WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Options

Replies

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Kim, I totally misunderstood the situation with your mom, I thought she was already with you. Well, she may be by now, but I'm so glad that you have had time to get a few supports in place. I hope everything goes well for both your sakes!

Very sad news out of Edmonton today about the two police officers.

Busy day with grandkids today and strata council meeting tonite at our place. I'm not on council, but hubby is so dinner is pizza which I am just waiting to pick up.

Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!

Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,047 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!

Today I ate 1094 calories Yay! And I exercised to get a deficit of 442. Yay! I did ten minutes on the bike, my dumbbell routine, and earlier I rode horseback a little. An excellent day for me. Except my knee is feeling like I pushed it hard.

I drank extra water but I did have some salt. So we shall see what the weigh-in brings. I'm trying not to obsess over it but there's not much else
    going on here.

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,888 Member
    Options
    Joy1580vb wrote: »
    Trying a small patch of corn which I haven't grown in the last couple of years as a bear had been coming in and harvesting it before I could get to it. Haven't seen signs of a bear last year so hoping it has moved out of our area.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Joy

I've never grown corn, but have been thinking about giving it a go next year. I hope you get a harvest!

Machka in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Trying a small patch of corn which I haven't grown in the last couple of years as a bear had been coming in and harvesting it before I could get to it. Haven't seen signs of a bear last year so hoping it has moved out of our area.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Joy

I've never grown corn, but have been thinking about giving it a go next year. I hope you get a harvest!

Machka in Oz

if you do plant corn, dad always said to not plant in a row but better to plant in a block-attracts more bees that way.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did a total body Strength Training dVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a step dVD

After exercise came home and went to a board meeting here. Basically, nothing much happened. They have about 23 trailers on the property (owned by some of the condo owners) and I didn’t realize it but they aren’t charged for it. There was a motion to charge $20/month. Unfortunately, it wasn’t voted on. To me, $20 is too much, it should have been more like $10. But I feel if someone needs it, they should get a storage unit. It is somewhat of an eyesore. The money can be used for fundraising. Right now they have this coffee and donuts every Monday morning. They charge $2 for a donut. To me, that’s a lot. But they need the $ for fundraising items (like chairs along the pool, a fire pit, those sorts of things). But I don’t live here year round.

Then Vince wanted to go for a pizza and I had a turkey sub (just water to drink, no dressing). I did try a piece of the pizza. Liked the crust but not the sauce. Too acidic. Came home and went for a walk. Then out by the pool, had dinner and then played cards.

I was coming up from putting water in the car (less I have to take down tomorrow morning when I leave for exercise) and this one lady stopped me to ask me if Vince knew anything about her remote. Seems she couldn’t get her TV working right. Really, I think she’s somewhat lonely. You should have seen her place! Hoarders here we come! Fortunately, Vince got it working for her (I didn’t even know that she was married) and we left there as quickly as we could

Jane UK – welcome. What kind of crafts do you enjoy the most?

Stacy – loved your post.

Michele who thinks she may start cleaning tomorrow
  • Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

Enjoy your day everyone.

Joy

Machka in Oz

if you do plant corn, dad always said to not plant in a row but better to plant in a block-attracts more bees that way.

OK, that might change the location where I was thinking of putting it. Thanks!
  • Machka9
    Options
    Such a tragedy in Edmonton, Alberta today. Two police officers were shot and killed when responding to a domestic dispute at an apartment building. My heartfelt condolences to all who knew them.

Joy

Very sorry to hear about that.

I lived in Edmonton a couple times in my life.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Interesting ...

Hydration seems to be the key to aging better and living longer
    https://www.popsci.com/health/hydration-healthy-aging/

"The National Academies of Medicine suggests that most women consume around 6 to 9 cups of fluids per day"

I'm probably about double that.

Machka in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I had to chuckle about the discussion of grandsons letting their hair grow - their own personal expression. Why does it matter to parents and grandparents, anyway?

fr1k8rcjbl0p.jpeg
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,129 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Today a damp sea mist crowds out my morning view. It’s like an autumn morning rather than spring.

(17/3/2023)
    smothering morning mists
    shrinking horizons draw near
    no vast expanse today

Slow dissipation
    reveals ghostly fields and trees
    at morning sunrise

Had a great time at the quiz yesterday. We were sixth, and only a few points behind the winning team.

No Latin today as it’s St Patrick’s Day, which is a public holiday in Northern Ireland.

Just noticed that my first magnolia bloom has opened.

