Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Coronavirus prep

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    JaxxieKat wrote: »
    Trying very hard to not get political, but I'm extremely disappointed that my state has decided to reopen everything except large venues and amusement parks by the end of next week. Despite all of my friends who work in healthcare saying our death and hospitalization stats are increasing at an alarming rate, the governor says the "numbers are favorable". He promised he wouldn't enter phase one until we had 14 days of a decline in numbers. We were lied to and now so many are at risk.

I’m in TN and feel the same way. Numbers in my zip code are not under control. I don’t plan to stop social distancing regardless, but it will be harder to run in our no-sidewalks town if everyone is driving around. Plus I kind of like some of my neighbors and would prefer they not all die.

At least our local mayor has us locked down until May 5.

Our first cases came out of TN (Nashville) area it seems when TN was not on lock down like KY and most other states were at the time. Clearly we do not need to be hit like NYC but if most of us are going to get this corona virus sooner or later getting it in the second wave should be safer due to more Rx options that are being added. I hope the winter of 20-21 season will get this specific virus behind us for the most and that we stay prepared for the next virus. Thankful for the masses most will have COVID-19 and never know it.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    I heard that there was misinformation spread at first that toilet paper was made mostly in markets like China and that someone claimed that this would make toilet paper hard to obtain, so people went absolutely ballistic trying to buy as much as they could. =/

It even happened here... and we make toilet paper here in this country, it doesnt even come from China lol

Oh!! So it was driven by fake news.

Maybe a little, but it is a phenomenon noticed anywhere a major weather event is predicted, and has been at least since I was a kid in the 60's. I live in the frozen north so we get several major snowstorms each winter. If one is predicted to be enough to close schools and businesses, people run out to the store and stock up on eggs, bread, milk, and toilet paper. Logic doesn't figure in to it. We have plenty of plows and the major streets are typically passable within hours of the end of the snowfall so most people are not stuck at home for more than 2 days. Even so, they have a deep seated need to buy huge quantities of TP.

The problem with the current quarantine hoarding is not that it is a new thing, it is that it was a nationwide thing. What is typically a short term regional phenomenon became a global one because of the global nature of the pandemic as opposed to a regional snowstorm (or hurricane for those in SE United States where TP hoarding also happens when a hurricane is predicted).

I'm quite familiar with the hurricane shopping phenomenon, but never noticed it to include major toilet paper purchases.

People have mentioned it so apparently some have but it is definitely a joke here when snow is predicted because it happens all the time.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Trying very hard to not get political, but I'm extremely disappointed that my state has decided to reopen everything except large venues and amusement parks by the end of next week. Despite all of my friends who work in healthcare saying our death and hospitalization stats are increasing at an alarming rate, the governor says the "numbers are favorable". He promised he wouldn't enter phase one until we had 14 days of a decline in numbers. We were lied to and now so many are at risk.

I’m in TN and feel the same way. Numbers in my zip code are not under control. I don’t plan to stop social distancing regardless, but it will be harder to run in our no-sidewalks town if everyone is driving around. Plus I kind of like some of my neighbors and would prefer they not all die.

Our first cases came out of TN (Nashville) area it seems when TN was not on lock down like KY and most other states were at the time. Clearly we do not need to be hit like NYC but if most of us are going to get this corona virus sooner or later getting it in the second wave should be safer due to more Rx options that are being added. I hope the winter of 20-21 season will get this specific virus behind us for the most and that we stay prepared for the next virus. Thankful for the masses most will have COVID-19 and never know it.

I was reading an article this morning about a prison in Ohio which tested all inmates and correctional officers and found that over 70% had been infected. In one cell-block, every inmate was infected, yet about 40% of those had no symptoms. There was another study I read somewhere that said as many as 60% of folks infected may be asymptomatic (I think - I'll have to see if I can find it), yet the CDC claims that number is 25%. These are interesting data points, but they aren't definitive yet, and there is a LOT we don't know. It seems every day we get new information that colors information we previously had learned.

