• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's actually easy here in Tx to get a booster. I was just talking to one of my friends yesterday morning about it (she is immuno compromised) and got her 2nd shot in Feb I think. She was able to walk right in to the pharmacy and get her booster yesterday afternoon. It will be interesting to see if she has any reaction to the 3rd. So far all reports I have heard are just arm soreness and nothing like the 2nd shot. She got Moderna I think. (and looks like that poster was quite successful in getting the other thread shut down).

On another note maybe MORE people will be encouraged to and will be able to get the antibodies now that our Governor has made them more in the news again.

I don't think that was a "booster". I think she got a regular shot which are widely available to walk into any pharmacy and get. So she got herself a third shot, but not necessarily a "booster". Per the CDC, boosters won't be available until the fall after full FDA approval (which happened yesterday August 23). From what I've read, these won't be just walk in and get...you will get a notification that you are eligible as per the date of your 2nd shot. It will go in the same order that the original shots were prioritized.

This is per the CDC on 8/20/21...so not really sure what your friend got here...maybe it was a booster and they were just starting before the official announcement of FDA approval or something. I won't be eligible to get mine until Dec as my 2nd shot was April 2 per the CDC.

Not speaking for SummerSkier or her friend here, but immunocompromised people are eligible for actual "booster" vaccinations now, officially, and at a shorter time horizon than planned for regular people later. (It's 28 days after the 2nd shot, for this group, and applies to Pfizer and Moderna.)

It appears that the rules and conditions for getting this vary locally/regionally, possibly especially now, as I think this was a quite-sudden announcement, not one that was preannounced as is happening for the regular booster situation. I think the bureaucracies are playing catch-up on this rule, maybe.

Details:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html

Details about what is meant by "immunocompromised", in this context, are at that link.

Ah, that makes sense.

All I've heard from our state DOH is that we will be notified when we are eligible for our booster and that we will not be given it if we just go to the pharmacy without proof of eligibility, though you can still just walk in and get your initial doses. I just hope that doesn't confuse people here who are unvaxed and now think they have to wait again for eligibility.

It will be easy to walk in and get it when eligible, but you can't just walk in now and get it unless you're in the group that is currently being prioritized. The post made me think that in Tx for some reason, any old someone could just walk in and get their booster regardless of where they are in line.

But there's no paperwork (other than an ID) required to get your first dose, and nobody is getting an indelible stamp when they get their initial doses, so all anybody who wants a booster has to do is go into a pharmacy and lie if asked about whether they've had a vaccination yet, right?

I know the info about vaccinations in our state and at least some others is supposed to be uploaded to a central database, but I don't think they check it for each person coming in before administering the vaccine, do they? I was vaccinated in a sort of pop-up clinic at a church, so I don't know what it's like for covid vaccines administered in an actual pharmacy. Nobody was putting data into a computer in real time until the end of the line (after vaccination) when they were helping people who needed help sign up for the second dose. Maybe it's different at a pharmacy. I haven't been able to get confirmation of my vaccination from the state database, just from the database run by the pharmacy that staffed the clinic. So maybe people who are trying to jump queue could just go to a different pharmacy chain or other provider from where they got the original doses.

In theory, and I've thought about that, that you could just go to a pharmacy and pretend to be getting a first shot. But IME (I also did not get the first one in a pharmacy, but I have gotten the flu shot there), they ask for insurance information (you could lie and say you don't have any, but I could see them checking that) and the state supposedly has a database that I could see a pharmacy checking. So it seems risky or at least with a high embarrassment potential and if they find out you have insurance and it's not a legit covid shot but an unauthorized booster, maybe a bill. Dunno.

I got my shots through some appointments that were given to our alderman in the ward to schedule. All the aldermen seemed to be using different criteria (ours prioritized teachers but after that anyone eligible). My sister and a friend drove to another part of the state where they had excess, since the overall vax rate was lower.

Good point on the insurance angle.

By the time I got mine, I think we had moved to everyone eligible, although I don't think we had gotten there when I made the appointment.

I'm not a big fan of queue-jumping and don't have any plans to try to do it myself, but I have a hard time getting massively upset at someone who does it, given that we have vaccines expiring in the U.S., and no apparent plans to do the thing which would be at once most humane and most productive, which is to ship extra vaccine to countries that have never had enough vaccine to get a significant percentage of the population vaccinated.

If we're just going to let vaccine expire because vax resisters won't take it, it's better that it go in somebody's arm, even if it's only providing an incremental boost in protection to someone who's already better protected than billions of people around the world.

