your personal data like the incredibly valuable resource it is, but if you want to use a smart phone you're going to sacrifice some privacy no matter what.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    This is a non-running day for me (cross training in a bit) so I will just address @elise4270's non-running question...
    I was a Microsoft person, completely and totally for years and years. Even used to teach classes about the products. It was all I knew and I thrive on all the Office products. Then I got an iPad and loved it and was able to get Excel and Word on the iPad...
    Then my daughter got an iPhone and it was much easier if we both had iPhones to message (no text or data charges for Apple-Apple messaging) and there was FaceTime. The offshore family all got iPhones including my BIL. We couldn't use FT (UAE limitation) but we could text internationally with no charge.
    Then I got an Apple Watch and it talks to my phone and I can answer calls on it if I need to as well as getting texts and I can go back and forth between the two pretty seamlessly. It can also run a whole host of apps independently of the phone (Strava is one I use a lot).
    So when I retired I dumped my Windows PC and got a MAC... I have become a Microsoft hater - I still love the Office Suite but I hate that you can no longer (going forward) own and get support for their products without a subscription (Office365) and the Windows OS will be next. I love my MAC. I own the Office suite for MAC and it works exactly the same as on a Windows PC and all of my devices talk to each other (picture on my phone is instantly on my MAC. Edit it on the MAC and the updated picture is now on my phone...). As @pastorvincent mentioned the security on iPhones is pretty much the best.
    DH is the only holdout now in our family - he has Android and loves it but I find it annoying. He also could not text with his brother overseas without incurring huge charges...
    When it comes right down to it you just have to look at what options/functionality you like or need that each phone has, what you are most comfortable with and the cost.

@elise4270 - You can definitely edit a word in the middle on the iPad without deleting the entire word. If you press on the word it will create a bubble that zooms in on the word and you can move to where you want to edit... probably not describing it clearly so here is a description on an iPhone but it works the same. Also you should be able to tap the word and get a selection of 'correct' replacements to chose from.

RE: Google and Google docs, pictures, etc... Having worked with clients implementing Google Docs, etc. in their business sharing environments the security is just not there. I would not put anything I wouldn't want 'shared' surreptitiously into Google.
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @shanaber well so you can! Thanks! I do find less crashes, freak outs and hiccups with the iPad compared to the windows laptop or android phone. I think I’d like one. I think dh ordered the Samsung 9 and I’ll just have to wait until the next go to do apple. Or I could make him send it back for calling me fat. 🤔

The iPad also charges better. It doesn’t get hot and seems to hold a charge way longer than any of my other devices... gah... think I have apple envy
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have to get through a hectic workday, followed by an easy 4 mile run, an evening of figuring out what in the world to pack and hopefully a good night's sleep before heading out to Boston in the morning. @MobyCarp, I am truly sorry for your situation, but if it's any consolation, current forecasts are predicting conditions similar to last year, so if you are going to have to miss one, this might not be a bad year for it. I still haven't figured out what I am going to wear, am full of doubt from my "lighter load" training plan, and still nursing both of my hamstrings along. I guess I will just have to take what comes my way and hope for the best. If anyone besides me enjoys spending their Patriots Day at work stalking Boston marathon participants, my bib number is 20895. I am not making any guarantees on time (see above) but if start time conditions are good, my plan is to shoot for a 3:45. If it's cold, windy and rainy, my goal will be to shoot for crossing the finish line. Wish me luck...

Yeah, that worries me. I know how to deal with that while running, but it will be a major challenge for spectating. I'm particularly concerned about drenching the liner of the air cast, making it unusable when I need it the next day. Oh, well. Decision has been made, I'll be there and do the best I can. Current thinking is wear the boot as much as possible Saturday and Sunday, then wrap my foot and wear trail shoes on Monday to spectate, while being willing to give up early.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Non running question

Which phone do you have?

I have an iPhone 7, and I'm happy with it. It is the successor to my first smart phone, an iPhone 5.

Way back when I was thinking about my first smart phone, I talked to my daughter about it. She was Android all the way, but advised me to go iPhone because a) I wouldn't need anti-malware software (a cure almost as bad as the disease), b) I'm not interested in hacking through the operating system to do cool stuff, and c) I want it to just work. In addition to that, there was one app I needed that worked well in the iOS version but had problems in the Android version at that time.

Fast forward, and I stay on the iPhone because I don't like having to re-learn how to do stuff I already know how to do. This line of thinking should keep you with Samsung. In addition, that one app from way back when? The Android version grew up, and people are fine with it. But it's linked to an unsupported desktop application, and you can't get a new copy any more. I can download it from the app store because I already have it, but I'd be SOL in the Android world.

To each his own. Apple, Android, they do pretty much the same things. If you're happy with what you have, there's no reason to do something else.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Good luck @lporter229 (and @MobyCarp ) at Boston! Sorry the weather will be a suckfest :s .

Good luck to @garygse on your HM this weekend too! Crap weather for you too :(

Not sure who else is racing this weekend, but best of luck to you! Hope the weather is decent.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Scott6255! Looks like wind and rain all the way, so my coworker may just get to keep the Fastest Half title for this year!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    The greatest feature with the iPhone relates to the courageous decision Apple made in removing that useless headphone jack. Now, instead of plugging in those horrendous old-fashioned wired headphones, you get to spend extra $$$$ on a pair of AirPods that end up holding a charge for a couple of hours (tops), and you have the added bonus of walking around looking like you have a pair of miniature tampons hanging from your ears.

Funny, but sadly other manufacturers are following Apple's lead on this.

Of course, you can use ANY Bluetooth headset with them which is what I was doing long before they gave up the jack. I was very annoyed :unamused: when they took it away, but after a while I realized... I never really used the thing anyway so its impact on me was pretty much nonexistent. I do have the adapter so that I can still plug in wired headphones should I ever want to go back to that impractical (for me) mess that had me replacing headphones whose wires constantly broke where they connected to the jack every few months.

Again, to each their own. Get the one that works for you, but you do not have to stick tampons in your ears, I mean unless that is your thing...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Re: phones. I have an Apple XR and I like it but I’m not sure I needed to spend that much money considering what I do with it. The main reason for me to have an Apple phone is the connectivity with older non-tech savvy relatives. It’s much easier just messaging them than trying to explain how different systems work, I can use find my friends to see where my mom is when she’s supposedly meeting me somewhere, and it works with her watch and her hearing aids. It’s also nice that I have it synced with my iPad so I can see the same messages on both devices.

As far as my desktop is concerned, I’m a game developer and many of the programs I use don’t exist on anything but PC. Different fields have different cliques and you’re sort of stuck with what everyone else expects - for example all romance novels (my mom is a romance writer) are published by old people who use Macs exclusively and don’t know super basic concepts that PC users know, like how to see a file extension.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Date...........Run.......Walk
    04/01........00M.......1.0M
    04/02........07M.......0.0M
    04/03........11M.......3.5M
    04/04........00M.......3.5M
    04/05........10M.......1.5M
    04/06........17M.......0.0M
    04/07........00M.......4.8M
    04/08........00M.......2.0M
    04/09........08M.......0.0M
    04/10........08M.......0.0M
    04/11........13M.......0.0M

---MTD: 16.3 miles walking, 74 miles running, and 0KM resting

Upcoming Races
    Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

202? - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.