Edited to add one of the articles: https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2020/04/20/mass-testing-at-ohio-prison-shows-many-people-with-coronavirus-show-no-symptoms-underscoring-difficulty-of-reopening-states

A creative idea would be to pay prisoners a fee for their antibodies once recovered. It's not like they asked for Coronavirus. I'm certainly not in favor of letting everyone out either but the lack of PPE for our prison guard population is awful. There was just an article of a prison case worker dying at 39.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    JustSomeEm wrote: »

I was reading an article this morning about a prison in Ohio which tested all inmates and correctional officers and found that over 70% had been infected. In one cell-block, every inmate was infected, yet about 40% of those had no symptoms. There was another study I read somewhere that said as many as 60% of folks infected may be asymptomatic (I think - I'll have to see if I can find it), yet the CDC claims that number is 25%. These are interesting data points, but they aren't definitive yet, and there is a LOT we don't know. It seems every day we get new information that colors information we previously had learned.

Edited to add one of the articles: https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2020/04/20/mass-testing-at-ohio-prison-shows-many-people-with-coronavirus-show-no-symptoms-underscoring-difficulty-of-reopening-states

I believe the estimates from cruise ships where everybody was tested came in at around half of those infected were asymptomatic.

However the antibody testing in Santa Clara County, CA indicates a significantly higher rate of asymptomatic carriers - 50 to 85 times the number of reported infected. I'm not sure it is the same thing, as reported numbers are only those tested positive... maybe some have symptoms and are not tested because the symptoms are mild or tests are difficult to obtain. Still, 50 to 85 times sounds very high compared to the more consistent numbers showing half are asymptomatic. I haven't checked into the antibody results from Los Angeles yet, which were supposed to be released yesterday.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-17/coronavirus-antibodies-study-santa-clara-county
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Interesting op/ed on the pneumonia from Covid-19. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/opinion/coronavirus-testing-pneumonia.html
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 701 Member
    edited April 2020
    That's interesting, Guardian is reporting that that WHO have found that a smaller proportion of people have antibodies than they expected, less than that quoted above.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/20/studies-suggest-very-few-have-had-covid-19-without-symptoms
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think people take out their thoughts on the wrong people.. which is unfortunate.

In times like that people often hear bad news like that and are instantly overcome by the problems they have in their own lives, debt, cost of kids, insurance, etc.. it often leaves people thinking that the burden is solely put on them only and not anyone else in a higher position.

The fear and anger and sudden-ness of the news doesnt leave much room for stopping and wondering if higher ups are also going to have to deal with the same thing.

People also often think that because they make more money they would have it easier, but honestly, people often live on the edge of or outside their means.. and as upper management, Its often deemed inappropriate for them to discuss their pay, their Bill's, their home life with the people they are managing.. I know some do it, but it can often back fire on them also..

So were blind to their struggles and consumed by the problem in front of us, that we criticize them for what's happening and are even more harsh behind their backs..

I'm guilty of it too sometimes.. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with that.

I'm mostly frustrated right now because my proposal has most employees missing the total of a pay check spread across the year, which sucks...but the alternative is just canning people. Do you want a job but you'll miss a paycheck over a year or have no job, no insurance, etc? But apparently that doesn't translate...I can only do one or the other. Hopefully it will all become clear for my peeps over the weekend. I'm quite literally trying to find a way not to have to fire you for something that's not your fault...

I’m curious. Isn’t laying off, a better term? What are the grounds for firing?
    Back in 2008, we had to take a 20% pay cut, and a cut back of hours, and some people were laid off. Many people did. Through no fault of our own, because of mismanagement by businesses. Time will tell, but universal health care may become critical during this crisis. Affordable health care is a joke for most people in the US. A friend that has been furloughed during this, will have to pay just under $1600/month for Cobra starting in May. Not many people can afford that.