I'm repeating myself to get back to covid, but that's how I feel re expiring vaccines, and have been watching the stats in my state with frustration (and we are far from the worst state). At this point given the availability I think anyone here who wants a booster should get one (and my friend and sister who went downstate to get one in March in an anti vax area which had extras and was inviting Chicagoans (who couldn't get it here) to come, same.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Covid (I think) has spiked real estate here, too. IMU, this is one of the most affordable real estate market areas in the country (US), when it comes to home purchases. A decent-ish 3 BR or so suburban-type home, good condition, maybe 2500 sq ft or so, decent schools/neighborhood, would be entering the market maybe high 200s thousand to mid/upper-300s thousand, USD. Reasonable sized lot, maybe up to half acre, possibly more if semi-rural. Smaller lots, closer in to the urban center, older homes, sometimes still in decent shape and not-*terrible* neighborhoods, maybe somewhat less good schools, cheaper. This is judging based on what a young friend who's a real estate agent has been posting as his hot homes of the day. 😆 (From looking around at homes in my neighborhood on Zillow that are on the market or sold recently, those prices don't seem crazy out of line.) They're not McMansions, but they're fairly nice homes in good places.

Nonetheless, the pandemic-driving buying surge has prices quite a bit higher than a year or two ago, IME.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://news.yahoo.com/u-data-show-rising-breakthrough-181525317.html

Being vaccinated still gives us an edge to decrease the health care burden.

Locally death is increasing interest in getting vaccinated and of course some are glad to point out the vaccine protection is fading fast.

But that's not actually demonstrably true, as I understand it, except among immunocompromised people (who don't mount as strong an immune response to vaccines) and *possibly* among elders, especially more-frail elders, for what are believed to be similar reasons.

People who are thinking that way (your last paragraph) bought into the incorrect but common misunderstanding that vaccines are a 100% effective invisible shield against infection. They're a dramatically good (but not quite 100%) protection against *severe* infection (needing hospitalization, intubation; dying), and continue to be so for most people. But they are, and have been expected to be, a lower level of protection against milder infection.

Breakthrough infections are happening now, yes. That was expected, to some extent, by experts. It may be more likely/common with the delta variant, since it's more transmissible. (That's still not clear, IMU, because in the US at least there aren't good statistics about breakthrough infections, partly because there hasn't been priority on collecting them, partly because it's very hard to do so anyway: Vaccinated people with mild or asymptomatic cases don't realize they have a breakthrough case of Covid; some people who think they do have a breakthrough case choose not to be tested or have difficulty access a test (there was an example of this here, earlier, maybe in this thread).)

The "vaccines are 100% protection" myth was discussed at length relatively recently here, though I don't remember whether it was in this thread or one of the other Covid ones going on in debate, where someone said they thought a an injection wasn't actually even a vaccine if not 100% protective (forever, maybe, even), and that friends they had talked to had thought the same thing.

I think you are aware that you're posting information intentionally to take my post off subject.

There is not a doctor involved with healthcare that is thinking that covid-19 vaccinations has anything like 100% of effectiveness.

The data from Israel is showing declining ability for Pfizer to protect against breakthrough infections. This is why they're starting the third dose.

Take a look at today's graphs of cases and you will see Israel is off the chart even above the United states.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »

Maybe - but that kind of reinforces my point because you can't really get a house here for under 1M. Maybe people are thinking that when I refer to a million dollar home I am talking about a mansion or something - when in reality a regular cookie cutter subdivision home that isn't anything special costs that here.

my husband sold his house in Kitchener (an hour outside toronto- well, on a good day lol) back in 2017 before moving here to marry me. It was a nice house in a nice neighborhood but nothing remarkable. 2 story, 3 BR 2 Ba. postage stamp lot. around 1500sf. sold for a million.

would be interesting to see what it would sell for in todays market....