Intentions for March:
    🔹Maintain weight < 140 (I have managed to stay at the lower end off the 140s)
    🔹Continue with Solid Habit development

Intentions for today:
    📍Solid habits
    📍general chores
    📍work on crochet
    📍work on A/cs and prep for groups

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
    March Action for Happiness:
    1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with awareness and kindness
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world.Trees silhouetted against the sky; the appearance of snowdrops in spring; the sound of waves breaking on the shore.
    3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive. I meditate on this each morning when I wake up, and am grateful for each new opportunity to have a good day.
    4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words. Positive affirmations are very powerful. Be kind to yourself, always.
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them. We chatted with our girls about other family members, and raised a glass to them.
    6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels. I will do this tomorrow (7th)
    7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.Resisting the temptation to plan my day. Serendipity reigns today.
    8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and email of your food. ✔️
    9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others. I’m a great advocate of deep breathing, and find this works well.
    10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.I wasn’t looking forward to going outside this morning as we had snow overnight and it seemed very cold. However, the sun shone in a clear blue sky, and the wind had dropped right down again, and I spent time with my eyes closed feeling the heat on my face before I went into the centre for Latin Study.
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee. Always! Gives me calm thinking time.
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying. When I tried to do this with DH this morning, he got distracted by a discussion on What the Papers Say on TV. 😝 However, we often have in-depth discussions, usually over lunc and dinner.
    13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today. The sun was valiantly trying to break through rain clouds just after sunrise, but the forecast is for heavy showers, but I’m watching the blue patches in hope that it clears up.
    14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.Doing the task isn’t the problem 😝 It’s getting started that’s difficult. I sometimes put on my favourite music, or listen to a podcast.
    15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly. Having coffee after putting away the week’s groceries. There is pink blossom on my prunus purpurea, magnolia buds are beginning to colour up, tulips and daffodils in the containers outside the window are beginning to bloom. There are lots of little birds flitting about in the trees. Spring is doing its best to banish the winter cold. This is a regular joy in my life.
    16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity. I am preparing some paintings for a display of my Monday Painters work
    17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.Today it is more like autumn tha spring. There is a thick sea mist. My usual view of countryside is reduced to about 500 yards. Everything looks damp and grey.
    18. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.
    19. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.
    21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    25 Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    26. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    27. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    29. Choose a different route today and see
    what you notice.
    30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.

• Machka9
    Options
    My heart is with the families of Edmonton. <3

_____

I have just awakened after a solid sleep, and suspect I will be awake an hour or so before drifting off again.

Yesterday was quite a day.

We are extremely fortunate that one of my best friends is Head of Radiology at the medical college.

Almost the moment we got home, we had a call from her to tell us the results of my wife’s DaTscan.

Normal. Completely normal.

Not consistent with Parkinson’s, or even with essential tremor.

So that means my wife's movement disorder is not caused by a dopamine deficit (Parkinson’s Syndrome).

No wonder Sinemet didn’t seem to help much.

This is stunning news!

It set me off on another research mission, and I found that one of her medications may be the cause.

She takes a migraine preventative - an anti-convulsive - with a possible side effect of a Parkinson-like disorder.

It’s a relatively rare side effect, which may be why her prescribing neurologist did not consider it, but the more I researched, the more convinced I became.

Wouldn’t it be ironic if the culprit is a medicine one of her two neurologists prescribed, and neither considered it?

I’m trying not to be too hopeful.

After telling her about my finding, she asked me to remove all of those pills from her pill containers.

I would hate for her to suffer from migraines again, but if this medicine is the cause of her movement disorder, it has to go.

Keep your fingers crossed for us!

I would really like for her to get her life back again.

Karen in Virginia

My husband was put on Prochlorperazine once he came out of post traumatic amnesia after his brain injury for anxiety and depression. It is meant as a short-term drug and after a certain amount of time he started showing signs of parkinsonism. At first, I thought it was another symptom of the brain injury. But we brought it up with his main doctor who immediately took him off Prochlorperazine, and he came good again.

Evidently these are common symptom of Prochlorperazine (1% to 10%): Drowsiness, dyskinesia, akathisia, parkinsonism, tremor/tremulousness.

Years ago, when I was in my early 20s, I was put on a medication for migraines. I only stayed on it for a little while because it was causing me all sorts of weird side effects ... the worst one was that one side of my body would go all numb and weak, and I would drop things.

Nexium is another one that gave me some horrible side effects like twitching muscles in my face, muscle spasms in my hands, weakness, chest pain, shortness of breath, difficulties concentrating, depression, lethargy, fatigue.

You just never know about medication.

Machka in Oz