Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I have a question for you all.
    What do you do when you are really angry/upset?
    I used to smoke, but now I'm not I just want to bury my face in something sweet. I actually don't know how else to make myself feel better right now. I'm stuck at my desk, so gym/run is not an option right now, although I would like it to be. Does anyone know breathing exercises or something like that?

I usually text or email someone who's likely to be sympathetic and totally get my snark on. Multiple obscenities will be typed. If all else fails, I just send my SO a venting email... which he likely won't read, lol, but it makes me feel better to express my frustrations anyway.

When it came to work stuff, I used to have a colleague next to me who did a similar job to mine that I would vent to. He retired recently and his replacement is nowhere near being up to speed. So I'm a little lost for an immediate ear.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Confession: I don’t know what my goal weight should be. I’m 5’9 and currently weigh 221. (That’s a big step since I’ve never admitted that to anyone!) I had the goal set at 200, but didn’t feel like that was low enough. It’s now set at 190, but now I don’t feel like that is low enough either. I weighed 180 the year before my son was born and felt awesome. I weighed 160 when I graduated from high school (and thought I was fat). I know I’ll probably find a weight where I feel comfortable and don’t have to kill myself in the gym every day. I understand all the numbers. Just not sure if I can get back to the 160s mainly because I don’t know if I have the dedication. Looking for some advice from some of you. That seems like a lot of numbers and rambling.

I'm 5'9" and currently 134. I was originally looking to get down to 135, but I'm now looking to pack on some weight again in the form of muscle. Not sure if I want to do that in the form of a bulk or a recomp. I'd be happy to send you some progress photos, if that would help you.

My biggest regret is not weight training more consistently in my weight loss, if I'm being honest.

Eventually, once goals are close to being met or have already passed, this is what it will come down to. If you want to be skinny as a rail, fine. Diet and cardio all day, every day. But unless you are naturally blessed, if you want a fitness magazine cover body, you HAVE to do some strength training.
    Serious question here: What if you don't want that? I'm 47 - the only people who see me naked is my husband and my dog (she judges me - she recently lost 15% of her bodyweight and is smug about it). I live in a climate where I'm covered up a lot of the time. All I really want is to look ok in my clothes. I feel like MFP is often all about lifting weights, and I'm just not interested in doing that.

I'm with you, honestly. I'm good with "not fat"; I don't have any desire to look fit and muscular. Like, yeah, women who are look good and all but for me it is so not worth the effort. I'm 5'4" and at my usual maintenance weight of about 118 lbs I have some ab definition etc just because my body fat is low enough, without having to lift and bulk/cut or whatever. I'm not "skinny as a rail" as one of the quoted posters said or anything, but I look all right.

I mean...I'm not judging other people's fitness/body goals, but I often have felt judged on MFP (not on this thread, obviously) for not having those super-fit muscle-building goals myself.

Well at 5'4" and 118 pounds you probably look awesome, lol.

I'm 5'5" and typically between 133 and 135 pounds. I do have a large frame though (30 inch waist, without really that much fat left there), but still. Still wish I could get below 133 pounds without feeling like I'm starving all the time.

I'm very small-framed (bra band is a 28, so very narrow ribcage, small wrists, the whole bit) so that's why I like to stay there. Honestly, I think I'd look better with another few pounds off but when I try to maintain any lower I feel like I'm starving all the time too, so I get it.

MFP would certainly tell me to lift heavy, try a small bulk, etc to avoid all that and look tighter, but I just can't bring myself to care enough to bother, as I also loathe strength training in every way, shape, and form (and I've tried free weights at home and at the gym, alone and with my husband and with a trainer, classes, machines, bodyweight, DVDs, every way that it's possible, I think.) I'm good with my wimpy runs, downhill skiing, and an hour of walking every day. Sorrynotsorry.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Confession: I don’t know what my goal weight should be. I’m 5’9 and currently weigh 221. (That’s a big step since I’ve never admitted that to anyone!) I had the goal set at 200, but didn’t feel like that was low enough. It’s now set at 190, but now I don’t feel like that is low enough either. I weighed 180 the year before my son was born and felt awesome. I weighed 160 when I graduated from high school (and thought I was fat). I know I’ll probably find a weight where I feel comfortable and don’t have to kill myself in the gym every day. I understand all the numbers. Just not sure if I can get back to the 160s mainly because I don’t know if I have the dedication. Looking for some advice from some of you. That seems like a lot of numbers and rambling.