I remember asking him back then (which obviously was only a few years ago) how did young, first time home buyers afford to buy a home. He didnt have an answer. He and his ex had bought it 15 years previously and obviously home prices were not nearly those prices then. a couple of hundred thousand, iirc- something much more expected for the type of home.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    $400k, 4,200 sq ft listing in university community in flyover country. Wages for comparable jobs not significantly less than larger cities in the midwest.

i52xdwfjjz6t.png
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Illinois going to mandatory indoor masks starting Monday. Also all workers in education and college students vax mandate or minimum weekly testing.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Covid (I think) has spiked real estate here, too. IMU, this is one of the most affordable real estate market areas in the country (US), when it comes to home purchases. A decent-ish 3 BR or so suburban-type home, good condition, maybe 2500 sq ft or so, decent schools/neighborhood, would be entering the market maybe high 200s thousand to mid/upper-300s thousand, USD. Reasonable sized lot, maybe up to half acre, possibly more if semi-rural. Smaller lots, closer in to the urban center, older homes, sometimes still in decent shape and not-*terrible* neighborhoods, maybe somewhat less good schools, cheaper. This is judging based on what a young friend who's a real estate agent has been posting as his hot homes of the day. 😆 (From looking around at homes in my neighborhood on Zillow that are on the market or sold recently, those prices don't seem crazy out of line.) They're not McMansions, but they're fairly nice homes in good places.

Nonetheless, the pandemic-driving buying surge has prices quite a bit higher than a year or two ago, IME.

Texas hill country has been surging starting in May 2020. I don't know why here, but a lot of people moving from the coasts to here since starting to work from home. It doesn't make sense because where I lived in rural west TN has nearly just as temperate weather (except it occasionally gets down to 40s or even 30s Fahrenheit in winter). And houses there cost hald as much. Meanwhile, the last place I lived in rural Iowa a few years ago was cheaper even yet. I sold my house in 2019 for around $50K. It wasn't huge (2BR/1BA), detached garage, but was well maintained and had a big yard. I know the rural midwest has many rural areas similarly cheap. So I never understood why everyone moved here. To be fair, I moved here in Mar., but was for a great job and not just to find somewhere to WFH for cheaper.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Are single family detached homes (what I used to call villas when I first immigrated to Canada) the only form of home ownership that's acceptable?

This may come in as a bit of a surprise to the millions of people worldwide who own sub-standard apartments, apparently not worth their pride of ownership.

If I were to ask most of the people I know who do not have established long term jobs, or who are newcomers to the labor market and/or Canada, do you think they would prefer a booming economy driven by overpriced real estate that attracts laundered foreign capital and provides then with jobs but no opportunity to own a detached single family home... or a reduction in the influx of money, a bursting of the 20+ year old real estate bubble, and a nice five to seven year recession that will still provide them with no opportunity to own a home anyway in spite of major price reductions, because they will no longer have jobs and money to spend!

The developers, including foreign buyers, will then collect the discounted units for later profits. For an example look at Arizona homes bought by Canadian developers subsequent to the 2007 - 2010 crash)

If in the interest of equity you wanted to stop intergenerational transfer of wealth.... you could, and you can, through taxation and the redistribution of such wealth.

I think we can all see how such discussions would verge a little bit on the political.

I look around Canada and a LOT of our economic activity and prosperity is a function of these real estate valuations.

Home **ownership** may be socially desirable--but it is far from a universal human right.

We mess around with what functions at our peril.

I have several relatives in Boston who own condos, as did my sister, until she moved 30 minutes outside Boston.

They were all likely former multi family apartment buildings that went condo.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Illinois going to mandatory indoor masks starting Monday. Also all workers in education and college students vax mandate or minimum weekly testing.

Chicago has had mandatory indoor masks since last Friday.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Are single family detached homes (what I used to call villas when I first immigrated to Canada) the only form of home ownership that's acceptable?

This may come in as a bit of a surprise to the millions of people worldwide who own sub-standard apartments, apparently not worth their pride of ownership.

If I were to ask most of the people I know who do not have established long term jobs, or who are newcomers to the labor market and/or Canada, do you think they would prefer a booming economy driven by overpriced real estate that attracts laundered foreign capital and provides then with jobs but no opportunity to own a detached single family home... or a reduction in the influx of money, a bursting of the 20+ year old real estate bubble, and a nice five to seven year recession that will still provide them with no opportunity to own a home anyway in spite of major price reductions, because they will no longer have jobs and money to spend!

The developers, including foreign buyers, will then collect the discounted units for later profits. For an example look at Arizona homes bought by Canadian developers subsequent to the 2007 - 2010 crash)

If in the interest of equity you wanted to stop intergenerational transfer of wealth.... you could, and you can, through taxation and the redistribution of such wealth.

I think we can all see how such discussions would verge a little bit on the political.

I look around Canada and a LOT of our economic activity and prosperity is a function of these real estate valuations.

Home **ownership** may be socially desirable--but it is far from a universal human right.

We mess around with what functions at our peril.

I have several relatives in Boston who own condos, as did my sister, until she moved 30 minutes outside Boston.

They were all likely former multi family apartment buildings that went condo.

