Over 60 still trying

Options

Replies

• Longing4Maui
    Longing4Maui Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Back from vacation and getting on community finally (was having problems with it loading). How is everyone doing? I gained 1 lb but have taken that off plus a few more by really staying in my limits. This weekend I’ll be over, and have already planned for Monday and Tuesday to be deficit days. Prayers requested for my back/hip pain that started on vacation, getting an MRI next week and just hoping nothing serious as I’ve already had one spine fusion two years ago. Was really feeling good until this started in, have put my weight training on hold for now till get some answers as don’t want to cause any issues. And missing it, was just starting to feel the benefits. Have a great day everyone, and post an update if you are still following this group.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss, Maui. Hope that you get some good news from the MRI.
  • Longing4Maui
    Options
    MRI news was ‘ok’, nothing serious going on, just some issues I was aware of and MD said most likely the additional walking caused a strain (and the pain). If it flares up again, MD is going to delve into checking hip joint. Took a break from the weight lifting, but going to slowly start again next week with focus on areas other than back/hip. And starting swimnastic class next week too as I love being in the water anyway. Happy Friday, wishing you all a great weekend.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Physical therapy is good stuff. Also kind of standard treatment with hip and back issues. Even when I was getting ready for hip replacement, I kept up with exercises I learned there to have legs/back in best shape possible for surgery. When my hips were going, lifting anything became difficult (even carrying in groceries). With two hips replaced, getting back to normal life.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm Lynda, 61 years old.

I've been on MFP for a month. Very happy with my progress so far. In the first 30 days, I lost 7.5 inches and 10 pounds.

I'm determined to make this my lifestyle. I definitely don't think of it as a diet. I'm a pescatarian. Making my foods more plant based got rid of my cravings within two weeks.

Glad to be here. ☺
  • Longing4Maui
    Options
    @ LyndaBSS I tried sending you a friend request but app wouldn’t work, see if you can send me a request. A few folks from this site have been SO supportive to me on this journey. I’m down 40 lbs since Jan 2. It’s a hard journey, but supportive friends comments can really help out.
  • Longing4Maui
    Options
    Thinking this thread is coming to an end, but that’s ok; as it has helped me and others on this journey. Maybe there is another thread for those of us ‘over 60’????? Think I’ll start looking.
  • DickAich
    DickAich Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP off and on for weight some weight loss over the years but never paid any attention to the community part of the program. I just recently got back into the program to support my wife and lost some weight myself so I'm getting into maintenance and re-composition and decided to see what others were saying.

I am 70 (a few months left being able to say that) and I think I have found my weight to focus my training around (5'11" and 172.5# and 15.2% BF). I was hoping to see what others might have experience when well in the aging process.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    @Longing4Maui - under Motivation there is a thread for women 50 and over - quite a few very active and in their sixties.
  • ThisMagicMoment
    ThisMagicMoment Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just saw this thread pop up again this morning. With Fall right around the corner, I'm going to increase my weight loss efforts to see how much I can get off before the "hibernation months" set in.

I lost a chunk of weight when my husband died, and have been able to keep most of it off for the three years that he's been gone. I blip up and down in about a five-pound range, and give myself a lot of credit for having kept off what I have--but I have a long way to go, and would like to lighten up a little more before I have to start struggling not to put a bunch of pounds back on during the winter.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    Not to be scary, because I assume we're all different in the details, but I seem to start to see a "store up for Winter" impulse start kicking in after the daylight here begins getting somewhat noticeably shorter, i.e., around now (latter part of August), month or so beyond Summer solstice.

Winter for real (in terms of materially reduced impulse for outdoor activity) here until November or later. My NEAT always drops in the Winter, but it's that "store up" impulse that's the bigger challenge for me, in terms of calorically quantitative measures.

Heading into year 4 of maintenance about now, so I'm getting a better handle on it, I think/hope. Trying to run a tiny calorie deficit on average, slowly lose a few pounds leftover from previous Falls' up-creep and slightly smaller Springs' down-creep. So far, so good. Still around BMI 22-point-something, but as a narrowly built woman (with no breasts post-mastectomies besides), that's heavier than truly ideal for my body. (Better than the obese 30+ BMI I used to be, though ;) ).

