Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    LH85DC wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I need to say something that will lighten the heavy feeling I have today. The weather is NOT helping either.

In just over 6 weeks, my husband and I will be jetting down to Florida for a VERY belated honeymoon. I could NOT be more excited if I tried. I am also extremely nervous and anxious about the whole thing. I really don't know what to expect and that's very thrilling and nerve wracking at the same time. I'm excited to wear my new swimsuit and sun hat I just bought this weekend. It's very chic. I just need to get some cute maxi dresses and a cute swimsuit cover up to wear on the beach. I could also use some helpful tips about traveling by plane.

Thanks!

Make sure you follow the airlines rules about what you can/can't take in your carry-on (and check to make sure your bag is an acceptable size). It'll suck if you have to throw out something when you're going through security! Be aware that belt buckles and sometimes underwire in bras can set off the metal detectors, so just something to think about while getting dressed that day :) I prefer to sleep on planes, so one of those wrap around neck pillows is a must for me, but I know some people can't sleep so you might not need one. Give yourself lots of time to get to the airport and through security. Check BEFORE you leave home if your flight is delayed/cancelled for some reason.

If you've never flown before and aren't sure how your stomach will handle it, pack some ginger pills or Gravol just in case.

Congratulations on your belated honeymoon! I'm sure you'll have an excellent time. My biggest flying tip is to drink plenty of water - I always get soooo dehydrated. And make sure you have a sweater or little travel blanket, planes are usually cold (at least for me, I'm always cold though)!

I'm always cold too. Do they sell travel blankets? Can I bring water or get water on the plane? I try to drink a minimum of 16 ounces of water by 10 am, so hopefully I'll be fine. Just hope I don't have to pee until I can make it to our layover stop.

Thanks for the congratulations. When I say VERY belated, I'm talking 15 years belated. :smiley:

You cannot take a bottle of water through security, however you will be able to buy a bottle once you're through, or bring an empty bottle and fill that. You probably can get water on the plane (short haul may make you pay) however I find they come in such puny small cups that I just buy a big bottle once I'm through security. Ridiculous water drinker here.

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    Confession: I am going to go home now and snuggle the crap out of my cat (even though she HATES it) after all this pet heartbreak.

Jealous! :'( give your kitty an extra squeeze for me.

IMG_20150520_181233390.jpg

:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

Thanks, @CountessKitteh

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    margfish wrote: »
    For all you would-be bikers out there: invest in a pair of padded bike shorts! SO worth it. :)
    I also got a gel seat to replace the one that came on the bike. That combo is perfect!
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Confession - getting pissed off this year again at the horrible cliffhangers in my shows' finales. Seriously... stop. We'll watch next season anyway, why leave it like that for 4 months?
    7725xhre7v12.gif

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    msalbd wrote: »
    I hid a pint of Ben & Jerry's Hazed & Confused by putting it an empty bag of frozen vegetables. My kids...husband...looked right past it as I secretly worked on it. Took me about four days to polish it off and I couldn't decide what was more satisfying. The ice cream itself Or having ice cream JUST FOR ME safely, closely, stored in my freezer and no one pestering me to let them have some! Issues, hu? Layed out for you there, clear as can be!

Hahaha that is genius! Reminds me of the commercial for Chex Mix & putting it in the boring potato chip bag:D.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I need to say something that will lighten the heavy feeling I have today. The weather is NOT helping either.

In just over 6 weeks, my husband and I will be jetting down to Florida for a VERY belated honeymoon. I could NOT be more excited if I tried. I am also extremely nervous and anxious about the whole thing. I really don't know what to expect and that's very thrilling and nerve wracking at the same time. I'm excited to wear my new swimsuit and sun hat I just bought this weekend. It's very chic. I just need to get some cute maxi dresses and a cute swimsuit cover up to wear on the beach. I could also use some helpful tips about traveling by plane.

Thanks!
    Excited for you! How long is the flight? Have you never flown before?