Yeah, I mentioned condos in my rambling RE posts too. Around here they are pretty common, of course -- it's a mix of converted former apartments and buildings built as condos, varying by neighborhood, as well as conversions of all kinds of other types of buildings.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    It's actually easy here in Tx to get a booster. I was just talking to one of my friends yesterday morning about it (she is immuno compromised) and got her 2nd shot in Feb I think. She was able to walk right in to the pharmacy and get her booster yesterday afternoon. It will be interesting to see if she has any reaction to the 3rd. So far all reports I have heard are just arm soreness and nothing like the 2nd shot. She got Moderna I think. (and looks like that poster was quite successful in getting the other thread shut down).

On another note maybe MORE people will be encouraged to and will be able to get the antibodies now that our Governor has made them more in the news again.

I don't think that was a "booster". I think she got a regular shot which are widely available to walk into any pharmacy and get. So she got herself a third shot, but not necessarily a "booster". Per the CDC, boosters won't be available until the fall after full FDA approval (which happened yesterday August 23). From what I've read, these won't be just walk in and get...you will get a notification that you are eligible as per the date of your 2nd shot. It will go in the same order that the original shots were prioritized.

This is per the CDC on 8/20/21...so not really sure what your friend got here...maybe it was a booster and they were just starting before the official announcement of FDA approval or something. I won't be eligible to get mine until Dec as my 2nd shot was April 2 per the CDC.

I'm not sure how those notifications will work since that data isn't always in a single place (aside from the paper vaccine card).

I got my 1st dose of Moderna in TN, then moved to TX and got my 2nd dose at a pharmacy here. In May, the county where I lived in TN called me wanting to know if I was going to schedule my 2nd shot. There is no single national / international database with all of those records for each individual.

ETA: The original shots were also not prioritized in a uniform fashion. This was also a state decision. This is part of the reason I was able to get it in TN in March. I knew I would be moving soon and TX considered Type 1 Diabetics in the "healthy" group while TN put us in the "comorbidity" group. I agreed with TN and made sure to get my first when able. I got it the same week they opened it up to residents with 1 comorbidity. I was able to schedule a 2nd dose in TX only because I had already received my 1st dose.

In my state, those records are held by our state DOH and we will be notified by our DOH when we are eligible and that record will have to be provided to the pharmacy. This is to avoid a run on vaccine and vaccine shortfalls. Our state is simply following the 8 month CDC guidance for when to send notifications. This keeps everyone in the same order as the first go around.

That's great for people who got both doses in the same state and there are consistent records. For those of us who got our 2 doses in 2 different states, the systems you described functions to prevent me from ever receiving a booster.

In your situation, someone here would simply contact the DOH and explain that they received their first two vaccines in another state which is easy for them to verify. If you have your vax card, even easier and then they just register you using the date of your 2nd shot. If you had your first shot somewhere else, and your 2nd shot in state, the DOH would have on record that you received your second dose here, so you would already be in the database and get your notification 8 months after the 2nd dose on record.

Your vax card can also be used at the pharmacy here to indicate whether or not you're eligible for a booster as per the dates on the card.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not doing that, at least not intentionally. In fact, I thought I was generally agreeing with you: Yes, some people are claiming that vaccine protection is waning, but they don't have strong evidence on their side. They have misunderstandings on their side: That's what I'm saying. Those people had expectations or understandings about the vaccines that were inaccurate.

Vaccine protections are expected to lessen at some point, but from what I've been hearing/reading, it is not entirely clear that we've actually reached that point yet, for healthy adults with healthy immune systems. The evidence from Israel is not 100% persuasive that protection is waning, as I understand it, because of insufficiencies in the data they've made public. It may be true, but IMU, experts are not fully persuaded. I don't have a link for you to verify, but this was said by a virologist, head of a major university virology program, interviewed on NPR today.

Of course qualified doctors don't think vaccines are 100% effective. I'm saying that some regular people mistakenly believed that, and that that's lead to those people believing breakthrough infections mean the vaccines don't work.

Some people are saying that vaccine protection is waning. Would that be the CDC authorizing boosters at 8 months? I think a lot of us DID have strong expectations based on the 90+ % data in the vaccine trials and early in the year. That was 90+ percent total protection. It was not stated at 90+ percent you won't be hospitalized or die.

What's scary right now is that if it IS waning and Delta is more likely to break thru it is our vital health care workers and elderly who were vaccinated early who are at risk.

It sure would have been nice if there was more complete data was collected. I agree with you on that point.