Sure...whatever makes someone feel good. These aren't things I'm saying to my employees, this is in my head to computer screen..to me there is no difference between "fired" "laid off" "terminated", etc. These are just semantics...bottom line is people are without jobs. I was "laid off" in 2008 with the financial crisis...I personally didn't give a *kitten* what anyone called it. I'm not in HR, I'm in accounting...HR might lay down a little sugar, but it's still all the same *kitten* thing....you're done. I would rather furlough hours throughout the year than terminate positions which was my entire point...wanna job with a little less money or no job? Also, if we furlough they can keep their health care benefits, which is pretty important. IDK about the importance of universal HC after this...I've always thought it important, but politics...I'm not sure much will actually change with this.

ETA: who knows...maybe HR will come out with some new termination term like "corona relief"...does that really change anything?

I was furloughed during a state budget crunch - it was a day or two a month over a couple of years. Lay-offs were different - that meant not reporting for work at all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I think people take out their thoughts on the wrong people.. which is unfortunate.

In times like that people often hear bad news like that and are instantly overcome by the problems they have in their own lives, debt, cost of kids, insurance, etc.. it often leaves people thinking that the burden is solely put on them only and not anyone else in a higher position.

The fear and anger and sudden-ness of the news doesnt leave much room for stopping and wondering if higher ups are also going to have to deal with the same thing.

People also often think that because they make more money they would have it easier, but honestly, people often live on the edge of or outside their means.. and as upper management, Its often deemed inappropriate for them to discuss their pay, their Bill's, their home life with the people they are managing.. I know some do it, but it can often back fire on them also..

So were blind to their struggles and consumed by the problem in front of us, that we criticize them for what's happening and are even more harsh behind their backs..

I'm guilty of it too sometimes.. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with that.

I'm mostly frustrated right now because my proposal has most employees missing the total of a pay check spread across the year, which sucks...but the alternative is just canning people. Do you want a job but you'll miss a paycheck over a year or have no job, no insurance, etc? But apparently that doesn't translate...I can only do one or the other. Hopefully it will all become clear for my peeps over the weekend. I'm quite literally trying to find a way not to have to fire you for something that's not your fault...

I’m curious. Isn’t laying off, a better term? What are the grounds for firing?
    Back in 2008, we had to take a 20% pay cut, and a cut back of hours, and some people were laid off. Many people did. Through no fault of our own, because of mismanagement by businesses. Time will tell, but universal health care may become critical during this crisis. Affordable health care is a joke for most people in the US. A friend that has been furloughed during this, will have to pay just under $1600/month for Cobra starting in May. Not many people can afford that.

Sure...whatever makes someone feel good. These aren't things I'm saying to my employees, this is in my head to computer screen..to me there is no difference between "fired" "laid off" "terminated", etc. These are just semantics...bottom line is people are without jobs. I was "laid off" in 2008 with the financial crisis...I personally didn't give a *kitten* what anyone called it. I'm not in HR, I'm in accounting...HR might lay down a little sugar, but it's still all the same *kitten* thing....you're done. I would rather furlough hours throughout the year than terminate positions which was my entire point...wanna job with a little less money or no job? Also, if we furlough they can keep their health care benefits, which is pretty important. IDK about the importance of universal HC after this...I've always thought it important, but politics...I'm not sure much will actually change with this.

ETA: who knows...maybe HR will come out with some new termination term like "corona relief"...does that really change anything?

I was furloughed during a state budget crunch - it was a day or two a month over a couple of years. Lay-offs were different - that meant not reporting for work at all.

I wasn't saying there isn't a difference in furlough and being laid off...I was responding to the question in regards to terminology of "fired" or "laid off" and that in the big picture it's really semantics. To someone getting laid off, they can call it whatever they want...it all still means they don't have a job.

I'm hoping that we don't even have to go the route of furlough by substantially cutting expenditures and maintaining vacancies when/if people leave or retire...but people should be prepared for that possibility.