I'm 5'9" and currently 134. I was originally looking to get down to 135, but I'm now looking to pack on some weight again in the form of muscle. Not sure if I want to do that in the form of a bulk or a recomp. I'd be happy to send you some progress photos, if that would help you.

My biggest regret is not weight training more consistently in my weight loss, if I'm being honest.

Eventually, once goals are close to being met or have already passed, this is what it will come down to. If you want to be skinny as a rail, fine. Diet and cardio all day, every day. But unless you are naturally blessed, if you want a fitness magazine cover body, you HAVE to do some strength training.
    Serious question here: What if you don't want that? I'm 47 - the only people who see me naked is my husband and my dog (she judges me - she recently lost 15% of her bodyweight and is smug about it). I live in a climate where I'm covered up a lot of the time. All I really want is to look ok in my clothes. I feel like MFP is often all about lifting weights, and I'm just not interested in doing that.

I agree with all of this. I feel like there's a lot of pressure from a lot of people to jump on the weight lifting bandwagon for aesthetic reasons, and a lot of people throw out "LIFT HEAVY" as the be all and end all of exercise without considering other people's interest/disinterest/goals/physical limitations/aspirations/time/what have you.

This morning there was a thread started by a person who was depressed because they weighed in at 501 pounds, and one of the first suggestions was that they start squatting and deadlifting. Seriously? SMDH. I get the feeling that people don't read the original post, they just respond with an automatic blurb.

On the other hand, weight lifting (OR resistance training, and THAT IS THE KEY!) is great for reasons aside from aesthetics... it strengthens bones and bone density, aids in living independently into old age, etc. It doesn't mean that you have to squat 300 lbs and bench press 1000, or look like Arnold, or stand in front of the mirror kissing your muscles and taking selfies. I just believe that an exercise routine should be balanced like an "eating routine" (don'twanttosaydiet) should be balanced.

sorry if this came across as judge-y *hangs head in shame and slinks off*

Nope. There was a thread in /r/fitness yesterday, a newbie asking why the veins on their hand were popping out after they lift and does it go away. A lot of the responses were treating them like an idiot and insisting that should be their goal. Maybe if they're 16 year old boys or doing shows? I don't think the average 10k runner is looking to see how long they can pop veins.

I've had a few people get an attitude with me when I've told them I have no interest in lifting. That doesn't mean I don't care about strength training, but when the doctor has told me no SL 5x5, I really don't care about the finer details of min/maxing a deadlift PR. I'm too busy cursing at Chuck Norris from my Total Gym.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oh, and what do the cool moms and kiddos do on Sunday morning? Matching Frozen color manicures of course! (Proud mommy moment, a few months ago just the idea of something touching her hands made her panic, now she loves having her nails painted! Small victories over Sensory Processing Disorder!)
    3r3ommj4l2xq.jpg
    :)
    Aww, how adorable!

Whoo for the small victory:).

My two year old niece is obsessed with Frozen! Her brother the one day asked if she was a boy or a girl & she said no to both & he asked what she was. Her answer...Elsa hahaha.

Haha! That sounds like my daughter too! All Frozen, all the time. If it's not playing on some DVD player in my house on loop, she's still running around singing "Let it Go" and proclaiming herself to be Elsa. I've tried to use that to my advantage with the potty training endeavors, but still no luck...

Potty training at our house too! Does your little one go to daycare or are you a SAHM? Ours goes to daycare and she did pretty well this weekend. Only one accident yesterday, but we put a diaper on when she sleeps.

I'm a SAHM. She knows how everything works, what to do, and how to do it. The thing is, she won't do it. We bought panties and the waterproof ones to cover those, just so I'm not spending all day mopping up puddles of pee when she has accidents. She tries, but she tries after she pees or poops herself. The big goal is to have her potty trained before she starts 3K in September. Add in her sensory challenges and anxiety issues, and I have a feeling we're going to be at it awhile.

Potty training was a nightmare in my house. My son still pooped his pants regularly at 4.5. I had to take him to a therapist, but thankfully it helped. Now he's almost 7.5 and he still won't wipe half the time and still pees his bed once a week (and won't tell me, of course, until it's bedtime and the bed reeks and I have a lot of laundry to do the next day. Then he sleeps on the floor).

His sister still has poop in her underwear every single day. And I still have to remind them to wipe their hands (plus side - I never even consider eating their leftovers. *barf*).

Kids are just SO gross.