In total, I think the flight is about 6 hours or so. We'll have a 2+ hour layover in Dallas so hopefully we'll have time to do some airport shopping. Is that a thing?! I have no idea. Anyway, I've only flown once when I was five...that was over 30 years ago so I don't really remember it too much. I just remember little packages of peanuts. :smiley:

1. I was born in Dallas, yay!
    2. Yes airport shopping is a thing- at least I make it one! I'm also a people watcher- I could people watch in an airport all day I love it!
    3. Only once?! I LOVE flying! Growing up I wanted to be a detective or a flight attendant :)

@lbuehler89 I also enjoy people watching, although I fear I'll be too tired to really pay attention to anything other than food and a restroom. I am looking forward to shopping in each airport aside from my hometown one because, ya know, I live there. :wink:

I may need to bring an empty suitcase for all my hauls. :smiley:

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Hope you're doing ok...

Same here. I don't know if you posted something that others saw and then deleted it, but I haven't seen you on the thread for a while. Vent if you need to!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    edited May 2015
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    msalbd wrote: »
    I hid a pint of Ben & Jerry's Hazed & Confused by putting it an empty bag of frozen vegetables. My kids...husband...looked right past it as I secretly worked on it. Took me about four days to polish it off and I couldn't decide what was more satisfying. The ice cream itself Or having ice cream JUST FOR ME safely, closely, stored in my freezer and no one pestering me to let them have some! Issues, hu? Layed out for you there, clear as can be!

Nevermind the family..... but what kind of stark raving psychopath takes 4 DAYS to eat a pint?!?! lmao :wink:
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Nice! I can't do that, I will sit and eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked in one sitting :( It's sooooo good!

See, she get's it. lolol

Hahaha that's what I was thinking about taking four days to eat the pint. If I get their Cinnamon Buns flavor it's usually gone in a sitting.

Their Save Our Swirled is so rich that it will take me at least three or four days to finish off the pint.

I confess that I just want to go to Target to see what new food items they have *cough, cough* their new Archer gelato/ice cream & their Talenti exclusive.
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    Rabbit914 wrote: »
    Confession: I want to go on a vacation with just my husband without the 5 and 7 year old. I am willing to let them stay with family for a few days. Not a month or anything, like a long weekend. My husband doesn't trust a sole on this earth with his kids so this won't happen. At least until my kids are out of the house. So I will get a kid free vacation in about 11 years if I'm lucky. This is sad to me because I think couples need time together, but I feel guilty too like he's the better parent because I'm ok with them being with other people for a few days and he won't have it. ok rambling over.

Not rambling! I totally get it! You need some couple time so you can reconnect! Do you have family close? Do you ever get date night?
  • EmilyRose13084
    EmilyRose13084 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I pretend coffee creamer doesn't count
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    Confession: I want to go on a vacation with just my husband without the 5 and 7 year old. I am willing to let them stay with family for a few days. Not a month or anything, like a long weekend. My husband doesn't trust a sole on this earth with his kids so this won't happen. At least until my kids are out of the house. So I will get a kid free vacation in about 11 years if I'm lucky. This is sad to me because I think couples need time together, but I feel guilty too like he's the better parent because I'm ok with them being with other people for a few days and he won't have it. ok rambling over.

Keep working on it. Since my kids were 5 they have spent the entire summer with my parents. It is good for all. My kids are overall very well adjusted, well behaved, and travel like a dream.

What about a family cruise where the kids go to the "camp" and you and hubby get some alone time during the day?

How about you go for a vacation with just you or with you and a girlfriend. This does not help the "couple" time but will refresh you.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »
    I am way behind on this thread.

I confess that when I was a kid I was the one who would be found eating chips or candy and drinking soda for breakfast at school. Those are the things that I could steal easily (without getting caught) on the way to school. If I didn't do that I didn't eat. Every time I read another thread on these forums I get reminded of this. Now, I don't know if that other kid is in even remotely the same situation I was, but I am saddened at all the people who think that you shouldn't even check in on the child.