• alteredsteve175
    Options
    Thinking this thread is coming to an end, but that’s ok; as it has helped me and others on this journey. Maybe there is another thread for those of us ‘over 60’????? Think I’ll start looking.

Just keep this thread active by posting regularly. I will try to keep it going as well.

Some other links for that tend towards the "seasoned citizens" demographic.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/433277/40-club-where-the-cool-kids-are/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10716128/men-women-in-their-50s-starting-anew-in-2019/p1

• Jenanne31
    Jenanne31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    santasmrs wrote: »
    Hi everybody I need help desperately. I am 63 now, yo yo diets since I was in my 20s, it seems to get harder as the years go by to keep motivated is there anybody else out there like me. I need a good kick up the butt and perhaps a few friends.

Hey SantaMrs, add me as a friend if you like. I'm 62, and also a lifelong dieter. I've lost 54 lbs and now I'm working to maintain. It sure isn't easy, and support is vital.
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    DickAich wrote: »
    I have been using MFP off and on for weight some weight loss over the years but never paid any attention to the community part of the program. I just recently got back into the program to support my wife and lost some weight myself so I'm getting into maintenance and re-composition and decided to see what others were saying.

I am 70 (a few months left being able to say that) and I think I have found my weight to focus my training around (5'11" and 172.5# and 15.2% BF). I was hoping to see what others might have experience when well in the aging process.

Hi, Dick. I'm 65. I started lifting in earnest at 58 (2012). I take a break now and then, but never longer than a month or so. I have been overweight most of my life. Was at 225 in 2012 - was at 250 when I started a weight loss regimen in 2017. Down to 195 now - BMI at 28.

I lift heavy a couple of days a week currently. Deadlifts and bench press one day. Squats and overhead presses on the other. Usually finish with pushing a weighted sled on one minute intervals. Walking, hiking and wade fishing for cardio work. Yoga when I can fit it in the schedule. Should stretch every day (but I don't).

You might check out "The Barbell Prescription" as well. Specifically written for older lifters. I still refer to it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4LXFCK/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Jonathon Sullivan also has a YouTube channel with good information for older lifters.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNjgwAS3wBBxcwouQz5J9w

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

Just keep this thread active by posting regularly. I will try to keep it going as well.

Some other links for that tend towards the "seasoned citizens" demographic.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/433277/40-club-where-the-cool-kids-are/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10716128/men-women-in-their-50s-starting-anew-in-2019/p1

Liking the "seasoned citizens" thing :)

i hope everyone has an amazing day.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have bookmarked this thread as well and will start posting to it, instead of my usual habit of just reading other's posts. I am 60, have lost 30 pounds (as of today, yay!), with another 50-70 to go. I have found that I used to be able to carry a lot of excess weight in my younger years, and still be somewhat active, but now that I am older, it is causing health problems. In past decades I would lose weight because of appearance, but now it is all about health (and if I look better that is a bonus).
    I try to stay positive. I have diabetes and am working very hard to get that under control. But am fortunate that my physical body is still functioning well, with few injuries over the years. There is a lot of mileage left in this 60-year old body, and I intend to make good use of it.
    Have a great day, everyone! Pam
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    It's another Monday fun day! Have an awesome week, my friends!
  • Longing4Maui
    Options
    Happy to see this thread still going on. It has helped me on this journey to better health. Thanks @alteredsteve175 for the other group links, I’ll check those out.
  • DickAich
    DickAich Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been wrestling with some approaches to maintenance and would be interested if anyone is running into the same. Having reached my weight, I would like to maintain while cutting into the body fat %. My gym has an InBody 570 which I have been using for weight and other readings. Trainers tell you to lift more weight to gain more muscle. I want to lose fat weight and that does require that I add muscle. The problem is I have been injuring myself (elbow and knee) by lifting heavy. The worst part is that I don't recover from injury as quickly.

I am thinking about lifting lighter but more reps. It seems it would save the joints but still work the muscles, it just wouldn't stimulate big muscle growth. Any thoughts?