We were hoping potty training would be easier for her, because pooping is a challenge in and of itself. The sensation of actually pooping sends her into a complete meltdown, and she has a terrible habit of holding and holding until she's so constipated it makes her sick and we have to give her enemas to make her poop. That's even with giving her a tablespoon of miralax every day by her doctor's recommendation. I seriously hate SPD, not just for that, but for countless other reasons. It's taken so much from her and kept her from so many things already, and it pisses me off! I can't tell you how many nights and times I've spent in tears over it and seeing her struggle every day with it. The worst part is, it's not even recognized that much, I've actually had to explain to a doctor what SPD is because they looked at me like an idiot when I mentioned she had it. I can't tell you how many times I get asked if I'm not sure she's autistic, when she's been tested multiple times and they've said she doesn't meet the criteria for that diagnosis. So far, she's been diagnosed with SPD, anxiety, and "pervasive developmental disorder-non otherwise specified", and already shows signs of possible ADHD. My heart breaks for her, seeing how she struggles so much, but I try to be thankful, because I know it could be so much worse, but there's still times where I just want to scream and cry and yell about how it's so unfair to her! :cry:
    Ok, ending my rant now.

Sounds really difficult for both of you, but she is very lucky to have such a caring mom. I know there are some days I have trouble dealing with sensory overload. It is so hard to imagine what it would be like for a child with a sensory disorder. Please feel free to rant when needed. You need a safe place, too :).

Aww, thank you! I don't talk about it much, because the family likes to act like she doesn't have anything wrong and we exaggerate her issues and make excuses for her being a brat. Yeah, I'm pretty sure all those trips to therapy, all the doctor appointments, and all the meltdowns and judgmental stares are all because we're feeding off drama and attention. :unamused: It can be hard, but I try to remind myself of how far she has come and the progress she's made. :)
    I really feel for you on this. My oldest son was extremely hard work at that age. All my family were sympathetic but still thought he'd 'grow out of it'. I remember telling my mum that I would cut off my right arm if it would just make everything easy for him. I was being 100% totally honest, and I still feel like this, despite him now being 18m and with all that he's achieved. She got really angry with me, and that's when I knew that although she loved us all, she would never understand.
    Hugs to you.

That's what I get all the time. "She'll outgrow it", "she's just being a brat", and my favorite "bust her *kitten* more and she'll quit that"; we've actually been told "if you'd give her a bath more often she wouldn't freak out like that". I guess giving her a shower daily isn't often enough? :unamused: I try to just ignore it, but it still really gets to me.
    Yeah. You almost wish a special needs child on some people, to see if they'd finally get it.

(Edited because I forgot a few words...and to fix the quote.)

When I was preg with my son and we found out he'd have special needs I was told by several well-meaning people. "Well of all the people to have a special needs child I'm glad it is you." (I knew they meant they thought I could handle it and could educate myself on the needs and resources and so on - including having the patience to deal with it...) but really... what a thing to say!!! I adore my son. He is a very unique boy and with that come many "normal" things that he will "never" do and that is ok. I would not change him and work hard to maximize his unique potential. This poem helped me a lot when I first learned the diagnosis while pregnant.

WELCOME TO HOLLAND

by
    Emily Perl Kingsley.

c1987 by Emily Perl Kingsley. All rights reserved

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.

I love this! Thank you for sharing!
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Have a question that I feel I can ask here without ridicule. How many steps a day would you consider sedentary vs lightly active. I try to hit 10-12k a day and wondering if I have my activity level set correctly as I changed it from sedentary to lightly active

MFP asks what your lifestyle is (office-manual labor) then what your exercise plan is. So the question to you is do you walk the steps as part of your work day?
    I work in the office but move around very little while here so I have mine set to sedentary with 7+ hours of exercise planned per week.

I work in an office so most of the steps are taken outside work hours..walking every night, doing the stairs at home even walking laps in my backyard ;)

Do you log those walks as workouts? From my understanding, if you log those walks, you don't want to change your activity level, but if you aren't counting those things as planned workouts, then you should change your activity level.
    I haven't logged for years, but to use myself as an example, I work in an office - super sedentary, but I walk to work (3 miles round-trip) and walk my dog and hit around 12K steps a day. No way am I going to log that walking, so I would set myself to active and then only log things that were above and beyond my typical walking - so a fitness class or a 3 mile run or something. I think this is where the TDEE method - vs eating exercise calories camps get involved :)
  • heartsstarspll
    heartsstarspll Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I can't believe I am admitting this... but I have talked about more sensitive things in this thread so WTH. :lol: I had this problem until I was about 13. It seemed to stop when I was put on Prozac for my depression. I don't know if that's what stopped it, but even when they changed my medicine it was no longer an issue. I can't help but to think it had something to do with it.