There is a little girl that I spend time with every week who has been in and out of foster care for her entire life (this is not uncommon). The first thing that foster care wants to do is reunite families, but this isn't always a good thing. Her father melted her ears completely off her head and they placed her back in her home after that happened. The only reason she is in care now is because her father dropped dead of a heart attack. Every time I look at one of these kids I'm reminded that most people don't want to get involved and I get so very angry.

I don't know if this was very coherent and I apologise if not, but I've just come home from one of these visits and I'm very worn down.

Heartbreaking. Bless you for doing what you do! These poor children.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    LH85DC wrote: »

Thanks!

Make sure you follow the airlines rules about what you can/can't take in your carry-on (and check to make sure your bag is an acceptable size). It'll suck if you have to throw out something when you're going through security! Be aware that belt buckles and sometimes underwire in bras can set off the metal detectors, so just something to think about while getting dressed that day :) I prefer to sleep on planes, so one of those wrap around neck pillows is a must for me, but I know some people can't sleep so you might not need one. Give yourself lots of time to get to the airport and through security. Check BEFORE you leave home if your flight is delayed/cancelled for some reason.

If you've never flown before and aren't sure how your stomach will handle it, pack some ginger pills or Gravol just in case.

Congratulations on your belated honeymoon! I'm sure you'll have an excellent time. My biggest flying tip is to drink plenty of water - I always get soooo dehydrated. And make sure you have a sweater or little travel blanket, planes are usually cold (at least for me, I'm always cold though)!

I'm always cold too. Do they sell travel blankets? Can I bring water or get water on the plane? I try to drink a minimum of 16 ounces of water by 10 am, so hopefully I'll be fine. Just hope I don't have to pee until I can make it to our layover stop.

Thanks for the congratulations. When I say VERY belated, I'm talking 15 years belated. :smiley:

You cannot take a bottle of water through security, however you will be able to buy a bottle once you're through, or bring an empty bottle and fill that. You probably can get water on the plane (short haul may make you pay) however I find they come in such puny small cups that I just buy a big bottle once I'm through security. Ridiculous water drinker here.

Missed the water part! You can definitely get water once you get through security. You can also carry through an empty reusable water bottle, and then fill. Lots of airports have started to install water fountains that are compatible with water bottles, so you shouldn't have a problem refilling!
  • MoHousdon
    Options

Thanks!
    Excited for you! How long is the flight? Have you never flown before?

In total, I think the flight is about 6 hours or so. We'll have a 2+ hour layover in Dallas so hopefully we'll have time to do some airport shopping. Is that a thing?! I have no idea. Anyway, I've only flown once when I was five...that was over 30 years ago so I don't really remember it too much. I just remember little packages of peanuts. :smiley:
    Oh, no peanuts these days! (allergies)
    Airport shopping can be fun if it's a nice big airport, otherwise you might be spending 2 hours choosing what to have at Starbucks.
    Take a book, ipad, music or whatever else you like. Bring along your own headphones or they will charge you for the crappy airline ones. Take a nap. Read the Skymall catalogue from cover to cover. I eat everything offered on planes - the food is usually terrible but I think it's fun and part of the vacation experience. It also makes the time go faster and I put 'calories consumed at 30,000 feet' in the Do Not Count category.

I like the idea of eating everything offered as I'm not planning on logging the whole 7 days. I will log in to the app, but not a single morsel of food shall be accounted for. I've waited 15 years for this and I deserve to eat all the foods.

• xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Back in the mad-pad days of my early 20s (6 guys living in a 2 bedroom apt), we had this roommate who would buy a 2 liter of Coke and put it in the fridge, only to have it downed by roommates when he wasn't there. (not me, a couple of broke guys would.)

After a month or so of this, one day he came home with a 2 liter & said "Attention!", and while we watched he picked his nose & put it in the bottle. "I've been doing this for the last 2 weeks" he said.

A couple guys literally turned green. So awesome.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    I have a day off tomorrow and I'm going to try to make lots of dollhouse miniature food for my online hobby shop. Can't decide what to make though. Hopefully I will be more inspired tomorrow. If in doubt, I'll make dollhouse cupcakes. Please inspire me someone!

