April 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins @shanaber @girlinahat and anyone else- we everyone else: check out the site, I'm almost positive that it's just 5 USD to sign up. Swag is extra. 100% goes to the charity. The info up is last year's challenge.

Eleanor great reminder that those already doing the RTY challenge already have admission to virtual hugging challenge. So count on it.

@juliet3455 hehe! "Wise quip", got you fooled 😊

I have something to look forward to. My comeback could be the hugs with all!

Newbies- jump in. We kinda sorta are trying to start a regular race/run together.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Yikes. Water moccasins can be deadly. I'm glad you were a safe distance away. I thought I saw a 4th in the water, but guess it was just a stick.

Had it been me, after seeing the first, I would have left. There would not have been any counting going on. :smiley:

+1!!!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    For anyone (everyone) wanting to know more, here's the link to the Hug a Runner challenge. It does say that 2019 details will be coming soon but you can get the general idea of what it is about.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Yikes. Water moccasins can be deadly. I'm glad you were a safe distance away. I thought I saw a 4th in the water, but guess it was just a stick.

Had it been me, after seeing the first, I would have left. There would not have been any counting going on. :smiley:

If I avoided every place that had snakes I wouldn’t get much running done! Besides, the really dangerous snake is the one you don’t see. These guys don’t eat people and would prefer not to be stepped on.
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @garygse @Scott6255 I can be sure this code works more than once, but dh won a free race to the Trinity River run (Dallas) in November (HM). OKC556. I think if you wanna use it, it has to be today.
    https://trinityriverhalfmarathon.com/
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    4.01: 3.5M Interval Run Total: 3.5
    04.02: 4.5M Easy Run Total: 8.0
    04.03: Scheduled Rest Day
    04.04: 3.1M Pace Run Total: 11.1
    04.05: 7.2M Long Run Total: 18.3
    04.06: Scheduled Rest Day

04.07: 4.5M Easy Run Total: 22.8
    04.08: 2.2M Interval Run Total 25
    04.09: 6.7 Long Run Total: 31.7
    04:10: Scheduled Rest Day
    04:11: Race on Saturday- extra rest day
    04.12: 2.0M Easy Run Total: 33.7
    04.13: 3.1M **5K RACE 25:31** (Pace 8:12) Total: 36.8

04.14: 4.5M Easy Run Total: 41.3
    04.15: 4.0M Interval Run Total: 45.3
    04.16: 4.5M Easy Run Total: 49.8
    04.17: Scheduled Rest Day
    04.18: 3.0M Pace Run Total: 52.8
    04.19: 7.4M Long Run Total: 60.2
    04.20: Scheduled Rest Day

04.21: 5.0M Easy Run Total: 65.2
    04.22: 4.4M Interval Run Total: 69.6
    04.23: 5.0M Easy Run Total 74.6
    04.24: Scheduled Rest Day
    04.25: 3.5M Pace Run Total: 78.1
    04.26: 7.9M Long Run Total: 86
    04.27: Scheduled Rest Day

I am finally starting to drop a few pounds- the same few pounds I wanted to lose last September and October. I'm not feeling the deficit yet in my runs, but I'm sure I will. My next race is 5 weeks away so I'm going to keep plugging along.

Question for you all: How long of intervals do you run in anticipation for a 10K race? Right now, I am doing 5 intervals: 3 @ 1.5K and 2@ 1K with 3:00 of walking for recovery. I've been trying to keep the 1Ks at 4:45 and the 1.5Ks below 7:15. I'd like to try to break 50:00 for this 10K on July 4th, but it's a hot and humid race, miles 4 and 5 are uphill, and there are crowds despite VERY organized wave starts so 51 would be a more realistic goal. Each year I run it, I'm running about 6.35M as a result of the crowds according to my GPS which means 6.35 miles in 51 minutes is around a 8:00 mile. 6.35 in 50 is 7:52. The real motivator is that there are 55-60,000 runners so each second faster improves your ranking by sometimes 100. Even one second can make a 5 or 6 person place difference in your age group. Also, how long of a long run in sufficient? This past week I ran just shy of 8 miles and felt comfortable the whole time. Should I stretch the long run to 10 miles over the next few weeks?

Thanks! Have a wonderful weekend!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

If I avoided every place that had snakes I wouldn’t get much running done! Besides, the really dangerous snake is the one you don’t see. These guys don’t eat people and would prefer not to be stepped on.

I have seen plenty of snakes on my runs. I just give them plenty of space. That is what I would want if I was a snake. So seems right. :)
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @garygse @Scott6255 I can be sure this code works more than once, but dh won a free race to the Trinity River run (Dallas) in November (HM). OKC556. I think if you wanna use it, it has to be today.

Thanks. Tried the code, said it reached the maximum number of uses. Nice try ;)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »

Thanks. Tried the code, said it reached the maximum number of uses. Nice try ;)

Aww dang it
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Looks like tyrant wife is going to make me see the doctor next week to have my back checked out. Probably just as well: I'm even a worse physician than a runner, and that takes some doing.

Well. It is your wife's duty to take care of you, so let her. I do hope your back is better before then! Day of the appointment, usually nothing hurts.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Looks like tyrant wife is going to make me see the doctor next week to have my back checked out. Probably just as well: I'm even a worse physician than a runner, and that takes some doing.

Well. It is your wife's duty to take care of you, so let her. I do hope your back is better before then! Day of the appointment, usually nothing hurts.

^^THIS You should listen to that tyrant. She has your best interest at heart.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Ugh, Problems caused multiple posts.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    So Garmin thinks I will BQ next week...
    7m6dn3ykq8n3.jpg

I would not bet on that result... :lol:

@PastorVincent I think everyone has an incredibly optimistic Garmin.

My BQ is 3:00:00, so it doesnt look that optimistic, but my marathon PR is 4:43:57. I haven't been close to that this year yet. I don't know if I have heard of anyone getting an accurate prediction from Garmin.

aojn5nubgldx.jpg
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I think everyone has an incredibly optimistic Garmin.

My BQ is 3:00:00, so it doesnt look that optimistic, but my marathon PR is 4:43:57. I haven't been close to that this year yet. I don't know if I have heard of anyone getting an accurate prediction from Garmin.

Someone on another forum suggested that the Garmin is reporting the theoretical best for the runner if they went into an elite training program and all that. Personally, I think it is drunk! :)