I seriously can't believe it either, but I'll bring my confession to the game as well. I feel quite bad about some of the slightly judgmental posts from parents (towards their kids) about bedwetting issues. I had the same issue, and it didn't go away until I was FIFTEEN. Yes, I said FIF. TEEN. It was embarrassing and horrible for me, and thinking that my parents would have been ashamed or upset about it or talked about it like the ones who mentioned it above makes me even more embarrassed. Nobody wets their bed on purpose. :-/

awww yea. :/ I shared because I felt like it would show that it's not something that is horrible, I mean, I'm glad I don't have that problem now.. lol But I don't think my parents were angry at me for it. Like you said, nobody does it on purpose (that I know of.. lol). It is something you have to grow out of, some of us just take a little longer. I might have done it longer if I hadn't started medication, but maybe it was about to stop anyway. If I had a kid I would certainly be understanding if they came to me and told me they wet the bed, I would just change the sheets and wash them and that would be it.
  • joeu_56
    joeu_56 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I once pulled a box of discarded donuts out of the garbage at work and ate them. I did not want them to go to waste. Please tell me someone else has done that, even once.....
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

I life weights for bone health. I'm pretty clumsy, so I know I'll fall a bit when I'm older (totally ate it running the other day, and can't blame it on anything other than falling over my own feet) so I lift weights as bone-breaking insurance for when I'm old and frail. More muscle can also increase your calorie needs too, so people who want to eat more can benefit by having more muscle. But really, I would say if you don't want to, and are happy with how you look, just do what you will do consistently.
  • louinda1
    louinda1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm proud to be a Mum to my special needs daughter. She is the most wonderful gift I could ever have in my life.....I get good days with her & I get bad days.....tell me what parent doesn't.
    She is 26 years old & still lives at home & I treasure every single moment I have with her both the good & the bad & I thank the universe everyday for giving me such a perfect special angel to care for & look after every single day.....She is my rock & the sparkle in my life & I love my life with her & the wonderful world we create every day. <3
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I agree with all of this. I feel like there's a lot of pressure from a lot of people to jump on the weight lifting bandwagon for aesthetic reasons, and a lot of people throw out "LIFT HEAVY" as the be all and end all of exercise without considering other people's interest/disinterest/goals/physical limitations/aspirations/time/what have you.

This morning there was a thread started by a person who was depressed because they weighed in at 501 pounds, and one of the first suggestions was that they start squatting and deadlifting. Seriously? SMDH. I get the feeling that people don't read the original post, they just respond with an automatic blurb.

On the other hand, weight lifting (OR resistance training, and THAT IS THE KEY!) is great for reasons aside from aesthetics... it strengthens bones and bone density, aids in living independently into old age, etc. It doesn't mean that you have to squat 300 lbs and bench press 1000, or look like Arnold, or stand in front of the mirror kissing your muscles and taking selfies. I just believe that an exercise routine should be balanced like an "eating routine" (don'twanttosaydiet) should be balanced.

sorry if this came across as judge-y *hangs head in shame and slinks off*

No, not judge-y. I understand. I don't want a body builder physique, but I've found that since I don't have weight to lose that setting lifting goals keeps me inspired and motivated, which then results in muscle definition. Sometimes, that's the only type of physical progress to make, particularly for someone like me who doesn't do much cardio anymore.

I'm actually running a lifting program currently as well, my point with my post was that not everyone should feel like the should need to. I think there's an inordinate amount of pressure to conform to one method of doing something. It makes me a sad panda.

@JPW1990 /r/fitness reminds me of the rest of MFP sometimes. Now I sound like one of those "people are mean!" people. /r/xxfitness is more welcoming and tolerates questions like that a lot more readily. And there's nothing stupid about that question!

Confession: I've remained in the shadows in this thread because I was afraid people wouldn't like me. I'm always worried that what I type will come across wrong.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options

That made me smile!

• Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I plan on using up my remaining calories today on cookies and candy. :p
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Confession: I blew my calorie goal. Again. :(
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    louinda1 wrote: »
    I'm proud to be a Mum to my special needs daughter. She is the most wonderful gift I could ever have in my life.....I get good days with her & I get bad days.....tell me what parent doesn't.
    She is 26 years old & still lives at home & I treasure every single moment I have with her both the good & the bad & I thank the universe everyday for giving me such a perfect special angel to care for & look after every single day.....She is my rock & the sparkle in my life & I love my life with her & the wonderful world we create every day. <3
    That's beautiful. How lucky you are to have each other!
  • levan11
    levan11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Tried to think of a confession all weekend and failed! So these are more random thoughts than actual confessions...

Saturday's breakfast consisted of 1/2 a pack of wildberry skittles, 1/4 of a taco bell chicken quesadilla, and a chocolate chip cookie for good measure. I'm not even really concerned about the calories but sometimes I question whether I should be allowed to adult anymore. Also, I frequently use the word "adult" as a verb.

I am a bit irrationally angry at my boyfriend at the moment because he's not coming to my best friend's wedding in September because his best friend is getting married on the same day. Obviously, this is in no way his fault, but I have to pay for/stay in a hotel room by myself all weekend?! C'mon!

I fully intend on jumping on the FIFA World Cup bandwagon tonight. I love watching soccer but get annoyed that it's rarely shown on TV channels that I get.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

I can't believe I am admitting this... but I have talked about more sensitive things in this thread so WTH. :lol: I had this problem until I was about 13. It seemed to stop when I was put on Prozac for my depression. I don't know if that's what stopped it, but even when they changed my medicine it was no longer an issue. I can't help but to think it had something to do with it.

I seriously can't believe it either, but I'll bring my confession to the game as well. I feel quite bad about some of the slightly judgmental posts from parents (towards their kids) about bedwetting issues. I had the same issue, and it didn't go away until I was FIFTEEN. Yes, I said FIF. TEEN. It was embarrassing and horrible for me, and thinking that my parents would have been ashamed or upset about it or talked about it like the ones who mentioned it above makes me even more embarrassed. Nobody wets their bed on purpose. :-/

I don't really think the parents were being judgmental, at least IMO. Sometimes parents just need a sounding board when things are frustrating, because they don't want to take it out on the child and it's nice to have people who will listen. I wet the bed until I was 7. My parents had to wake me up before they went to bed, and that usually worked.

I'm sure it wasn't their intention to sound that way, and that they are all loving parents who just wanted to let out some frustration. :) It's just that, as a person who lived in the position of the child, it just hits me on a bit of a personal level, like I'm imagining that my mom or dad said that about me and I heard it/saw it. Obviously it's my own personal issue, and I wasn't meaning to criticize anyone. :)
  • vypressme
    vypressme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I had a Big Mac yesterday after a long, long time. I kept thinking about it so I thought I could have one just this time.
    I thought I would love the taste, that it would remind me of my old eating habits, and that I would also feel guilty afterwards.

Funny thing - it didn't taste as good as I had remembered, and I asked myself "is THIS what you were craving for, all this time?"

Oh, and I didn't even feel guilty afterwards.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    vypressme wrote: »
    I had a Big Mac yesterday after a long, long time. I kept thinking about it so I thought I could have one just this time.
    I thought I would love the taste, that it would remind me of my old eating habits, and that I would also feel guilty afterwards.

Funny thing - it didn't taste as good as I had remembered, and I asked myself "is THIS what you were craving for, all this time?"

Oh, and I didn't even feel guilty afterwards.

Ohh boy I love me some Big Macs extra sauce and pickles please!!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I don't really think the parents were being judgmental, at least IMO. Sometimes parents just need a sounding board when things are frustrating, because they don't want to take it out on the child and it's nice to have people who will listen. I wet the bed until I was 7. My parents had to wake me up before they went to bed, and that usually worked.

I'm sure it wasn't their intention to sound that way, and that they are all loving parents who just wanted to let out some frustration. :) It's just that, as a person who lived in the position of the child, it just hits me on a bit of a personal level, like I'm imagining that my mom or dad said that about me and I heard it/saw it. Obviously it's my own personal issue, and I wasn't meaning to criticize anyone. :)

You didn't criticize :). It is good to be reminded of both sides.

• crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Kill me now!! I keep allowing myself to go over my count by about a whole day's worth of calories. I seriously need to reevaluate myself and my methods. What I am doing to myself now, is not working. I don't want to blow what little progress I have made already. I am trying to stay honest about how much I am inhaling during the day, but it sure is tough to look back and admit to myself that I am doing this.