Dollhouse cheesecake, creme brulee, brownies, candy bars, s'mores, apple pie, chips?
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    Ahh, my first MFP eaten post. @MoHousdon - go to the D terminal for shopping in Dallas and bring your own snacks (beverages purchased after security) was the basic jist of my message. Enjoy your flight and honeymoon!

Thanks, @WestCoastJo82 I will remember D terminal for "delightful shopping in Dallas!" :)

• Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Oh, try to persuade him. It's the best thing ever to get away just the two of you. My parents were great about taking our kids when they were little. Do you ever get a night out even? If yes, maybe try to stretch that to an overnight - stay close to home so that DH knows he can get home quickly if anything goes wrong. Once he realises how fun it is (and you make it worth his while, ifyaknowwhattimean!!) he'll want to do it again.

We do have a date night every now and then. My family lives a few blocks away. We just moved here so I'm hoping after awhile he will settle in to the idea. I guess I should start small like an overnight trip locally- we live near the port and I just want to do a cruise so bad. We went on one before the kids were born with another couple and it was the best vacation ever (his words). I want to do that again. Thanks for the advice.

• kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options

Thanks!

ETA: Also, pack gum or chewy candy, something to chew while taking off & landing (for your ears). I actually wear ear plugs when I fly. They might not work for everyone, and it does say to take them out once you're at altitude, but I just wear them the whole time. It's a little annoying if you have to talk to someone since you can't tell how loud you're talking, but with them in my ears don't pop at all and it is wonderful.

WOW!!! @ShibaEars that was ALL very useful information. I do remember chewing gum on the plane and my ears are very sensitive to elevation changes so that's a must for me. I also have some Beats headphones so I'll be bringing them along too. I will make sure to dress comfortable with a wireless bra (probably workout out clothes since they're super comfortable) so I don't get pulled aside by the NSA.

My husband and I are going to sit down and make a list of all the stuff we need to buy, do and plan. Little tip about me...I LOVE LISTS!!! It's soothing to my mild OCD.

Me too! Me too! I have an Excel spreadsheet for everything groceries, vacations, to do lists!! Lists make me so happy!
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    I've taken on way too big of a project. :/ We have a really big back deck that was starting to peel quite badly in places, so I thought I'd pressure wash it, get the worst of the peeling off and then restain the patches.
    Now about a third is bare-ish wood, another third is combination stain and bare, and the last third is good, solid stain that doesn't want to come off. I have no idea how to proceed. My husband comes home from his 12 day work stint on Sunday and I hate having things that he needs to work on - I'm not working at the moment so I think I should handle 'the house'. I kind of want to hire a sander from Home Depot but those things are heavy buggers and I'm not sure I'm strong enough to wrangle it. Why do I do this to myself?

I wish I could help. Is there a medium size sander you could handle? Could you hire a handyman to just do that portion of the job?
    I bought myself an orbital sander that I love. I'm a single (2 years) mom who took on the house he bought to fix up and no longer wanted. I took it on so that the kids didn't have to move but it means I do a lot of house repair and upgrade. So about the orbital sander - it would be small enough to handle but would take you a long time as it is palm-sized. Is there an in-between size? I know you can figure out a solution! :smiley: You got this!

• nonoelmo
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »

Keep working on it. Since my kids were 5 they have spent the entire summer with my parents. It is good for all. My kids are overall very well adjusted, well behaved, and travel like a dream.

What about a family cruise where the kids go to the "camp" and you and hubby get some alone time during the day?

How about you go for a vacation with just you or with you and a girlfriend. This does not help the "couple" time but will refresh you.

I can't get the edit feature to work but I wanted to add. Time AWAY from the kids is good for them and good for you. They are school aged not month old infants. Don't feel guilty for wanting and needing you and hubby time. You are a good parent. I liked the suggestion of just a one night away to start -- perhaps a stay-cation where you get two full days and the night but can call and if need be (ie emergency) be there quickly.